WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

All that glitters. Nothing made of it can stay. There's a light in all our souls that shines like it. We're talkin' about gold, yo, and this week's a special Derby in that we're bustin' out the Gold Metallic Ink! Give us your most golden designs, just keep in mind these rules:

• No Mario, Doctor Who, Zelda, Star Wars, Monty Python, or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths.
  • No text-only designs.
  • You may use gold (#b69624) metallic shimmer ink as one of your six total ink colors.
  • You cannot use halftones/gradients in metallic ink.
  • The smallest line we can print using metallic ink is a 4 point line in Illustrator or an 8 pixel line in Photoshop (based on your full size artwork).

‚ÄčAnd hey! Looking for the "changes" we hinted at earlier? Check out our changes to the Derby and give us your feedback! But give it to us over there in that thread and keep this one focused on the Gold Derby. 

Quality Posts

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Hey guys,

We're polishing up the final wording on the derby changes and will have it up shortly.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates

I predict no less than 12 indiana jones themed entries...

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Awesome!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tgentry wrote:Hey guys,

We're polishing up the final wording on the derby changes and will have it up shortly.

thank the tgentry! i didn't think "gold ink" merited the extra "there's change a-coming!"

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:thank the tgentry! i didn't think "gold ink" merited the extra "there's change a-coming!"

haha, ditto. "anti-climactic" popped into my head.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cdrewlow
no1 wrote:thank the tgentry! i didn't think "gold ink" merited the extra "there's change a-coming!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that was a letdown.

benjaminleebates

ditto

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

No Mario ban this week? Doesn't he, like, collect gold? Isn't that his thing?

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

"Polishing" it up, eh? I hope it glitters when you're done. Stay golden, tgentry.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

There go my dreams of having more than 24 hours to prepare a derby entry...

Gold ink, eh? I predict a plethora of Mario and Sonic designs centered around gold coins and rings, respectively.

princessbunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princessbunny
tjschaeffer wrote:There go my dreams of having more than 24 hours to prepare a derby entry...

Gold ink, eh? I predict a plethora of Mario and Sonic designs centered around gold coins and rings, respectively.

true... unfortunately.

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Am I just dense? I don't understand how anyone jumped to the conclusion that gold ink is the new derby rule. That's not what was said. ???

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

In b4 C3PO

move along

no1

cherylfrancis wrote:Am I just dense? I don't understand how anyone jumped to the conclusion that gold ink is the new derby rule. That's not what was said. ???

nobody said the change had to be a new derby rule. it could be (have been) anything.

cherylfrancis

Just sayin that I read this comment as an "Oh, by the way...stay tuned." It says nothing about gold.

cherylfrancis

omarfeliciano

"No Mario, Doctor Who, Zelda, Star Wars, Monty Python, or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths."

So, basically what you are saying is that we can be creative? ;)

benjaminleebates

Now, enforce it.

cherylfrancis

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

as someone who has never used metallic colours before on photoshop/illustrator i have a question for you guys who have.

I noticed the description has "(#b69624) Metallic shimmer ink", but the only metallic colour library i have is "pantone metallic coated", is that the same thing?

Thanks!

no1

cherylfrancis wrote:Just sayin that I read this comment as an "Oh, by the way...stay tuned." It says nothing about gold.

tgentry's post came 2 minutes after the theme was posted. some of us read the theme - keeping in mind the announcement last week that changes were coming - with no "stay tuned" post present.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
cherylfrancis wrote:Would like to see some Olympic gold.

Just be careful. They go after anyone who they feel is infringing on their property.

j5

cherylfrancis wrote:R2D2 gettin his Cash for Gold.

Bummer they changed the rule mid-stream. That would be comedy.....gold.

ETA: In B4 Princess Bride.
That property certainly has some life left in it, I'm sure.

move along

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

hmmm I have two different ideas

Nerdy but not infringing upon Olympic IP

Something with this guy

cherylfrancis

bradalee wrote:as someone who has never used metallic colours before on photoshop/illustrator i have a question for you guys who have.

