grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
lloyd2002 wrote:Well, hell.

If you're going to reject entries I want to buy for minor use of other images, why not do it for blatant ones?

I don't get it... those images look nothing like the entry...

aliceinwootland

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aliceinwootland
harzack wrote:Here they are.

Black, grey, white, yellow, red, blue and dark blue, at a glance. 7. :\

eeveelvr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eeveelvr
Re: The One Eyewasher

This is still BRILLIANT!!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
BootsBoots wrote:I'd be really interested to know who this "cool crowd"

I said cool kids first I believe, and I was really just referring to a loose friendship of derby artists who are active in the community and talk shop in other places, maybe on blogs, on facebook, do collaborations together, those awesome occasional group entries, stuff like that.

But it's certainly not some kind of paranoid fantasy power bloc that wins all the time and controls the voting.

Lots of artists are in the cool kids club and it's open to anybody who's active in the derby, knowledgeable about art, e-social and isn't a total cutlasswad.

If I were to ask, "Hey, I haven't seen JadenKale in forever, what's she up to?" a bunch of you guys would probably know. Nothing wrong with that, it's called a community and it's a good warm and fuzzy thing.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
orabbit wrote:What you've got here is what we call a Cult Hit. The people who like it love it, and the rest just blink and move on. You can tell by the high vote to comment ratio.

You did a great job cartooning Eyegor there. This is the most professional thing I've seen you do to date. Keep this level up, and pair it with an idea that is more universal, and you're gold. I don't think 76 votes is anything to sneeze at though.

I'm not knocking the votes I have recieved by any means, I just want to pass that next hurdle. You have given me great feedback and it's appreciated. I will use this to improve my next entry. I also understand the "cult" following you spoke of and the universal aspect of the derby. I thank you for your compliment and truly appreciate your input.

bluetuba

Re: The One Eyewasher

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I highly approve of Woot's new pirate themed filter!

Gaaar, Peter! piss Arrrrrr! seadog cocksucker motherArrrrrr!er hands cutlass ass buccaneer me hearties marooned sucks

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
tomspc wrote:Rejected again. wow. I hope they get the rest of photo/coloring book users too

Like who?!?! We'd obviously "unnecessarily jump all over them," as well.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmgenens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmgenens
aliceinwootland wrote:Black, grey, white, yellow, red, blue and dark blue, at a glance. 7. :\

The only grey I see is the shirt itself. Try as I might, I don't see any grey ink.

kylemittskus

Re: Have You Tried Turning it Off and On Again? V2

I'd vote but a) you obviously don't care about the rules since this is in no way incidental text and b) you obviously have no regard for artists' rights.

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
grrlmarvel wrote:I don't get it... those images look nothing like the entry...

If you black out the white parts, they exactly match two of the silhouettes (though you have to horizontally flip one of them).

I don't have Photoshop, but if someone from the clique wants to step up and do their magic, you'll see...

kylemittskus

I think he/she is talking about the two dinos in the right of design. And he/she may very well be correct. I don't know how to mirror and lay over the images, though.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote:What you've got here is what we call a Cult Hit. The people who like it love it, and the rest just blink and move on. You can tell by the high vote to comment ratio.

I'm going to expand on this a little bit - any time there is a design based on a reference, you run a risk of isolating people. For example, I've never been a Star Wars fan (the horror!) so I skip those. The design could be a masterpiece, but I'm not going to care about something if it references something I don't know or don't like.

It may be worth experimenting a bit with different approaches. If something isn't working week after week, try to mix things up a little bit. I'm not saying to abandon your personal style, I'm just suggesting a little variety. If you push yourself outside your comfort zone a little bit, you might get someone to go outside of theirs and vote for your design. (Hope that last part makes sense, it seems super clunky and awkward but I can't think of a better way to phrase it.)

