lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: DEMONBANE

Gorgeous. Love it!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

lyonscc wrote:Ah - I may misunderstand the rule. I just understood it from Travis' explanation to be "if it's on a keyboard, it's text - which includes math symbols".

I don't know Chinese, but if the design you linked to uses simplified Chinese characters to spell out Firefly, then that would be the reason for rejection.

Pictographs, aren't really text, though. They don't have letters, and they aren't really words, either.

If it's rejected though, so be it. I wonder, then, if they ought to consider ANY symbol to be text, then - which would rule out a lot of designs that make it through the "no text" filters...

A pictogram like this IS Chinese text--it's part of the written language, just modified written characters. It's like saying that ornate Arabic calligraphy isn't text because the letters/words are nearly unrecognizable in their transformation into (usually) religious art symbols. A peace sign doesn't derive from any written language. It's an art symbol. I mean, sure, it might have some basis in some ancient Nordic runic alphabet, for all I know, but it isn't text. Comparing a peace symbol to modified modern Chinese text is like comparing the famous smiley face to graffiti signature tags. For example, in English, is this text? Yes, yes it is (for woot art purposes anyway). It's not any one letter, but it's definitely a bunch of letters put together to make a pictogram. And that pictogram is text (at woot).

Or at least that's what I think.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

i like everything about this except, possibly, the smooth, featureless expanse of his bikini area. it contrasts with a lot of the surrounding drawing, making it, uh, "stick out" a bit.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

no1 wrote:i like everything about this except, possibly, the smooth, featureless expanse of his bikini area. it contrasts with a lot of the surrounding drawing, making it, uh, "stick out" a bit.

Yeah! C'mon Drakxxx, I know you can make a tasteful bulge (and I mean that in the most flattering, admiring way possible)! Seriously, making it totally flat and un-textured draws just as much attenton to the area as if you made some horrible comicbook-stereotype monster bulge.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

lyonscc wrote:I used 5 or six reference images, created a "scratch" drawing (with different levels of shading), and then used hatching and lines to build the actual image (throwing away the "scratch" in the end).

Niiiice!

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx
goldenthorn wrote:Yeah! C'mon Drakxxx, I know you can make a tasteful bulge (and I mean that in the most flattering, admiring way possible)! Seriously, making it totally flat and un-textured draws just as much attenton to the area as if you made some horrible comicbook-stereotype monster bulge.

Monster bulge huh, I think I have that on DVD...

Ok guys, I'll fix it

lyonscc

goldenthorn wrote:A pictogram like this IS Chinese text--it's part of the written language, just modified written characters. It's like saying that ornate Arabic calligraphy isn't text because the letters/words are nearly unrecognizable in their transformation into (usually) religious art symbols. A peace sign doesn't derive from any written language. It's an art symbol. I mean, sure, it might have some basis in some ancient Nordic runic alphabet, for all I know, but it isn't text. Comparing a peace symbol to modified modern Chinese text is like comparing the famous smiley face to graffiti signature tags.

Or at least that's what I think.

Goldenthorn - Here's the Wikipedia article on Pictograms. They are ideographs (whose shape is supposed to convey a cultural meaning) not alphabetical (abstract shapes that represent phonemes - spoken sounds). You bring up the famous "Smiley face" - this would be an example of an English pictograph, whose meaning has to do with happiness. You wouldn't call a smiley face "text" the same way you wouldn't call a pictograph "text".

Chinese pictographs are not utilized to make other words, they stand on their own to have meaning.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Last Dragon Hunter

Man, that dragon is ready to bite someone in half. Great rendering.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: PANDALYMPICS

Panda in a canoe would make a great shirt all by itself. (don't ask me why, it just would)

Lovely work, Pablo. :^)

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

lyonscc wrote:Goldenthorn - Here's the Wikipedia article on Pictograms. They are ideographs (whose shape is supposed to convey a cultural meaning) not alphabetical (abstract shapes that represent phonemes - spoken sounds). You bring up the famous "Smiley face" - this would be an example of an English pictograph, whose meaning has to do with happiness. You wouldn't call a smiley face "text" the same way you wouldn't call a pictograph "text".

Chinese pictographs are not utilized to make other words, they stand on their own to have meaning.

Yes, I am completely familiar with what pictograms are and are not. I've got a few languages/alphabets under my belt and have dealt with that sort of thing.

Where I am confused--and am thus questioning the validity of your entry--is the origins of your particular pictogram. You mention the forest, but either I am incredibly blind or there is no mention of this pictogram anywhere. I don't know Chinese (Mandarin in this case, right?), but parts of the language symbols are extremely close/similar to this particular pictogram. I did a very quick search and I see no mention of it anywhere in relations to this forest.

So are you saying that you completely made up this pictogram and that you just drew it to look somewhat like Chinese characters? Or that this is an existing pictogram that represents this particular forest? If the latter is the case, then how do you know that it isn't based on an amalgamation of Chinese text--making it text according to woot (when they feel like enforcing that rule)--since you aren't familiar with the Chinese language or text?

Is there a link to where the meaning/background of this particular pictogram is described?

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka
artulo wrote:I don't care what it's called, the drawing is excellent and badass. I'd buy it.

