citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Krisis86 wrote:Oooh or a wolf shirt. I would kill for an awesome wolf shirt.

/Braces for 3 Wolf Moon shirts.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
citizencoyote wrote:/Braces for 3 Wolf Moon shirts.

Needs to be a Three Woot-Monkey Moon if you ask me.

(I know, no one did.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

Would it be considered No pop culture riffs if I use the The Nazca Lines as reference? Here's what I have so far.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Wow...this is tough. You can do anything as long as it's one line?
I have no ideas

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
writermist wrote:Wow...this is tough. You can do anything as long as it's one line?
I have no ideas

a tiger that isn't a tiger because it is a bengal cat.

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42
inkycatz wrote:Needs to be a Three Woot-Monkey Moon if you ask me.

(I know, no one did.)

I totally thought about doing a 3-wolf moon, and would gladly do a 3-Monkey Woot, excepting both of them will get bounced the first for pop and the second for self reference.

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
no1 wrote:a tiger that isn't a tiger because it is a bengal cat.

Tiger Shrimp

or

Liger

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bounty42

Celtic Knotwork, Mideval illustrations, about anything in that last derby, laberynths, mazes, etc.

This would be a great derby for just some abstract doodling.

■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape

So excited to see what people come up with!

zekecatz

quality posts: 202 Private Messages zekecatz
bounty42 wrote:Celtic Knotwork, Mideval illustrations, about anything in that last derby, laberynths, mazes, etc.

Yes, please.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
bounty42 wrote:Celtic Knotwork, Mideval illustrations, about anything in that last derby, laberynths, mazes, etc.

This would be a great derby for just some abstract doodling.

No knotwork, lines can't cross

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
tgentry wrote:Who better as this week's guest editor than....

Artulo!

If you're new to the updated derby setup: as guest editor, Artulo will picking the third print from this derby. So put in that extra effort, because this guy seriously knows his line art.

I approve this message. Doubly so if he gets to pick the best tee and not just the best tee that isn't first or second but is in the fog.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Krisis86 wrote:MOAR FOX SHIRTS!!! I get more compliments on my fox shirts (Fox Nouveau and Foxfall(?) ) than all my other awesome shirts combined.

So MOAR FOXES.

Oooh or a wolf shirt. I would kill for an awesome wolf shirt.

Oh. Wow. I was actually JUST scrolling down to post almost-exactly this. More foxes, please guys! :D I wanna get a fox shirt like this; something cool rather than just cutesy.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

3rdmaestro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3rdmaestro

I'm getting lots of ideas. Also, I noticed that a lot of shirts on the old derby were black. Whats the deal?

bounty42

tjost wrote:No knotwork, lines can't cross

I've seen knotwork patterns with no crossing lines

You'll need to play with the thicknesses at the transition points, so you can flow from one 'segment' to another at say, 1/4 the original thickness, but you could do it.

TIME is going to be the biggest issue on this one I fear.

bounty42

3rdmaestro wrote:I'm getting lots of ideas. Also, I noticed that a lot of shirts on the old derby were black. Whats the deal?

When you have 2 colors, one ink and one shirt, you get a limited number of 'good' combinations, and most of these are something on black. Also, black has always been the most popular color for shirts.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 40 Private Messages alanhwoot
Mavyn wrote:T
Liger

No, this is a liger:

Whoops, no pop culture.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
bounty42 wrote:I've seen knotwork patterns with no crossing lines

You'll need to play with the thicknesses at the transition points, so you can flow from one 'segment' to another at say, 1/4 the original thickness, but you could do it.

TIME is going to be the biggest issue on this one I fear.

One line. No breaks. What you posted gives the illusion one being one, but there are 22 end points. You need to be able to trace the image from one end to the other without lifting your pen/pencil/finger/nose.

Edit: I suspect you were saying to making a wide section with a thin section connecting the two, but that requires crossing over. Or doing a dizzy maze with all one size to look like a wider line and a thin line connecting. Might work, but yeah...hand cramp time.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
AdderXYU wrote:I approve this message. Doubly so if he gets to pick the best tee and not just the best tee that isn't first or second but is in the fog.