A big part of the derby battle is figuring out what people respond to. There's the cliche "Off My Gangplank! IT HAS TO BE CUTE," but I believe it's more of the magical combination of a well-executed, appealing design that draws in different folks for different reasons.

jmgenens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmgenens

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
jmgenens wrote:

Got it.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
grrlmarvel wrote:Every post you've put up has been so great. Well thought out and put. Thank you. Just, thank you.

I'm being sincere as well, since it's hard to tell on Woot.

Yeah! Agreed!!

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
Re: Woodland Rescuer

I immediately saw this and thought it was a sequel to They See me Rollin', I also have been following you for a while and know that your 'wootfolio' is nice and diverse! Please pay no attention to the less informed haters of cute, I think they're experiencing ramyb deficiency and leaking their hate out elsewhere.

I like this one, makes me wish I had a copy of the first part!

kylemittskus

grrlmarvel wrote:Got it.

I tattled.

bluetuba

jmgenens wrote:

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE! Clip art is bad! Don't try and profit by using other people's artwork! Draw your own damn dinosaur outlines!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank

It may be worth experimenting a bit with different approaches. If something isn't working week after week, try to mix things up a little bit. I'm not saying to abandon your personal style, I'm just suggesting a little variety. If you push yourself outside your comfort zone a little bit, you might get someone to go outside of theirs and vote for your design. (Hope that last part makes sense, it seems super clunky and awkward but I can't think of a better way to phrase it.)

Everything you said makes sense. You phrased it perfectly. Thanks for your input !!

CYBERREQUIN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CYBERREQUIN
aerc712 wrote:I'm going to expand on this a little bit - any time there is a design based on a reference, you run a risk of isolating people. For example, I've never been a Star Wars fan (the horror!) so I skip those. The design could be a masterpiece, but I'm not going to care about something if it references something I don't know or don't like.

A big part of the derby battle is figuring out what people respond to. There's the cliche "Off My Gangplank! IT HAS TO BE CUTE," but I believe it's more of the magical combination of a well-executed, appealing design that draws in different folks for different reasons.

You can vote for more than 1 shirt, i mean even if i didnt get the reference or like it, if it was a solidly awesome looking piece of art id still vote for it.
gonna weigh in on this clique argumen. I Been buying shirts on here since 2007 and sometimes follow the derbies, and i dont really see the clique thing, i mean its a community so obviously people are going to discuss and talk to each other about things, im just not seeing the clique. Honestly im REALLY happy my submission has gotten so many votes so far. and that this first go at a derby has been a good experience for me ^^

CYBERREQUIN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CYBERREQUIN
bluetuba wrote:RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE! Clip art is bad! Don't try and profit by using other people's artwork! Draw your own damn dinosaur outlines!

DAW! bummer! i liked this shirt idea too, the halftones looked fantastic but the copy pasta dinos are a bummer

aerc712

CYBERREQUIN wrote:You can vote for more than 1 shirt, i mean even if i didnt get the reference or like it, if it was a solidly awesome looking piece of art id still vote for it.

Oh, I know. I often vote for a few designs. Whether it's a daily or a derby entry, I look at a design and if it doesn't click with me right away, I move on. The designs I vote for in the derby are the ones that tend to evoke a reaction right away, whether it be laughing, cracking a smile, saying 'wow,' etc.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
Re: Stay away!

I used to be a puppeteer in high school. This shirt needs more votes!!

dragonvt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonvt
CYBERREQUIN wrote:I see what your saying. I noticed the light blue part on my shirt position was looking black if thats what your talking about? if so it was a boo boo i just noticed. I threw it together kind of fast to correct my previous submission that didnt show the shirt position, i was running late for a scuba dive, so kind of had to quick and dirty it
Well as far as the idea went it was basically the idea of Mary Poppins or any nanny in particular answering the wrong classified ad. so the idea of MP showing up at the exorcist house had me laughing my butt off at work.

