+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

Anybody else having problems posting a comment from their comp page?

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

yup. :/

cfdunbar wrote:Anybody else having problems posting a comment from their comp page?

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Trying to describe my design on my Comp page, and it keeps asking me to re-log in...

cfdunbar

lyonscc wrote:Trying to describe my design on my Comp page, and it keeps asking me to re-log in...

yeah, same.....

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

yeah, comments aren't taking.

move along

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

I also got an "index out of array" Error pop-up when voting, then noticed this on a different shirt:

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

j5

English Muffin:

Rads, the blueberries are creating false eyes for this, making the face look skewed.

move along

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
j5 wrote:English Muffin:

Rads, the blueberries are creating false eyes for this, making the face look skewed.

Hmmm... I was a little concerned about that. I may rework it on my lunch break.

Thanks for the heads up, j5!

rmstorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmstorey
lyonscc wrote:Trying to describe my design on my Comp page, and it keeps asking me to re-log in...

Same here.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
Radscoolian wrote:Hmmm... I was a little concerned about that. I may rework it on my lunch break.

Thanks for the heads up, j5!

Argh, I can't post either the regular way. I keep getting asked to log in again also.

I was going to post this same thing about the English Muffin. I love it, but it does look like he's frowning and glancing off to his right.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
thewronggrape wrote:Argh, I can't post either the regular way. I keep getting asked to log in again also.

I was going to post this same thing about the English Muffin. I love it, but it does look like he's frowning and glancing off to his right.

I re-submitted with a less leprous muffin. Hopefully this is better!

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Same for me still...I can't comment on anyone's designs specifically :/

elgatoesloco

quality posts: 1 Private Messages elgatoesloco

Well, I'll add my gripe here since it keeps asking me to re-log in under the shirt proper.

The Stig shirt is pretty cool, but the "African" stig kills it. Bushmen, really? It's not even that it's an offensive stereotype, it's just siesta.

lyonscc

This is more than a just a little frustrating now.

I was going to add the following comment to my design to prevent it from being rejected, but no go.

Woot gods - please un-reject my Watership Down entry.

Watership Down is a LOCATION in England - I have been there - this should not have been rejected. I even included in the sign "at Watership Down" to prevent rejection.

See: Wikipedia

cfdunbar

Since there is alot of detail in my sub I wanted to post a link to the full size.

I'll put it here for now until the site allows posting on the comp pages....

roofdiver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roofdiver

Why can't you run the stig shirt? Top Gear is the best shows on tv and it's British!

bounty42

lyonscc wrote:This is more than a just a little frustrating now.

Watership Down is a LOCATION in England - I have been there - this should not have been rejected. I even included in the sign "at Watership Down" to prevent rejection.

I think that may have been why you were rejected. They tagged it "Cannot run as is" not "Off Topic". Typically the rejection you got means "Good design, but there's a minor copyright issue."

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

lyonscc

bounty42 wrote:I think that may have been why you were rejected. They tagged it "Cannot run as is" not "Off Topic". Typically the rejection you got means "Good design, but there's a minor copyright issue."

I just got a note from the rejectionator, saying that it should not have been rejected - they did not know it was a location name. They told me to resubmit it, and it wouldn't be rejected this time.

j5

roofdiver wrote:Why can't you run the stig shirt? Top Gear is the best shows on tv and it's British!

And STIG is a copyrighted character.

move along

bounty42

roofdiver wrote:Why can't you run the stig shirt? Top Gear is the best shows on tv and it's British!

A) It's perilously close to copyright.
B) There's racist messages.
C) Stig itself is a derogatory term.
D) Religious reference.

bounty42

lyonscc wrote:I just got a note from the rejectionator, saying that it should not have been rejected - they did not know it was a location name. They told me to resubmit it, and it wouldn't be rejected this time.

SWEET!

roofdiver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roofdiver
elgatoesloco wrote:Well, I'll add my gripe here since it keeps asking me to re-log in under the shirt proper.

The Stig shirt is pretty cool, but the "African" stig kills it. Bushmen, really? It's not even that it's an offensive stereotype, it's just siesta.

