omarfeliciano

quality posts: 36 Private Messages omarfeliciano
jmgenens wrote:While I'm loving this, the anatomy nerd in me is struggling that a creature would have its spinal column attached to its lower jaw. That means to strike and bite, either the cranial portion would have to extend back or the cervical vertebrae would have to flex to open the mouth.

I still love everything else about this though ;).

It's not attached to the lower jaw per se. It's more like the angle of the drawing ;)

tehnakki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehnakki
jmgenens wrote:While I'm loving this, the anatomy nerd in me is struggling that a creature would have its spinal column attached to its lower jaw. That means to strike and bite, either the cranial portion would have to extend back or the cervical vertebrae would have to flex to open the mouth.

I still love everything else about this though ;).

I'm so glad I'm not the only person to notice that =D Though I don't think I can overlook it unfortunately, I can't be having no anatomical mistakes on my fantasy creatures.

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
Re: Skull Candle

I like to draw crosshatch skulls...

Averages 10 votes per round ;)

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan

Is there supposed to be a skull?

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14
Re: keep calm and carrion

I like this because it reminds me of the Victorian print style, especially on the grey background ^^.

Averages 10 votes per round ;)

spunkymol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spunkymol
Re: PANDALYMPICS

IT"S SO SUPER ADORABLE!!!!!!

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

Yes please! Nice shapes and cute concept!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus

Re: moonrise version b

The thick, solid lines you use for shading and the lines in the ocean are not cross-hatching.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: The Last Dragon Hunter

I really like this, that's a fantastic drawing and works so well as a sketch on a light shirt IMO.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
cmdixon2 wrote:The fact that the wing follows the same exact line as the blade on the scythe is really distracting to me. You might want to think about repositioning the left wing. Also, where is his right wing? Seems like from the height of the left wing that we'd see at least part of the right wing as well. No?

You didn't know? Death only has one wing.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
oakenspirit wrote:Hmmm... so is a guy who avoids all social media and who has never sold a shirt and thus hasn't become one of the regulars doomed from day one???

Maybe I'm doing this wrong...

:\

I wouldn't say that.

It does help to have a small list of dedicated friends and family who are woot purchasers, but since most winning designs have 600+ votes, unless you have 600+ friends, it still comes down to having good, solid designs. Your friends/family can help boost you early on, like getting you into the "New Hotness" list, which gets more eyes on your design for awhile.

I currently get notices when a couple of the other artists post new designs, because they use social media, and it would be even easier if shirt.what started working again.

But, like I say, a good design beats any social media advantages.

lyonscc

orabbit wrote:Hmm... a lot of folks love the Photoshop Effects look?

While I do/did use Illustrator almost exclusively, I don't think I used "Photoshop Effects" on any of my designs this week...

omarfeliciano

Re: Dräke Akhekhü

PLEASE REVOTE!

Fix: Vertebrae is now attached to the cranium, not lower jaw.

Ancient study drawing of an Akhekhu dragon.

omarfeliciano

Re: Drake Akhekhu

I just uploaded a fixed version with the vertebrae attached to the cranium. Please Revote!

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/65879/drke-akhekh

marzipanapple

quality posts: 7 Private Messages marzipanapple

I will have this.

lyonscc

Re: Liber-T

Oh - totally forgot to say - I really did enjoy this week (which is why I ended up with so many designs). I have insomnia, particularly during the fall allergy season, so this gives me something more productive than video games and late-night TV during those hours...

I keep a folder full of ideas, many of them half-worked, and a lot of them really worked well with cross-hatching. I was able to develop a number of Illustrator brushes the sped up the process considerably.

dooomcat

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dooomcat

Love it, his expression is awesome!

dooomcat

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dooomcat

Love it, his expression is awesome!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
lyonscc wrote:Most of them are in the night sky, though there are some in the moon. I tried to use R->L hatches to show movement and texture, and L->R hatches to shade.

They seem more like an accident than a deliberate use of the crossing to create texture or shade.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo
kylemittskus wrote:The thick, solid lines you use for shading and the lines in the ocean are not cross-hatching.

I'm not defending this particular design, but if the rejectorator actually followed the written rule "use only hatched lines" there wouldn't be many designs left.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: Who has the key ? (on biege)

I personaly liked the red version better but, it does show more detail on the lighter color... enjoy.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
mapinto wrote:Buzz....? Pfewt, Neil, Buzz, take your pick. They wore the same shoes, lol...

