WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

One line. That's all it takes. And this week that's all you get. Give us your best designs using only one, continuous line. Go nuts! Just make sure you go nuts within these rules:

• No halftones.
  • One color only.
  • No phoenixes or tigers.
  • No pop culture riffs.
  • Keep your lines wider than 1/16".
  • Everything in your design should be part of the same continuous line. We should only be able to see two ends to your line. Your continuous line should render everything on the shirt.
  • No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself.
  • Don’t cross your line over itself.
  • Text is permitted as long as the treatment meets all the rules above. If you can draw text with one unbroken line with no retracing, knock yourself out.
  • Moderating this Derby might involve some judgment calls on our part, so if your design even comes close to breaking any of these rules, back away or risk rejection.

Guest editor: Artulo!

Quality Posts

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

seems familiar somehow...

Josephus

can your line cross itself?

mpcondo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpcondo

this should get interesting

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I love this theme!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

RED ALERT!!! INCOMING SLOGAN BARRAGE DETECTED! ETA: 24 HOURS!

SHIELDS UP! BRACE FOR IMPACT!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
Josephus wrote:can your line cross itself?

Good question. And can it vary in width?

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

I'm gonna do a Digimon / Playboy Club mash-up, but I won't submit it until Monday, so it won't be rejected for being PopCulture!!

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

IbeMoDean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IbeMoDean

Does that mean one continuous line:

Or one single line of text?

IbeMoDean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IbeMoDean

I wish I had taken more time to master the Etch-A-Sketch beyond bashing it against a wall...

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
IbeMoDean wrote:Does that mean one continuous line:

Or one single line of text?

You can check this derby for examples of what they want. Except, of course, the tigers and phoenixes.

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby

I am pretty sure they mean only one line (drawn) through the whole design.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
Josephus wrote:seems familiar somehow...

It's like Derby #32: Line Art.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Ouch, this is a toughy! @_@

Josephus

jfsiv wrote:It's like Derby #32: Line Art.

and derby #74: One Continuous Line

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates

3/16th equals 13.5 pt line, is woot gonna police this well? I try to follow rules, and I hate it when others don't.

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
benjaminleebates wrote:3/16th equals 13.5 pt line, is woot gonna police this well? I try to follow rules, and I hate it when others don't.

Apparently they aren't policing anymore. So many should have been rejected in this last derby but they weren't

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Can the line double back over itself? I know the rule in the "One Continuous Line" derby was that it could not, but there is no specification here.

bounty42

dawnao wrote:Apparently they aren't policing anymore. So many should have been rejected in this last derby but they weren't

But if you look 'by votes' the first questionable shirt is #36. So as much as it Bugs us all, they're at least policing the ones that 'matter'. They don't give a damn about the rest of us, but c'est la vie.

I do not think, however, that they will be rejecting based on this (line size) for anyone outside of the fog. To much work for to little return. I just hope they monitor for it in the fog, and don't just "fix it afterwards" since they reserve the right to alter any submitted design.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby

That is one thick line...

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
benjaminleebates wrote:3/16th equals 13.5 pt line, is woot gonna police this well? I try to follow rules, and I hate it when others don't.

Or 14 pt in Photoshop?

benjaminleebates

jfsiv wrote:Or 14 pt in Photoshop?

Yeah, I would say 14 pt to be safe, but I am not certain how changing the res or dpi, etc. effect line weights in photoshop.

bounty42

benjaminleebates wrote:Yeah, I would say 14 pt to be safe, but I am not certain how changing the res or dpi, etc. effect line weights in photoshop.

It's been a year or more since I was playing with my Photoshop, but I seem to recall you can set the unit of measure to anything you want. So set your Line measure to inches, and keep it over .1875

At 300 dpi 56.25 pixiels.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Smallest line is 57 pixels thick? Is that really right Woot?

