+ Add a Comment

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: $1 billion in Nickels

Only incidental text this week.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Mavyn

Re: Toilet Trouble V1

Not incidental text, no potty humor.

bu-bye.

gizmocbk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gizmocbk
dragonvt wrote:I'm not sure I get this one, but part of that might be caused by the design on the shirt and the design in the larger image being different. Confused.

"A Spoonful of..." references the song, A Spoonful of Sugar, from Mary Poppins (as silhouetted).

"...Pea Soup" is a reference to The Exorcist (represented by the house - see the movie poster below).

jenphilpot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenphilpot
Re: Cold hands

I would TOTALLY buy this since my hubby works for the USPS and there aren't too many good PO tees out there. Well, that don't allude to snail mail.

jenphilpot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenphilpot
Re: Dead end job

I really like the color combination, I'm a big fan of green and it's nice to see it used on something other than a nature / eco / slime-related theme

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

So much WIN in this one. Love it!

omarfeliciano

Re: Mortal Kleaners

Ha! good one.

omarfeliciano

Re: Dangerous Gardening

Touché vegans! lol.

Good job Pablo

omarfeliciano

Re: A Spoonful of Pea Soup - Resub

This would make a great poster!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 76 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: So Alone...

So, I would love some advice.
I have been posting shirt ideas for a few months now with little to slight success. I know the competition is fierce and that many of my ideas/art will lose by default when put next to some of the other designs but I am hoping to improve each week. (I'm truthfully pretty new to photoshop as I am more of an oldschool artist).

So, point being... this shirt, I was decently proud of AND I felt fit the Woot demographic... yet, I have 2 votes... 2. I know its likely too late to update and improve it but is there anything anyone would recommend about my style/format that may help in future derbies?

Hope this is coming across relatively nonentitled sounding...

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
Re: Dino Cowboy

Completely off-topic.
Best. Job. Ever.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

I would watch this movie.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
Re: Stay away!

HA ha ha! This is rather wonderful! Great great idea.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

I'm a huge Exorcist fan and I agree being an exorcist would be a horrible job BUT I'm not getting the Mary Poppins/Exorcist mash-up? Sorry. Great artwork though.

MrsBones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones

I would buy this for a friend… if it was on navy or something. He's just not a "baby blue" kind of guy :/

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

pantilemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pantilemon
tomspc wrote:How is this the worst job??

Haha. It's suppose to be the seahorse's worst job. Aquaman's steed.

Mavyn

merlindylan wrote:I'm worried this submission might be taken the wrong way. I don't find the subject funny- in fact it saddens me that in many parts of the world slavery is still a reality. I think the image is eye catching and brings attention to something most people try to ignore. Maybe this image is too edgy for wooters but it's what I thought of as the worst job ever.

I'm not sure what the right way would be for this. Honestly. Particularly since you reference American slavery, which has been abolished for a long time.

gingertalls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingertalls

This shirt is AWESOME!!! I totally voted for it and I hope it wins...I'll order a few. Great idea!!!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: The One Eyewasher

This is a complete load of crap.

There is not a single photo used in this design - not even as a model.

lyonscc

Hey everyone - please vote again. For some reason, my original submission was rejected for "using photos", where there was not a single photo or illustration not of my own design used in this shirt.

This is really frustrating, since nobody had even suggested it (otherwise, I'd have given my work files to prove it).

tomspc

lyonscc wrote:Hey everyone - please vote again. For some reason, my original submission was rejected for "using photos", where there was not a single photo or illustration not of my own design used in this shirt.

This is really frustrating, since nobody had even suggested it (otherwise, I'd have given my work files to prove it).

I bet you were rejected because you neglected to put a unicorn or rainbow in your drawing. Follow the rules please! lol

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Well, if you do have evidence that this isn't a photo you might want to present it lest this just get rejected again.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

You definitely got a raw deal. It doesn't look to me like any photos were used. Revoted.

deesbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
tomspc wrote:I bet you were rejected because you neglected to put a unicorn or rainbow in your drawing. Follow the rules please! lol

LOL. That's funny

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

bluetuba wrote:Well, if you do have evidence that this isn't a photo you might want to present it lest this just get rejected again.

I agree you should do this. It looks like you drew the window washer by hand. You should prove it with a sketch or something.

