Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond

Science strikes again for the win.

cappo

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo

Unfortunately, there's a small chance your order will be sucked into a black hole before it reaches your table.

No Refunds.

pyromosh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pyromosh

Not to poop on anyone's parade, but the LHC straddles the border of France ans Switzerland.

This seems like a very "USA!" design with the color scheme and seems out of place somehow.

Good design though, and I'm still tempted because I am a huge nerd...

maverickmila

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maverickmila
pyromosh wrote:Not to poop on anyone's parade, but the LHC straddles the border of France ans Switzerland.

This seems like a very "USA!" design with the color scheme and seems out of place somehow.

Perhaps you didn't notice, but France's flag is red, white and blue. And Switzerland's is red and white.

komnumep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages komnumep

In for two. My kid brother got to work at CERN this summer.

It was pretty awesome getting his call at 4am July 4 to tell me about the Higgs Boson. Got the meet Peter Higgs as well.

I can't help but try to grab every awesome shirt to commemorate it.

loyaleagle

quality posts: 2 Private Messages loyaleagle

Gotta say...this doesn't really strike me as very imaginative. Seems like something someone would wear because they'd heard of the LHC but know nothing about it. No tagline, not a reference to anything else (so not a mashup). Could be a cafepress shirt with a blank above "Cafe."

My blog: Science Is Magic
On Twitter: Loyaleagle

Woots Purchased: Rainy Souls, Altec Lansing Expressionist Plus 2.1 Speaker System, 1985 BC, Random Shirt (The Quick Brown Fox), Chance of Scattered Showers, Random Shirt (I Wish...), It Came Out of Nowhere

phonedog365

quality posts: 6 Private Messages phonedog365
pyromosh wrote:Not to poop on anyone's parade, but the LHC straddles the border of France ans Switzerland.

Good design though, and I'm still tempted because I am a huge nerd...

If you've seen anything about the LHC you'll know there are over 400 scientists there at any given time. Lots of simulations and massive number crunching going on. A great many nations are represented including the USA. And yeah, they have a giant cafeteria where a Higgs Boson burger is most certainly served in one form or another. :D

unpcnook

quality posts: 8 Private Messages unpcnook

Collider?...
I barely knew her...

-UnPC

zyxomma100

quality posts: 8 Private Messages zyxomma100
loyaleagle wrote:Gotta say...this doesn't really strike me as very imaginative. Seems like something someone would wear because they'd heard of the LHC but know nothing about it. No tagline, not a reference to anything else (so not a mashup). Could be a cafepress shirt with a blank above "Cafe."

I agree with this, pretty much. Unless there's something I'm missing, there's no connection being drawn here whatsoever, not even in the sense that "you've combined two things that are so different that it's funny." And I find that kind of humor hilarious.

chadwsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chadwsmith

I think the joke may be in the smaller text - "Home of the Higgs Boson Burger" which sort of sounds like "Big Bison Burger" like from an Ox - but it's not that clear... or that funny.

The design is "Americana"-ish but so are Burger Joints, last I checked. So I don't see a problem there, really.

That said - I've never made a t-shirt design for Woot - much less gotten one published, so who am I to judge?

Read my blog or, you know, don't. It's up to you.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

All food served at the LHC Cafe is high-energy, of course. *bada bing!*

Congratulations on your second Derby win in three weeks and third Derby print in a month, fishbiscuit! I think you've found your niche: ultrageeky humor.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Sorry i'm a little late, Having a great time in Seattle :3 night everyone

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox

I'm sure I'm pointing out the obvious, but the challenge was "double take" and LARGE HADRON definitely warrants that. Like this road sign.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 48 Private Messages pupyluvr

Should be called the "Higgs Bison Burger".

chadwsmith

toonvox wrote:I'm sure I'm pointing out the obvious, but the challenge was "double take" and LARGE HADRON definitely warrants that.

I'm sorry - I don't follow. What could you possibly mistake "Large Hadron Collider" for? A Small Hadron Collider? that's just silly.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

Perhaps another slogan could be, "Food so delicious, you just might end up eating everything in site!"

toonvox

quality posts: 7 Private Messages toonvox
chadwsmith wrote:I'm sorry - I don't follow. What could you possibly mistake "Large Hadron Collider" for? A Small Hadron Collider? that's just silly.

