+ Add a Comment

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
lyonscc wrote:For some reason, my original submission was rejected for "using photos", where there was not a single photo or illustration not of my own design used in this shirt.

You can't seriously walk back such an absolute statement with the excuse of "the squeegee is a different design."

A silhouetted version of the above-posted graphic (similar to yours) is on the first page of a google image search for "window washer illustration". The original is just a bit further down on page 4.

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Meeting Of Minds

Def a great collab between two great styles. Love it!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
cmdixon2 wrote:You can't seriously walk back such an absolute statement with the excuse of "the squeegee is a different design."

A silhouetted version of the above-posted graphic (similar to yours) is on the first page of a google image search for "window washer illustration". The original is just a bit further down on page 4.

I'm not sure I used either of those specific ones as my ref - it was a colored one, but the same general outline (with body detail like Odyssey's)

Again - the arms, the squeegee, and the legs are different, and it was drawn (not traced) on top of a hand-drawn scaffold.

In his overlay (which is done at an awful resolution), you can see that the left arm, the cap and the squeegee's are different.

[Edit: Question - obviously, most of the shirt designs here are not drawn purely from the ether with no real-life reference subject, be it a photo, drawing, real-life object or image of some sort.

If you use a reference image, like a photo of a bowl of fruit, and put the pen to paper (or vectors to whiteboard) as a general outline you're working with, is the work you're incorporating that reference into legitimately "yours", artistically?

If you hear a chord progression you like, use it in a song with different lyrics and melody, is it "your" song, artistically?]

CYBERREQUIN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CYBERREQUIN
dragonvt wrote:I'm not sure I get this one, but part of that might be caused by the design on the shirt and the design in the larger image being different. Confused.

I see what your saying. I noticed the light blue part on my shirt position was looking black if thats what your talking about? if so it was a boo boo i just noticed. I threw it together kind of fast to correct my previous submission that didnt show the shirt position, i was running late for a scuba dive, so kind of had to quick and dirty it
Well as far as the idea went it was basically the idea of Mary Poppins or any nanny in particular answering the wrong classified ad. so the idea of MP showing up at the exorcist house had me laughing my butt off at work.

CYBERREQUIN

Gah double posted...
Anywho! if it doesnt make it in does anybody have any suggestions for a good site to go to, to get this made as a few shirts? I have alot of friends that want this shirt lol.

CYBERREQUIN

gingertalls wrote:This shirt is AWESOME!!! I totally voted for it and I hope it wins...I'll order a few. Great idea!!!

Thank you :D

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula
Re: Birthday Clown

Come on! I want this tee!! :P

harantula

harzack wrote:Very nice.

THankU :D

harantula

fuacka wrote:Insane details!
xD

hahha thanks

bradalee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradalee
Re: Shark bite suit inspector

Simply amazing.

michaelbove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelbove
Re: Have You Tried Turning it Off and On Again?

Have you ever used a computer before?!

Michael Bove

hcschmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt
Re: The One Eyewasher

Well I was not originally going to vote for this one, even though it is awesome and I love LofR, but it is not one I would wear. But seeing all the strife your are getting over this I am casting a vote for you, i dont see how they think it is a picture and I dont see anything wrong with using a reference picture as long as you dont trace. There is my two cents and my vote, Good Luck!

lyonscc

hcschmidt wrote:Well I was not originally going to vote for this one, even though it is awesome and I love LofR, but it is not one I would wear. But seeing all the strife your are getting over this I am casting a vote for you, i dont see how they think it is a picture and I dont see anything wrong with using a reference picture as long as you dont trace. There is my two cents and my vote, Good Luck!

Thank you very much!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
oakenspirit wrote:So, I would love some advice.
I have been posting shirt ideas for a few months now with little to slight success. I know the competition is fierce and that many of my ideas/art will lose by default when put next to some of the other designs but I am hoping to improve each week. (I'm truthfully pretty new to photoshop as I am more of an oldschool artist).

So, point being... this shirt, I was decently proud of AND I felt fit the Woot demographic... yet, I have 2 votes... 2. I know its likely too late to update and improve it but is there anything anyone would recommend about my style/format that may help in future derbies?

Hope this is coming across relatively nonentitled sounding...

Here's how I see it. This woot group is nothing more than a clique. You my friend are outside the clique and no one will vote for you. Plus they looooove their rainbows, unicorns, bunnies, kittens, etc. Draw as if your audience is a bunch of snobby little 12 year old girls and that should help your reputation. Until you actually get chosen for print, you will be treated as a nobody. Good luck!

tomspc

I have been posting shirt ideas for a few months now with little to slight success. I know the competition is fierce and that many of my ideas/art will lose by default when put next to some of the other designs but I am hoping to improve each week. (I'm truthfully pretty new to photoshop as I am more of an oldschool artist).

So, point being... this shirt, I was decently proud of AND I felt fit the Woot demographic... yet, I have 2 votes... 2. I know its likely too late to update and improve it but is there anything anyone would recommend about my style/format that may help in future derbies?

I gave you my vote.

tomspc

Re: The Trash Collector

What is this, a dying seal?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
Re: Toadstool Construction

The brick block maker needs his own game! Build the blocks before the plumber can bust them.
Great job, and nice use of space.