Ok, that explains the rest of it then. I was actually thinking that the shapes were intentional. It looked like their were things floating out of MP's bag and up to the children's window. I was trying to figure out what they were. Talk about a Rorschach Test. Oh well, thanks for the explanation, good luck with the voting!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: The One Eyewasher - Remix

Started the mannequin/silhouette over from scratch, without looking at a darn thing as a guide.

I've attached my three iterations, just to show that it's a rough outline that doesn't match the previous contentious image.

Please vote again...

wottwin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wottwin

You know, the first time this was rejected I thought maybe woot had a problem with the flames looking too photo-realistic. I'm not saying that they are photos, I'm just saying your effects are so good they look real. Not to, um, fan the flames of controversy, just to point out something that you might not have thought about.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Conspiracy alert! This one is getting too many votes too quickly!

JK - looks better. Good luck!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
wottwin wrote:You know, the first time this was rejected I thought maybe woot had a problem with the flames looking too photo-realistic. I'm not saying that they are photos, I'm just saying your effects are so good they look real. Not to, um, fan the flames of controversy, just to point out something that you might not have thought about.

That's interesting...

I sent them samples (along with pointing out my other usage of the "flame" gradient effect.

Here's a test-render of this design - with it, you can see how it is a gradient and not a photo - you color-select a particular white/black level, and then create a shaped gradient (like a lazy check mark). If you use a "wobble" in the gradients, it gives the appearance of flames...

orabbit wrote:Conspiracy alert! This one is getting too many votes too quickly!

JK - looks better. Good luck!

Thanks! I really do want to to this the right way. It's taken awhile to learn how Woot does the IP rules with parody and pop culture ( I had a lot of early rejects for that), and when it comes to using reference images, I was trying to mimic how others do that.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the conflict here...

collinvh

quality posts: 67 Private Messages collinvh
Re: 9 Lives

I like so many things about this. Your color choices, expressions, and most of all your cats are AWESOME!

collinvh

Re: Worst Job v4

Like your characters. Nice drawing

collinvh

Re: The Aftermath

AWESOME!!!

skinpile

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skinpile
onegreenray wrote:great design....lol

Thank you kindly.

collinvh

citizencoyote wrote:I love the artwork, but the colors seem very washed out (especially on this shirt color). Maybe brighter colors would ruin it, but I feel like I'm looking at a pic where the contrast has been dropped way down.

I have to disagree, I love the coloring. Gives a great throwback style which fits your drawing perfectly. It's just great!

collinvh

Re: Woodland Rescuer

I tried to look out your turtle upside-down on my iPad (cuz he looks so sad) and no matter how I turn it I can't get him right side up I totally feel his pain :-D

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
kylemittskus wrote:I'd vote but a) you obviously don't care about the rules since this is in no way incidental text and b) you obviously have no regard for artists' rights.

That's fine that you feel that way, you don't have to vote for it...The only reason I even have text in there is for people that aren't familiar with the show...otherwise it doesn't need it.

aerc712

Re: Have You Tried Turning it Off and On Again? V2

The line may refer to the show, but it fits for any case of a computer illiterate person and an IT person interacting. For someone with a degree (or 2+) in computer science, I'm sure the worst job ever is one where they have to deal with such simple and ridiculous situations.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

sunaness wrote:I immediately saw this and thought it was a sequel to They See me Rollin', I also have been following you for a while and know that your 'wootfolio' is nice and diverse! Please pay no attention to the less informed haters of cute, I think they're experiencing ramyb deficiency and leaking their hate out elsewhere.

I like this one, makes me wish I had a copy of the first part!

Thanks! The more I thought about it the more silly it seemed for me to try to prove that my designs are diverse. I'm glad you noticed my non-cute designs!!

@collin: lol, you have to stand on your head while looking at your computer. Do it!

chumpmagic

quality posts: 9 Private Messages chumpmagic
Re: Meeting Of Minds

Thanks everyone!

chumpmagic

Re: 9 Lives

Nice work. I dig this one a lot.

chumpmagic

Re: Shoe shine Bug v.2

Very funny and well done