You keep my small hadron out of this.

chadwsmith

LHC Cafe -
"Food so good, you'll call it divine"

"We might not create a black hole, but our generous servings could fill one!"

"Our cooks create something from scratch everyday - literally from scratch" (that's a Carl Sagan reference)

"Eat like the universe is about to end - because it could."

chadwsmith

"We're not sure if the god particle exists or not, but if it does, our desserts are full of them!"

"It is theorized that there are an infinite number of universes, wherein every possible (and even impossible) situation exists - so there are universes where this is your absolute favorite restaurant ever. There are universes where you eat here everyday - in fact, you are eating here right now! Let's see if this universe is one of those."

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
toonvox wrote:I'm sure I'm pointing out the obvious, but the challenge was "double take" and LARGE HADRON definitely warrants that.

"Double-Take Derbies" occur about four times a year; they're a second chance for designs that received Honorable Mentions from shirt.woot editors after each individual Derby - so this shirt was a response to "Imaginary Restaurants," not things-that-inspire-double-takes - although you have a good point that it would have fulfilled that criterion nicely!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

Is it just me or did anyone else also thought it says Large Hardon Colllider, first time you saw it.
Btw I'm working my way up and hoping i end up at CERN one day, quad major in engineering and astrophysics here!!!

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Congrats Fishbiscuit5!!!!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Oh, wow! I totally did not expect to see this up today. Thank you so much to everyone who voted and supported! Off to wrastle up a Higgs Boson burger, they're smashingly delicious... if you can find one.

basfiji

quality posts: 9 Private Messages basfiji

The First Bite is Lighter than the next

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

I love the weathered effect. Excellent design too!

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza

Congrats Fishbiscuit5!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
loyaleagle wrote:Gotta say...this doesn't really strike me as very imaginative. Seems like something someone would wear because they'd heard of the LHC but know nothing about it. No tagline, not a reference to anything else (so not a mashup). Could be a cafepress shirt with a blank above "Cafe."

"cool thing" cafe" home of the "related word" burger

I would buy that shirt,,,

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

According to this article there is a cafe at the collider. But no hamburgers. " In the cafeteria, physicists sip espresso and eat pastries, chattering in French, German, Spanish and English. On the wall, digital screens post updates on the progress of the massive machine 100 meters beneath them. "

pfffft!

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots

Congrats, FB (you and your great nerdy designs)!

oakenspirit

BootsBoots wrote:Congrats, FB (you and your great nerdy designs)!

That's what I was thinking... she's been on a roll...

rhinoceros1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rhinoceros1

I did the same thing.

loygross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loygross

Love the comments! Love the shirt! Trigger finger itching over the "I Want One" button.

It's grey again

vipre01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages vipre01

I know I shouldn't, but everytime I see LHC I can't help but think of Large Hard-on Collider.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
loygross wrote:Love the comments! Love the shirt! Trigger finger itching over the "I Want One" button.

It's grey again

I know how you feel.

I'm just hanging out, really.

wpeteroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wpeteroy

Thanks for making a great-looking shirt. The LHC reference should be right on par for the shirt.wooters in my office.

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Oh, wow! I totally did not expect to see this up today. Thank you so much to everyone who voted and supported! Off to wrastle up a Higgs Boson burger, they're smashingly delicious... if you can find one.

oakenspirit

Hmmmm....

A sherlock holmes writeup...

Will the story continue tomorrow with "Keep Calm Heres a Towel" and conclude sunday with "The Hero We Need???"

Jonsoncao

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jonsoncao

A no brainer for a computational physicist like me.

Snapper67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snapper67

At first I thought this was hilarious. But I also thought it said "Large Hardon Collider"

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

It will amaze you when your food arrives right before you've ordered it, but then the wait staff will double-check and realize it was a mistake before taking it to the correct table.

For a second, though, it seemed like they had stumbled on something that would change the fundamental nature of foodservice for all time.