Like Poe? Of course you do, you're here ; ) Try my new mystery novel:

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: Crappy Job

just hilhahahahaharious

petemcgee81111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petemcgee81111
Re: Get what now?

I love it! It's abstract and funny, but not too colorful.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Turtles All The Way Down

Thanks for the support everyone! I think I overreached a little with this one, as far as technical skill goes, but I just had to get the image out of my head. Excelsior, to the next derby!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

So great!!! Love this design Collin :D

wirdou

hahahah classic! And when they get it...it will fall again... :D

wirdou

Spiritgreen wrote:Great characters, and I love the technical side of this design; the lighting and the way you drew the groove.

Totally agree with this! Love this design!

wirdou

Just great! Love the perspective!!

wirdou

hahaha the next level should be the intestines of a cow? great!

wirdou

Thank you all for your nice words!:D

wirdou

This should have more votes... Maybe there are not so many Watchmen fans in here and that's the reason. But I'm one fan!! Awesome work. And technically brillant

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
pantilemon wrote:Hey Wooters! I think I'm needing some help here. What do you guys think I'm doing wrong on my designs? This is my 6'th derby and I'm not getting any better it would seem, so I think its time for some 'constructive criticism' or hate mail... Whatevs, I'm not picky.

Without an easy way to look at your previous entries, I can just comment on this one. First, for the design...I like the idea, but the artwork is not fitted to the shirt well. It feels imbalanced, and is big enough that for me, it would cross my bust and look weird. The giant trident really stands out, but it's not the central concept, so you end up looking at that, and then glancing around trying to figure out what the joke is...and then notice the sea horse making a weird face. The sea horse being unhappy doesn't really stand out, much less why--and I'm not sure what could be done to make that more apparent, but dropping the trident would at least make his face more central. Maybe adding other sea horses laughing, or having it blush or something?

The joke needs to be something that people can get right off. Little details that are visible in a serious study are awesome easter eggs, but they won't sell it.

Second...I do recall seeing you comment in much the same way on your previous entries. That's notable--I don't recall the artwork at all. Not really complimentary. Use that first comment to make me want to see your design. Make me laugh. Failing that, saying 'saved' would be better than unflattering pandering. JMO.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

rowanmikaio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rowanmikaio
Re: Turtles All The Way Down

1) This story is completely anecdotal. It's unclear where the phrase originated.

2) I clicked through because the thumbnail looked like the turtles were boinking and I was curious as to how it hadn't been rejectionated. I see I was quite wrong :P

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
thePenrod wrote:Wow, you really can't draw. ;)

Thanks, Christian. :-P

Having seen how the first one came out, and having more experience with the gradient/fire process, I tweaked parts of the figure (like making the squeegee thicker) to better mesh with the flames, but still show the outline I was looking for...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Opti-gûl

Thanks to all who voted! This is my highest rated yet!

(I'm slowly getting there... hehe)

oakenspirit

fizzicksdude wrote:I do agree that does sound more impressive than light minutes lol...I think that's is why in the news articles they get quoted as "10's of millions of miles away" or something along those lines.

I was teasing all and good fun and I do like the shirt, I just have a hard time feeling sorry for Curiosity when it is the single coolest piece of technology that has ever come along...in this solar system at least.

Is it amazing... I have been doing curiosity art for months now... hehe... even wrote a picture book for my lil daughter...

and no worries... I assumed you were teasing... I typically read EVERYTHING on the internet with sarcasm and joking filters on so I don't go home crying... ;)

Mavyn

Re: Worse Every Year

I suspect this isn't getting rejected because it isn't coming down in support of one candidate or party, but rather mocking them both.

silversickness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silversickness

I wish they would have added no Mario and no Zelda.Pop culture sells, but I won't be voting for or buying it.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Dead end job

Thanks very much mrwednesday, jenphilpot and lonelypond. Really appreciate your comments!

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Re: Shoe shine Bug v.2

Great style and nicely done!

pantilemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantilemon
kirkwren wrote:I love it....im gonna vote for it!!!

You have no idea how much better your comment made me feel kirkwren. Thank you so much!

pantilemon

Mavyn wrote:Without an easy way to look at your previous entries, I can just comment on this one. First, for the design...I like the idea, but the artwork is not fitted to the shirt well. It feels imbalanced, and is big enough that for me, it would cross my bust and look weird. The giant trident really stands out, but it's not the central concept, so you end up looking at that, and then glancing around trying to figure out what the joke is...and then notice the sea horse making a weird face. The sea horse being unhappy doesn't really stand out, much less why--and I'm not sure what could be done to make that more apparent, but dropping the trident would at least make his face more central. Maybe adding other sea horses laughing, or having it blush or something?

