tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Re: pi

I'm sorry to say but I don't think those lines are printable. Each number is 9 lines tall. So if you're at the .0625" minimum line size, then each number is 0.5625" tall (possibly a smidge larger since if was really ~ 9.25 lines, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt). Doing a simple copy and paste I found that your design is approximately 60 numbers tall.

The math would therefore dictate that your design is 60*.5625"=33.75" tall, which is beyond the maximum print size. So the only possibilities are that the lines are indeed 0.0625" which would make the design outside the printable area, or the design is indeed 20" tall, which would make the lines ~ 0.037" and thus too small.

It's possible I'm wrong, but these lines really do look like they're just too small.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
tjost wrote:A question, how big is the final art, because the preview image is too small on the shirt for it to be at anywhere near the real size and keep the line width that woot specified needs to be kept? Just wondering.

I've posted the same question on the resub. I've calculated the design to be, at minimum, 33-34" tall.

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
Re: African Tree Frog

Looks great! I Like it! Unfortunately it looks like this round is leaning towards dinosaurs and underwater creatures...
Good show none the less.

Ryokincaid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ryokincaid
Re: One Small Step For A Man (v2)

amazing, amazing work!
I keep looking at all these designs and trying to figure out how in the world the artists did it, but yours takes the cake. I cannot imagine how long it took you to finish this. I may just have to dust off my Woot wallet if it prints

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
februarystar27 wrote:I love this! The other one is great too, but I prefer this one. That's so cool that he (and Gus Grissom) went to your school.

The cool thing about Purdue is that there have been 23 grads go on to be astronauts (the most of any non-military school - see here). One of my high school classmates, a friend of mine, went on to be a flight instructor for the Space Shuttle (she never got to go into space though), and she was a pilot in one of the planes that shuttled the last shuttle to the Smithsonian this past year.

If you're an astronaut nut, believe it or not, Indiana is one of the places to be!

debragr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages debragr
februarystar27 wrote:Thanks! Your comment alerted me to the 2nd version, which I like better (though I'd buy this one if it won).

Glad to help. (And I would also buy it either way...)

superdooodle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superdooodle
tomspc wrote:I am learning that good art is not a requirement on this site. You have the EC (Established Clique) who only vote for each other. That's how all these rainbows, unicorns, bunnies, kittens are always in the fog.

I will say last week's Imaginary Restaurant was an exception. Very good ORIGINAL designs were chosen as winners. Woot needs more of those type Derbies and rid themselves of these leeches who draw the same crap every week.

AMEN

anastasia88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anastasia88
Mavyn wrote:Does that mean you'd like feedback?

I would love feedback!

anastasia88

Re: FishLINE v2

I'm really happy to see a second version of this! Great design and original content!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
kylemittskus wrote:Because of the aforementioned reason?

lol......

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: One Line. One Horn.

I love that this is totally out of your usual theme Truffle, it's not my style but I'd love to buy one for my little nieces.

It's very majestic!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba

Re: Two Fish, One Line

I'm not really into the whole fish yin-yang thing but this is beautiful Boots and I like it. I hope you win! Even though you couldn't wear it without major tailoring.. :-x

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Re: the keys

Cryin' Damn Shame you can't pick yourself.

anastasia88

bluetuba wrote:This reminds me of something copyrighted but I can't put my finger on it.. Maybe it's general enough to not be a problem

It vaugly resembles the Planet Express Logo from Futurama. Not sure if it will be an issue, but that's the image that (i think) you're thinking of.

mothlab

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mothlab
orabbit wrote:Wow! Thanks for all the info. Looks like the Bombyx larvae are used as a food too? Mmmmm, "ground cucumbers"!

I've seen stir-fried Bombyx pupae but not larvae (yet). They're probably quite tasty - rich in protein and oil. Used as a source of vitamin B during the war in Japan.

billandwende

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billandwende
photogrartist wrote:I have an open mind. Please give me feedback on how to improve this design, or just your opinion of it. Thanks.

If they print I'm in for 3.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: The M Line

Thumbnail needs to match the design...not sure why you rotated it?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bluetuba

Re: Rocket

Also the old Interplay logo

and

the old Lego spaceman logo

Not claiming this design is any of those, but I knew something was poking at my brain. ;)

caherrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caherrick
Re: One Line. One Horn.

Totally cool. My daughter would love this shirt, so would I. I've been waiting for a design that my daughter and I can get matching shirts to wear that she would like. Can I also suggest pajama pants with this design repeated all over the pants.