ApeLad

tomspc wrote:I don't get it

The next time you play a Zelda game, attack the chickens and see what happens. You'll be glad you did.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
Re: Mortal Kleaners (6 colors)

That is awesome!

sheenachu

tomspc wrote:What is this, a dying seal?

I think its a rotten banana.

ApeLad

Re: The Aftermath

Poor Stan. There's a whole comic series based on this concept called Damage Control.
Great job (though he's going to need a bigger broom).

sheenachu

I'm having the same problem I love this design though! It is clever AND cute which seems to be what is popular here GMV!

ApeLad

Re: Dance, kitty, dance

This is a million times more entertaining than SNL's attempt.

dcastello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcastello

Great Job !!!

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby

As an artist, I would not be happy seeing someone "draw" over my illustration, adding little modifications, and calling it their own. Whether you use live trace on illustrator or "draw" over it, a trace is a trace. Granted, if it were a minor element to the design, I don't think people would be as upset. But the character is what the point of the shirt is. If you would have doubts contacting the original creator and asking for permission, I wouldn't do it at all.

sheenachu

Stupid Question...How can I get my signature to show my photos side by side? It keeps putting one on top of the other and making me feel dumb ><.

nikoby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikoby

Best shirt I have seen on here in a long time. LONG time. Love the colors and the faded look. I haven't purchased a shirt.woot shirt yet, but if this one wins, I am going for it.

CYBERREQUIN

toby8915 wrote:

That Halftoning is AWESOME

sheenachu

Re: So Alone...

The derby is a cruel beast

kazmfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kazmfire
stiminey wrote:Oh My Failing Grades!! LOVE THIS!

Haha! Thank you, very kind of ya!

lyonscc

nikoby wrote:As an artist, I would not be happy seeing someone "draw" over my illustration, adding little modifications, and calling it their own. Whether you use live trace on illustrator or "draw" over it, a trace is a trace. Granted, if it were a minor element to the design, I don't think people would be as upset. But the character is what the point of the shirt is. If you would have doubts contacting the original creator and asking for permission, I wouldn't do it at all.

I can understand that.

In this case, the only thing that is the same is the body posture (arms, legs, props, etc. are differently positioned), which was all I was after, since it would be covered in flames, and no longer anything like the original.

If someone wanted to use an element of one of my designs (or one of my photos, for that matter, since I've got thousands of those) as a reference for their own design, I'd have absolutely no problem (nor a desire for credit) with that. (Kind of like going back to the chord-progression example, since I've been a musician for almost 40 years...)

arinesart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arinesart

Fantastic work!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

tomspc wrote:If Woot had questions about this design they should have contacted the artist before just rejecting it and saying "looks like a photo". Look at all the votes that were lost. Every week I see a lot of questionable designs that I feel certain weren't hand sketched, I don't see those being rejected.

The rejectionator can be a fickle beast.

pantilemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantilemon
Re: My Little Sea-Horsey

Hey Wooters! I think I'm needing some help here. What do you guys think I'm doing wrong on my designs? This is my 6'th derby and I'm not getting any better it would seem, so I think its time for some 'constructive criticism' or hate mail... Whatevs, I'm not picky.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 37 Private Messages BootsBoots
Re: The One Eyewasher

If you can look at an image and make an exact replica freehand, that's an amazing feat. Truly amazing. I don't know anyone that can do that with any consistency, so my hat is off if that's what you've been doing. I don't like to take off my hat. It makes me look sexy.

Anyway... I don't think it really matters if you drew the image just by looking at a reference or not. Whether you're live tracing, sketching over, or drawing something completely freehand, if it ends up looking exactly like your reference image, then you've copied someone else's work. It's not yours to use.

lyonscc wrote:If someone wanted to use an element of one of my designs (or one of my photos, for that matter, since I've got thousands of those) as a reference for their own design, I'd have absolutely no problem (nor a desire for credit) with that.

Yes, well... I have absolutely no problem with people calling me an teacher's pet, but I know most people really don't take kindly to that, so I refrain from calling out every teacher's pet that I see.

sayahelmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sayahelmi
Re: oh no!! not again!!

what is worse than get punch everyday... in your face!!?? hehe. this is my first derby entry, hope you all like it .

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
flattopfrank wrote:Ab-so-lutely... That's what I was striving for...

Can we get to 45 ?? 45 is empty.... lol !

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
Re: Laboratory Assistant

Can we get to 45, 45 is empty ! lol

vdubber

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vdubber
Re: High Turnover Rate

I've always wanted a shirt with a bomba on it!

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin

It's a cute concept and I like some of your details (like the "live long and prosper" hand signal), I just think your execution needs a little refining. The background doesn't read Mars to me, too pinkish maybe, and since I'm not too familier with the Curiosity I thought it was Johnny 5 or Wall-E at first. Something that makes the design seem off to me is that the Curiosity has a hand-drawn, unsymetrical style. Since it's a machine I think it would be better if the lines and angles were more straight and symetrical like a real machine is. That's my two cents, hope you find it helpful. Keep on truckin'!