The joke needs to be something that people can get right off. Little details that are visible in a serious study are awesome easter eggs, but they won't sell it.

Second...I do recall seeing you comment in much the same way on your previous entries. That's notable--I don't recall the artwork at all. Not really complimentary. Use that first comment to make me want to see your design. Make me laugh. Failing that, saying 'saved' would be better than unflattering pandering. JMO.

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some advice, Mavyn!

I completely agree with your thoughts on the design. The more I looked at it after it had been posted the less happy I was with the placement and size. It would have been better, I think, smaller and maybe with the trident completely removed. It was funny on paper, but I think it's distracting on the shirt.

As for how to convey the joke better? No idea on that one. I think it's probably one of those things that was funnier in concept than in reality...

But when it comes to your second point about pandering comments, I really don't know where it is coming from. This honest to goodness is the first time I've come out and asked for advice, and that was truly out of a desire to improve my designs. And as far as asking for votes, this is also the first time I've written "VOTE" in my comments. I remember because I felt weird doing it, but thought it looked like something a lot of the other artist's did. So, I think you might have me confused with someone else... Which probably isn't that great either as far as becoming memorable...

Thanks again for your comment! I'm going to keep working at it and I hope to hear from you to see how I'm doing.

tia1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tia1982
sheenachu wrote:Ok...well...you have all made your points and I am done with the derby until I feel that I have something really worth while...I can't stand seeing rude comments being made to anyone, constructive criticism is different...I wasn't trying to make people angry or submit something offensive...I was just tossing my concept out there, thanks for the opportunity, I learned a lot, but will stick with my day job and good luck to the rest of you artists!

*For Everyone: In the future, you don't have to be condescending or rude to get your point across...maybe my responses sounded too defensive or angry in some way and if it did I apologize...just something to keep in mind when posting over the internet where you never know who you are talking to and what kind of things they have been through or are going through.

I'm going to have to agree that what you did was not right, but I also think that the way others can let you know that, and explain why it wasn't doesn't have to be so harsh. The Derby is not for professionals, therefore people will make mistakes. I wish people with the same talents would learn that teaching and criticizing are two way different things and that teaching will get you a lot farther in life that the other. Don't quit, just do better next time.

tia1982

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tia1982
oakenspirit wrote:So, I would love some advice.
I have been posting shirt ideas for a few months now with little to slight success. I know the competition is fierce and that many of my ideas/art will lose by default when put next to some of the other designs but I am hoping to improve each week. (I'm truthfully pretty new to photoshop as I am more of an oldschool artist).

So, point being... this shirt, I was decently proud of AND I felt fit the Woot demographic... yet, I have 2 votes... 2. I know its likely too late to update and improve it but is there anything anyone would recommend about my style/format that may help in future derbies?

Hope this is coming across relatively nonentitled sounding...

This shirt made me feel sad. It works but I don't want my shirt to make me feel alone and unwanted.

Mavyn

pantilemon wrote:
But when it comes to your second point about pandering comments, I really don't know where it is coming from. This honest to goodness is the first time I've come out and asked for advice, and that was truly out of a desire to improve my designs. And as far as asking for votes, this is also the first time I've written "VOTE" in my comments. I remember because I felt weird doing it, but thought it looked like something a lot of the other artist's did. So, I think you might have me confused with someone else... Which probably isn't that great either as far as becoming memorable...

Thanks again for your comment! I'm going to keep working at it and I hope to hear from you to see how I'm doing.

If it wasn't you, my apologies. And no, asking for advice and help are not pandering. They're good things! It's the first post that irks me. I'd go for making a joke instead. Something like 'Silver missed The Lone Ranger every day since being reincarnated as Aquaman's sea horse steed.'

Ok, that's wordy and weird. So not that. But something like that.

Hanging out and participating in the Pre-Derby thread is an option as well. Other artists and the community can offer great advice.

oakenspirit

tia1982 wrote:This shirt made me feel sad. It works but I don't want my shirt to make me feel alone and unwanted.

I actually agree with this...

I made him happy in another version of this shirt but wanted to make it fit the theme better... maybe I'll tweak it and submit it again later in the happy, cleaner, BETTER done version. hehe

pantilemon

Mavyn wrote:If it wasn't you, my apologies. And no, asking for advice and help are not pandering. They're good things! It's the first post that irks me. I'd go for making a joke instead. Something like 'Silver missed The Lone Ranger every day since being reincarnated as Aquaman's sea horse steed.'

Ok, that's wordy and weird. So not that. But something like that.

Hanging out and participating in the Pre-Derby thread is an option as well. Other artists and the community can offer great advice.

