statesidekiwi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages statesidekiwi
Re: ChupaCabana

Bassanimation kicking ass once again. Love this so much!!

arienb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arienb
pennyflip wrote:What a sweet opossum, i must have it!/opossumcloseup1.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Clever, so cute!

stm027

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stm027
Nekkochan wrote:I thought religious images weren't allowed?

Good point, don't wear this to Sri Lanka
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-19325357

I put chemicals in your food... seriously

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud
Re: As a baker I truly love this and would wear it to work! +1Flour Power

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
goneferal wrote:This is spooky in all the right ways!

Thanks so much!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit
Nekkochan wrote:I thought religious images weren't allowed?

Is Noah allowed?

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

Really great, and glad to see you in the derby again.

Thogek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thogek
lyonscc wrote:Actually, I agonized on that for awhile before choosing "Pi's" (though I almost went for the symbol for Pi with the apostrophe, as an option). In the end, "Pis" looked too much like a bodily function, so I went with the apostrophe.

Fair point. Still bugs me ('cause it looks and is technically wrong, something a geeky joke in particular should avoid), but I'm a little OCD like that, so...

You could also try lowercasing just the "s" in the case. I.e., "PIs", although I don't know whether that would help, either...

Or, just back out of the explicit "PI" references and say that "OUR PIES ARE SQUARED." I think people'll still get it.

This quibble aside, great design. :-)

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo
Re: Wizard's Bar & Grill

I'm having Gauntlet flashbacks... what have you done?

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
deborah11565 wrote:Cute and kinda spooky at the same time... love it !

yes, it should appeal to the people who love cute stuff too

lisadanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisadanger
Re: organic food chain

I love the color choice this week! Good luck friend ^_^

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Re: The Pixel Cafe

Why is he giving me the finger?

move along

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
orabbit wrote:Squared is spelled with one r, kharma. I hope the prices are all $1 or less. That's the only kind of squaring I can afford.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!i'll fix that as soon as possible

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

awww hes so cute

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
oakenspirit wrote:sooo... too many puns...

I think so, yes.
Rework this as just a unicorn-dog stand and you'd have something. Too late for this derby of course, but a clever idea nonetheless.

move along

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Re: Give Pita Chance

I used to live in a town with a place called "Pita Pit" and it was DELICIOUS. Used the pita like a wrap with tons of ingredients in side, it was amazingly filling! (So not really for dipping into hummus, but still)

runnerfrog13

Re: Food Chain V.2

Ooh, I like this tag line better too! And I thought it was just another zombie ref until I read the thread in version 1, I had no idea there were ACTUALLY brain tacos (or tongue tacos!) out there...

Very appealing colors, though the mustache on the zombie is a little weird

(I may have to get this just because my toddler learned how to say Brrraaaains from the last zombie shirt we bought...)

runnerfrog13

ariellem wrote:Clever pun, but I find it horribly offensive - and I'm not Asian.

It might only be offensive if you have seen the movie or knew whatever reference it's from. I read it and it just sounds like a silly pun to me. Almost like an engrish shirt...
(and I do love japan/asia, hope to live there for a few years someday, so I don't feel like a rascist person...)

runnerfrog13

emenege wrote:so cute... but this design reminds me another one that i bought at threadless site: http://www.threadless.com/product/3060/Sushi/tab,guys/style,shirt

Sleeping sushi vs hotdog sushi? They're pretty different to me (with the exception of the fluffy ball of rice part... but all sushi's gotta have that)

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: Intergalactic Maid Cafe

Very cute style.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: Hearty Grains

It wouldn't have taken much effort to make this "on topic..." nice style tho, just wish the effort would have been there.

runnerfrog13

ArdillaCiega wrote:I might buy it if K = Banana Pudding or Potato or something that doesn't start with K (like it does on the actual table)

HAHAHAHAHA that would make the shirt EVEN BETTER!

I agree it would be neat if this was also on a slightly lighter color, such as Royal Blue or Green (though, there was already that green Periodic Table shirt, so I suppose that would be too close), but Navy is alright. This would make an excellent apron.

I do worry it would print a little small on women's shirts to be able to read the food names (especially given Woot's strange quality control mixups with women's print sizes occasionally ending up on men's shirts)

runnerfrog13

dawnao wrote:It is a great design. Unfortunately it did not have bunnies, kittens, rainbows, unicorns, etc on it so therefore it can never win. Sad.

Or zombies - you forgot zombies

runnerfrog13

Mavyn wrote:To me, this is pop culture. Video games in general ping my 'pop culture' meter, though.

Yeah, it's well executed, but to me it falls under the "no pop culture riffs" (whether or not it's violating intellectual property, which I agree it is not)

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
cappo wrote:I'm having Gauntlet flashbacks... what have you done?

I admit this is probably pop culture, but what can I say? It came to me, and half an hour later, it was submitted.

photogrartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photogrartist
writermist wrote:If it did... it would get rejected

Uh oh...why's that? Is Lovett considered pop culture? Or is the phrase "The best pies in London" too cliched?

