lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond

Succinct + convincing.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Is that an 8-bit Nathan Hale?

rodwilhelmy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rodwilhelmy

This shirt is wrong Most retro games have the last life at [ x 0 ], not [ x 1 ]. Fail shirt is fail.

Runey00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Runey00
rodwilhelmy wrote:This shirt is wrong Most retro games have the last life at [ x 0 ], not [ x 1 ]. Fail shirt is fail.

Very astute observation, I thought the same exact thing.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

If this is a Mario/Jersey Shore mashup I am going to literally cry angry tears of blood.

Draithy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Draithy

Current life + zombie apocalypse life?...

I would love to wear this shirt while going out and about with a person wearing a 1+Up reference shirt, and walk side-by-side for the LOLs.

captainbaldie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages captainbaldie

Funny idea I suppose, but yeah. X1 is totally incorrect by retro gaming standards, and I don't need some extreme gaming nerd boomeranging me in the back of the head with a NES controller for wearing this.

StarBob

quality posts: 14 Private Messages StarBob

If it was an actual Mario and was "x0" I'd totally have bought this.

bigcockcommando

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigcockcommando

So, is this a play on James Bond or this awful yolo fad? Mario never gave up and died after one. He came back for one last beyond the grave run straight into the lava.

cappo

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo

The thing I don't get is... I'm pretty sure the phrase "You only live once" was in use decades, at the least, before that guy came along.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Allow me to share a brief, yet strangely haunting video from 5 Second Films about the YOLO fad.

xkaj0x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xkaj0x

funny a$$ shirt, even tho x0 would be right.. im still in for one!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

This is the only YOLO that's worth a damn.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

So we're using video games as a metaphor for life, eh? I'd say I'm stuck on the "your prince is in another castle" routine for now.

So maybe this shirt isn't so retro video game correct (x 0 vs. x 1) but it's more math correct. Anything x 0 = 0 so it has to be x 1 to make it "you only live times one".

zyxomma100

quality posts: 8 Private Messages zyxomma100

Well, the implication is that the little guy is stockpiled lives.

So [GUY] x 0 means you have no extra lives, and that guy you have down there jumping on turtles and shooting fireballs is your only one.

broncplaya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages broncplaya

It should of been X 5

rodwilhelmy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rodwilhelmy

No, because x 0 means no EXTRA LIVES. That's what it meant on retro games (where lives mattered anyway).

cslott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cslott

Not sure how well this would juxtapose with an [UP] [UP] [DOWN] [DOWN] [LEFT] [RIGHT] [LEFT] [RIGHT] (B) (A) (START) hat...

WinterArtwork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WinterArtwork

ok for the record this wasn't meant to be a reference to YOLO (but I knew comparisons would be inescapable)

it's just a concept I had...as you were!

panthiest

quality posts: 11 Private Messages panthiest

Yolo has even invaded my precious shirt.woot?

I hate you guys.

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
WinterArtwork wrote:ok for the record this wasn't meant to be a reference to YOLO (but I knew comparisons would be inescapable)

it's just a concept I had...as you were!

I like the shirt a bit better now.
YOLUntil the plumber runs out of lives?

joshualimon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joshualimon

Is this a joke, I have seriously lost all respect for you shirtwoot! very disappointing.

opadillawoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opadillawoot
CowboyDann wrote:YOLO!

FALSE!!! in this game, "x 1" means you have 2 tries left, "x 0" means you have one try left. Besides, YOLO is pop quiz!!

lane7505

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lane7505

In the words of the great Jack Black, "I'm fairly certain YOLO is just Carpe Diem for stupid people."

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

All your confusion are belong to me.

Mr3dPHD

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mr3dPHD
opadillawoot wrote:FALSE!!! in this game, "x 1" means you have 2 tries left, "x 0" means you have one try left. Besides, YOLO is pop quiz!!

Every other post in this thread called...they want their complaint back.

