fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
tgentry wrote:Generic zombies, vampires, etc. are fine as long as you're not referencing a specific work. If we think you're referencing Dawn of the Dead or Nosferatu, it'll probably get rejected.

Thanks for the clarification, Travis! Off to create...

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
bounty42 wrote:I like it, but be prepared for people to quibble if you aren't ensuring all groupings are exactly 2 bits.

Was going to say that myself.

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
bradalee wrote:Was going to say that myself.

Yeah I need to tidy it up a bit. I think in the longer areas I might need to use the nibble formatting to tidy it up ^^.

kimiken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimiken

Can somebody make a design with Mario and Luigi driving a restaurant with Peach as the waitres, serving pizzas with mushrom on them, coocked coopas, geting paid with Mario-money. Maybe serving bowser or something

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
kimiken wrote:Can somebody make a design with Mario and Luigi driving a restaurant with Peach as the waitres, serving pizzas with mushrom on them, coocked coopas, geting paid with Mario-money. Maybe serving bowser or something

They can, but the design will be rejected and fail to print because they're pop culture. Unless Shigeru Miyamoto joins Shirt.Woot and submits them, and then I don't care about the rules, that needs to print immediately and in great quanity.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
kimiken wrote:Can somebody make a design with Mario and Luigi driving a restaurant with Peach as the waitres, serving pizzas with mushrom on them, coocked coopas, geting paid with Mario-money. Maybe serving bowser or something

lemme check my schedule to see if i have enough time to make something that'll be rejected ...

... no.

bounty42

inu14 wrote:Yeah I need to tidy it up a bit. I think in the longer areas I might need to use the nibble formatting to tidy it up ^^.

I think staggering them at half lines "so they kinda zigzag" should work fine. though avoid green colors because that'll make it look Matrix-y

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
bounty42 wrote:I think staggering them at half lines "so they kinda zigzag" should work fine. though avoid green colors because that'll make it look Matrix-y

Thanks for the tip I'll have a go at that!

I have an aversion to green binary myself!

kimiken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimiken
bounty42 wrote:They can, but the design will be rejected and fail to print because they're pop culture. Unless Shigeru Miyamoto joins Shirt.Woot and submits them, and then I don't care about the rules, that needs to print immediately and in great quanity.

OH, i forgot... No mario...

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
bounty42 wrote:You're really pushing back the pop culture dates here, you know? Was expecing Twilight, True Blood, or Walking Dead for the reference point.

Woot clearly wants original designs this time around. Relax and accept that. I think they (well tgentry) have done a good job of clarifying that point.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

I hate to be the one to ask this, but what about internet things, like memes or images? I know these are often considered pop culture, but if they're not part of a recognized story or IP, are they fair game?

Thanks for clarification, and also, wooo Walmazan!!!

bounty42

aerc712 wrote:Woot clearly wants original designs this time around. Relax and accept that. I think they (well tgentry) have done a good job of clarifying that point.

Non-verbal communications fail.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
bounty42 wrote:Non-verbal communications fail.

[Personal attack removed ~ mod]

This derby offers a lot of opportunity for artists to be creative and original. The designs have the potential to be pretty varied and captivating. I get that sometimes rules have to be clarified, but that's been done. Be original is hardly a difficult instruction to follow.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
tgentry wrote:I'm a little confused by this. The rules just asked what your final wish would be if you had three wishes? That could pretty much anything depending on the person. As long some element of wish-fulfillment comes across it seems hard to go off-topic on that theme. Granted, it's pretty wide open, but some derbies are.

It was confusing because, if you didn't want to see some element of the first two wishes or of finality in the design, why wasn't the theme just "Wishes" - which is what the theme became by default. It seems a little unfair to the folks who went the extra mile to come up with a concept that actually fit the "third" part of the theme.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bounty42 wrote:Non-verbal communications fail.

I think it's more of a linguistic pedantry fail, TBH.
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is"
~B. Clinton

move along

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
bassanimation wrote:I hate to be the one to ask this, but what about internet things, like memes or images? I know these are often considered pop culture, but if they're not part of a recognized story or IP, are they fair game?

