zortfish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zortfish
cherylfrancis wrote:AhHAAAH!! Good point! I see it completely different now. Thank you! Btw, it WOULD look cool with some graffiti splashed across the marble. LOVE!!

This is obviously an image from the Sixteenth Chapel, I have no idea how you didn't understand it earlier.

wittywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wittywooter
zortfish wrote:This is obviously an image from the Sixteenth Chapel, I have no idea how you didn't understand it earlier.

Obviously a fan of JBIEB or David Letterman.

pm820

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pm820
logicdreamer314 wrote:I am rather dismayed to see that this has gotten votes. It is very unfeeling to make fun of a person with a mental disorder. The FAIL meme is best reserved for drunk people who are out to win themselves a Darwin Award. Plus, it makes sense in the context of the derby, but it is going to be hard to explain it to someone on the street (and they would probably just be disgusted and unamused once they got it).

If you don't like what you see here or if the freedom of expression disturbs you, it is always your option to just "Van Gogh" away.

wittywooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wittywooter
Re: Beauteous Minimalist Internet Cat

Minimalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the concept in the arts. For other uses, see Minimalism (disambiguation).
Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is set out to expose the essence, essentials or identity of a subject through eliminating all non-essential forms, features or concepts.
As a specific movement in the arts it is identified with developments in post–World War II Western Art, most strongly with American visual arts in the 1960s and early 1970s. Prominent artists associated with this movement include Donald Judd, John McCracken, Agnes Martin, Dan Flavin, Robert Morris, Anne Truitt, and Frank Stella. It is rooted in the reductive aspects of Modernism, and is often interpreted as a reaction against Abstract expressionism and a bridge to Postminimal art practices.

zortfish

wittywooter wrote:Minimalism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the concept in the arts. For other uses, see Minimalism (disambiguation).
Minimalism describes movements in various forms of art and design, especially visual art and music, where the work is set out to expose the essence, essentials or identity of a subject through eliminating all non-essential forms, features or concepts.
As a specific movement in the arts it is identified with developments in post–World War II Western Art, most strongly with American visual arts in the 1960s and early 1970s. Prominent artists associated with this movement include Donald Judd, John McCracken, Agnes Martin, Dan Flavin, Robert Morris, Anne Truitt, and Frank Stella. It is rooted in the reductive aspects of Modernism, and is often interpreted as a reaction against Abstract expressionism and a bridge to Postminimal art practices.

tldr

artguyaaron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artguyaaron
Re: Internet Art History

nice design, love all the references

vega2010

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vega2010

I think I might like it more if the 0 and 1's where individually one colored and not the overlay of colors.

Re: ASCII Night

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis
zortfish wrote:This is obviously an image from the Sixteenth Chapel, I have no idea how you didn't understand it earlier.

haha...I understood perfectly well where the image was from, I just didn't see the sculptural part. I don't 'Beliebe" you anyway. Sixteenth! ~hardy har harrrrr

dmaz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dmaz
Re: Relay

Pretty...but definitely off topic enough to get removed...although I doubt they'll remove it.

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
Re: YA RLY!

Id just like to say thank you for all the votes on this. Really appreciated on my first submission. Its given me a lovely boost of confidence and now I fully intend to try and submit something on a reasonably regular basis. Hopefully with enough practice (and some good ideas) Ill start moving up the derby ranks So yes, thanks all!

glorinmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorinmann
Re: bitmap rise

A tribute to the Minitel ! Brilliant !
Only a french could do that...

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
pm820 wrote:If you don't like what you see here or if the freedom of expression disturbs you, it is always your option to just "Van Gogh" away.

I think it's viable for him to express his reaction to the designer though, because a designer will never improve if all they get is "yep looks good gmv" and they're left wondering why their design didn't get any votes.

As for the design: As an art history buff, I got it immediately. However, that was in the context of the derby. On the street, I might or might not "get" it without some more obvious reference to Van Gogh, perhaps something more than just painting the ear in his style. Plus the "FAIL" text really is so different from the painterly-ness of the rest that it just feels out of place. As for the composition, it's well done, the colors work well together, and I like how you made the wood pattern.

As an individual, I think the only reason this doesn't come across as offensive to me is because I'm a) into art history, and b) for some reason keep mentally editing out the "fail" text. With the text though, it's pretty offensive, and I tend to agree with the above that in life, the fail meme is best reserved for mosquitos or darwin awards, not the mentally ill.

Edit: Gotta love the woot-censor. "Mosquito" for id10t? Ha

runnerfrog13

vega2010 wrote:I think I might like it more if the 0 and 1's where individually one colored and not the overlay of colors.