I noticed the description has "(#b69624) Metallic shimmer ink", but the only metallic colour library i have is "pantone metallic coated", is that the same thing?

Thanks!

I don't think it matters if it's the same thing. Woot just wants to see the designs using the combination they gave. In your photoshop color palette, type in the stated code below the rgb on the left. You better use it, you might get rejected if it doesn't look accurate.

omarfeliciano

bradalee wrote:

Double click one of the two colors on the Color Picker and write the code "b69624" next to the pound symbol. It'll show you the exact color.

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi

"or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths."

Just to clarify for the masses... I'm assuming this is just going to be a "use pop culture at your own risk" derby. Something that springs to mind right away is Portal, other things are a little more iffy like say Harry Potter. I know it had a print in recent memory, but does it fall into dead horse territory? Mysterious.

bradalee

cherylfrancis wrote:I don't think it matters if it's the same thing. Woot just wants to see the designs using the combination they gave. In your photoshop color palette, type in the stated code below the rgb on the left. You better use it, you might get rejected if it doesn't look accurate.

Oh i plan to use it, i'm just not sure if i paste (b69624)into my normal PANTONE library if woot will see that and know it's meant to be metallic or if i need to select a new colour library entirely.

bradalee

omarfeliciano wrote:Double click one of the two colors on the Color Picker and write the code "b69624" next to the pound symbol. It'll show you the exact color.

Ah thanks mate, got it now

cherylfrancis

bradalee wrote:Oh i plan to use it, i'm just not sure if i paste (b69624)into my normal PANTONE library if woot will see that and know it's meant to be metallic or if i need to select a new colour library entirely.

oh, yes, if they have your file, they will be able to read it

benjaminleebates

rasabi wrote:"or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths."

Just to clarify for the masses... I'm assuming this is just going to be a "use pop culture at your own risk" derby. Something that springs to mind right away is Portal, other things are a little more iffy like say Harry Potter. I know it had a print in recent memory, but does it fall into dead horse territory? Mysterious.

They wouldn't have said "Big Changes" last week, if this "pop culture at your own risk" clause was just for this derby. I would expect (hope) this to be an ongoing rule.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51
rasabi wrote:"or any other horses that have been beaten well past their deaths."

Cats also spring to mind, but I doubt that was the intent.

j5

bradalee wrote:Oh i plan to use it, i'm just not sure if i paste (b69624)into my normal PANTONE library if woot will see that and know it's meant to be metallic or if i need to select a new colour library entirely.

I only have GIMP, and the closest I can get is the Pantalones color library. Not suitable for Woot shirts.

move along

benjaminleebates

kevlar51 wrote:Cats also spring to mind, but I doubt that was the intent.

bacon... too

bradalee

benjaminleebates wrote:They wouldn't have said "Big Changes" last week, if this "pop culture at your own risk" clause was just for this derby. I would expect (hope) this to be an ongoing rule.

I would hate if pop culture was totally removed, most of the shirts i buy are pop-culture. Besides, i love a good pop-culture design that makes me laugh or impressed by how clever it is.

A 50/50 split would be amazing though.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

So no halftones/gradients means that if there is any shading or anything applied to the gold ink, it has to be a solid color? In other words, haltoning another color over the gold ink is rejectable, correct?

Is this just so we don't create halftones that cause the gold ink to go below minimum line width?

Sorry for the confusion, I just want to be sure I'm understanding.

rasabi

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rasabi
benjaminleebates wrote:They wouldn't have said "Big Changes" last week, if this "pop culture at your own risk" clause was just for this derby. I would expect (hope) this to be an ongoing rule.

If that were the case I think they should just make a "no pop-culture currently in the reckoning" rule.

cherylfrancis

j5 wrote:I only have GIMP, and the closest I can get is the Pantalones color library. Not suitable for Woot shirts.

Can you save or export from GIMP? Stupid question I know, but it's easy to open up in photoshop and create channels. I would be willing to help if I can.

cherylfrancis

All the pop culture grumblings are moot. Woot is not going to risk putting themselves out of business. They're here to sell shirts. If pop culture sells, that's what they will print. Sucks.