WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Remember the last time we dabbled in crosshatch? We had so many great submissions! So this week we're counting on you guys to come through again by revisiting one of our favorite Derbies. Use only hatched lines to weave a wondrous world of t-shirt glory! Just follow these rules:

• One Color.
  • No Pop Culture.
  • No Text.
  • No halftones, dot, line or other. Just draw 'em!
  • Line width must be a minimum 2 point. Otherwise we might have to reject it due to "un-printability."

This week's Guest Editor is kevlar51

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

20 minutes and no comments? I thought we'd see some early designs already, what with the early heads-up...

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
tgentry wrote:20 minutes and no comments? I thought we'd see some early designs already, what with the early heads-up...

Me too! I'm looking forward to this derby.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
tgentry wrote:20 minutes and no comments? I thought we'd see some early designs already, what with the early heads-up...

OK, how about this work in progress? Are the lines going to be too fine? I'm mostly concerned with the negative lines on the legs.

Also, does anyone have title suggestions? He's a California Condor.

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
orabbit wrote:OK, how about this work in progress? Are the lines going to be too fine? I'm mostly concerned with the negative lines on the legs.

Those lines on the legs don't look any thinner than the ones on the winning & fogged entries on the previous derby.

See the background in the winning walrus entry, for example.

Or, the white nosed reindeer, or the rain dancer.

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv

What heads-up you haven't given use a heads-up in Double-Take Derby 16, 17, or 18.

dntpnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dntpnc

What happened to the random rules? I miss those. When I looked back at the previous crosshatch derby, I was reminded of them.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
orabbit wrote:OK, how about this work in progress? Are the lines going to be too fine? I'm mostly concerned with the negative lines on the legs.

"Dapper Bird" Nice work.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
jfsiv wrote:What heads-up you haven't given use a heads-up in Double-Take Derby 16, 17, or 18.

The heads up have been given in the double take discussion thread recently. DTD17 was missing a heads up, but 16 and 18 definitely had them.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tjschaeffer wrote:The heads up have been given in the double take discussion thread recently. DTD17 was missing a heads up, but 16 and 18 definitely had them.

Yes - 16 was the "Real Life RPG" heads-up. Only 17 was missing a head start.

jfsiv

tjschaeffer wrote:The heads up have been given in the double take discussion thread recently. DTD17 was missing a heads up, but 16 and 18 definitely had them.

My bad I guess I didn't see them.

I'm just use to seeing it on the front page when it says.

And since you've got all this extra time on your hands, here's a sneak peek at next week's Derby Theme to get you started: (Blank)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
orabbit wrote:Also, does anyone have title suggestions? He's a California Condor.

"Carry on, old chap"

move along

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

Will there be a guest judge?

jfsiv

The Line width must be a minimum 2 point with the Brush Tool OR Pencil Tool and in Photoshop or Illustrator because I check and there is a difference between them?

orabbit

j5 wrote:"Carry on, old chap"

LOL! I just got it. Sold.

sombrillo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sombrillo
j5 wrote:"Carry on, old chap"

Haha - good one!

lyonscc

Been narrowing down the choices with the family this week, but narrowing it down from here is at an impasse.

Black, Navy or Green?

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

I prefer the black and gold, myself, due to the gears on the left side.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

Here's one I've been messing with...

It's a battle of HYBRID monsters... one known, one new...

any thoughts on color / possible title?

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Ok... just to be clear.... cross hatch means using many lines that cross each other so basicly a picture made of Xs?

And I'm suppose to do this digitally? :C
I'm screwed. -_-'

amakat7298

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amakat7298

I too prefer the black and gold...

ChronoSquall14 wrote:I prefer the black and gold, myself, due to the gears on the left side.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

I had like three different color choices for my design so I posted it on my blog rather than clog up the comment space here. You can click my facebook link to see it if you want to vote for color choices, or you can wait until tomorrow and be surprised. I'm super excited to see what everybody else submits

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
writermist wrote:Ok... just to be clear.... cross hatch means using many lines that cross each other so basicly a picture made of Xs?

And I'm suppose to do this digitally? :C
I'm screwed. -_-'

i think the reference to "No halftones, dot, line or other" could be rewritten "no computer-generated halftones, whether the halftones use dots or lines." so your design can be a line drawing, but it must include at least some noticeable hand-drawn hatching to indicate shading, and no computer-generated halftones of any pattern.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I've been messing with...

