Nekkochan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
mightyrain wrote:This is what I'm thinking...



Makes me think of what I always say about steak - if a good vet could still save it, it's cooked right.

I wonder if there should be an "only" in the tagline, and an emphasis on the word "playing" - you'll swear it's only _playing_ dead. Or is that overkill?

rexy23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rexy23

I'm new to this and i'm confused...it says "No text only designs" so how are we supposed to make an Ad or Slogan w/o TEXT on the shirt?

loulousq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
rexy23 wrote:I'm new to this and i'm confused...it says "No text only designs" so how are we supposed to make an Ad or Slogan w/o TEXT on the shirt?



you have to have some art in there too, not only words

Draike


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike

Need to get some sleep tonight, but hopefully I can finish this up in the morning. I'm not 100% sold on the tagline yet.

rexy23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rexy23

I know you have to have Art or a design of some sort but it says "No Text" so just Art/Design on shirt thats it?
I see other ppl putting text on their shirts even though it says "No text"...so i just want to get all the details straight before i submit anything.

generichuman2794


quality posts: 0 Private Messages generichuman2794

I was thinking something along these lines. Not sold on the details yet, but I think it's maybe a start.


loulousq


quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq
rexy23 wrote:I know you have to have Art or a design of some sort but it says "No Text" so just Art/Design on shirt thats it?
I see other ppl putting text on their shirts even though it says "No text"...so i just want to get all the details straight before i submit anything.




"No text only"
this good:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/university-wikipedius-pullover-hoodie
this bad:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/spelling-bee-long-sleeve-tee

rexy23


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rexy23

purplefeather


quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather
mightyrain wrote:This is what I'm thinking...


That is so much cuter than a real possum. Why can't they look like that in real life?

dawnao


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
bluetuba wrote:Or this one..



LOL

dawnao


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
neuropsychosocial wrote:I believe that you would adore this shirt.



Oh My Failing Grades!....funny

lyonscc


quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tjost wrote:I'm gonna suggest you don't make designs referencing cannibalism your go to thing. Plus this is a much more obscure ref then the donner party that I doubt few would get. Just my two cents though.



My wife said the same thing. This design was originally paired with the Donner one (there is a Packer grill with a bit of a storied history - my original tagline in this design was almost exactly the same as one from the Grill, unintentionally, which made me put this one on the shelf), and I was going to submit both during the "Comfort Food" week, but I ran short of time and only got the Donner one finished.

I suspect my wife would kill me if I ever did another cannibal one... (I'm sure there's another joke to be had there, but I'll let it be)...

So, your point is taken, and I doubt - severely - there will ever be a "Take 3".

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning folks. We're aware that images aren't displaying in posts. Sorry for the inconvenience.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mightyrain


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Nekkochan wrote:Makes me think of what I always say about steak - if a good vet could still save it, it's cooked right.

I wonder if there should be an "only" in the tagline, and an emphasis on the word "playing" - you'll swear it's only _playing_ dead. Or is that overkill?



Yeah, that is actually how I spoke it... and then just forgot to put the "only" into the design. It's an easy fix though.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
loulousq wrote:"No text only"
this good:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/university-wikipedius-pullover-hoodie
this bad:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/spelling-bee-long-sleeve-tee

Actually, they might both be valid designs due to the block around the scripted "class". Not sure if there's a font for that, but it might pass on a technicality if not.

When they say "no text only" they mean "Don't just type a slogan in a text block with some fancy font and paste it on a shirt". That was the slogan derby, and it was bad.

move along

mightyrain


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

updated text.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
mightyrain wrote:updated text.



MJM, but I'd prefer a different font for the tag line, and would break it up, with Food so Fresh at the top and the rest at the bottom. With a little emphasis on playing, somehow.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

mightyrain


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Mavyn wrote:MJM, but I'd prefer a different font for the tag line, and would break it up, with Food so Fresh at the top and the rest at the bottom. With a little emphasis on playing, somehow.



what is "MJM"? I toyed around with the text alot. I tipped it, broke it apart, the placement of the opossum makes it weird. But I did like this version as well. So I may enter this one.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mightyrain wrote:what is "MJM"?


Maybe Just Me

move along

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
mightyrain wrote:what is "MJM"? I toyed around with the text alot. I tipped it, broke it apart, the placement of the opossum makes it weird. But I did like this version as well. So I may enter this one.



