nice work! sweet design.

ibobafett

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibobafett
Re: Looming

This looks fantastic!

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Squid and Crossbones

cool illusion! quality as always. nice work!

jalexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jalexan
Re: Wherever I Lay My Hat

The monocle makes this!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Imagination

What color is the shirt?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: RoboHamlet

Funny, but numbers count as text in the derby.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

canneryrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages canneryrat
Re: fairy dust not sissy

Tried fixing the squished fairy look that happened my the first upload. When uploading my computer kept doing error or something so I'd send it again--so thats why there's duplicates... to make me look like a real freshman

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
collinvh wrote:I believe by "hand drawn" he means "drawn by hand", in other words, without the use of a computer. The derby rules clearly state "Just draw 'em!". They are looking for hand drawn designs.

I understand this might not be the exact photo you used to create your design but please try to keep your designs original (without altering another artists work).

Collinvh - actually, I used a photo I took at Ellis Island to get the initial tracing (for the shaded areas). That particular angle is fairly popular, since it's available in the courtyard at the bottom of the statue. (So I'm not using another artist's work).

(EDIT: I travel quite a bit, so I've got thousands of photos/locations I can choose from for inspiration, outlines, etc. For example, I will be in Tanzania in a couple of weeks with a philanthropic group, and one weekend I'll be on safari (so I expect I will have a lot of African animal/scenery pics to add to my repertoire)...

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza
grrlmarvel wrote:Really dig that turtle shell... it's an interesting take on it but it works well. Niiiiice!

Thanks grrlmarvel! I was trying to incorporate the crosshatching in as many spots as I could think of and the shell was a result of it.

qetza

pinkstorm wrote:awesome!

Thanks Pinkstorm!

qetza

pinkstorm wrote:awesome!

Thanks Pinkstorm!

qetza

expo01 wrote:So cool!!

Thanks Expo01!

eravau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eravau
Re: Dräke Akhekhü

I'm not quite sure why... but this thing unnerves me a bit. It just looks evil.

morningsong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morningsong
Re: Mohawk

Very nice. He looks so fierce.

ibaitxo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibaitxo

Mavyn

canneryrat wrote:Tried fixing the squished fairy look that happened my the first upload. When uploading my computer kept doing error or something so I'd send it again--so thats why there's duplicates... to make me look like a real freshman

I believe the size is 602 x 502...and you can delete the previous entries. There should be a small red X by the upper right corner of the design. Click it, and the entry will go away.

juanoc74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juanoc74
chachachino wrote:hey this is pretty cool. it almost looks like he's playing a violin.

Hahah I just noticed.
Cool thanks

Mavyn

Re: Wherever I Lay My Hat

This is so well done.

kakolak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kakolak

Great !

kakolak

Re: Still Death

AWESOME !!!!

kakolak

Re: Just A Pocket

Awesome linework !

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
paxdomino wrote:It is on cream. Creme?

Thanks. It looked almost pink-ish to me so I was a bit confused.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
lyonscc wrote:Collinvh - actually, I used a photo I took at Ellis Island to get the initial tracing (for the shaded areas). That particular angle is fairly popular, since it's available in the courtyard at the bottom of the statue. (So I'm not using another artist's work).

(EDIT: I travel quite a bit, so I've got thousands of photos/locations I can choose from for inspiration, outlines, etc. For example, I will be in Tanzania in a couple of weeks with a philanthropic group, and one weekend I'll be on safari (so I expect I will have a lot of African animal/scenery pics to add to my repertoire)...

Maybe one of the artists who pays closer attention can chime in with the finer points of how the rules work but we don't see photo tracers last very long around here. I'm surprised you don't get rejected more often honestly.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud

Amazingly beautiful! +1

samanthastroud

This must be what I look like when I write! Would REALLY love to own. +1 (wish it could be more!)

samanthastroud

SO happy to see a Kevlar robot in the fog! I've wanted one of these designs for the longest time. Please print!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
bluetuba wrote:Maybe one of the artists who pays closer attention can chime in with the finer points of how the rules work but we don't see photo tracers last very long around here. I'm surprised you don't get rejected more often honestly.

Most of my designs over the past year don't ref any photos.

And when I say "trace a photo", I mean "use it as a transparent reference" (for shading, shape, etc.) and not Illustrator's "Live Trace" function (which is nigh on useless for six-color designs).

elfprincess2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elfprincess2012
Re: I like this oneRagnarok

kaikus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaikus

Excellent

silversickness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversickness
Re: Hamadryad

I love this design, by far my favorite. Not a fan of the color though. =/

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
Re: Knock, Knock... Trick or Treat

Love the art, but I'm really hard pressed to believe those are 2 pt. lines. They appear more like a .5 line width. Amazing design, though I wonder if it's even printable?

princessbunny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages princessbunny
mapinto wrote:Love the art, but I'm really hard pressed to believe those are 2 pt. lines. They appear more like a .5 line width. Amazing design, though I wonder if it's even printable?

I'm seeing the same thing here. Them lines look mighty thin.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
canneryrat wrote:Tried fixing the squished fairy look that happened my the first upload. When uploading my computer kept doing error or something so I'd send it again--so thats why there's duplicates... to make me look like a real freshman

Yeah, you can delete entries for 24 hours, I would go ahead and delete all previous ones

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley
Re: fairy dust not sissy

Can I get her phone number?

runnerfrog13

chellemonkey wrote:This design is cute but the color makes it not as desirable and the thumbnail nearly made me not click it at all.

I agree. It's a cute design and deserves a better chance.

The orange would look great on a blue shirt, like a navy or royal, but on this tan shirt it's just hard to look at the design. That's what I would fix to start.

Second, pick a different thumbnail, zoomed out more than your current thumbnail. One of the kid's face + pipe or face+scarf would be good, or one with the box in it. That will give your voters a better feel for the design and make them interested in seeing more of it. Right now the closeup of the cloud isn't very attractive and doesn't show off your design.

Good luck!

glorinmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glorinmann
Re: rain dancer

Superb.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Forever Crossed

The fact this isn't fogging has me ready to 'hulk smash' something. I'll start with assorted fruits and work my way up to taking on the internet.

runnerfrog13

jovemako wrote:I really like the design but it's hard to see against the red. I'd darken the design to something to like a charcoal grey.

It looks already like charcoal gray to me. Whatever color it is, I think it will be better if it's significantly darker in shade or significantly lighter in tone than the cranberry. Colors that work well on cranberry are creme, dark maroon, gold. I wouldn't use black. Given the steampunk nature of your design, I'd go for something like a golden yellow.

Or you could change shirt colors, this might work well on a dark gray shirt (can't remember the shirt color, sorry) or a light gray shirt with dark charcoal ink. Or go completely different and use a brown shirt with golden yellow ink!

runnerfrog13

Re: DEMONBANE

Good to see Drakxx back! Your style lends itself so well to hatching

runnerfrog13

Re: Forever Crossed

I like the intricate detail, it works so well with the hatch theme and they are fun to look at. That said, I think the moebius strip effect here is lost because of the busyness of the design.