Clearly you have never seen the show. This is a list of every "stig" they have had on the show and the African stig was from the Botswana special they did and it was one of the best they aired.

bounty42

roofdiver wrote:Clearly you have never seen the show. This is a list of every "stig" they have had on the show and the African stig was from the Botswana special they did and it was one of the best they aired.

That doesn't mean it's not an offensive stereotype, just that the BBC let's them get away with things like that.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I'm quite surprised of entries I'm NOT seeing.

Come on people... think about it. We're taking about England here. :D

Think of the BOOKS!

bounty42

cfdunbar wrote:

Since there is alot of detail in my sub I wanted to post a link to the full size.

I'll put it here for now until the site allows posting on the comp pages....

2 things:

1) Personal Peeve. "To thine own self be true." isn't Hamlets line, and it's quite possibly one of the most out of context lines ever. After a 3 minute lecture on what kind of man to be, the final line is "be your own man", which effectively negates the entire speech.

2) "12 rounds of thumb biting drama" - to bite your thumb is roughly the equivenent of flipping the bird. MASSIVE insult gesture.

j5

writermist wrote:I'm quite surprised of entries I'm NOT seeing.

Come on people... think about it. We're taking about England here. :D

Think of the BOOKS!

You do realize this is a Woot derby, right?

move along

cfdunbar

bounty42 wrote:2 things:

1) Personal Peeve. "To thine own self be true." isn't Hamlets line, and it's quite possibly one of the most out of context lines ever. After a 3 minute lecture on what kind of man to be, the final line is "be your own man", which effectively negates the entire speech.

2) "12 rounds of thumb biting drama" - to bite your thumb is roughly the equivenent of flipping the bird. MASSIVE insult gesture.

In regards to your second point - it was meant to be taken as a tounge-in-cheek barb since I was taking two of the greatest literary characters and putting them into the equivalent of an American boxing promotion.

As for your first point - it was the best quote for my use, I know it wasn't true to form, but artistically it worked for me.

bounty42

cfdunbar wrote:As for your first point - it was the best quote for my use, I know it wasn't true to form, but artistically it worked for me.

I'd have been tempted to go with something like "Get thee to an Nunnery!"

cfdunbar

bounty42 wrote:I'd have been tempted to go with something like "Get thee to an Nunnery!"

LOL... that's good. I may change it if I get a chance this weekend.

Hahaha.....

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

And here I thought I'd forgotten my password.. *phew*

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bounty42

bluetuba wrote:And here I thought I'd forgotten my password.. *phew*

If you want you can give it to me, and I'll remember it for you >:D

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
bluetuba wrote:And here I thought I'd forgotten my password.. *phew*

Haven't bought many shirts since they switched to Anvil, but I quite enjoy viewing entries and comments.

Hope this is fixed before the weekend.

j5

Mind the Trap

How has this not been rejected for use of photos?

move along

bounty42

j5 wrote:Mind the Trap

How has this not been rejected for use of photos?

Have you tattled yet?

Knee jerk reaction was "That's not a photo, it's a LiveTrace of Photo. Toooootallly different..." lol

bounty42

englands finest

How has this one not be rejected for "Ummm No." yet?

j5

bounty42 wrote:Have you tattled yet?

Knee jerk reaction was "That's not a photo, it's a LiveTrace of Photo. Toooootallly different..." lol

I only tattle on spammers.
And live-traces have been rejected in the past.

move along

bounty42

j5 wrote:I only tattle on spammers.
And live-traces have been rejected in the past.

I know, I'm having a bad day. I had an idea, and spoke it aloud. Now my boss wants it by end of day.

FUN!

zekec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zekec
bounty42 wrote:Have you tattled yet?

I think he's trying to riff on Banksy's work, which creates stencils from photo outlines and colorizes them on brick walls. As a Photoshop and Illustrator professional, I'd have to say that Lyonscc didn't do a direct photo trace. If anything, he had to do a lot of level manipulation and filter transformations (or he'd just get a blackish blob), or had a drawing step in there somewhere. I've done a Banksy mock-job before and it is a lot harder than it looks.

russchott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages russchott