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
tjschaeffer wrote:I'm sorry to say but I don't think those lines are printable. Each number is 9 lines tall. So if you're at the .0625" minimum line size, then each number is 0.5625" tall (possibly a smidge larger since if was really ~ 9.25 lines, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt). Doing a simple copy and paste I found that your design is approximately 60 numbers tall.

The math would therefore dictate that your design is 60*.5625"=33.75" tall, which is beyond the maximum print size. So the only possibilities are that the lines are indeed 0.0625" which would make the design outside the printable area, or the design is indeed 20" tall, which would make the lines ~ 0.037" and thus too small.

It's possible I'm wrong, but these lines really do look like they're just too small.

or they can just check the native file and see that the lines, as per the selection, are wider than 4.5pts.

caherrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caherrick
Re: Tessellate and Roll Out!

I don't really get this but it has robots so my boys like it.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
caherrick wrote:I don't really get this but it has robots so my boys like it.

Thanks! I like robots too...

THe only thing to get is that these robots interlock like legos, to create the ULTIMATE ROBOT...

Don't worry... no one else gets it either.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: The Polemics of Extinction

What fun is trolling if no one bites?

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
Re: Seahorse

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy with how this one came together and really appreciate all your votes and comments.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Re: Endless Ocean

another nice one mr. pants!

tjost

bluetuba wrote:I'm not really into the whole fish yin-yang thing but this is beautiful Boots and I like it. I hope you win! Even though you couldn't wear it without major tailoring.. :-x

This

qetza

Re: Two Fish, One Line

My favorite design of the derby.

qetza

tjost

Re: String Theory

Very nice, I just wish the ball of yarn was a little bigger and done to look more like a traditional yarn ball. Great work though.

tjost

Re: You Can Take the Rat Out of the Maze...

really cool, I just hope the image will print ok. Maybe next time you do something like this allow for a little more space between the lines, it would add to the maze effect especially from a distance. Nice work though!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Re: One Small Step For A Man (v2)

1) lyonscc, this design (both versions) are brilliant. I strongly suspect one will print this weekend and it will be well-deserved.
2) I also suspect that numchucks9000 is someone's "evil twin" account (i.e., duplicate account to double-purchase randoms); whatever.
3) Gentle reminder: whether or not this prints, please remember to remove the hi-res version on Friday so that it can't be used to pirate your design.

Great shirt that is not only a marvel of technique, but captures a moment of deep emotion and tribute; it's a rare shirt that manages both, and you've just totally hit it out of the park with this one.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

collinvh

quality posts: 62 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Backcountry Bear

Gotta love the backcountry. Thanks for checking out my design this week and please vote.

sal21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sal21
Re: The Ultimate Fibonacci Spiral

Superb work... hope i can buy this....

photogrartist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photogrartist
Re: pi

Did you actually have to change your design? If not and they wrongly decided that your lines were too small, that sucks! They should un-reject it.

Don't go swimming.
My mind is a strange place.

photogrartist

billandwende wrote:If they print I'm in for 3.

Looks like I need a miracle for it to print...but thanks for your support!

Don't go swimming.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Endless Ocean

Spiritgreen wrote:My favorite designs this week are the ones that have clear aesthetic or conceptual reason behind using one line

You summed up my thoughts on it well, Spirit. Having the a single line be integral to the idea while making a wearable shirt was my motive for sticking to this concept. I think you managed it very effectively on both your designs this week.
If anyone is interested, this design was a reworking of an early one called Open Ocean. The way the single line ties to the subject was a good enough hook for me to revisit it and the results differ a lot. The line weight restriction creates a different aesthetic so I played with the shape of the design to get it flowing more naturally on the shirt.

photogrartist

walmazan wrote:I was playing in illustrator with the stroke window/cap/round cap icon and the Corner/miter join icon.

I hope it helps.

Wow thanks very much Walmazan! This is very helpful indeed.

Don't go swimming.

jeleavitt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeleavitt
Re: Peace out "B"

This is adoreable and wearable!

photogrartist

orabbit wrote:If I may, play with the miter limit in the stroke options. The more acute (acuter?), the higher the limit will need to be to remain pointy.

Haha...acuter (i like it)
Thanks for this info.

Don't go swimming.

photogrartist

Re: The Mouse Ran Up the Clock (navy)

Yeah! The people like these colors better--it has more votes at the moment than the other color scheme...(pats self on back for suggesting colors...lol)

Don't go swimming.