I like that better. Maybe a little distressing on the text?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
bounty42 wrote:You're really pushing back the pop culture dates here, you know? Was expecing Twilight, True Blood, or Walking Dead for the reference point.



Drakxxx said vampires, so at least 2/3 of those references would be irrelevant.

bassanimation wrote:I hate to be the one to ask this, but what about internet things, like memes or images? I know these are often considered pop culture, but if they're not part of a recognized story or IP, are they fair game?

Thanks for clarification, and also, wooo Walmazan!!!



If they are memetic internet things, they are thereby recognizable as someone's IP. Someone made nyancat (for some reason). Someone made the images and quotes on every quickmeme (if you can call that "making"). As for memes like "hey I'm the internet apparently lots of otherwise rational people believe in an actual legit zombie apocalypse," that's a greyer area because it's not directly pop culture in the way they mean pop culture, however they DID mention kittens in their Nighthawks joke, which are worlds less memetic (though equally nauseating designwise) than zombies, so they'd be fully in their rights to reject.

I cannot cannot cannot cannot cannot understand how that's even a question that "needs" asking. I mean, the pop culture rule is punctuated with the words "do something original." Unless someone would like to create a meme from scratch, from zero at time of entry to full blown Takei hours before printing, I can't see how that would remotely need confirmation. Do you feel it might be considered "not original enough"? Then just don't waste time making it. The point of a non-pop design contest is to stretch creativity, not to scramble for the three crutches that might be derby legal.

My palms were already overflowing with face from "no pop culture riffs, but can we use pop culture?" Now it's spilled over, and there's head all over my desk.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Cool theme. I'm back in the derby this week. Here's mine, a restaurant for time travellers:

Dino-BBQ

yellowflower


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower

Just for the record, I love a lot of the non-cutesy stuff (I wish I could remember the name of that seahorse one I have, with the metallic ink... I would link it here...), but I also really really love rainbows, kittens, cupcakes, teacups, unicorns, ponies, internet memes, bunnies, and everything else that everyone keeps complaining about.

Particularly rainbows, cupcakes, and unicorns. Not necessarily in that order.

I just would hate to see someone discouraged from making possibly the awesomest rainbow unicorn shirt ever, because I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on that.

Also, I really love this.

Spiritgreen wrote:Cool theme. I'm back in the derby this week. Here's mine, a restaurant for time travellers:

Dino-BBQ



I wish I could see the other ones right now, but since I can't, I will just say that I <3 that one a lot. Dinosaurs are almost as good as rainbow cupcake unicorns.


AdderXYU wrote:
Someone made nyancat (for some reason).



Probably because it is awesome. That's just a guess, though.

Spiritgreen


quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
yellowflower wrote:I wish I could see the other ones right now, but since I can't, I will just say that I <3 that one a lot. Dinosaurs are almost as good as rainbow cupcake unicorns.



Thanks yellowflower. ^__^

Yeah, the derby has an added element of suspense anytime the message board images are broken. Looking forward to noon!

yellowflower


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
Spiritgreen wrote:Looking forward to noon!



Me too! I'm really excited for this theme. Even without being able to see any of the images, I think it's going to be a really good one.

bounty42


quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
rexy23 wrote:I'm new to this and i'm confused...it says "No text only designs" so how are we supposed to make an Ad or Slogan w/o TEXT on the shirt?



YOu're adding an imaginary comma.
No text only designs.
No text, only designs.

see the difference? Just like
Let's eat, Grandma!
Let's eat Grandma!

NO text only designs means that the designs may not be only text.

EDIT: My guideline for 'No text only designs' has always been "Can I reproduce this shirt in Word using only my Keyboard and my 1500 font library."



Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

beware1984


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

Damn this derby is so hard! I really wanted to participate but with a 24 hour window and limited time to actually design something I guess I'm stuck voting this week. 15 more minutes!

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
beware1984 wrote:Damn this derby is so hard! I really wanted to participate but with a 24 hour window and limited time to actually design something I guess I'm stuck voting this week. 15 more minutes!



Dude. The new rules make it so you can submit something later and still have a chance at a print. Get to work!





dawnao


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
yellowflower wrote:Just for the record, I love a lot of the non-cutesy stuff (I wish I could remember the name of that seahorse one I have, with the metallic ink... I would link it here...), but I also really really love rainbows, kittens, cupcakes, teacups, unicorns, ponies, internet memes, bunnies, and everything else that everyone keeps complaining about.

Particularly rainbows, cupcakes, and unicorns. Not necessarily in that order.

