WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're trying something new with the Derby starting this week. After five years, we figure now's as good a time as any to fiddle around with things and see how they work out. So here's how Derby prints will work under this experiment:

• 1st Place will still be chosen by popular vote from Shirt.Woot users.
  • 2nd Place will be chosen by consensus among our Art Directors.
  • 3rd Place will be chosen by a special, rotating Guest Editor.

As far as payouts, Honorable Mentions, and that sort of stuff nothing will change. We're doing this as a fun exercise and for a few noble reasons as well. However, we've anticipated some of you might take issue with this since, well, not everyone responds well to change. So here are some pre-planned responses:

• "OMG YOU'RE TAKING AWAY THE VOTING!"
    No we're not. Your vote is still the most important part about the Derby. We kept First Place in control of the users because you guys, ultimately, are the reason we're here. This will just focus votes into a laser beam of efficiency.

• "THIS HURTS THE ARTISTS!"
    We actually think this will help the artists quite a bit, as there will still be a chance to win for people who spend more time on a design and submit it later in the week (whereas normally they'd never recover the gap in votes between the first submissions) or have to make resubmissions. They will still have an equal chance in the eyes of our Editors.

• "GUEST EDITOR? YOU'RE GONNA LET A STRANGER DICTATE THE RULES?!"
    Guest Editors will be chosen from our community, along with any nerdy sorts of artists or celebs willing to slum it and hang out with us. Community members who contribute to the discussion and overall positive vibe will have a chance to judge a Derby of their very own! We think we're off to a good start with our inaugural week's Guest Editor: bassanimation!

• "THIS RUINS SHIRT.WOOT!"
    Boy, you're easily excitable. This is a new thing we're trying out. If it absolutely flames out there's nothing that will force us to trudge on forever with this format. That said, these are suggestions we've been receiving from people in our forums for years and we wouldn't change things up if we didn't honestly think it would make things more fun and interesting.

So fire away in the forums! Let us know your questions, comments, and concerns. And be sure to check out our handy new poll on the front page as well!

Quality Posts

aleafloor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aleafloor

This sounds entirely reasonable and I look forward to the change!

I'm curious though if the Special Guest Editor will be prohibited from entering into the derby that they get to judge?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

I'm actually really excited to see how this plays out.

Is there still going to be a 9-slot Fog?

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Sounds great shirt woot I really think this is going to bring a lot of versatility and variety to the weekly contest. I salute you!

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
kevlar51 wrote:I'm actually really excited to see how this plays out.

Is there still going to be a 9-slot Fog?

Tgentry will be along any minute to correct/affirm me, but I believe the Fog stays as is.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

First congrats to bassanimation for being the first Guest Editor!

Second - I'm excited about this, it gives alot more freedom to get good work into the derby and I think we will see a stronger showing of designs.

You've done well in my eyes Woot!

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I like that those who don't get their designs in at the bell will have a chance. There are a lot of strong entries every week that just didn't "post" at the right time. I'm glad to see some of those folks getting a chance at printing. I hope this will encourage more artists to submit as well.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I think this is great! I'm usually never able to get a derby entry done by Friday at 1 (work frowns on me doing arts instead of engineerings during work hours), so I'm super stoked at the fact that there's still a 2 out of 3 chance to get a print if it's put up late.

Yay!

edit: Although I realize now that this means a greater need to artists to submit their print ready artwork, even if they're not in the fog.

spkidwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spkidwell

Awesome! I love the change. I like the fact that art may out weigh pop culture sometimes and realistic may out weigh cute sometimes! I'm all for the change! Woot! Woot!

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Yes! I love this. Love love love.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

One more thing

DO NOT TRY TO BRIBE GUEST EDITORS

HeeHee!

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Thanks for letting me be a part of the new trial, guys ^_^. Im really looking forward to this and I hope it gets the artists and community excited as well.

Super neato robot monkey fire!!! :D

PS: The Bass Pokemon is resistant to Bribe, but it is weak against Sleep and Tickle.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Somehow I knew Bassanimation would be the first guest voter before I got to that part.

Cue the meeses!

move along

llandar

j5 wrote:Somehow I knew Bassanimation would be the first guest voter before I got to that part.

Cue the meeses!

Bassanimation will have to swear a vow on her honor to judge each entry fairly and not solely on the number of adorable mice in each design.

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

This is the greatest thing to happen to the derby in the history of woot.

j5

llandar wrote:Bassanimation will have to swear a vow on her honor to judge each entry fairly and not solely on the number of adorable mice in each design.

Might want to hide the name of the interlocutor until the derby is over. Don't want to tempt artists to play to known biases

move along

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
llandar wrote:Bassanimation will have to swear a vow on her honor to judge each entry fairly and not solely on the number of adorable mice in each design.

