ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Do you love your Woot shirts but can't fit the new Anvil sizes? Do you love them?? Well, you can totally fix them. You don't even need to be an expert tailor to do it!
*disclaimer: Ochopika is not responsible for ruined shirts or sewing-related injuries*

You will need: Sewing machine, pins, pencil or marker, scissors.

Step 1:
Find an Anvil shirt that you want to be able to wear in public. Make sure it's been washed to avoid shrinkage issues.

Step 2: Find a t-shirt that really fits you nicely. It doesn't have to be a Woot shirt, but it does have to be smaller than your Anvil shirt.

Step 3:
Turn your anvil shirt inside-out. Lay it down as flat and even as you can. Make sure both sides of the shirt are lined up pretty evenly, though it's ok if they aren't perfect.

Place your fitted shirt on top of the Anvil shirt and flatten it out. Line up the shoulders of both shirts.

Step 4:
Use pins on the Anvil shirt to trace both side seams of the fitted shirt (including the "armpits" of the sleeves). Make sure the pins go through both sides of the shirt so that it stays properly aligned. You can precisely measure both sides if you want, but I find it's not necessary.

Step 5:
Use a pencil or marker to mark a dotted line about 1/2'' from the pins. This is to give the seam a little room so it doesn't have to be precise.

Now, cut along that dotted line on both sides.

Your shirt will look like this:

If it doesn't look like that, you're doing it wrong!

Step 6:
Sew up the sides of your Anvil shirt. Sew as close as you can to the pins. You'll be fine as long as you keep your seam straight and even. When you get to the sleeve keep close to the pins and gently turn the shirt. You can do it!

All done.

Your shirt should be all fixed now. Remember to turn it right-side-out before you wear it. *Also take the pins out, srsly. Thanks J5*. If the sides are lumpy or something you can trim the extra fabric on the inside of the seams.

Look, it totally fits now!

*note: My room now isn't absurdly pink, I swear. I'm in my old room at my parents' house.*

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
ochopika wrote:Do you love your Woot shirts

This is the most awesome thing I've seen all week because it is so helpful and clearly laid out. Thank you!

I'm just hanging out, really.

matthew

quality posts: 20 Private Messages matthew

Great post. And nice pink room!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

EHRMAHGERD!
Don't forget to take the pins out.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Wow, I'm sure those who would like to tailor their Anvil shirts will appreciate this how-to post. I'm one of the lucky ones who likes the fit of the Anvils (but didn't like the AAs, so there will always be fit concerns among wooters, regardless of the blank) but if I needed to tailor my shirts, this post would definitely make that process seem a lot less daunting.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
j5 wrote:EHRMAHGERD!
Don't forget to take the pins out.

Ow.

I'm just hanging out, really.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ochopika wrote:

You'll be fine as long as you keep your seam straight and even.

yeah, that's the part that i worry about.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss

Awesome instructions for the smaller women. Now how to shrink the GINORMOUS neck holes and add back the 3 inches of shrinkage for us not so small women who have to wear the men's sizes.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

Awesome job, Ocho!!

Mega points for having the guts to actually cut the very first shirt you tried. Once cut, there's no turning back. So for others who may be fearful, I'll add the famous line of carpenters "measure twice, cut once."

And welcome back to Maryland, if only for a visit!

07/11/14

ochopika

Staff

PemberDucky wrote:yeah, that's the part that i worry about.

A good sewing machine really helps keep it straight. I'm not the most coordinated person ever and I find it pretty easy to make a nice seam on my machine. Just gotta pay attention to what I'm doing, lol.

I'm glad y'all find this helpful, and I made sure to add instructions to take the pins out. :P

caramelarrow wrote:And welcome back to Maryland, if only for a visit!

Thanks . It's pretty hot here, like woah.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
trekmiss wrote:Awesome instructions for the smaller women. Now how to shrink the GINORMOUS neck holes and add back the 3 inches of shrinkage for us not so small women who have to wear the men's sizes.

I have worn the Anvil WL and Anvil MM and did not notice those issues. The Anvil MM seemed to fit pretty similarly to the AA MM.

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
aerc712 wrote:I have worn the Anvil WL and Anvil MM and did not notice those issues. The Anvil MM seemed to fit pretty similarly to the AA MM.

That's great for you. I wear AA MXL. Got 2 Anvil MXL in the last random. The neck is so big it falls off my shoulder! The length is fine before they are washed, but losing 3 inches in the wash is not good. Unfortunately, the neck doesn't shrink in the wash, it almost seems to get bigger.

The bottom line is that I'm a lady with a not so ideal body shape. The AA men's shirts worked for me, but Anvil shirts don't. I may be the last vocal dissenter here, I don't know, but I'm still not ready to give up something that I love. I do not enjoy having to pass on shirts because I can't wear them.

This really not the thread to continue this discussion, but I have to say that when the men's Anvils were said to be nearly identical to the men's AAs, that was completely incorrect. As of yet, Woot has never acknowledged the huge neck holes and shrinkage problems as even being issues.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ochopika wrote:I'm not the most coordinated person ever and I find it pretty easy to make a nice seam on my machine.

you have given me hope!

ochopika wrote:
Just gotta pay attention to what I'm doing, lol.

crap.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

LOL, I noticed the pink room and was going to question your age before I saw the disclaimer at the end. ;P

Awesome job adapting to what you small ladies are stuck with here, but it does look like a pain to convert them and I imagine lots of people don't have access to a sewing machine.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
bluetuba wrote:LOL, I noticed the pink room and was going to question your age before I saw the disclaimer at the end. ;P

Awesome job adapting to what you small ladies are stuck with here, but it does look like a pain to convert them and I imagine lots of people don't have access to a sewing machine.

Buy one on craigslist. I didn't really notice the pink room. I thought the tattoo was much more noteworthy, but then again I love ink.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mrwednesday wrote:Buy one on craigslist. I didn't really notice the pink room. I thought the tattoo was much more noteworthy, but then again I love ink.

We are supposed to be looking at the now fabulously well fitting shirt!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 619 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Did you sew all the way through to the sleeve or stop before the sleeve and taper?

Not that I have a sewing machine or can sew a straight line, but I'm curious.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ochopika

Staff

ThunderThighs wrote:Did you sew all the way through to the sleeve or stop before the sleeve and taper?

Not that I have a sewing machine or can sew a straight line, but I'm curious.

I sewed all the way through to the sleeve. I think it would work either way though.

racheling

quality posts: 2 Private Messages racheling

Thanks for the guide! This is really good timing, too. I ordered a shirt for a friend from a different site, and apparently I ordered the wrong size because it's much bigger than I expected... not quite as big as an Anvil WL I think, but still way too big for my friend. I have a sewing machine, and you've given me hope that the shirt isn't a total loss!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
bluetuba wrote:We are supposed to be looking at the now fabulously well fitting shirt!

Is it bad that the second thing I noticed in the last picture (after the camera) was the monkey over her shoulder? And I thought the tattoo was a camera strap or something.

Nice work! I know a couple people who would be interested in this sewing hack!