flattopfrank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flattopfrank
aerc712 wrote:Oh, I know. I often vote for a few designs. Whether it's a daily or a derby entry, I look at a design and if it doesn't click with me right away, I move on. The designs I vote for in the derby are the ones that tend to evoke a reaction right away, whether it be laughing, cracking a smile, saying 'wow,' etc.

Great point and thanks for everyones input, but I do have a question for you on the "daily entries" that you speak of.. I didn't think that we the people could vote on the daily entries, just the derby entries...

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
omarfeliciano wrote:Not original work, sorry.

wow..... I am not an artist but this is pretty damning...Unless the artist who posted in the derby did this.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
sheenachu wrote:Really you could say that all of the Mario(or other popular themes) referenced designs are not original either because those images are also being re-created...its hard to create a "pop-culture" design without someone saying it is unoriginal...its all about the context I guess...IDK, I guess that's why so many people don't want pop culture references anymore.

I do understand your concerns though, I'll know for next time. Derby=Stressful blegh :/

*rubs temples* It's called parody, you should look it up if you don't know what it means.

Mario depicted in the real word with a normal human cleaning up his mess is parody. Mario as a gardener is more iffy but notice you can't see his face and there are no trademarked symbols here, it's just some guy in a red hat and blue overalls that everybody just happens to know is supposed to be Mario.

You may have drawn those 8 bit characters yourself but they are exactly the same as the copyrighted TV show characters with no parody at all. Do you think Disney would let you get away with drawing Mickey Mouse on a shirt and just adding your own tagline? Of course not.

It's a fine line and alot of derby artists have gotten used to just barely staying on the right side of it. You can either learn how to do that or give it up.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Worse Every Year

Politics and/or poop jokes are usually something that will get you rejected, it's kind of an unwritten rule. The rejectionator seems to be slacking lately though, so who knows.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
kylemittskus wrote:The difference between your shirt and the Mario shirts is they aren't directly traced like this image obviously is. It's not surprising you don't understand this since you were defending the exact same thing in the Eye washer thread. You can use a reference. You can't trace. Reference = your own. Tracing = you're a thieving fink.

Ok...well...you have all made your points and I am done with the derby until I feel that I have something really worth while...I can't stand seeing rude comments being made to anyone, constructive criticism is different...I wasn't trying to make people angry or submit something offensive...I was just tossing my concept out there, thanks for the opportunity, I learned a lot, but will stick with my day job and good luck to the rest of you artists!

*For Everyone: In the future, you don't have to be condescending or rude to get your point across...maybe my responses sounded too defensive or angry in some way and if it did I apologize...just something to keep in mind when posting over the internet where you never know who you are talking to and what kind of things they have been through or are going through.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Meeting Of Minds

Verrry cool, one of my favorites this week by a long way.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Death of a Comedian

Way cool, spiritgreen. I really appreciate your multifarious references. So much better than all those Mario Bros sellouts.
Sorry to see it not doing better.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sheenachu wrote:*For Everyone: In the future, you don't have to be condescending or rude to get your point across...maybe my responses sounded too defensive or angry in some way and if it did I apologize...just something to keep in mind when posting over the internet where you never know who you are talking to and what kind of things they have been through or are going through.

You stole someone else's artwork and you're calling us rude for calling you out on it?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

sheenachu

kylemittskus wrote:You stole someone else's artwork and you're calling us rude for calling you out on it?!

Whoa...Chill out dude...I said you made your point I'm done and you still can't let it go?? I'm sure you are just a joy to be around...I tried being nice, I wasn't only talking about me...I have seen so many awful comments on here to multiple people about many different topics. So calm down and lets all just move on please.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
sheenachu wrote:Whoa...Chill out dude...I said you made your point I'm done and you still can't let it go?? I'm sure you are just a joy to be around...I tried being nice, I wasn't only talking about me...I have seen so many awful comments on here to multiple people about many different topics. So calm down and lets all just move on please.

Uh... no. Don't call people rude when they call you, or anyone else out, on their blatant theft. But I'll make sure to be nice to the guy stealing your car. I wouldn't want to be rude or anything.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Death of a Comedian

I just looked into this Comedian business, and realized that this is quite clever. I guess not enough people are familiar with The Watchmen, including me. This definitely has an audience on one of the other daily sites though.

sheenachu

kylemittskus wrote:Uh... no. Don't call people rude when they call you, or anyone else out, on their blatant theft. But I'll make sure to be nice to the guy stealing your car. I wouldn't want to be rude or anything.

Blegh...well I'm done...thanks

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Toadstool Construction

May we all strive to sell out with such style and craftsmanship.

deborah11565

orabbit wrote:May we all strive to sell out with such style and craftsmanship.