The x1 thing actually makes sense if you ask me. In game, this would mean you have one additional life along with the one you are currently using...but this is not in game. The dude jumping on turtles and traveling though pipes is not represented on this shirt...just the "extra" single life all by itself. The x1 symbol represents ONE life...you only live ONCE. "You only live x0" would mean you only live zero times. That would make no sense, and I guarantee you'd get thrice as many confused questions about a zero from normal people than you would about the one from the retro nerd populace.

Yes...I said thrice. I never get to use that word and it just felt right.

Woots: 26
Wine.Woots: 3
Kids.Woots: 4
Shirt.Woots: 1
Sellout.Woots: 1
Craps: 6

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
WinterArtwork wrote:ok for the record this wasn't meant to be a reference to YOLO (but I knew comparisons would be inescapable)

But be happy it is. It's going to sell you twice as many shirts.

Good work.

elizalishly

quality posts: 20 Private Messages elizalishly
Mr3dPHD wrote:Every other post in this thread called...they want their complaint back.

The x1 thing actually makes sense if you ask me. In game, this would mean you have one additional life along with the one you are currently using...but this is not in game. The dude jumping on turtles and traveling though pipes is not represented on this shirt...just the "extra" single life all by itself. The x1 symbol represents ONE life...you only live ONCE. "You only live x0" would mean you only live zero times. That would make no sense, and I guarantee you'd get thrice as many confused questions about a zero from normal people than you would about the one from the retro nerd populace.

Yes...I said thrice. I never get to use that word and it just felt right.

THANK you. My word. If I read that complaint one more time I was going to have to hurt someone.

I think this is a great idea, and the joke makes perfect sense to me. Clever idea! |-D

ripple23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ripple23

I am not opposed to the phrase 'You Only Live Once' but I hate all the people who like to say the word YOLO, they are usually a step below a big bag of fecal matter.

graywh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages graywh

Never mind that YOLO is grammatically incorrect.

http://x-ology.tumblr.com/post/19573280382/you-know-what-is-the-most-irritating-thing-for

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

I like Jack Black's comment, "I'm fairly certain YOLO is just Carpe Diem for stupid people."

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

I'm holding out for the shirt with Yoda and the abbreviation, OOYL.

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios

Okay, I'm going to throw another possible solution out there, please don't all jump down my throat at once. Suppose just for a second, that the x1 (which as many of you point out actually means you've got one extra life) indicates that the shirt actually states "You Only Live Twice". Then, we can all agree that the shirt makes good sense and it's still a witty little pun and we can all sleep soundly without ripping artist's heads off.

You only live twice:
Once when you are born
And once when you look death in the face
—Ian Fleming, You Only Live Twice, Chapter 11

brknfngr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brknfngr

If I wanted to parallel this design in real life, means I have to buy red pants, and thus wear them... and that ain't happening.

philluhlig

quality posts: 1 Private Messages philluhlig
tanios wrote:Okay, I'm going to throw another possible solution out there, please don't all jump down my throat at once. Suppose just for a second, that the x1 (which as many of you point out actually means you've got one extra life) indicates that the shirt actually states "You Only Live Twice". Then, we can all agree that the shirt makes good sense and it's still a witty little pun and we can all sleep soundly without ripping artist's heads off.

I actually like that idea and think it would have been clever, but the title seems to indicate that isn't what the artist had in mind. That said, I don't feel like getting a random looking dude on my shirt. I would rather Woot had put Mario or something like that. My friends are elitist enough to make fun of a Mario-wannabe.

I mean they did a stylized version of Link breaking the Master Sword by mistake, why not put Mario?

invader_quirk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages invader_quirk

Anybody who's ever played a video game knows this means you have two lives.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
firebirdude wrote:But be happy it is. It's going to sell you twice as many shirts.

Good work.

You mean thrice as many shirts.

joncatch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joncatch

YOLx1