Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

Do you stay with something until you've got a masterpiece? Do you work for a week and move on? Do you salvage from failures or just abandon everything and try something newer? At what point do you decide it's never going to get any better and give up on an idea?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
Slydon wrote:Do you stay with something until you've got a masterpiece? Do you work for a week and move on? Do you salvage from failures or just abandon everything and try something newer? At what point do you decide it's never going to get any better and give up on an idea?

To me, it depends on the circumstance. If I start something for the derby, for example, and it takes too long to get it done within a reasonable time, then I have to decide whether the design might have some use elsewhere, or in a future derby, or, of course, if it is just awful and can't be saved or wanted. I confess, though, that if I DO think it may have some other use, I will just set it aside, I won't wrap it up.
On the other hand, sometimes, I have an idea that I can't get out of my thoughts. Those ideas I am usually forced to finish. At that point, I usually have to set it aside until I find a place I can use it.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Slydon wrote:Do you stay with something until you've got a masterpiece? Do you work for a week and move on? Do you salvage from failures or just abandon everything and try something newer? At what point do you decide it's never going to get any better and give up on an idea?

I'll abandon a shirt idea if it takes longer than two or three hours to refine it into a solid, easily readable design. The actual artwork can take longer, but the concept and general composition should fall into place pretty quickly.

I find that an idea is probably too convoluted if it's taking all day just to make it even remotely readable on a shirt.

Sometimes really good ideas come from bad ones that were abandoned months ago, but I find that nothing good comes from trying to force a concept that's not working.

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond

When the nightmares start ; ) There's usually a point at which I can tell I'm pushing an idea in neutral up a big hill and it's time to switch to something in drive.