WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Everyone's gotta eat, right? Even fictional characters! This week give us your best ad or slogan for an imaginary restaurant of your very own creation. Just to nip it in the bud: no, we don't want to see your "imaginative" take on Nighthawks with kittens/Star Wars/Doctor Who/Zelda characters. Do something original.

• No text only designs.
  • No pop culture riffs.
  • And we shouldn't have to point this out, but don't use any existing restaurant imagery.

Quality Posts

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee

Well yay for no pop culture :D

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
bradalee wrote:Well yay for no pop culture :D

That doesn't say no pop culture, it says no pop culture riffs. I'm not sure what the difference is, but trust me, we're going to see at least 5 unrejected pop-designs.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
bounty42 wrote:That doesn't say no pop culture, it says no pop culture riffs. I'm not sure what the difference is, but trust me, we're going to see at least 5 unrejected pop-designs.

I hope not, would love to see more original designs.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 74 Private Messages oakenspirit
bounty42 wrote:That doesn't say no pop culture, it says no pop culture riffs. I'm not sure what the difference is, but trust me, we're going to see at least 5 unrejected pop-designs.

I am hoping the "Of your very own creation" and the "Do something original" are enough to justify the ban parade...

bounty42

oakenspirit wrote:I am hoping the "Of your very own creation" and the "Do something original" are enough to justify the ban parade...

Because more than 10% of the last derby had any reference to final wish, or to third wish?

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Would it be considered a pop culture reference if the reference is well over 70 years old?

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
bounty42 wrote:Because more than 10% of the last derby had any reference to final wish, or to third wish?

A confusing/difficult theme isn't the same thing as a "no pop culture" rule, I don't think the addition of the word riffs is significant. I think they will reject any pop culture period.

The only fuzziness is, as usual, what is pop culture? So we'll still see ninjas and zombies and such, just not TMNT or Mario

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
graffd02 wrote:Would it be considered a pop culture reference if the reference is well over 70 years old?

depends on how old your pop is!

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
graffd02 wrote:Would it be considered a pop culture reference if the reference is well over 70 years old?

I don't think pop culture has an age limit. Nighthawks is 70 years old and they nipped that in the bud...

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

Atleast this time, read the basic rules before submitting. Potty humor, racism, indecency -everything was running wild in last derby, it's disgusting.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

bounty42

bluetuba wrote:A confusing/difficult theme isn't the same thing as a "no pop culture" rule, I don't think the addition of the word riffs is significant. I think they will reject any pop culture period.

The only fuzziness is, as usual, what is pop culture? So we'll still see ninjas and zombies and such, just not TMNT or Mario

a Riff is a distict variation, it's taking something existing, and altering it to fit as though it were something else. The more I stare at this, the more I'm thinking things like:
* Kentucky Fried Cuccos
* Campbells Cream of 1-Up soup
* TMNT at the Nighthawk Diner
are all riffs, but something like
* Umbrella Corperate Cafeteria
* Killer Rabbit BBQ sauce
* TARDIS Turnovers (more fruit on the inside!)
Are all pop culture, but not riffs.

I think Woot needs to stop trying to be cute with the rules though. I know it's gotta be boring to type "no pop culture" once every 2-3 weeks, but ambiguity and tight deadlines are stressful combinations.

bounty42

chennai8 wrote:Atleast this time, read the basic rules before submitting. Potty humor, racism, indecency -everything was running wild in last derby, it's disgusting.

You realise that other than the vague "the design's content is offensive or obscene" none of those are actually mentioned?

Also, while last derby was worse, there's at least 3 shirts in that category every week.

mpcondo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpcondo
bounty42 wrote:a Riff is a distict variation, it's taking something existing, and altering it to fit as though it were something else. The more I stare at this, the more I'm thinking things like:
* Kentucky Fried Cuccos
* Campbells Cream of 1-Up soup
* TMNT at the Nighthawk Diner
are all riffs, but something like
* Umbrella Corperate Cafeteria
* Killer Rabbit BBQ sauce
* TARDIS Turnovers (more fruit on the inside!)
Are all pop culture, but not riffs.

I think Woot needs to stop trying to be cute with the rules though. I know it's gotta be boring to type "no pop culture" once every 2-3 weeks, but ambiguity and tight deadlines are stressful combinations.

ambiguity and tight deadlines make it challenging, but I think that is the point. I am getting tired of seeing Zelda logos with a title that refrences the theme, it's just lazy.

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao

It would be NICE to see some cool designs. MEANING can we please have less kittens, bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, lollipops, ponies and stuff that makes MOST people puke.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
dawnao wrote:It would be NICE to see some cool designs. MEANING can we please have less kittens, bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, lollipops, ponies and stuff that makes MOST people puke.

AGREE 200%

bounty42

mpcondo wrote:ambiguity and tight deadlines make it challenging, but I think that is the point. I am getting tired of seeing Zelda logos with a title that refrences the theme, it's just lazy.

