dcastello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcastello

I much prefer this version.
Good luck, that's fine.

dcastello

69mcglovin wrote:As a Kansan, there's nothing I love more than a good wizard of oz joke. NOT.

Indeed, I imagine it :D

dcastello

walmazan wrote:this is one of my favorites!

I'm glad to do so.
Thanks ;)

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
trireeme wrote:really hope this one wins, the art style is incredible

thanks a lot

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Curiosity

This is so cool! 360° view of Mars from Curiosity! I want to see more!!
http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-2#140.24,9.25,100.5

*Edit: Pro tip - View it on your phone and it moves with you. Did I mention this is so cooool?

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement
Re: Wishful Thinking (Thoughtless Edition)

so good!! i'm so excited you did this, i really hope it places! i will buy it.

Katie88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Katie88

This is so hilarious!! I love the thought bubble, please make this into a shirt!!

Re: Wishful Thinking

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
Re: Finally Got My Letter!

BIG BIG Thanks to everyone that voted for my designs! Every vote means so much to me! :D

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
fishbiscuit5 wrote:This is so cool! 360° view of Mars from Curiosity! I want to see more!!
http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-2#140.24,9.25,100.5

*Edit: Pro tip - View it on your phone and it moves with you. Did I mention this is so cooool?

Oooo! Thank you!

I'm just hanging out, really.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Nekkochan wrote:The problem isn't that it's recognizable. The difference between this shirt and The Binge is that The Binge is clearly parody, and this isn't. So even though most of the goblins are truffle's, the reference is obvious and without parody, that makes it too risky for woot to run.

I think the delay may have been caused by the need for everybody to finish crying about not being able to print this before they were able to hit the button. Short of getting Froud himself to do it, I can't imagine anyone better than truffle to do this shirt, and I for one would dearly love to own it.

I think the key to avoiding copyright infringement is that your interpretation of the copyrighted subject is transformative. Parody is good for that because it puts the character in a situation that they never actually were in probably doing something they wouldn't do...like in front of shot glasses having OD-ed on milk, haha. Another thing that artists do though is they leave out a lot of the defining characteristics of a character and only giving the audience the bare minimum to get who it is. Like with Mario on this site, you can make him a plumber in overalls with a red hat, but it can't be a red hat with an M and his face is obscured. Or with this shirt on tee fury, there's no situational joke that's different from the book or movie, but the monster is just a silhouette. We all get it, but from a legal standpoint, I imagine its hard to argue the copyrighted-ness of that black shape.

With my monsters, I just tried to give them each significant differing features from the movie...like different noses, floppy ears, an eye-patch, a hat, or too many teeth, etc. I also changed "the" to "that" in the quote. We'll see if its transformative enough!

Thank you all for the continuing votes and great comments!!

archiwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archiwiz
Re: Too Many Wishes

At first I thought this was Garfield... Then I remembered Garfield only eats lasagna. Still voted though.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
Re: Wishful Thinking (Thoughtless Edition)

Oh I love this without the bubble.

hound83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hound83
Re: Season Two (Version Two)

I loved this at first, but then I thought about it; without a genie lamp or something, it wont make any sense when people see it
Just my thoughts

erikarain3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erikarain3
Re: Inert Planet

love it<33

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: To Fly

Thanks harantula , many thanks Wences! , same for you , thanks all who supported it voting! , appreciated! (o;

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01
Re: Not what I meant

Gracias mi buen Wences , igual para ti amigo!

photogrartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photogrartist
Re: Outsourced Genie

Okay well I guess I expected this rejection *stab in my heart* ...but at the same time i wish the rejectionator said something more about why. Like was it the piss or was it considered racist?

Don't go swimming.
My mind is a strange place.

photogrartist

Re: The Bat

Now at least the rejectionator said specifically why it was rejected. I respect that.

I wish he did the same to mine. http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/65267/outsourced-genie

Don't go swimming.

truffleshuffle

quality posts: 4 Private Messages truffleshuffle
Re: Say Your Words (RESUB)

I guess this should not come as a surprise...Sorry guys

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
truffleshuffle wrote:I guess this should not come as a surprise...Sorry guys

You realize this is a semi-good thing, right? They're all but admitting you'd have placed 2nd or 3rd if the lawyers hadn't vetoed it. It's no money in your pocket, which sucks, but it's definately a design WIN!

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

photogrartist wrote:Now at least the rejectionator said specifically why it was rejected. I respect that.

I wish he did the same to mine. http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/65267/outsourced-genie

Rascism is a violation of "We determine that the design's content is offensive or obscene;"

As is the visual of urination.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bounty42

fishbiscuit5 wrote:This is so cool! 360° view of Mars from Curiosity! I want to see more!!

This so reminds me of This week's DorkTower Comic.