I just would hate to see someone discouraged from making possibly the awesomest rainbow unicorn shirt ever, because I certainly wouldn't want to miss out on that.

Also, I really love this.



Probably because it is awesome. That's just a guess, though.



May I ask how old you are?

Draike


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draike
dawnao wrote:May I ask how old you are?



I don't see why that needs to be relevant. Anyone can enjoy cute things regardless of age, or gender for that matter. It's not a mark of maturity to stop liking cute subject matter.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Draike wrote:I don't see why that needs to be relevant. Anyone can enjoy cute things regardless of age, or gender for that matter. It's not a mark of maturity to stop liking cute subject matter.



Liking Nyancat, on the other hand...

yellowflower


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
dawnao wrote:May I ask how old you are?



You absolutely can. I turned the big 3-0 this past May.

Edit to add in: The reason I am being so openly supportive of the cutesey designs is not only because I legitimately like them, but also because it disappoints me to see so much negativity floating around here. Why not something like, "I really hope we see something kind of dark and gothic!" or "I really hope someone does something that looks like it could actually be a restaurant!" instead of "I'm so tired of bunnies." That kind of thing isn't helpful, and it bums me out to see it so rampant here. I'd like to see people posting what they ARE interested in and WOULD like to see, rather than what they wouldn't.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of a cupcake restaurant. I'm a baker, so I would wear that to work all the time, and it would be spectacular.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
yellowflower wrote:You absolutely can. I turned the big 3-0 this past May.

Edit to add in: The reason I am being so openly supportive of the cutesey designs is not only because I legitimately like them, but also because it disappoints me to see so much negativity floating around here. Why not something like, "I really hope we see something kind of dark and gothic!" or "I really hope someone does something that looks like it could actually be a restaurant!" instead of "I'm so tired of bunnies." That kind of thing isn't helpful, and it bums me out to see it so rampant here. I'd like to see people posting what they ARE interested in and WOULD like to see, rather than what they wouldn't.

Personally, I would like to see some kind of a cupcake restaurant. I'm a baker, so I would wear that to work all the time, and it would be spectacular.





Even though I'm one of the negatives, you get the gold star for the day. Rock on.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
tjost wrote:I'm gonna suggest you don't make designs referencing cannibalism your go to thing. Plus this is a much more obscure ref then the donner party that I doubt few would get. Just my two cents though.

I agree with tjost's first point; I'll publicly admit that I didn't "get" the reference in I'm a Humanitarian and another wooter had to explain it to me (gotta say, I think I would have preferred that I continue to not-get-it!), but I did "get" this reference. So YCRMV.*

I'm skimming this thread before looking at the submitted entries, but so far, I must say, this might be the first Derby that could double as a diet aid.

*[Your Cannibalism References May Vary ]

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

yellowflower


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
neuropsychosocial wrote:I agree with tjost's first point; I'll publicly admit that I didn't "get" the reference in I'm a Humanitarian and another wooter had to explain it to me (gotta say, I think I would have preferred that I continue to not-get-it!), but I did "get" this reference. So YCRMV.*

I'm skimming this thread before looking at the submitted entries, but so far, I must say, this might be the first Derby that could double as a diet aid.

*[Your Cannibalism References May Vary ]



Your footnote made me happy. Thank you for that.

alanmedhurst


quality posts: 2 Private Messages alanmedhurst

I'm hoping to see more dragons eating knights. Something along the lines of "Northern Knights Stone Grill" with the slogan "Armour's where the heart is" or "Fresh out of the tin."

deborah11565


quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Draike wrote:I don't see why that needs to be relevant. Anyone can enjoy cute things regardless of age, or gender for that matter. It's not a mark of maturity to stop liking cute subject matter.



Are you sure about that ?

ochopika


quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Draike wrote:I don't see why that needs to be relevant. Anyone can enjoy cute things regardless of age, or gender for that matter. It's not a mark of maturity to stop liking cute subject matter.



I don't even wear a lot of cute shirts, but I agree. Also, here's one of my favorite quotes on the matter:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
― C.S. Lewis

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Draike wrote:I don't see why that needs to be relevant. Anyone can enjoy cute things regardless of age, or gender for that matter. It's not a mark of maturity to stop liking cute subject matter.
deborah11565 wrote:Are you sure about that ?

Yes (Miller & Miller, 2004).

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

darianwiccan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages darianwiccan

Ok everyone, I am working on finishing a design and will be submitting in the morning. Thoughts?

x 15