Elephant-squid is a scary thought. It kinda reminds me of Half-Life's bullsquid though..

The anatomy on your elephant squid looks kinda wonky to me though. He'd tip over with all that weight up front and nothing to counterbalance it. The bullsquid here, or something like a T-Rex has a very long thick tail and legs in the center mass to prevent that.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

aramillio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aramillio
oakenspirit wrote:Here's one I've been messing with...

Griffin Vs. Cthulephant
The Battle of the Century

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 23 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

Foxes foxes, who else wants foxes? :D In general I'd like to see some deeply detailed fuzzy stuff for this derby, not just images of birds.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
lyonscc wrote:Been narrowing down the choices with the family this week, but narrowing it down from here is at an impasse.

Black, Navy or Green?

Quick question... Do you even care that none of your gears make sense? I mean, there is good steam punk and poor steam punk. This sir is not steam punk, but rather slapping a few gears on a shirt and ride the pop wave.

orabbit

growgreen wrote:Quick question... Do you even care that none of your gears make sense? I mean, there is good steam punk and poor steam punk. This sir is not steam punk, but rather slapping a few gears on a shirt and ride the pop wave.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
aramillio wrote:Griffin Vs. Cthulephant
The Battle of the Century

That is clearly a Krakephant.

move along

lyonscc

growgreen wrote:Quick question... Do you even care that none of your gears make sense?

Actually, I had a couple more layers of cogs, gears, a boiler, etc. that did connect more together, but they really (really) muddied up the design when it was time to try to add cross-hatching/shading/etc. At that point, I decided to drop the more complicated layers (which seemed to be the issue) in favor of a cleaner-looking design.

So yes, I realize they no longer make much sense, since the layers I took out were below the top layer (screwed on to the frame) and above the bottom layer (which, admittedly, wasn't all that functional).

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
lyonscc wrote:Been narrowing down the choices with the family this week, but narrowing it down from here is at an impasse.

Black, Navy or Green?

I also like blue and gold the best, however I prefer the inverse of the light/dark as shown on the green. It shows the details better.

lyonscc

thatquietgir1 wrote:I also like blue and gold the best, however I prefer the inverse of the light/dark as shown on the green. It shows the details better.

It is funny that you say that. Interestingly, this was the most common answer from my family. "I like the dark ones, but I like the green one's details."

Which is my quandry, as well...

As it is, I may submit the black and green ones... aargh.

(Thank you, sincerely, though, as I thought my family/friends were just indecisive, but it really is a struggle between overall look (light on dark) and details (dark on light).

oakenspirit

bluetuba wrote:Elephant-squid is a scary thought. It kinda reminds me of Half-Life's bullsquid though..

The anatomy on your elephant squid looks kinda wonky to me though. He'd tip over with all that weight up front and nothing to counterbalance it. The bullsquid here, or something like a T-Rex has a very long thick tail and legs in the center mass to prevent that.

Heh.. forgot about the Bullsquid... (can't wait to play Black Mesa!!!)

As for anatomy issues.... The guys got MEAN stomach mussels... GET IT!?;)

sorry... (I'll think on altering that... but... I love the tail as is so... we'll see)

oakenspirit

j5 wrote:That is clearly a Krakephant.

KRAKEPHANT!!! so much cooler than Squidaphant...

heh!

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Somehow, Nox and I both managed to miss the early heads up! >.<

But, we're both really happy with this week's entry. Name still tbd.

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
noxandpy wrote:Somehow, Nox and I both managed to miss the early heads up! >.<

I would call it Julanar, but a Sierra Games reference from the 90s may be a little obscure for most folk. Beautifully done!

orabbit

noxandpy wrote:Somehow, Nox and I both managed to miss the early heads up! >.<

Welcome back!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Black, Navy or Green?

Gold on navy

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51

Here's what I put together "Industrial Tea." Unfortunately I've been out of town, so I wasn't able to start working on this until late last night, but I'm pretty happy with the result.

ruthjhodsoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ruthjhodsoll

Why is "pop culture" so evil? I love the dorkiness... it makes me feel like I'm not alone!!!