PRo-tip - Technology, we're doing it wrong again.

cliguz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cliguz
Re: No More Debugging

Must have this shirt!
We are 4 weeks away from "SHIP IT".
How do I make this happen?

Necrotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Necrotech
llamassassin wrote:This is better. What I try to keep in mind is finding a font that matches the art style or overall "feel" of a design. For example, on this design, your art work has kind of a rounded look and thicker outlines, so I would have picked a font that's rounded and has a bolded (or thicker) look to it. If you google dafont, the website has a lot of free fonts and you're bound to find some fun ones to go with your designs. They even have them categorized by style.

Dafont? Will take a looksee then, thanks for the tip. :D

metalcowboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages metalcowboy
Re: Curiosity v.2

I'll buy it! Give it here!

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
truffleshuffle wrote:
With my monsters, I just tried to give them each significant differing features from the movie...like different noses, floppy ears, an eye-patch, a hat, or too many teeth, etc. I also changed "the" to "that" in the quote. We'll see if its transformative enough!

I really wish it had worked. It's an awesome tribute shirt.

photogrartist

bounty42 wrote:Rascism is a violation of "We determine that the design's content is offensive or obscene;"

As is the visual of urination.

I see...thanks. I need to work on cleaning up my humor.

Don't go swimming.

jektal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jektal

I didn't see the version with the bubble, but I can't imagine it being anything other than tacky and pop quiz. This? This I love!

-edit- this in reference to Wishful Thinking http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/65265/wishful-thinking-thoughtless-edition

(and I've now seen the bubble-version. I was expecting words, so the bubble's not so bad, but this is still much better)

anjulka

quality posts: 5 Private Messages anjulka

Maybe you can adjust in such a way to make it more parody like and submit it for a daily? It's really fantastic and clearly gets a lot of love from Woot.

JMackHU08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JMackHU08
Re: Season Two (Version Two)

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

GMV for sure!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
photogrartist wrote:Okay well I guess I expected this rejection *stab in my heart* ...but at the same time i wish the rejectionator said something more about why. Like was it the piss or was it considered racist?

No or Nope means it's something offensive, in your case it's both racial humor and the pee, neither will fly on Woot.

You'll notice a couple other entries were rejected with a NO this week, the maxi pad one and the "Man's wish" with the naked lady silhouette.

Just stick to PG-13 or be REALLY subtle or clever. This is neither!

homechicken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homechicken
JMackHU08 wrote:SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

I second this sentiment.

morningsong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morningsong

I didn't use any computer tools, just drew it and eyed it, trying to consolidate areas of varying hues into on dark, medium or light variation.
Start by turning the composition into high contrast black and white study, then add the mid-tone...then try in colors. That's the concept.
Have fun.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

welp there goes my chance of getting a new shirt this weekend B^(

this really blows for so many reasons!!! B^(

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
halcyonights wrote:I mean it seems silly to me. They've got a shirt featuring what is clearly the cookie monster that they've sold tons of shirts of, and this comes a long and is too close to copyright infringement?

Did they try and contact The Jim Henson Company to see if it would be alright? A simple e-mail? I don't think dear Jim would be all that upset about this if he were still alive... Then again I'm sure there's a board of directors that may just think differently...

If you're interested in reading a little about this, I highly recommend skimming the Derby discussion thread for the original version of Binge that was rejectionated for copyright, as well as the discussion thread of the version that printed; tjost (and others) offer some interesting details about the features that make a parody subject to copyright infringement claims. Overall, I learned quite a bit about copyright/parody exceptions from those threads and it was also fascinating to watch the development of the design.

Tuffleshuffle, I'm sorry for the last-minute visit from the Rejectionator. Teefury seems less concerned about these issues, although I think they offer less legal assistance when copyright claims are made, so... YMMV. I have no idea what it's referencing that counts as potential copyright violation, but the design is visually arresting and has a wonderful composition to it. Even without recognizing any references in it, I think it's an interesting and cool design.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

JohnnyRidden1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnnyRidden1
angiemknight wrote:The second entry - without "browncoat" - is no longer in the voting. ?? Though the term "browncoat" is from the movie, not series, did the powers that be decide that the second had to leave? Hmmm.

You are wrong. In the second episode "Train Job" the word browncoat is said several times.

Either way I like the centered image with no browncoat more. It seems like something Jayne would wear.

jazznjoe11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazznjoe11
Re: Friend or Food

I so want this shirt!!

photogrartist

bluetuba wrote:be REALLY subtle or clever. This is neither!

Ok thanks! I have some ideas for the next derby...I think they are subtle and clever...but we'll see. My aim is to not get rejected.

Don't go swimming.

ClaudiaM

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ClaudiaM
Re: Essential fo Time Travel

Film & TV buffs may want to try to spot all the places this prop has been used. (I didn't put it together until a podcast featuring a props professional made me think twice.)