The version of Curiosity that printed last derby finished in 10th place. Three derbies in with the new system may be a little to identify a printing pattern. I imagine the editors and guest judges take votes into consideration, as much for the the voters who took the time to pick their favourites as for the wider buying audience.
I'm excited by the prospect of this Single Line derby as the first one predated my woot involvement. It will be interesting to see if the results are very different this time around. Hopefully I can reign in my tendency to overwork ideas, and get something done.

bounty42

Mavyn wrote:One line. No breaks. What you posted gives the illusion one being one, but there are 22 end points. You need to be able to trace the image from one end to the other without lifting your pen/pencil/finger/nose.

Edit: I suspect you were saying to making a wide section with a thin section connecting the two, but that requires crossing over. Or doing a dizzy maze with all one size to look like a wider line and a thin line connecting. Might work, but yeah...hand cramp time.

That is perhaps a Bad example, there are other ones that would be easier to be sure. But it could be done. and really I don't think it's any more complex than the THIS or THIS or even THIS

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

woot woot! I had a design I worked tirelessly on in the last single line one that never got subbed since I ran out of time. Dust off, slap on updated template, and I'm set!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

A favorite style of mine. Looking forward to everyone's submissions!

Cheers!

jfsiv

Would this be considered a pop culture riffs Yes or No?

P.S. It is one line and I made it my self.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
PixelPants wrote:The version of [url=http://shirt.woot.com/offers/curiosity-8] that printed last derby finished in 10th place. Three derbies in with the new system may be a little to identify a printing pattern. I imagine the editors and guest judges take votes into consideration, as much for the the voters who took the time to pick their favourites as for the wider buying audience.
I'm excited by the prospect of this Single Line derby as the first one predated my woot involvement. It will be interesting to see if the results are very different this time around. Hopefully I can reign in my tendency to overwork ideas, and get something done.

I think that's why I'd be doubly excited to see a truly great tee win regardless of placement: because it would develop an anomaly and ergo prove that even if woot preferred top vote draws, it's not a given. Basically every doubletake derby has proven that shirts that don't place top-three can out-sell even the number one spot of its original derby, and that shirts that never even fogged could sell as well if not better than second or third. If we were to see, say, 15th or 21st print, a) it would not sell abnormally poorly, because woot has an ever-growing viewership yet an ever shrinking votership, and b) it could be impetus for people to really push themselves even further quality-wise, knowing that even vote neglect won't keep great work from printing.

It is definitely hard to get a bead on overall trends, especially with four derbies with weird themes... of what I've followed, neither "wishes" nor "restaurants" really had scads of must-own pieces. In a style derby like this one, however, there is a guarantee of great work lingering outside the fog, and that's why it's a great way to (hopefully) see a bit more shake-up. Artulo himself could easily give a speech on how it feels to be shafted outside the fog while what prints prints, based on his placement-to-quality ratio the first time this theme passed through. Simply put, to me the sooner we see a true outside, left-field print choice that seems to be made on design worth (that is to say, no picking #43 just because it has a particularly bad Hunger Games pun), the more the derby immediately gets more exciting for the artists and those of us voting for art (and vicariously, immediately risks losing the sorts of voters who have made woot and the derby hemorrhage users of that sort, so win-win). As someone who I've seen a number of intriguing and intricate pieces from in the past, I'm sure you'd be all the more excited about a derby if you knew you could be 100% true to your inspiration and still potentially garner a print for that.

As for "curiousity," I'm not sure that 10th place last week quite counts, since there was a very similar version in 5th. It does, however, so far showcase that old chestnut that I already mentioned: print score means nothing in sales, so why bother with it? 5th, or 10th if you prefer, is still ahead of 2nd.

markedward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages markedward
jfsiv wrote:Would this be considered a pop culture riffs Yes or No?

I wouldn't consider it pop culture... since the symbol is centuries old.

jfsiv

markedward wrote:I wouldn't consider it pop culture... since the symbol is centuries old.

O.K. I wasn't shore because its been use a lot in pop culture, and I wasn't shore if woot would allow it thanks.

PixelPants

quality posts: 69 Private Messages PixelPants
AdderXYU wrote:I'm sure you'd be all the more excited about a derby if you knew you could be 100% true to your inspiration and still potentially garner a print for that.