Thank you!
^^

lyonscc

goldenthorn wrote:Are you saying that you completely made up this pictogram and that you just drew it to look somewhat like Chinese characters? Or that this is an existing pictogram that represents this particular forest? If the latter is the case, then how do you know that it isn't based on an amalgamation of Chinese text, since you aren't familiar with the Chinese language or text? Is there a link to where the meaning/background of this particular pictogram is described?

It's a little late (since this has been rejected), but there was a show (I think on the Discovery channel) that talked about how Chinese pictographs are created, and how they pre-date simplified Chinese writing. "Dream", "Ninja", "House" and some other common words were demonstrated (how they were made to look like what they represent). (Edit: See here)

Such is life tho.

I'll save this for a later derby...

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ

agree about the wing.. you really need another on there... also the light don't look right.. i.e. the light seems to be hitting all over there place behind him, in front of him, above him, from the left and right. also the shading on all of it looks really good but the skull has no shading at all... don't make much since to me at all... realistic on 90% of it then cartoon for the last 10% is kinda silly

L3g3ndQ

Re: click b click a click n click a click n click a

ok i really like this one!!!

collinvh

quality posts: 61 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Just A Pocket

Thanks for checking out my design this week. Please vote, if you enjoy it.

justinsarahjo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justinsarahjo

I appreciate this post because I see that it does takes some loyal regulars to get yourself up into the fog. I've been so frustrated with this site for a long time because my shirts i put hours and hours into often get no recognition. Decided I'll spend more time with my family then waste hours of time and sleep focusing on a doomed idea. I'll only participate when it really counts. Anyone else experience this frustration themselves?

L3g3ndQ

Re: Depth of Cthulu (on navy)

ok i want this!!!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Who has the key ? (on biege)

I hate to say it Flattop... but you need to move to a different shirt site. I enjoy your work but it is just not working here....This is actually original, which most artist appreciate ! Your creativity is refreshing !!

deborah11565

Re: Who has the key ?

I hate to say it Flattop... but you need to move to a different shirt site. I enjoy your work but it is just not working here....This is actually original, which most artist appreciate ! Your creativity is refreshing !!

lyonscc

goldenthorn wrote:Niiiice!

Even so, I guess this method is unacceptable to the rejectionator.

Oh well...

L3g3ndQ

Re: The Last Dragon Hunter

this looks more like a Wurm than a dragon to me. don't dragons usually have feet and wings?

other than that this is an awesome picture!!! B^)

Drakxxx

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Drakxxx

Back again after a few edits. Thanks guys

DETAIL 1:

DETAIL 2:

LARGE FULL VERSION LINK:
http://i50.tinypic.com/t7btdy.png

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
Re: Still Death

Awesome!

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Drakxxx wrote:Back again after a few edits. Thanks guys
*snip images*

Ehehehehehe... is that a tentactle monster I see growing down out of his crotch now? Wow, Drakxxx, when you quipped you had Monster Bulge on DVD somewhere, I didn't think you were actually gonna incorporate that hentai into your art. All's I got to say is "awwwwww, yeah!"

But really: good fix. GMV... OBVIOUSLY.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
Re: Nature Owl

Oooooooh, I really like this!

donhefe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donhefe

Cool to the max

Re: Goblin Warrior

deborah11565

Good job rejectionator !!!!! jeez.... artwork rocks.... I call filters in programs cheating !! I am so glad I get to watch a true artist !

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
deborah11565 wrote:I hate to say it Flattop... but you need to move to a different shirt site. I enjoy your work but it is just not working here....This is actually original, which most artist appreciate ! Your creativity is refreshing !!

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment and the advice. It will be heeded !

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin
Re: Undaunted

Love this! Great texture on the lighthouse and waves.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I don't have the words for how awesome this is. I haven't bought a shirt since Woot switched to Anvil (though I've been tempted a few times) but I'd have to buy this one.

So much wicked creepy. Maybe I'll come back later with all the awesome things this reminds me of.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
deborah11565 wrote:I hate to say it Flattop... but you need to move to a different shirt site. I enjoy your work but it is just not working here....This is actually original, which most artist appreciate ! Your creativity is refreshing !!

Sad but true

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Nature Owl v2

Same design but with the proper dimensions. I haven't sub for awhile and was unaware they change the size when they change the site... my bad!

___

And thanks yellowflower for the comment in the original design's thread

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
dawnao wrote:Sad but true

Yep...Hey, I just got a PM from him, he told me about his shirts on TeeFury.... He doesn't want to post it but oh welll.... credit where deserved !!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Forever Crossed

Simply stunning Boots. Creating it from a moebius strip is a dastardly way to keep people staring at your design.

deboraho

Re: Forever Crossed

Great work !

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
deboraho wrote:Yep...Hey, I just got a PM from him, he told me about his shirts on TeeFury.... He doesn't want to post it but oh welll.... credit where deserved !!

Awesome! Good job! I'll be on the lookout for it.

deboraho

artulo wrote:I'm not defending this particular design, but if the rejectorator actually followed the written rule "use only hatched lines" there wouldn't be many designs left.

Wow... record fog time !!

deboraho

dawnao wrote:Awesome! Good job! I'll be on the lookout for it.

A few are already gone but TeeFury took a few more designs this week !! I can't wait !!

nancyzas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyzas
Re: Industrial Tea

YAY!!! Kevlar!

janewaters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janewaters

Nice shirt! So is this a reference to the Doctor Who weeping angels episode? Or really just a comfy chair?