+ Add a Comment

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
impetus wrote:Design is essentially the same as this previous Woot shirt:
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/divine-connection

Just pointing the similarity, not making any accusations. For all I know this design came from a "remake" Derby. Have we ever had one of those?

Wow, those are really similar. But woot gave this one an HM, so they must have noticed and decided they're different enough or something

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

This Derby is much better. Not seeing the usual suspects (bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, kittens, etc) in the fog. Hopefully based on the sales in the last Derby, voters have wised up or Woot has wised up. Hard to make money with that cutesie stuff.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
tomspc wrote:This Derby is much better. Not seeing the usual suspects (bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, kittens, etc) in the fog. Hopefully based on the sales in the last Derby, voters have wised up or Woot has wised up. Hard to make money with that cutesie stuff.

Yes there is some great artwork this week !

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:Hard to make money with that cutesie stuff.

Are you kidding me?
Woot makes more money off of "cutesy" than they do off of anything else.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
tomspc wrote:This Derby is much better. Not seeing the usual suspects (bunnies, unicorns, rainbows, kittens, etc) in the fog. Hopefully based on the sales in the last Derby, voters have wised up or Woot has wised up. Hard to make money with that cutesie stuff.

Heh, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

This derby looks different to you because it's a Double Take derby. Every derby Woot selects a bunch of designs and gives them Honorable Mentions and brings them back every few months for a Double Take. Named for the 2nd chance these entries get at winning a derby. Woot generally picks less cute than the voter masses do and the double take winners have historically been better.

You keep slamming the single line derby last week, but it wasn't cute AT ALL, the top 2 were a fish ying-yang and a seahorse and even the unicorn w/ rainbow that you hate so much was actually quite detailed, realistic, and artistic. A far far cry from most of the cute trash we so often see around here.

Which by the way, we've seen so much of because IT SELLS, that's why it wins the derby so much along with pop culture references. Woot has been involving the cute designs so much more lately because it makes them alot of money and generates buzz with all the dorks out there who just LOVE LOVE LOVE Ramyb and the like.

Those of us who actually like non-cute get thrown a bone once in a while, the new derby rules being the latest example of such.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

tomspc

bluetuba wrote:Heh, you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

This derby looks different to you because it's a Double Take derby. Every derby Woot selects a bunch of designs and gives them Honorable Mentions and brings them back every few months for a Double Take. Named for the 2nd chance these entries get at winning a derby. Woot generally picks less cute than the voter masses do and the double take winners have historically been better.

You keep slamming the single line derby last week, but it wasn't cute AT ALL, the top 2 were a fish ying-yang and a seahorse and even the unicorn w/ rainbow that you hate so much was actually quite detailed, realistic, and artistic. A far far cry from most of the cute trash we so often see around here.

Which by the way, we've seen so much of because IT SELLS, that's why it wins the derby so much along with pop culture references. Woot has been involving the cute designs so much more lately because it makes them alot of money and generates buzz with all the dorks out there who just LOVE LOVE LOVE Ramyb and the like.

Those of us who actually like non-cute get thrown a bone once in a while, the new derby rules being the latest example of such.

Considering the unicorn only sold 640ish shirts and is in the danger zone, I don't know how you call that a success. The unicorn looked like a coloring book page not very detailed or artistic. Can't call something "realistic" when it doesn't even exist.

Looking at the top sellers in the Reckoning, the big sellers are not bunnies, rainbows and crap.

My opinion, which I'm entitled to.

deborah11565

tomspc wrote:Considering the unicorn only sold 640ish shirts and is in the danger zone, I don't know how you call that a success. The unicorn looked like a coloring book page not very detailed or artistic. Can't call something "realistic" when it doesn't even exist.

Looking at the top sellers in the Reckoning, the big sellers are not bunnies, rainbows and crap.

I think the best solution would be to segment the derby into two competitions.Why not have one for adults and then one for kids ( adult sizes available).....

tomspc

deborah11565 wrote:I think the best solution would be to segment the derby into two competitions.Why not have one for adults and then one for kids ( adult sizes available).....