I have never seen one of those, can you provide links?

mpcondo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpcondo
bounty42 wrote:I have never seen one of those, can you provide links?

there was one in the most recent derby

AHamdi5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AHamdi5

So I guess no 'Restaurant At The End of the Universe' references?

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

bounty42 wrote:Because more than 10% of the last derby had any reference to final wish, or to third wish?

I'm a little confused by this. The rules just asked what your final wish would be if you had three wishes? That could pretty much anything depending on the person. As long some element of wish-fulfillment comes across it seems hard to go off-topic on that theme. Granted, it's pretty wide open, but some derbies are.

Also no pop-culture in this one. Riffs, jams, odes, or otherwise. Seriously, keep it original. No Shakespeare, no Lovecraft, just no. This is all about the food. Let's leave Doctor Who out of it.

And our guest editor...

-drumroll-

Walmazan!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76
tgentry wrote:I'm a little confused by this. The rules just asked what your final wish would be if you had three wishes? That could pretty much anything depending on the person. As long some element of wish-fulfillment comes across it seems hard to go off-topic on that theme. Granted, it's pretty wide open, but some derbies are.

Also no pop-culture in this one. Riffs, jams, odes, or otherwise. Seriously, keep it original. No Shakespeare, no Lovecraft, just no. This is all about the food. Let's leave Doctor Who out of it.

And our guest editor...

-drumroll-

Walmazan!

Does this mean no Walmazan entries

bounty42

curli76 wrote:Does this mean no Walmazan entries

This means Walmazan can't place 3rd this time, but with this one he's probably getting a 1st or 2nd anyways.

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

I have a few ideas, mostly based on some really bad puns; message me if you're interested.

tgentry

Staff

curli76 wrote:Does this mean no Walmazan entries

The guest editor can still participate, they just can't select their own designs.

bounty42

tgentry wrote:
Also no pop-culture in this one. Seriously, keep it original. No Shakespeare, no Lovecraft, just no.

So should this be semi-offical confirmation that both Shakespeare and Cthulhu should be considered pop culture?

wencesfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wencesfan
tgentry wrote:The guest editor can still participate, they just can't select their own designs.

endangeredomega

quality posts: 37 Private Messages endangeredomega
tgentry wrote:
And our guest editor...

-drumroll-

Walmazan!

Extraordinarily well-matched choice of EC for a food-themed derby.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Neat topic. I forsee a few good ones coming out of this derby.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Um, what's with the confusion on this one? I agree, the wish derby was a bit all over the place. But what's so difficult to understand with this one? Be original with your design seems pretty straightforward. If it's a recognizable character/cultural reference it doesn't belong.

There will always be some folks who submit entries without looking at the rules or topic (seriously, go back and look, for pretty much every week there is stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the theme) but these rules seem pretty clear.

Looking forward to the entries since I think there will be a variety with humorous, cute, artistic (for lack of better term) etc.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

This theme really reminds me much more of a photochop contest than a shirt design contest.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
tgentry wrote:I'm a little confused by this. The rules just asked what your final wish would be if you had three wishes? That could pretty much anything depending on the person. As long some element of wish-fulfillment comes across it seems hard to go off-topic on that theme. Granted, it's pretty wide open, but some derbies are.

And our guest editor...

-drumroll-

Walmazan!

Yay! This post is awesome-thank you!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
tgentry wrote:

And our guest editor...

-drumroll-

Walmazan!

Travis, does this rule also mean no zombies, ninjas, etc.? Trying to define what is considered pop culture. Thanks! Love this theme!

Also, woowoo, Walmazan! Another excellent choice!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Neat to see Walmazan get a shot at picking an editor's choice.

Looking very, very forward to the derby. Last one wasn't my speed so much, but this one should be fun.

bounty42

Josephus wrote:This theme really reminds me much more of a photochop contest than a shirt design contest.

That is the PopCulture Nighthawks which is strictly verbotten!

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Travis, does this rule also mean no zombies, ninjas, etc.?

Also want to know about this. I might draw a vampire winery but not sure if you guys are counting vampires as the pop culture. They'll be my vampire, I won't make them look like any popular ones.

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14

I had this idea but not sure if it's worth submitting ^^;

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
tgentry wrote:The guest editor can still participate, they just can't select their own designs.

I fully expect a cupcake design or two from him regardless

tgentry

Staff

Drakxxx wrote:Also want to know about this. I might draw a vampire winery but not sure if you guys are counting vampires as the pop culture. They'll be my vampire, I won't make them look like any popular ones.

Generic zombies, vampires, etc. are fine as long as you're not referencing a specific work. If we think you're referencing Dawn of the Dead or Nosferatu, it'll probably get rejected.

bounty42

tgentry wrote:Generic zombies, vampires, etc. are fine as long as you're not referencing a specific work. If we think you're referencing Dawn of the Dead or Nosferatu, it'll probably get rejected.

You're really pushing back the pop culture dates here, you know? Was expecing Twilight, True Blood, or Walking Dead for the reference point.

bounty42

inu14 wrote:I had this idea but not sure if it's worth submitting ^^;

I like it, but be prepared for people to quibble if you aren't ensuring all groupings are exactly 2 bits.