quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The Oz desires

Brill!

move along

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
thewronggrape wrote:Walmazan is one of the most printed artists here with lots of fans (myself included with several of his shirts).

So although it's probably not just you, methinks you're in the minority :-)

I understand that, but I also think you've identified the reason Woot changed the structure of the derby.

I realize a lot of this artist's designs have printed. However, when I go back and look at the sales figures (first day, and overall) for his prints, the meta of reflexively voting for favorite artists, rather than judging designs on the merits of whether or not they would sell well to a wider public is, frankly, bad for business.

I had never noticed this until I was showing the derby to my wife one week, and she asked "why the heck was that one (not mentioning which one) a winner?" I explained the meta to her, but then went to the shirt.what page and sorted by final placing ("I wouldn't buy any of these," was her comment - and she's a professional graphic artist), and then to the Reckoning page a couple weeks later to see the final figures.

So, while I understand the sentiment of "I love [insert artist's name]'s designs, and will vote for every one of them, regardless of whether they look like kindergarten scrawls", I also wonder why it took Woot so long to change their voting model.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
darling375 wrote:Resubmitted with text, as recommended by the wise ones of the Woot.

Some text is probably needed but I suggest just putting "stupid autocorrect". I don't think the joke needs to be spelled out quite this much.

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
j5 wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding. Nothing bugs me more than to see someone ask for advice then ignore it completely. You're not the first, and the outcome was the same those other times, also.

I never asked for advice nor do I see anything in the pre-Derby that states to post artwork to get advice from others.

j5

lloyd2002 wrote:I understand that, but I also think you've identified the reason Woot changed the structure of the derby.

I realize a lot of this artist's designs have printed. However, when I go back and look at the sales figures (first day, and overall) for his prints, the meta of reflexively voting for favorite artists, rather than judging designs on the merits of whether or not they would sell well to a wider public is, frankly, bad for business.

I had never noticed this until I was showing the derby to my wife one week, and she asked "why the heck was that one (not mentioning which one) a winner?" I explained the meta to her, but then went to the shirt.what page and sorted by final placing ("I wouldn't buy any of these," was her comment - and she's a professional graphic artist), and then to the Reckoning page a couple weeks later to see the final figures.

So, while I understand the sentiment of "I love [insert artist's name]'s designs, and will vote for every one of them, regardless of whether they look like kindergarten scrawls", I also wonder why it took Woot so long to change their voting model.

Considering the highest selling artist here, I think your argument is invalid.

move along

j5

loulousq wrote:I never asked for advice nor do I see anything in the pre-Derby that states to post artwork to get advice from others.

Then why did you post it?

move along

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: The Oz desires

Great characters, neat use of the 3 wish idea and awesome lion's mane. It probably didn't need the squiggles above their heads. +1

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Ancient Psychic Tandem WAR ELEPHANT!

Really like the single colour 60's vibe.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
rsburke wrote:It's in the rules for EVERY derby.

flip it dude !

FretlessM

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FretlessM
Re: The wish

This is so great! I love it!

meenuh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meenuh
Re: Say your right words

Outdoor Mulch For Gardening I NEED THIS!!!!

pantilemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantilemon

Yep. It's girly... I'm a girl. But if you think it's adorable; just think what your girlfriend, wife, daughter or overall object of your affection will think about it?? ...Or for yourself. Real dudes where puppies and kittens. Hugs!!

Re: Wish A Dog A Bone

numia123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages numia123
roysterer wrote:This looks rather like the world has exploded. I don't know if that's what you were going for, but if it was then you need more chunks.

That's what I thought at first too. That or like.. blue and green lungs. Or some weird blue and green angel. Took me a second to figure out exactly what it was. I do like the design though, just seems like it's missing something.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Dream fulfilled...

Does not look like a woot shirt color.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

darling375

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darling375
Re: But You Can't Wish For Love

The world on a string, sitting on a rainbow... and no one to hold your heart. A tad melancholy, but that wish does come up often...

darling375

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darling375
stingray69 wrote:Some text is probably needed but I suggest just putting "stupid autocorrect". I don't think the joke needs to be spelled out quite this much.

I wasn't sure, but the feedback I got suggested it needed a fair amount... Thank you for commenting, and here's hoping for the best!

numia123

llamassassin wrote:Very cute and sweet idea!

Thank you

numia123

Helen603 wrote:Aw it's just so cute! I want it!

:D

expo01

quality posts: 10 Private Messages expo01

lol , great wish Wences!!

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
Re: A shield of my own

That's a straight up copy of the zelda shield. There isn't even an attempt to make it a parody.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 73 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Single Minded

"BRAAAAAAAIIIIINSSSSS..."

"You're sure? Brains... Again...?"

"BRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIINNNNNNSSS!"

oakenspirit

I was SO hoping someone would make a Goblin King shirt! I mean, there's no David Bowie on here but this is near perfect!

oakenspirit

Re: Single Minded

ACK... forgot to put color swatches... This basically has Yellow, red, cyan, white, black, and a brownish black... Made the extra colors with halftones.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Re: Little Boys And Genies Don't Mix
aerc712 wrote:Patrick, I love your designs! (Wearing Acquired Taste right now!)

So am I!

I also love this design - as citizencoyote said, I actually laughed out loud when I pulled it up. I think it fits into the Derby theme perfectly, but moreover, the "three wishes" theme is obvious enough in the design that someone unfamiliar with the Derby theme will instantaneously understand the humor. And bonus points for an instantly readable design that doesn't reference pop culture!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee
Re: Peace on Earth

Some lovely world peace designs up already, but I decided to throw my hat in the ring anyway.

neuropsychosocial

Re: Evolve Me!

Oh wirdou! You and your adorable viruses. (I love it - very clever.)

neuropsychosocial

Re: Dream fulfilled...
Mavyn wrote:Does not look like a woot shirt color.

And not on a woot template, I believe. Don't the templates have little woot tags now?

zooliea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zooliea
Re: Football Kingdom

Gotta have one of these.

Actually, I need five of these for my Monday Night group this fall.

windwounder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windwounder
Re: Season Two

About half way strolling through all the entries I thought Serenity II and I see this. 8) Nice.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Whaaaat? That's awesome- I didn't know that! You're right, we would totally have been friends!

llamassassin wrote:I love The Last Unicorn! Did you know that they are cleaning up the animation and re-releasing it in theaters?

My Little Pony and The Last Unicorn growing up. I think you and I would have been friends.

rcbustam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcbustam
Re: Always Be Specific

I'm sorry to say but I really don't get this one... :/

paxdomino

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paxdomino

First wish - an ice cream cloud. Second wish - to fly.
Third wish - a spoon!

oakenspirit

pantilemon wrote:Yep. It's girly... I'm a girl. But if you think it's adorable; just think what your girlfriend, wife, daughter or overall object of your affection will think about it?? ...Or for yourself. Real dudes where puppies and kittens. Hugs!!

This is hilarious... We basically had the same idea but I did a zombie and you did a dog! ha! Love it.

gonegonetheformofman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gonegonetheformofman
Re: Wisher Beware

very cool whats she wishing for the monkey prince aladin promissed maybe hmmmmmm

tessderpervilles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tessderpervilles
Re: Wisher Beware

She's not a Kardashian, that's for sure.

MrsBones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones

I have learned to identify Walmazan's designs from the thumbnails by how much they look like the Newbury Comics logo

(no disrespect meant, just an observation.)

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

nburriss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nburriss

I love this! I think your style is significantly different from Froud's to not be lawsuit-able but I'm no expert.

Unfortunately, this color, while excellent for the design, looks horrible on me so I won't be able to get one if it prints. Good luck!