I don't think I'm the only designer excited by the implications of the new derby rules. In the last few weeks a good number of artists who have been very quiet in recent months have dipped their toes back into the derby waters. Should they continue to participate more regularly it could do a lot to boost the quality and range of derby contributions and therefore potential prints. This is not a slight against regular participants but an affirmation of the contribution that long term community members make when they are active.

brankitteh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages brankitteh

Hoping for a Lion *o*

hairybarry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hairybarry

Ugh... This is way too hard

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

OK - lack of sleep, lots of detail work, and a royal pain to do with one line.

Now - which color???

or

Edit: I tend to like Navy shirts better, myself, but my daughter would smack me around for doing a steampunk design that's not on brown...

kevay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevay
lyonscc wrote:
Now - which color???

Forget your daughter, go with the navy one ;P

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

[quote postid="5140237" user="lyonscc"]
Now - which color???

quote]

Got to say I like the brown better, the design pops more. Very well done btw.

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd
lyonscc wrote:OK - lack of sleep, lots of detail work, and a royal pain to do with one line.

Now - which color???

or

Edit: I tend to like Navy shirts better, myself, but my daughter would smack me around for doing a steampunk design that's not on brown...

I've gotta go with brown, but I'm worried that it will get rejected due to multiple lines. I see multiple endings in the design and in the rules Travis said "No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself."

biticol

quality posts: 2 Private Messages biticol

The no crossing lines rule is not mentioned in the guidelines, damn my whole design i prepared for this derby will not serve I'm not very happy about that.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Tgentry goes into FanTAStic detail about the guidelines on the first page of comments. If you can't fix your design to match the requirements, you can save it for the future and work on something new that may just be totally spontaneous and awesome!

biticol wrote:The no crossing lines rule is not mentioned in the guidelines, damn my whole design i prepared for this derby will not serve I'm not very happy about that.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
clarinerd wrote:I've gotta go with brown, but I'm worried that it will get rejected due to multiple lines. I see multiple endings in the design and in the rules Travis said "No retracing the same path. The line should always be distinct from itself, if that makes sense. Don't fill in a space and try to tell us it's just one line that overlaps itself. Don't try multiple line endings on the grounds that the line turns back on itself."

This. It's an awesome design (and despite my love of navy, the brown pops nicely) but I fear you crossed the line on double-backs. I can see how you drew 99% with one line, but in several places they merge too closely together. Also, I can't see how you managed to do the sprocket teeth on his head with a single line; this is the 1% not covered above.

cfdunbar

citizencoyote wrote:This. It's an awesome design (and despite my love of navy, the brown pops nicely) but I fear you crossed the line on double-backs. I can see how you drew 99% with one line, but in several places they merge too closely together. Also, I can't see how you managed to do the sprocket teeth on his head with a single line; this is the 1% not covered above.

I'm having the same trouble with my own design, because we can vary the line width, I'm just not sure that we can vary it into a 'spike' so to speak.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
citizencoyote wrote:This. It's an awesome design (and despite my love of navy, the brown pops nicely) but I fear you crossed the line on double-backs. I can see how you drew 99% with one line, but in several places they merge too closely together. Also, I can't see how you managed to do the sprocket teeth on his head with a single line; this is the 1% not covered above.

See, I think the gear teeth aren't technically an issue. It's just the line sharply increasing in size. What's more of an issue that I see are some of the points where the line "flares" because those look like the line doubling back on itself...

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tjschaeffer wrote:See, I think the gear teeth aren't technically an issue. It's just the line sharply increasing in size. What's more of an issue that I see are some of the points where the line "flares" because those look like the line doubling back on itself...

I'll go back through my design, but I believe that all of the places with "spikes", I have corresponding "negative spikes/bumps" on the opposing side of the line.

I was using the winning entries of the previous one-line derby as a guide, as they had "spikes" with corresponding "negative spikes"...

cfdunbar

lyonscc wrote:I'll go back through my design, but I believe that all of the places with "spikes", I have corresponding "negative spikes/bumps" on the opposing side of the line.

I was using the winning entries of the previous one-line derby as a guide, as they had "spikes" with corresponding "negative spikes"...

I was looking at that myself, not sure if I'm going to post up my entry until the rejectionator goes thru the first time.