Don't go swimming.
My mind is a strange place.

runnerfrog13

inu14 wrote:I wanted to write the slogan as Release the flavour, but that was really bordering on the thin wire.

What IS the slogan you used? The comp is too small to see it

runnerfrog13

Re: Noah's Sandwiches

I like the purple/gray hues, but yeah there's something funny with the gamma cause even the comp looks washed out

runnerfrog13

Re: Noah's Sandwiches v2

I like the bolder colors in this one, though after reading these comments it's apparent the washedout/faded look on the original was intentional. The new color tweaks are fine too, it all looks really great on the brown shirt and much more eye-catching

(I do miss the purple-gray color scheme though)

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
runnerfrog13 wrote:Yeah, it's well executed, but to me it falls under the "no pop culture riffs" (whether or not it's violating intellectual property, which I agree it is not)

I try to avoid pop culture in general when designing, but it's tough as an artist. There's such a thing as "too original". People don't vote for style or content that's too far outside the established comfort zone. Look at someone like cherylfrancis who turns out amazing art and gets very few votes.

I apologize if I've offended the theme purists with my lowbrow pandering. I don't want to get a reputation. I don't mean that sarcastically. I used to be a theme purist until I saw winning shirts tangentially related to the theme win week after week. It's frustrating to have had a few designs fog, and not be able to reproduce that success. So I'm in a "spaghetti" phase. Throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

/whiny tirade

runnerfrog13

amandanielsen wrote:This would be so much better if it was not grammatically incorrect

psychofarm wrote:...if it were not grammatically incorrect.

This.

Also, I would argue that it a) IS grammatically correct, since "feed your brain free" doesn't convey what is free - feeding your brain? the brain itself? maybe if it was "set your brain free" I would agree with you. "... For Free" is definitely the correct way to express this phrase. And b) Since when do graphic design for advertisements require complete sentences, proper grammar, or avoidance of prepositions? (Ok, maybe sometimes the grammar can be important, but I argue that it can be venacular/common grammar and doesn't need to be "proper" grammar)

(wow, I can't believe how many times I misspelled grammar in that post...)

runnerfrog13

orabbit wrote:I try to avoid pop culture in general when designing, but it's tough as an artist. There's such a thing as "too original". People don't vote for style or content that's too far outside the established comfort zone. Look at someone like cherylfrancis who turns out amazing art and gets very few votes.

I apologize if I've offended the theme purists with my lowbrow pandering. I don't want to get a reputation. I don't mean that sarcastically. I used to be a theme purist until I saw winning shirts tangentially related to the theme win week after week. It's frustrating to have had a few designs fog, and not be able to reproduce that success. So I'm in a "spaghetti" phase. Throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

/whiny tirade

"Spaghetti phase" hehe I like it

Yah, I don't mean to be a purist either, I've noticed the exact same thing you're saying. It's something that Adder would always harp about (though I think he was rather extreme about it), but the truth is that pop culture gets votes. It's "popular culture," it's everwhere, it's wearable and instantly understood by a large population... but when you're trying to be original and yet at the same time get votes so your shirt prints, how do you balance the two? Pop gets you votes, original gets you, well who knows. I completely hear ya.

That's actually one of the reasons I'm in favor of the new voting experiment Woot is doing, where only the first place is chosen by number of votes, and the other two are by guest judge and woot judge. I hope it works well! Unfortunately I missed the last few derbies so I don't know what the consensus on it has been

runnerfrog13

Re: Take Out is Free

I'm glad to see you reworked the arrow to fit the tagline on it, and made it blue - it looks much more legible and better graphically! I do, however, miss the original tagline you used, "feed your brain for free." Seemed to fit with the library theme better. As for the distressed look, normally I'm not a fan, but you did a good job making it subtle, and it really helps the vintage look of the design.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

Best shirt I've seen in months. Lets get this printed folks!

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
Re: Food Chain V.2

Taaaaacoooooos!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Fish Stop
SkekTek wrote:Cute!

Thanks Skek!

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
runnerfrog13 wrote:What IS the slogan you used? The comp is too small to see it

the slogan is Krak'n Good Food

Hope it makes sense ^^.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
Re: The Opossum Cafe

arienb wrote:Clever, so cute!

Thank you!!! Glad you like it!

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality
BrainFreeze wrote:Yes we should totally send her one. The tragic death of her child, her persecution and ridicule for years finally summed up on a funny t shirt Awesome.

LadyofRohan2995 wrote:Yeah, I think this is in the tasteless department. Nice design, but I think it should be rejected for inappropriateness.

Tsk.

Guess I should have prefaced this with a 'too soon?', that would have made it all hip and stuff.

EDIT: While we're on the subject, I went for YEARS hearing the 'dingoes eat babies' thing without knowing details of the actual incident. And if I'd been told, I'd forgotten, that^ was the only part that stuck out in my mind and yes, I found the idea (for the shirt) funny. Do I find the actual incident funny? No. :T

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac

So eyecatching! Love it!