I think that's a good idea. They have Kids Woot, just add shirts to it.

dribbles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dribbles

I must own this! Since i'm from NZ and hell i never see any wooters here. This shirt is a must have GMV

deborah11565

j5 wrote:Are you kidding me?
Woot makes more money off of "cutesy" than they do off of anything else.

I think funny and cutsie are two different categories here.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
Re: Lose Yourself

Loved this design in the book derby and I'm so glad that it has a second chance. Wonderful job!

ste7enl

quality posts: 15 Private Messages ste7enl
aerc712 wrote:Loved this design in the book derby and I'm so glad that it has a second chance. Wonderful job!

thank you so much, me too

sherrila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherrila
Re: Keep Calm...Here's a Towel

This is awesome. It would be even more awesome in a different color.

Did you notice the large, friendly letters? I feel calmer already. <3

mikdan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikdan
Re: The Hero We Need

This would probably attract more attention if the image was shifted to the left so that the image in the searchlight was recognizable.

odeteka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages odeteka
Re: On The Inside

I love this! My daughter's birthstone is Amethyst, so she'd have to have one as well. Gotta appreciate beauty on the inside

lehofmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lehofmi
Re: Keep Calm...Here's a Towel

I just wish it came on a towel.

oksanders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oksanders
Re: The Oz desires

I must have this

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:Considering the unicorn only sold 640ish shirts and is in the danger zone, I don't know how you call that a success. The unicorn looked like a coloring book page not very detailed or artistic. Can't call something "realistic" when it doesn't even exist.

This sold over 3100 shirts plus a few reprints

This sold 13,709 shirts and enjoys reprints also.

This sold 340

This sold 169

This sold 384

I could go on, but check Woot's top selling artist page for reference: RamyB at shirtwhat

For more data, check out Narfcake's shining post from July.

Cute sells here.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

evilaelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilaelf
Re: The Hero We Need

Please please please please please please!

caherrick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caherrick
Re: Italian Night

Disgusting and clever. I hope it prints.

jinxcrossbow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinxcrossbow
Re: The Green Door

I want this one for my P.S. collection.
P.S. is the Jean-Paul Gautier of t-shirts :-)

bergmef

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bergmef
Re: Troubled Waters.

I'm still hoping for this one.

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka
Re: The Creation of Nerd

Amazing work!
Print it!

tempestrogue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tempestrogue
Re: Tale of a Huntress

I'd buy it - so I shared it on Facebook so it can get more votes!!

Rogue 5

dcastello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcastello
Re: The Oz desires

Thanks to all ;)

Pyai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pyai
Re: Flight of the Golden Fish

Oh please please please get printed! I was so sad when this didn't print last time!

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu

walkingdead1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages walkingdead1
Re: A Million Sunsets

this is sooooo pretty.

ketpiano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ketpiano
Re: For Better Looking Responders Dial...

Oh, how badly I want this shirt

JessHuch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JessHuch

I need to get this for my friend-she teaches technology and art! Perfect for her!

dragonflye

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonflye
superdooodle wrote:Hahaha, this is great. I love the little teapot in the background!

Only a true Beetle fan would have spotted that.....Good on you

jenikacooper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenikacooper

I need this! When you need something, that is a responsibility.

Re: Wine & Spirits

Thinaeariel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thinaeariel
Re: The Green Door

I need this. Like, years ago.

nutrageous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nutrageous

So GREAT! Anyone who's toted a kid this way will want one.... uh, if they *like* or violently *dislike* cats.

Re: Cat Carrier

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
Re: CvaeNyan

LOVE!!!

Bamojr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bamojr

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
Re: Pac-Snack

How can you not love the expression on the poor little ghost or the beautifully rendered plastic wrap??? Vote Vote Vote!

SteveSpiker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SteveSpiker
Re: bitmap rise

Great design.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: The Pen Is Mightier

Thanks to everyone who's voted. Slow and steady wins the race!

pokinsmot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pokinsmot
Re: A Million Sunsets

id definitely buy it