yellowflower


quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
bounty42 wrote:That is perhaps a Bad example, there are other ones that would be easier to be sure. But it could be done. and really I don't think it's any more complex than the THIS or THIS or even THIS



Wow, these are amazing! I wish I had been here for the last one. Very excited to see what everyone will come up with for this one!

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
lyonscc wrote:I'll go back through my design, but I believe that all of the places with "spikes", I have corresponding "negative spikes/bumps" on the opposing side of the line.

I was using the winning entries of the previous one-line derby as a guide, as they had "spikes" with corresponding "negative spikes"...



Yeah, I definitely see what you were doing there. I think those are okay. But check some of the ones on the very left. It looks like there's one chain of spikes where it doesn't have the inverted spike to go along with it.

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
tjschaeffer wrote:Yeah, I definitely see what you were doing there. I think those are okay. But check some of the ones on the very left. It looks like there's one chain of spikes where it doesn't have the inverted spike to go along with it.



Thanks! I will check that during my lunch break!

bastion206


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bastion206

Wait... there's a rule about no phoenixes, but no mention about cats? /facepalm

beware1984


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

Is distressing ok?

PemberDucky


quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

beware1984 wrote:Is distressing ok?



i sure hope so. i am constantly distressed.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
beware1984 wrote:Is distressing ok?



Make sure that the distressing doesn't result in either an apparent break in the line, or a line smaller than the guidelines. I'd probably avoid it, because you're going to be hard pressed to make sure there aren't any pinholes or breaks.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

hcschmidt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt

OK I am trying to submit an entry but everytime I try to it comes up with oops we did not recieve your submission, it has done this several times, I have been just switching to another computer, but it is really getting annoying. Any help out there, cause while it works on other computers it is not on mine.

paxdomino


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paxdomino
hcschmidt wrote:OK I am trying to submit an entry but everytime I try to it comes up with oops we did not recieve your submission, it has done this several times, I have been just switching to another computer, but it is really getting annoying. Any help out there, cause while it works on other computers it is not on mine.



I have been having that problem constantly since Woot went beta, too. I had to try on four different computers before I was able to submit from my sister's laptop. I have a theory that it is the operating system or the web browser that beta doesn't like on some computers.

hcschmidt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt
paxdomino wrote:I have been having that problem constantly since Woot went beta, too. I had to try on four different computers before I was able to submit from my sister's laptop. I have a theory that it is the operating system or the web browser that beta doesn't like on some computers.



Hmmm, that may be it. I think I always use IE on my laptop and then when I switch computers I use Firefox or Chrome. I will have to try one of them on my laptop, it could be the answer. Thanks for the help!

hcschmidt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt
hcschmidt wrote:Hmmm, that may be it. I think I always use IE on my laptop and then when I switch computers I use Firefox or Chrome. I will have to try one of them on my laptop, it could be the answer. Thanks for the help!



Update: Chrome worked! Yeah I can submit from my computer again! Thank you again Paxdomino for the very helpful advice!

johnsongeyer


quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnsongeyer

So many great designs, I want lots of them!
This will be tough to judge!

paxdomino


quality posts: 4 Private Messages paxdomino
hcschmidt wrote:Update: Chrome worked! Yeah I can submit from my computer again! Thank you again Paxdomino for the very helpful advice!



Yay! Glad to help!

ruthjhodsoll


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Man, this is a good one. Too many good options to vote this early!

capnshiner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages capnshiner
IbeMoDean wrote:I wish I had taken more time to master the Etch-A-Sketch beyond bashing it against a wall...



Now there's an idea for a design that would work well in this derby...anything incorporating an etch-a-sketch, especially if it shows the frustrations of actually using one.

threemoons


quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

This is going to be a tough one to pick a winner on; so many amazing designs! Better start saving my deposit bottles and cans to get the top 3!

shunt0007


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shunt0007

This is the coolest derby theme yet! I'm loving all the designs so much!

galapagosfinch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages galapagosfinch

Can I just say, this is the best derby ever, and I have voted for so many shirts - not just 2 or 3 I usually do. I wish there was a way to buy all of them. Nautical and nature themes are the best and they are done so well here this week!

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

I don't expect anyone does care, but does anyone besides me find it odd, disturbing, or otherwise wrong that so many designs have lines which lead to images which have a sort of photographic quality? In other words, things like the map pieces in the fog, where the line just goes back and forth and back and forth, but the line width tapers and peaks just at the right places to create an image? To me that completely goes against the entire spirit of the topic.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
AdderXYU wrote:I don't expect anyone does care, but does anyone besides me find it odd, disturbing, or otherwise wrong that so many designs have lines which lead to images which have a sort of photographic quality? In other words, things like the map pieces in the fog, where the line just goes back and forth and back and forth, but the line width tapers and peaks just at the right places to create an image? To me that completely goes against the entire spirit of the topic.

I agree, but apparently TPTB see no issue with it. In fact, I proposed a very easy technique for that effect in one of the threads, and before I could post a PoC, other people ran with it. I hope one of them prints, just to see the effect on derby submissions going forward.

move along

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I too am disappointed with the number of designs that were created from a solid image. It's against the spirit of the rule if nothing else.

That's not to say there aren't some that are attractive, but I just don't think they're 'single line' drawings.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

autsey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
AdderXYU wrote:I don't expect anyone does care, but does anyone besides me find it odd, disturbing, or otherwise wrong that so many designs have lines which lead to images which have a sort of photographic quality? In other words, things like the map pieces in the fog, where the line just goes back and forth and back and forth, but the line width tapers and peaks just at the right places to create an image? To me that completely goes against the entire spirit of the topic.



I'm ambivalent towards the two moon submissions in the fog right now. On one hand I think lyonscc missed the most fun part about the challenge. On the other hand, it's does produce a neat effect and is technically one line.

I don't think I can decide how I feel about it with any objectivity because I just want my "It's a tree!" to print this week sooooooooo very much! Instead I'll just say what I say every week: It's always interesting to see how people interpret the themes and what people end up voting for. I'm glad I'm not the Rejectionator, I would stink at rejecting designs

orabbit


quality posts: 28 Private Messages orabbit

I don't care if it was done manually. He obviously used a halftoned image as the source and vectorized it. I'm sure it was a lot of work, and it came out nice, but it just looks cheap to me.