No worries, Im pretty picky with rodent art. I dont like mouse art that's too cheesy...herp herp herp :P

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

This sounds like it could be pretty great, actually.

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

it's a nice (r)evolution.bravo!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

before: the voters think i suck
now: the voters, art directors, and guest editors will think i suck

yay!

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

Oooh, i like this, should see more variety in the winning shirts now. Hopefully this means we will see a sharp decline in the number of cats and mario shirts.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
bassanimation wrote:No worries, Im pretty picky with rodent art. I dont like mouse art that's too cheesy...herp herp herp :P

I know you like squeaky clean lines, not ratty looking art.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

I like this.
Do you have to be an artist to be a guest editor? I consider myself someone with a good artistic eye but am not a designer myself. And I really like the power.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
no1 wrote:before: the voters think i suck
now: the voters, art directors, and guest editors will think i suck

yay!

It provides a complete experience towards demolishing self-esteem.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Maniacmous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Maniacmous

In honor of Bassanimation's first guest hosting gig - we need to resurrect a small run of their greatest design - The Cheese is a Liederkranz!

(Ok, in the interest of full disclosure - I just need a replacement or 3).

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
inkycatz wrote:It provides a complete experience towards demolishing self-esteem.

there's still community managers, code monkeys and miscellaneous woot staffers to involve!

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

What?! That's crazy...crazy AWESOME! Change is exciting and good fer what ails ya!

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

Dear Woot, You have made me a very happy girl today!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Interesting proposal.
How are the dailies chosen? Is this any difference than how you will be choosing second place?
As long as the same few don't constantly win, I think this could work...

j5

This week's rotating guest editor bassanimation:

Next week's rotating guest editor:
Ochopika

Unlikely rotating guest editor:
AdderXYU

move along

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
j5 wrote:Might want to hide the name of the interlocutor until the derby is over. Don't want to tempt artists to play to known biases

Agree with j5 - in addition, keeping the guest editor confidential until the Derby closes would reduce the chances to pander to said editor, whether artistically or sucking-up-wise. My main concern is maintaining the integrity of the process, but I'll admit that I'd rather not spend a week running into some community member power-tripping all over the forums!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Knowing my luck, this'll be the period of derbies where I'll get second unprintplace...

But hey, it gives me a greater chance, since I seldom sniff the top 3 anyway...

llandar

curli76 wrote:I like this.
Do you have to be an artist to be a guest editor?

Not at all. Guest Editors will be chosen from active and engaged members of the Shirt.Woot community. That might mean more often than not it's an artist, but those of us unable to draw a stick figure will still have the opportunity.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
bassanimation wrote:Thanks for letting me be a part of the new trial, guys ^_^. Im really looking forward to this and I hope it gets the artists and community excited as well.

Super neato robot monkey fire!!! :D

PS: The Bass Pokemon is resistant to Bribe, but it is weak against Sleep and Tickle.

Congrats on being firsties, Bass!
This is an exciting change. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. Derby on!

benjaminleebates

And of course, you aren't restricting the second place in votes from being selected by woot or the guest editor, right?

cherylfrancis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylfrancis

I have complete confidence that a guest judge will not allow themselves to be manipulated and I don't see anybody letting it go to their heads. I've always been treated kindly here. Of course second place will be considered just as 232nd place will be. Have faith! This is wonderful!!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Just a few points:

- We're looking at a lot of different avenues to choose our guest editors. It could be artists, staff members, voters/community participants that we think stand out... anyone that we think offers something valuable to the site and might have a fresh and valuable perspective.

- The fog will remain as is.

- The guest editor(s) can still submit designs, but obviously can't pick their own. We'll work with the guest editors to refine what the selection process will look like. I'm excited about the Guest Editor the most because it gets you guys into the fold and gets a lot of new perspectives into the derby and what ultimately gets printed. It's sort of a wild card from week to week and could be really exciting.

- Regarding the guest editors, I think when we approach a community member, it's because we think they have the integrity and ability to honor the process, but that's of course something we'll watch as part of this experiment.

Glad to see the positive response. I'm excited about it to say the least.

EDIT: I also want to add... obviously first place is purely vote driven, but I know we as the editors will also be looking closely at votes and factoring that into our decisions. Votes still count, so keep on voting.

j5

I vote MrWednesday for guest editor.

move along

benjaminleebates

I think it would be very fair to look towards some of the people who have a large portfolio of submissions as guest editors. Simply because of the time that they have dedicated to shirt woot. Not exclusively of course, but just a consideration for all their due diligence.

striker138

quality posts: 1 Private Messages striker138

I like the changes. The derby has become very name driven, and these changes will result in more variety in the winners week in and week out. Don't get me wrong, I like me some cute ninja puppies every now and then, but there are other things I would like on my t-shirt.