chiborino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiborino
pupyluvr wrote:Should be called the "Higgs Bison Burger".

If you eat it, it gives you more mass

thechilipepper0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thechilipepper0

Is this near Milliways?

jlindgren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlindgren

I LOVE THIS SHIRT! Woot ought to send one to Sheldon (Jim Parsons) on The Big Bang Theory. He constantly wears T's with things such as this.

junwagh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages junwagh

I love the design of this shirt, but it seems to me that all it does is make a reference to popular science and then make it a cafe and burgers. I don't get it, it seems forced and a naked attempt to appeal to pop culture with no real wit or ingenuity or anything behind the design. Am I missing something?

slubgub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slubgub

Hmmm, looks familiar...

stringguynotfungi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stringguynotfungi
chadwsmith wrote:"We're not sure if the god particle exists or not, but if it does, our desserts are full of them!"

"It is theorized that there are an infinite number of universes, wherein every possible (and even impossible) situation exists - so there are universes where this is your absolute favorite restaurant ever. There are universes where you eat here everyday - in fact, you are eating here right now! Let's see if this universe is one of those."

In case you haven't heard, these physicists are pretty sure they found it, but please don't call it the "God particle". It is the reason we have gravity, nothing more. Physicists don't like that term.

andycorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andycorm
loyaleagle wrote:Gotta say...this doesn't really strike me as very imaginative. Seems like something someone would wear because they'd heard of the LHC but know nothing about it. No tagline, not a reference to anything else (so not a mashup). Could be a cafepress shirt with a blank above "Cafe."

I wholeheartedly agree. This one seems like an extremely childish attempt at humor, and not in a good way =/

Oxirane

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Oxirane
stringguynotfungi wrote:In case you haven't heard, these physicists are pretty sure they found it, but please don't call it the "God particle". It is the reason we have gravity, nothing more. Physicists don't like that term.

I thought it was the carrier particle for mass?

shed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shed

"It is the reason we have gravity, nothing more."

I love this sentence!

leptogenesis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages leptogenesis
Oxirane wrote:I thought it was the carrier particle for mass?

Close, but not exactly. The best way to think of it is as follows:
The Higgs boson is the manifestation of the Higgs field, which is kind of like a cosmic molasses that exists everywhere in the universe. Relativity tells us that particles without mass must travel at the speed of light. This molasses slows certain particles down from the speed of light, which means they have inertia, or mass. Mass is important not only in gravitation, but at every level of physics. If protons and electrons were massless, and always traveled at lightspeed, atoms couldn't form, hence no solid matter.
Credentials: PhD student in particle physics, work for one of the LHC experiments.

Also, for the people who are still grinning over the visual double-entendre, this t-shirt might interest you: ;)
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/23559901/particle-physics-hadron2jpg_tshirt

My avatar wears a fez now. Fezzes are cool.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Congrats on another fine print, fb!

Oxirane

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Oxirane
leptogenesis wrote:Close, but not exactly. The best way to think of it is as follows:
The Higgs boson is the manifestation of the Higgs field, which is kind of like a cosmic molasses that exists everywhere in the universe. Relativity tells us that particles without mass must travel at the speed of light. This molasses slows certain particles down from the speed of light, which means they have inertia, or mass. Mass is important not only in gravitation, but at every level of physics. If protons and electrons were massless, and always traveled at lightspeed, atoms couldn't form, hence no solid matter.
Credentials: PhD student in particle physics, work for one of the LHC experiments.

Also, for the people who are still grinning over the visual double-entendre, this t-shirt might interest you: ;)
http://www.cafepress.com/mf/23559901/particle-physics-hadron2jpg_tshirt

Interesting, thanks for the clarification. The more you know!

colbyhiggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colbyhiggs

Highs boson burger's is the name of our Trivia team!

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 10.333s
First Sucker: sadiered
Last Wooter to Woot: timjoho
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 46% of Shirt Woots
Top 41% of all Woots
Woots Sold:

First day sales 1560

jazzelwood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazzelwood
chadwsmith wrote:I think the joke may be in the smaller text - "Home of the Higgs Boson Burger" which sort of sounds like "Big Bison Burger" like from an Ox - but it's not that clear... or that funny.

The design is "Americana"-ish but so are Burger Joints, last I checked. So I don't see a problem there, really.

That said - I've never made a t-shirt design for Woot - much less gotten one published, so who am I to judge?

Yes to me it's like Americana- bison Burger + technology
Yes it's clear and funny. The sad part is that I don't follow Woot too closely and should have picked this up for $10 but I missed it. From my stats I buy 2 year and this looks totally cool. I finally bought one for me and not my husband weeee

jazzelwood

jazzelwood wrote:Yes to me it's like Americana- bison Burger + technology
Yes it's clear and funny. The sad part is that I don't follow Woot too closely and should have picked this up for $10 but I missed it. From my stats I buy 2 year and this looks totally cool. I finally bought one for me and not my husband weeee

jazzelwood

jazzelwood wrote:

Oops I meant $12

zelda26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zelda26

What? Wyoming doesn't like accelerated particles? :0

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

The print came out fantastic! I really love the faded, retro effect. Thanks so much for doing such a great job on the printing, woot. I'm a happy girl!

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

fishbiscuit5 wrote:The print came out fantastic! I really love the faded, retro effect. Thanks so much for doing such a great job on the printing, woot. I'm a happy girl!

NICE.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.