Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

A joke that's hard to understand? A clever bit of text? A reference? A lovely line drawing or a complex series of colors? A portrait, an abstract, an animal, a robot, a painting?

What's your favorite type of design on the shirts you wear, and (if you even know) why?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation

Not gonna lie. Cute animals are my favorite.

Go on, point your fingers of shame at me! As a girl I think it's part of my DNA that I like all things fuzzy and smooshable. (especially rodenty things)

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
bassanimation wrote:As a girl I think it's part of my DNA that I like all things fuzzy and smooshable.

what about those leftovers in the fridge left over from last year? also fuzzy and smooshable!

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal

I like cats, trees, astronauts and robots. Not necessarily in that order.

Clever helps too.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I don't really have a favorite. A good joke, something science related, fuzzy-squee animals...I think the only category I don't buy for myself are video game references.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

I like designs that are simple and focused, even if it tells a big story.

For example, I am a huge fan of Drakxxx, who is master of telling awesome story in a big design. But guess which one of his designs i wear a lot?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Almost anything cat related...crazy cat lady here!

I also like older video game references, mostly Nintendo as I'm a freak and collect GameBoy games.

Funny puns are always good.

Cute wittle animals of course, and some dragons, ohhhh I love dragons!

linkage89

quality posts: 1 Private Messages linkage89

I like video game references.

My brother tends to like penguins and bunnies.

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond
chennai8 wrote:I like designs that are simple and focused, even if it tells a big story.

For example, I am a huge fan of Drakxxx, who is master of telling awesome story in a big design. But guess which one of his designs i wear a lot?

I love this shirt; can't find mine at the moment. Quirky also scores well too -- the electrical outlets are watching you shirt is one of my favorites. Add in the occasional cat +/or robot +/or monster, or sometimes just put windmills that might be giants in the distance. Quality of execution + the thought put into the design (especially if it amuses me) are more likely to attract my attention than any single "style."

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

I have a joke for you:

Q: How many Mexicans does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Mexicans are lazy.

Is this joke funny? Not remotely. But why? The easy answer is to point to the clear hints of prejudice and stereotyping in the joke, but as America gets more and more proud of its racism again, that joke doesn't get more funny.

Why? Because it's tired. The question follows a trope that is almost impossible to make fresh (even "how many Clint Eastwoods does it take to change a lightbulb" "That depends on if it is invisible or not" has no snap, no zing, despite being a joke that simply couldn't exist last week). It would take a stellar wit, and even then a stroke of luck, to tell a funny "lightbulb" joke, because the premise is over-used and the set-up is predictable. The answer itself, on the other hand... it goes for the most tired and untrue stereotype of Mexicans, the one we'd all go to if asked to finish that joke in a racially insensitive way. No part of the joke is anything but expected, and it's not a good expectation where you're still totally chuffed to be right, but the sort of "oh, meatloaf again!" expectation, where you just pray there's enough gravy to bury it and forget about it.

Now, humor is not a style, just like videogames and cute animals are not styles. However, the same principles apply. Since woot is mostly bad jokes, there is an importance to originality of joke and execution of joke. In other words, the obvious joke of drawing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as the artists they are named after falls flat for anyone with a sense of humor, despite being executed by one of my favorite tee designers, but one of my favorite pop pieces of recent years is an unprinted one by a relative unknown entitled "Krangaroo," an oddly styled drawing of Krang's bodily carrier as a kangaroo, and the little brain-entity as its joey. Far less expected equals far more humor. Which is why my favorite humor pieces are completely non-referential, but just quirky and oddball. It always catches you offguard.

This is the same with "artistic" pieces. What sets them apart from the norm? Well, they are executed well and taken somewhere different. If you're just drawing a tree, there needs to be incredibly distinctive tree drawing going on. Otherwise, make it some sort of magic tree, or an improbable tree, a tree in an appealing setting... catch the eye. Capture the mind.

So for me, style is about understanding how to approach a topic successfully for a discerning audience. In apparel, that means an audience that wants something distinctive. So my favorite style is anything, really, so long as I can look at it and imagine myself in it, without also imagining a situation where I might be surrounded by people wearing the same thing.

But then, I also like to think that all people spend their lives trying to get to a position where their uniform is self-chosen and not obviously a uniform.

SludgeHammer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SludgeHammer
Slydon wrote:
What's your favorite type of design on the shirts you wear, and (if you even know) why?

Very difficult to decide, but I would have to go with the obscure references/video game themes. The recent entry that was a Fallout/Holy Grail reference is a great example and thankfully it is a video game reference, so it covers both favorites!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

move along