EDIT: Rules revised to 1/16". 19px, much better!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

This will essentially be the same as the One Continuous Line derby. Those rules apply here:

Everything in your design should be part of the same continuous line. We should only be able to see two ends to your line. Any other line endings sticking out somewhere will be cause for rejection. And no autonomous little design elements away from the main one. Your continuous line should render everything on the shirt.

- No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself.

- One color only. No changing the color mid-line or using gradients.

Text is permitted as long as the treatment meets all the rules above. If you can draw text with one unbroken line with no retracing, knock yourself out.

Moderating this Derby might involve some judgment calls on our part, so if your design even comes close to breaking any of these rules, back away or risk rejection.

Lines shouldn't cross themselves. Keep the line pretty wide so we can size these down. No super thin lines or we'll point to that 1/16" rule and reject.

Basically look at OCL derby. That's what we want again.

Go nuts! But seriously, no phoenixes.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
tgentry wrote: But seriously, no phoenixes.

bounty42

tgentry wrote:Keep the line pretty wide so we can size these down. No super thin lines or we'll point to that 1/16" rule and reject.

Which is it supposed to be 3/16" or 1/16". That's a HUGE difference.

Also, can the line change sizes?

tgentry

Staff

Spiritgreen wrote:Smallest line is 57 pixels thick? Is that really right Woot?

Sorry, should be closer to 1/16". I think our production guy was being funny because he's not a fan of micro-tiny lines. Basically we want a line that will not disappear when sized down.

bounty42

tgentry wrote:Sorry, should be closer to 1/16". I think our production guy was being funny because he's not a fan of micro-tiny lines. Basically we want a line that will not disappear when sized down.

ok, that's better.
1/16" is .0625 inch
at 300dpi - 18.75px

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
tgentry wrote:Go nuts! But seriously, no phoenixes.

but tigers are ok!

benjaminleebates

bounty42 wrote:ok, that's better.
1/16" is .0625 inch
at 300dpi - 18.75px

4.5 pt in Illustrator, I would say 5 pt to be safe.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
tgentry wrote:Sorry, should be closer to 1/16". I think our production guy was being funny because he's not a fan of micro-tiny lines. Basically we want a line that will not disappear when sized down.

It would make printing kid's sizes super easy, though! All you'd have to do is send a shirt blank. Customer service might not be too happy, however.

And 1/16" makes a lot more sense than 3/16".

tgentry

Staff

bounty42 wrote:Which is it supposed to be 3/16" or 1/16". That's a HUGE difference.

Also, can the line change sizes?

Yes, varying line width is fine as long is it doesn't drop below the minimum.

And no tigers either! Or phoenix-tiger hybrids.

tgentry

Staff

Who better as this week's guest editor than....

Artulo!

If you're new to the updated derby setup: as guest editor, Artulo will picking the third print from this derby. So put in that extra effort, because this guy seriously knows his line art.

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula

I just can´t wait to see how we can do with one continous and single line!

good luck everyone!

generichuman2794

quality posts: 0 Private Messages generichuman2794

Dammit, I just learned how to half tone. I was looking forward to overusing it.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
generichuman2794 wrote:Dammit, I just learned how to half tone. I was looking forward to overusing it.

Hahaha! :-D fo'sho!

markedward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markedward
tgentry wrote:Lines shouldn't cross themselves.

Craaap. The drawing I just finished has some crossed lines. I can rework it to take them out, but then some things will just look awkward.

Is not crossing the lines a strict rule, or might you allow some leniency?

Krisis86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Krisis86

MOAR FOX SHIRTS!!! I get more compliments on my fox shirts (Fox Nouveau and Foxfall(?) ) than all my other awesome shirts combined.

So MOAR FOXES.

Oooh or a wolf shirt. I would kill for an awesome wolf shirt.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Krisis86 wrote:MOAR FOX SHIRTS!!! I get more compliments on my fox shirts (Fox Nouveau and Foxfall(?) ) than all my other awesome shirts combined.

So MOAR FOXES.

Oooh or a wolf shirt. I would kill for an awesome wolf shirt.

How about a design that might have a wolf or/and a fox in it - but not not the main theme....