Yeah, I made a close version of this last week after Armstrong's death, and checked whose footprint it was before submitting it for a daily, and was really bummed that it was Buzz' foot. didn't sub it.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
kylemittskus wrote:You didn't know? Death only has one wing.

That is kinda funny, but he's done similar things plenty of times before and had two wings.

Ahh, the good old days, before the fires of forum battle died out.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

lyonscc

no1 wrote:text?

Pictographs aren't text.

The "no text" rule goes for any characters found on a keyboard. While there are simplified Chinese keyboards, pictographs aren't text and aren't found on their keyboards.

To think parallel to our own experience in America, if someone submitted a design that incorporated a "Peace" sign (the circle with a downward line and two forking lines), it would not be considered "text".

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
artulo wrote:This is all hand drawn??

^ You forgot to answer this.

lyonscc

Mavyn wrote:They seem more like an accident than a deliberate use of the crossing to create texture or shade.

Um, sorry?

If you look at the full-shirt design, the difference in shades is a bit more obvious. I wanted the night sky to show through (since I only had one color) and to appear darker than the moon (which also needed darker and lighter patches).

In looking at designs from the prior derby, not all "hatching" was fully cross-hatched.

justmiller87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justmiller87
Re: Hamadryad

Best shirt in this derby. A job well done.

lyonscc

cmdixon2 wrote:^ You forgot to answer this.

Sorry - I missed it.

If by "hand drawn", you mean done in Illustrator with brushes, vectors and non-halftone techniques, yes. Some of my brushes were made via scanning in ink-hatches.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
lyonscc wrote:Um, sorry?

If you look at the full-shirt design, the difference in shades is a bit more obvious. I wanted the night sky to show through (since I only had one color) and to appear darker than the moon (which also needed darker and lighter patches).

In looking at designs from the prior derby, not all "hatching" was fully cross-hatched.

Not all, but they were the majority. As I said, I like the image, but if I were asked to identify a style, 'crosshatching' wouldn't be the most obvious.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka
Re: Conqueror

Thank you everyone for your support!
So glad you like it!

jmgenens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmgenens

YES!

omarfeliciano wrote:PLEASE REVOTE!

Fix: Vertebrae is now attached to the cranium, not lower jaw.

Ancient study drawing of an Akhekhu dragon.

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Re: The Last Dragon Hunter

Oh my stars and garters.... this is so.... it's just.... why it just rocks hard!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
lyonscc wrote:Pictographs aren't text.

The "no text" rule goes for any characters found on a keyboard. While there are simplified Chinese keyboards, pictographs aren't text and aren't found on their keyboards.

To think parallel to our own experience in America, if someone submitted a design that incorporated a "Peace" sign (the circle with a downward line and two forking lines), it would not be considered "text".

see this rejection: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/33525/firefly

lyonscc

Mavyn wrote:Not all, but they were the majority. As I said, I like the image, but if I were asked to identify a style, 'crosshatching' wouldn't be the most obvious.

Gotcha.

I understand where you're coming from - I had to Google "Crosshatching" last week when it was announced, just to see what it was defined as. My last true art class was in 1982, so the derbies are, themselves, a bit of an education. Until I started participating in these I couldn't have told you what Art Nouveau, Art Deco, Prompe L'oeil, etc. were...

Best regards.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: The Ol' Bamboo

Did you texturize a photo or did you create this image completely from scratch?

lyonscc

no1 wrote:see this rejection: http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/33525/firefly

Ah - I may misunderstand the rule. I just understood it from Travis' explanation to be "if it's on a keyboard, it's text - which includes math symbols".

I don't know Chinese, but if the design you linked to uses simplified Chinese characters to spell out Firefly, then that would be the reason for rejection.

Pictographs, aren't really text, though. They don't have letters, and they aren't really words, either.

If it's rejected though, so be it. I wonder, then, if they ought to consider ANY symbol to be text, then - which would rule out a lot of designs that make it through the "no text" filters...

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Figured I'd draw something for this Thanks in advance for the support.

DETAIL SAMPLE 1:

DETAIL SAMPLE 2:

LARGE FULL IMAGE LINK:
http://i48.tinypic.com/olhrl.png

lyonscc

goldenthorn wrote:Did you texturize a photo or did you create this image completely from scratch?

I used 5 or six reference images, created a "scratch" drawing (with different levels of shading), and then used hatching and lines to build the actual image (throwing away the "scratch" in the end).