Hahaha!

How about, "Join the Justice League, they said. It will be awesome, they said." And then have the thumbnail as just a close up of the sea-horse's face?

I'm going to see about the Pre-Derby thread this time. I'm excited to see how it goes!

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
tia1982 wrote:I'm going to have to agree that what you did was not right, but I also think that the way others can let you know that, and explain why it wasn't doesn't have to be so harsh. The Derby is not for professionals, therefore people will make mistakes. I wish people with the same talents would learn that teaching and criticizing are two way different things and that teaching will get you a lot farther in life that the other. Don't quit, just do better next time.

Thanks Tia1982, I appreciate it...I learned a lot for the next time I want to submit something. I am an artist too and my intention wasn't to copy, I just thought the idea was funny or cute, but I see now that I should have illustrated it to be more different from the way it looks on the show.

Mavyn

pantilemon wrote:Hahaha!

How about, "Join the Justice League, they said. It will be awesome, they said." And then have the thumbnail as just a close up of the sea-horse's face?

I'm going to see about the Pre-Derby thread this time. I'm excited to see how it goes!

Yes, that would be good.

The thumbnail is a tricky one. I know that it matters, but I really can't offer much advice. I make an honest effort to look at every single entry in full, but most don't so the thumbnail has to sell it.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
sheenachu wrote:Thanks Tia1982, I appreciate it...I learned a lot for the next time I want to submit something. I am an artist too and my intention wasn't to copy, I just thought the idea was funny or cute, but I see now that I should have illustrated it to be more different from the way it looks on the show.

Lots of learning goes on here, especially when someone is submitting to the derby. When things get tough (like the past few days) try and focus on the positives. Go and play around with different design ideas, remind yourself why you enjoy this. There will be good weeks too, don't forget that. Don't let this experience keep you from doing something you enjoy. It may take some time before you print, I think that happens in many cases, but don't give up. Take what happened, learn from it, and apply it to future derbies. Good luck!

pantilemon

Mavyn wrote:Yes, that would be good.

The thumbnail is a tricky one. I know that it matters, but I really can't offer much advice. I make an honest effort to look at every single entry in full, but most don't so the thumbnail has to sell it.

Thanks, Mavyn! I really appreciate all your help.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
aerc712 wrote:Lots of learning goes on here, especially when someone is submitting to the derby. When things get tough (like the past few days) try and focus on the positives. Go and play around with different design ideas, remind yourself why you enjoy this. There will be good weeks too, don't forget that. Don't let this experience keep you from doing something you enjoy. It may take some time before you print, I think that happens in many cases, but don't give up. Take what happened, learn from it, and apply it to future derbies. Good luck!

Thanks so much Aerc712 That means a lot to me!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Its Cubicle Time!

So glad I never had a job like this!

nekochanms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nekochanms
Re: Monster Hunting

Off My Gangplank! aaah real monsters Ickis ^_^ nice

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
nekochanms wrote:Off My Gangplank! aaah real monsters Ickis ^_^ nice

Thank you. I love how he came out and hope to use him again... maybe for Halloween?

thecircuitbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecircuitbox
sheenachu wrote:Ok...well...you have all made your points and I am done with the derby until I feel that I have something really worth while...I can't stand seeing rude comments being made to anyone, constructive criticism is different...I wasn't trying to make people angry or submit something offensive...I was just tossing my concept out there, thanks for the opportunity, I learned a lot, but will stick with my day job and good luck to the rest of you artists!

*For Everyone: In the future, you don't have to be condescending or rude to get your point across...maybe my responses sounded too defensive or angry in some way and if it did I apologize...just something to keep in mind when posting over the internet where you never know who you are talking to and what kind of things they have been through or are going through.

That is what comments are for. Go to kindergarden if you want all the sunhsine and fluffy clouds.

degaussv2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages degaussv2
ochopika wrote:No! There is no penguin in this one, silly. Don't look at me like that!
This is sort of a sequel to "They See Me Rollin'".

"They See Me Rollin'" was I think the first shirt I ever bought on here, and I have been a lurker for a while. I am glad to see a sequel and I thought it was so from first glance at the icon. Keep up the fun work. I like your stuff.

darimini

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darimini

Oh, for Pete's sake. There IS no reason to be so rude. I will never understand why people think referencing an image is the same as stealing a car. I kinda doubt Graham Linehan or his designers would be frothing at the mouth over a shirt on woot, so why are you? It's called misdirected anger. Look it up.

Love the shirt. And there's always redbubble. People tend to be less psycho over there. I've seen a lot of shirts here (which lose derbies) that I'd love to buy over there. Does woot get the rights to the image forever even if it never gets made?