If they were, would it count as a text-only design?

runnerfrog13

thatquietgir1 wrote:Thanks to all who voted before.. hopefully this one won't get rejected too! And for any of you unsure of the reference, here is a link to the awesome game Robot Unicorn Attack:

http://www.boredville.com/34066/Robot-Unicorn-Attack-Game

I'm pretty sure it's the outline of the unicorn that will get you, since it's almost exactly like the original. Good move getting rid of the text though, that was also pretty close.

thevikingartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thevikingartist
runnerfrog13 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the outline of the unicorn that will get you, since it's almost exactly like the original. Good move getting rid of the text though, that was also pretty close.

I'm pretty sure the only thing that got the last design rejected was the text since it was the title of the game and that was most definitely copyrighted.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: The Golden Age

@Oubliette:
Right you are! I wish I could have done a little better job on parts, but I'm glad you made the connection!

@orabbit:
It was the only idea that really clicked for me. Sorry to see you drop out of the fog.

@RandomLynx:
That was pretty funny! Pretty soon CD will be as obsolete as VHS.

@aznZephyr:
Thanks! I wanted to get away from cats. Although, the napster icon kind of looks like a cat...

@PixelPants:
Thanks, P pants! I worried that they made it a little muddy. I'm glad you like!

harzack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harzack
Re: The Creation of Nerd

Apparently it is known as the "Sistine" Chapel because of the Pope "Sixtus IV" (as Rocky IV: D).

ibaitxo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibaitxo

congrats! fantastic work

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
glorinmann wrote:A tribute to the Minitel ! Brilliant !
Only a french could do that...

;-)))thanks a lot for your constant support

violetserenity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages violetserenity

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!! Without doubt, this is my favorite design. It's the perfect representation for this Derby! :-)

harzack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harzack

Thanks to everyone who commented and voted this design.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: Across the Starry Night: A study in nude

What would be funny is if this unseats TJost as the latest sub to print.

move along

CVBrennan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan
Re: Kitteh Nouveau

I like this design! Good stuff.

CVBrennan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CVBrennan

This is my favorite in the FOG. Nice composition with great references to art history and internet kittens. I know others did similar designs but I think this one is the prettiest!

zortfish

cherylfrancis wrote:haha...I understood perfectly well where the image was from, I just didn't see the sculptural part. I don't 'Beliebe" you anyway. Sixteenth! ~hardy har harrrrr

Maybe it was from the Fifteenth Chapel.

oubliette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oubliette
writermist wrote:It's even in spanish :D
I got relatives who would love this

I LOVE this. It captures how i feel every time I see a friggin lolcat.

Fantastic work!

sheviarnold

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sheviarnold
Re: FAV me please

I love the concept, but It would have been so much better if it really did look like a Twitter profile or post.

jstjred

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jstjred
Re: ASCII Night

Isn't there a website that you can upload an image to and get these results?

jstjred

jstjred wrote:Isn't there a website that you can upload an image to and get these results?

Like this one...

http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/

jstjred

jstjred wrote:Like this one...

http://www.glassgiant.com/ascii/

Or this

http://www.text-image.com/

artguyaaron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artguyaaron
jstjred wrote:Or this

http://www.text-image.com/

was not aware of these sites, but good to know

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Thank you morningsong, gertiestn, kharmazero, elosben, artguyaaron and violet serenity for supporting the design.

manikx66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manikx66

nicly done

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
valasia wrote:If this doesn't win I'm gonna be so sad. I really want one.

if this does win ill be sad because this won over better designs B^(

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
runnerfrog13 wrote:I'm pretty sure it's the outline of the unicorn that will get you, since it's almost exactly like the original. Good move getting rid of the text though, that was also pretty close.

yeah, I figured it's a bit of a gamble still, but I've seen at least one shirt posted after this one that was rejected, so I'm thinking I'm safe.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
thevikingartist wrote:I'm pretty sure the only thing that got the last design rejected was the text since it was the title of the game and that was most definitely copyrighted.

Yeah so true. Idk why I thought changing the colors and free handing the text would make it less copyrighted...lol

rodjav88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rodjav88
Re: Epic Fail

kill this design. kill it with fire. anything that makes light of the greatest artist who ever lived has no place but a fire. talk about fail.

rodjav88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rodjav88

YES! YES! YES! i would totally buy this shirt.

kmmkmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmmkmc
Re: The Sleep of Reason Produces Memes

How can this not be in the fog. So cool.

rmgiles5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmgiles5

I adore this shirt! I really hope that it gets printed--I will definitely be buying one!