lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
lenjennings wrote:Yeah, you shouldn't have to do your own halftones anyway. That's the job of a production artist and most designers have no clue on how to do this. It's actually pretty complex to do manually which is why there's software that does it for you now and it isn't Photoshop. But you would have to design the art to go on a white or black background, or both if the design was going on both light and dark shirts. Just my .02 cents.

Fair enough Thanks for the thoughts. Ill just keep doodling at each derby and hopefully with practice Ill put together something that works and get the knack of making this half tone stuff look good ^_^

mhmanos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhmanos

It would be nice if all shirt entries were posted WITHOUT knowing who drew it. Be judged on the art and not the artist/drama attached.

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

no cats!!! please no more cats!

scrabblefish

quality posts: 12 Private Messages scrabblefish

As predicted, a plethora of cats. But I am thoroughly enjoying the variety of art styles and caliber of work being presented even if I only get a handful of the Internet references. Bravo artists!

rollelectric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rollelectric

I like how "art style" becomes "famous painting".

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

It just occurred to me that Nyan Cat is a copyrighted character... I wonder how they'll handle this.

tarmawolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarmawolf

Good lord. This is why woot needs to limit submissions to ONE per artist per derby. It's bad enough seeing the same crappy design memes by the same artists who can't seem to step away from cats and n.n faces, but to see multiple entries is just aggravating.

escapecar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages escapecar

Sigh. All these cats, and no CATS.

There is no great justice.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
Flashkill wrote:My guess with the way things have been going lately is that votes won't matter anymore and the staff will just pick their favorites and that is how winners will be selected.

That would never happen because it's impossible to figure out what people would want to buy... so those who actually buy shirts should give the votes. (Heck, I don't even get why some of the top votes are even at the top)

It's a good system to let the sonsumers vote....unless you ask your friends for votes. That's just wrong. -_-'

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I find it interesting how many well done shirts don't even following the currant Derby.

This derby is no exception. The theme is the best things about the internet yet i see plenty of shirts that mention viruses and other things that suck about the internet. Also... some shirts aren't done in a historical art style but instead represent an old painting.
I've learned that this site allows users to stray off topic a bit. Should this be allowed in future derbies or do you guys think the theme should be absolute?

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Oh wow, you're right!

sunaness wrote:It just occurred to me that Nyan Cat is a copyrighted character... I wonder how they'll handle this.

lilsquiggle

sunaness wrote:It just occurred to me that Nyan Cat is a copyrighted character... I wonder how they'll handle this.

This isn't the first time Nyan Cat has turned up in a derby Nyan's Dream

Generally speaking, when it comes to copyrighted characters and trademarks etc, things seem to be ok if the art style/drawing is different enough from the original that its not just copy pasted etc. Of course, I am a bit of a newbie to the deeper side of the derbies, so Im sure an "old timer" can explain/word this better than I can

EDIT: Has the derby submissions/votes page died for anyone else? Im just getting a server error whenever I try to go and have a nose at more submissions.

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Hooray. Post my edit, derby page starts working. Typical. Also, I think theres some kind of editception going on in this post >.>

4khaos

quality posts: 8 Private Messages 4khaos

Why did we get so many "Starry Starry Night" variations...?

mhmanos wrote:It would be nice if all shirt entries were posted WITHOUT knowing who drew it. Be judged on the art and not the artist/drama attached.

It's not that difficult to identify who the artist is by their style and colour choice. I think it's particularly easy to identify ramyb and walmazan (and ochopika if she has a cat design).

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

is it just me or does it seem like the vote counts this week are very very low?

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 86 Private Messages Thirdbase9
tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

You're going to print the 3 lowest voted for.

I don't know.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 86 Private Messages Thirdbase9
rollelectric wrote:I like how "art style" becomes "famous painting".

When I can name the painting you know it is famous.

BTW how do you pronounce Van Gogh?

I don't know.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

I find this derby to be particularly aggravating. as an artist myself, I very much respect the entries that have followed the clearly stated theme. These crap renditions of famous paintings should be disqualified. Not. On. Theme.

lilsquiggle

cherylfrancis wrote:I find this derby to be particularly aggravating. as an artist myself, I very much respect the entries that have followed the clearly stated theme. These crap renditions of famous paintings should be disqualified. Not. On. Theme.