Thanks for clarification, and also, wooo Walmazan!!!

Plz no moar interweb memes! EVAR!

bounty42

ambergreen wrote:Plz no moar interweb memes! EVAR!

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris

Here's what I have right now. Any suggestions?

bounty42

ChuckleNorris wrote:

how about the tag line: "NOW WITH DOUBLE THE MEAT!"

ChuckleNorris

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ChuckleNorris
bounty42 wrote:how about the tag line: "NOW WITH DOUBLE THE MEAT!"

Good idea. I was trying to think of something along those lines. Thanks!

bounty42

ChuckleNorris wrote:Good idea. I was trying to think of something along those lines. Thanks!

Now with double the meat
Twice the meat of the national chains.
You'll feel full for 40 days!
Ask about our 2-for-1 special!
Forget Wood, Go-fer a Sub.

There's a off-shoot for Noah's Burrito's - Try one Wet style.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

Here's what I have. i was going to make this a play on the Bilderberg Group (build a burger), but didn't think anybody would get the reference.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Nekkochan wrote:It was confusing because, if you didn't want to see some element of the first two wishes or of finality in the design, why wasn't the theme just "Wishes" - which is what the theme became by default. It seems a little unfair to the folks who went the extra mile to come up with a concept that actually fit the "third" part of the theme.

true dat.

bounty42

odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I have. i was going to make this a play on the Bilderberg Group (build a burger), but didn't think anybody would get the reference.

I love the concept, the image of the Eye on a red Fry container is what I think of when I read it. Not sure you could work that into the design though.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

How about this?

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
ChuckleNorris wrote:

I like where this is headed and bounty42 had awesome suggestions, but two things:

1. The colors seem a bit too washed out. I at first thought I had accidentally highlighted the image.

2. There's not two of any of the animals in the sandwich!

Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
tgentry wrote:Generic zombies, vampires, etc. are fine as long as you're not referencing a specific work. If we think you're referencing Dawn of the Dead or Nosferatu, it'll probably get rejected.

I would think vampires, zombies, etc in general are all pop culture. they're EVERYWHERE!

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
odysseyroc wrote:Here's what I have. i was going to make this a play on the Bilderberg Group (build a burger), but didn't think anybody would get the reference.

I thought it was a Pink Floyd reference...lol

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Leahbh wrote:I would think vampires, zombies, etc in general are all pop culture. they're EVERYWHERE!

uhh no... no more than bunnies,teacups,ponies or cats !

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
deborah11565 wrote:uhh no... no more than bunnies,teacups,ponies or cats !

LOL...good point!

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
ChuckleNorris wrote:

AWESOME! great characters! almost didn't notice the penguin but glad he is there

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
ambergreen wrote:Plz no moar interweb memes! EVAR!

What ?

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
dawnao wrote:It would be NICE to see some cool designs. MEANING can we please have less kittens, bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, lollipops, ponies and stuff that makes MOST people puke.

I believe that you would adore this shirt.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
lyonscc wrote:How about this?

Funny. But, it reminds me of my dads friend. He used to pick up the roadkill on the way to work, throw it in his trunk, leave it in the car all day while he worked, then go home and throw it in the stew! Didn't matter how long it had been dead on the road, or how long it sat in his hot car, he ate it. YUCK!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
neuropsychosocial wrote:I believe that you would adore this shirt.

Or this one..

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

So - Full frontal image or pocket image?

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

This is what I'm thinking...

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

first couple quick ideas

this would need more development and a tag line like "your mouth won't believe its eyes" or something

"home of the honest cup of coffee"

or something with java, as I am trying to think of an actual reference that would be accurate rather than just java gibberish. .

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
lyonscc wrote:So - Full frontal image or pocket image?

I'm gonna suggest you don't make designs referencing cannibalism your go to thing. Plus this is a much more obscure ref then the donner party that I doubt few would get. Just my two cents though.

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 85 Private Messages Thirdbase9

So I'm guessing that a:

Starbuck's

Over 6 Billion Cylons served.

This wouldn't fly. I'm not an artist, so the face would be stylized.

That is the only true Starbuck.

I don't know.