Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh
Re: Sign Above the Dotted Line

this will get rejected, you need to get rid of the lines on the bottom and the text.

LiliaRose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LiliaRose
Re: the keys

Nice to see you back, Art. Beautiful as always.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
j5 wrote:I don't know. You could do a pic in horizontal halftone lines, then join the edges to make a "single line".

I looked into trying to automate it via a process like that, but then I wouldn't be able to get the rounded transitional "bumps", and it did seem like it would be cheating. I did this all with vector lines of varying widths, manual editing of segments, and liberal use of expand and divide.

edgrrrzzmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgrrrzzmom
Re: Blue Bird v2

Good job. With the difference in colors you can see the beauty of the design. Thanks.

mothlab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mothlab
orabbit wrote:Thanks so much for your comment, mothlab. Yes, it's a luna alright. Can you make fabric from luna cocoons? I never quite put it together that silkworms are moths. I'll have to dwell on that next time I wear silk boxers.

Luna is in a group called "Saturniids" - related to Polyphemus, Cecropia, Prometheus (common names) moths native to the U.S. Their silk cocoons aren't very high quality (probably bec fibers are uneven, break easily, etc.) so I doubt anyone uses it for textiles, also because it would be hard to rear enough larvae to be practical. OTOH Antheraea pernyi and A. mylitta are close relatives that are semi-domesticated and cultivated en masse in China (Ap) and India (Am) for silk. They're the source of what looks a little like muslin fabric - the natural fiber is light brown and uneven so it's not shiny, but still has a nice "feel" or "hand." I believe it's often used in wool and cotton blends. Your boxers are probably made from silk of Bombyx mori, the only fully domesticated silk-producing species (can't survive on its own) which is the one used for most silk textiles. It's a moth but adults can't fly because bodies have become too big for their wings (or wings too small?) during domestication - a result of artificial selection, probably for bigger bodies and higher silk yield, also easier management in breeding, etc. Sorry to be so long-winded; probably more than you wanted to know.

rickcigarette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickcigarette

Cool shirt!

globalbee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalbee
photogrartist wrote:Very cool. I'm just a newb, but might I still suggest something? Can you consider submitting another one with yellow on navy? I think that would be a good second option. But what you have is fantastic too. Good luck!

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated To be honest, I was struggling with which colours to go with, so I will definitely give this a try!

silverhare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverhare

Thanks! I got to the Derby late (I just found out it existed, in fact) so I had to go from start to finish yesterday.

artlurk wrote:This is an awesome one liner.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flattopfrank
pyromike25 wrote:I love the idea! I don't care much for the O but overall wicked design. +100 if I could. :-)

Thanks. I also do not care for the O. I figured I'd throw it in and see what happened. I'm going to do another design in a little while with the same flames but, the O will be replaced with an eyeball.. after I install an icemaker.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

*stares in awe*

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Line Panda

This is very nice, and kinda trippy too

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

fuacka

Re: hold the line

This is just awesome!!!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Seven Keys makes me happy. This is gorgeous.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

samjack56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samjack56
Re: The Mouse Ran Up the Clock

Maybe a dark brown on creme? Are your lines crossing on the text? That would cause rejection, but it's hard to tell from the comp.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Playful Kitten

A lot of crossed lines there...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

photogrartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photogrartist
Re: The Mouse Ran Up the Clock (navy)

Nice!

Don't go swimming.
My mind is a strange place.

alexandrasteinke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexandrasteinke

I'm in love.

shadownumber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadownumber
Re: Blueprint v.1.0.0

I'd really appreciate any and all comments/suggestions for improvement! But I hope you like it!

scvezai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scvezai
Re: The Ultimate Fibonacci Spiral

I work in IT and we use the sequence when sizing out our work. I would love to have one or two of these to wear to work!

fuacka

Re: smoking kills

I have to quit!
^^

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Blueprint v.1.0.0

This is dope!

treehug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehug

laurenisunderwater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurenisunderwater

Clever!

orabbit

mothlab wrote:Luna is in a group called "Saturniids" - related to Polyphemus, Cecropia, Prometheus (common names) moths native to the U.S. Their silk cocoons aren't very high quality (probably bec fibers are uneven, break easily, etc.) so I doubt anyone uses it for textiles, also because it would be hard to rear enough larvae to be practical. OTOH Antheraea pernyi and A. mylitta are close relatives that are semi-domesticated and cultivated en masse in China (Ap) and India (Am) for silk. They're the source of what looks a little like muslin fabric - the natural fiber is light brown and uneven so it's not shiny, but still has a nice "feel" or "hand." I believe it's often used in wool and cotton blends. Your boxers are probably made from silk of Bombyx mori, the only fully domesticated silk-producing species (can't survive on its own) which is the one used for most silk textiles. It's a moth but adults can't fly because bodies have become too big for their wings (or wings too small?) during domestication - a result of artificial selection, probably for bigger bodies and higher silk yield, also easier management in breeding, etc. Sorry to be so long-winded; probably more than you wanted to know.

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Looks like the Bombyx larvae are used as a food too? Mmmmm, "ground cucumbers"!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Dragon Gate Water

Fabulous design, but hate that light blue shirt color. How about putting it on silver or cranberry with blue lines or navy with lines?

shadownumber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shadownumber
orabbit wrote:This is dope!

thanks!

shapelessclay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shapelessclay

Great; will pay money to own this.

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr
toby8915 wrote:314

It was already awesome, but this makes it even better!! I love it

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Steampunk Fantasy

One more, just because I really enjoy this derby. Someone wondered if my previous design was done (somehow) with halftones. I decided to do one a little more complicated, and to try and get a little bit of a 3D effect...

orabbit

Re: Dragon Gate Sky

Alternate color scheme.
See here for an explanation of the symbolism.

orabbit

Re: Dragon Gate Fire

Alternate color scheme.
See here for explanation of the symbolism.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
lyonscc wrote:One more, just because I really enjoy this derby. Someone wondered if my previous design was done (somehow) with halftones. I decided to do one a little more complicated, and to try and get a little bit of a 3D effect...

you ate a workhorse! I love this derby too, but haven't gotten to the computer to change my drawings to digital ... great stuff!!

orabbit

blk909 wrote:Fabulous design, but hate that light blue shirt color. How about putting it on silver or cranberry with blue lines or navy with lines?

Yeah, it was 4 AM this morning when I finally finished this one. I wasn't really on top of my game when it came time to pick colors. Thanks for the suggestions!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Owline

I love the flair to the lines and how you drew the eyes. This is definitely one of the better designs this week, it needs more votes!

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
Re: Narwhal

I started this and another one (of a Nautilus) before the Seahorse design and decided to finish them up.

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
Re: Narwhal

I started this and another design (of a Nautilus) before the Seahorse and decided to finish them. This one is on Navy with a white ink.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
autsey wrote:you ate a workhorse! I love this derby too, but haven't gotten to the computer to change my drawings to digital ... great stuff!!

oh nooo that's quite a typo! I meant you ARE a workhorse as a compliment, not that you EAT work horses. sighs

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
Re: Green Man Eternal (Olive & Green)

I LOVE this! Fantastic job on all those intricate turns!