Yeah I think a lot of wooters are waiting to see the rejectonator return and put some of these designs to rest. However, I suspect a lot of the famous painting renditions, even whilst not quite on theme, will probably managed to slide past rejection.

cherylfrancis

lilsquiggle wrote:Yeah I think a lot of wooters are waiting to see the rejectonator return and put some of these designs to rest. However, I suspect a lot of the famous painting renditions, even whilst not quite on theme, will probably managed to slide past rejection.

It's an easy way out. Would love to see a derby requesting versions of famous paintings, but this isn't it.

lilsquiggle

cherylfrancis wrote:It's an easy way out. Would love to see a derby requesting versions of famous paintings, but this isn't it.

Indeed. In all fairness, my first sketch up was exactly that, and then someone pointed out the exact wording of the derby theme and I head-desked and never bothered to submit that one XD It is easy to wander off topic with an idea and then never go back to the derby description to check if its actually on topic.

I do think it would be nice to see the rejectonator drawing harder lines around the derby topics and not letting people slide off track. If nothing else it would encourage people to check after doing a mock up that they definitely are on topic.

beso0282

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beso0282

This derby has gone to the cats. I'm sorry, but I will not vote for any shirt that has a cat. For the love of shirt designs, think of something else.

Everything is art.

birdblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdblue

I'm going to push the B button here.
Derby is fine as is.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
lilsquiggle wrote:Yeah I think a lot of wooters are waiting to see the rejectonator return and put some of these designs to rest. However, I suspect a lot of the famous painting renditions, even whilst not quite on theme, will probably managed to slide past rejection.

To be fair, if the rendition of the famous painting also mimics the famous painting style, then it should get a pass. If it's just a comic of a famous painting, then *bzzzt* DQ.

Maybe the change up to the derby will be "We give up, no more themes, draw whatever you want, you do anyway"

move along

cherylfrancis

j5 wrote:To be fair, if the rendition of the famous painting also mimics the famous painting style, then it should get a pass. If it's just a comic of a famous painting, then *bzzzt* DQ.

Maybe the change up to the derby will be "We give up, no more themes, draw whatever you want, you do anyway"

That's crazy talk.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
beso0282 wrote:This derby has gone to the cats. I'm sorry, but I will not vote for any shirt that has a cat. For the love of shirt designs, think of something else.

I would then highly advise that you vote for every shirt that DOESN"T have a cat on it, no matter how horrid or unwearable you think it is. This is the only way to vote AGAINST something.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
j5 wrote:Maybe the change up to the derby will be "We give up, no more themes, draw whatever you want, you do anyway"

that's not a change.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
no1 wrote:that's not a change.

The result is not, the announcement is.
Difference being; same result, less pretense.

move along

no1

tgentry wrote:Not sure if it's clear here, but this little experiment will kick in Derby #262. We just wanted to whet your appetite for something different and get you guessing!

three simultaneous contests: the regular shirt derby we have now, an auxiliary derby with community-generated themes, and a community contest to generate the theme. the auxiliary derby uses the winning community theme from the previous week, and prints on monday. the community theme contest uses up/down voting.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

5 new shirt colors for Woot's 5th birthday?

no1

no moar derbies?

no1

a partnership with threadless?

no1

one derby entry - one design, but on multiple shirt colours?

no1

derpy awards for dumbest/ugliest/most awful derby entry/entries (similar to yesteryear's "monkey prize" for the long-gone woot photoshop contests)

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I think people confused this derby with the Memes derby.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

Top selection: In addition to color, you can choose to have your shirt run as a T, a Vneck, a longsleeve, or a Unisex Tank.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

no1

kilts/skirts/sox derby

no1

no1 wrote:kilts/skirts/sox derby

thong.woot.com

no1

all derby all the time: seven derbies per week, each starting a different day of the week. something like three or four running simultaneously at all times.

no1

no1 wrote:thong.woot.com

tattoos.woot.com

no1

the tgentry derby: mr. gentry submits 200 designs and we vote on the top three to print