Agree... !

deborah11565

What is Deals.WootRep ?

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
flattopfrank wrote:Great point and thanks for everyones input, but I do have a question for you on the "daily entries" that you speak of.. I didn't think that we the people could vote on the daily entries, just the derby entries...

I think I jumbled my words up a bit and wasn't too clear in that last post, sorry. I meant that overall, I look at the designs and if it doesn't spark a strong reaction right away, I move on.

In the case of the dailies, I check what the design is and if I have a strong positive reaction, I'll think about buying it (funds are low, so I have to really love something to buy it these days). Then, in the case of the derby, I go through each design - yes, I do sit and go through each one. The ones that I vote for are ones that, and this is the similar part, evoke a strong positive response. If I don't get the reference or if a design refers to something that I'm not a fan of, I move on, even if the design is well done. That was the point that someone had an issue with - I don't vote for derby entries based on being impressed (my artistic skills are quite limited, if I voted based on that I'd vote for 90% of the entries) but I vote for the ones that I really, really like.

That still seems a bit jumbled. Sorry.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
deborah11565 wrote:What is Deals.WootRep ?

People who post deals on Woot Deals. Look at the top of this page and click on Deals

deborah11565

tomspc wrote:People who post deals on Woot Deals. Look at the top of this page and click on Deals

Community Sourced Deals ?

deborah11565

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=423662757681440&set=a.421361794578203.85649.367933656587684&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Artwork.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flattopfrank
aerc712 wrote:I think I jumbled my words up a bit and wasn't too clear in that last post, sorry.

Not jumbled at all. You explained it perfectly. Thanks..

nekopurrpurr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nekopurrpurr
Re: A Spoonful of Pea Soup - Resub

I freaking love it. Mary would work her magic on Regan. Job becomes a game!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
deborah11565 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=423662757681440&set=a.421361794578203.85649.367933656587684&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Artwork.

Very nice ORIGINAL BY HAND drawing. Some people in here need to give that a try.

For the insecure folks in here, let me repeat "some people" which doesn't mean all of you.

thePenrod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thePenrod
Re: The One Eyewasher - Remix

Wow, you really can't draw. ;)

Naolito

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Naolito
Re: Repetitive Route

Thanks for your comment walmazan! And thanks everyone!

olliefelde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olliefelde

Great concept! Lousy execution.

Try to find an artist on here that can render the concept. It's timely, true and funny. Don't be held back by lack of skills!

O

kazmfire

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kazmfire
olliefelde wrote:Great concept! Lousy execution.

Try to find an artist on here that can render the concept. It's timely, true and funny. Don't be held back by lack of skills!

O

Sorry stupid question, but is there a easy way to see what entry comments are for when looking at the combined version of all the comments?

Thanks!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
ArdillaCiega wrote:What shirt are you referring to?

This lil gem which I wore a few days ago..!

darling375

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darling375
bluetuba wrote:Politics and/or poop jokes are usually something that will get you rejected, it's kind of an unwritten rule. The rejectionator seems to be slacking lately though, so who knows.

Wow, I had no idea politics was forbidden.

Necrotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Necrotech
speedlazer wrote:SO true... Though I always preferred a flying type for this purpose.

Well there are more flying hybrids now. Have you seen Bidoof!?

CYBERREQUIN

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CYBERREQUIN
nekopurrpurr wrote:I freaking love it. Mary would work her magic on Regan. Job becomes a game!

LOL thanks, but the idea was basically MP would completely lose her cool and freak out.
MP: "Awe poor deary you look sick, here's some medicine, a spoonful of sug...
Regan: "Have a spoon full of this!!!" *projectile vomit*

artguyaaron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artguyaaron
Re: You Think Your Job Sucks

thanks for the comments, this was fun

numia123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages numia123
oakenspirit wrote:This lil gem which I wore a few days ago..!

My hubby has this one.. one of his favorites.

blakeallen92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakeallen92
bluetuba wrote:Funny, I like it!

This is a thing of beauty.

fizzicksdude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fizzicksdude
oakenspirit wrote:See, I knew when I wrote that I was going to get flak...

haha

Lightyears just sounds so much cooler!

I do agree that does sound more impressive than light minutes lol...I think that's is why in the news articles they get quoted as "10's of millions of miles away" or something along those lines.

I was teasing all and good fun and I do like the shirt, I just have a hard time feeling sorry for Curiosity when it is the single coolest piece of technology that has ever come along...in this solar system at least.

SirBoss7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SirBoss7

It's already been done. The Dad Reaper telling son Reaper to take out the pet turtle

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond
Re: I Quit!

clever; my top of the fog

lonelypond

lonelypond

lonelypond

Re: Turtles All The Way Down

lively moment captured