Maybe the rejectionator is thinking about the fire, is that all hand-drawn? Sometimes things get rejected if they use a brush that is made from photos... not saying that's what you did, but maybe that's what it looks like.

tomspc

ochopika wrote:I agree you should do this. It looks like you drew the window washer by hand. You should prove it with a sketch or something.

Maybe the rejectionator is thinking about the fire, is that all hand-drawn? Sometimes things get rejected if they use a brush that is made from photos... not saying that's what you did, but maybe that's what it looks like.

If Woot had questions about this design they should have contacted the artist before just rejecting it and saying "looks like a photo". Look at all the votes that were lost. Every week I see a lot of questionable designs that I feel certain weren't hand sketched, I don't see those being rejected.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I don't know about photos, but the window washer appears to be a trace of this.

lyonscc

tomspc wrote:I bet you were rejected because you neglected to put a unicorn or rainbow in your drawing. Follow the rules please! lol

Brilliant! I should have thought of that.

A burning unicorn, falling through a rainbow coming out of the eye (just to stay in the theme of the design).

bluetuba wrote:Well, if you do have evidence that this isn't a photo you might want to present it lest this just get rejected again.

I have - I emailed it to them (jpgs of my illustrator scratch files, before applying the gradients).

Also, I figured that using the same gradient process on the title of the design (and to animate my "Vote" banner), would make it obvious I didn't use a photo.

I guess I was wrong on that score.

tjschaeffer wrote:You definitely got a raw deal. It doesn't look to me like any photos were used. Revoted.

Thanks! Just frustrated that I wasn't even asked, since nobody produced any "photos" it was supposedly made from. I purposely did not use the same design as the movie (the LotR eye is round, and uses a different color progression and iris style/pattern), just to avoid such accusations.

ochopika wrote:Maybe the rejectionator is thinking about the fire, is that all hand-drawn? Sometimes things get rejected if they use a brush that is made from photos... not saying that's what you did, but maybe that's what it looks like.

That's what I figured (that they're thinking about the fire).

The fire is all made from gradient patterns.

Thanks again, y'all

lyonscc

odysseyroc wrote:I don't know about photos, but the window washer appears to be a trace of this.

Odyssey - I provided my base files. The window washer is in the same position as that guy (body position), but has a different squeegee and gear. Most of that gets blurred out by the fire, though.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
ochopika wrote:I agree you should do this. It looks like you drew the window washer by hand. You should prove it with a sketch or something.

I've seen, that if a halftone LOOKS like a photo, then it's beyond their ability to print. This could be the case here, just worded differently.

lyonscc

benjaminleebates wrote:I've seen, that if a halftone LOOKS like a photo, then it's beyond their ability to print. This could be the case here, just worded differently.

Hmmmmm.

The halftone conversion I used for the Shirt Comp is at their specifications for Photoshop halftones, and the AI file I gave them has all gradients (which they convert to halftones).

It's really not that complex of a design on the back end (1 object of each of the five colors, and 1 gradient layer for each color, with % gradients between 10 and 90). They have still not replied, but hopefully they will.

dragonvt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragonvt
gizmocbk wrote:"A Spoonful of..." references the song, A Spoonful of Sugar, from Mary Poppins (as silhouetted).

"...Pea Soup" is a reference to The Exorcist (represented by the house - see the movie poster below).

Yes! That's the reference I was missing. I don't know that I've ever seen that poster for The Exorcist, thanks for the clarification.

However, the image on the shirt template, and the larger image for detail are still different. Anyone know why? Or which of the two would print?

stiminey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stiminey
Re: Princess Duty

Oh My Failing Grades!! LOVE THIS!

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
lyonscc wrote:Odyssey - I provided my base files. The window washer is in the same position as that guy (body position), but has a different squeegee and gear. Most of that gets blurred out by the fire, though.

Here it is overlayed. Everything fits pefectly.

harzack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harzack
Re: Mortal Kleaners (6 colors)

Please vote this design again. He was rejected for having too many colors and that's not true because it has 6 colors.

thanks

lyonscc

odysseyroc wrote:Here it is overlayed. Everything fits pefectly.

Odyssey - I did look at that image as a reference (not as a trace) when I was making the "washer-guy", but his left arm is different (nothing being held in it, and it's in a different position), the right arm is different, and the squeegee is a different design and about 25% longer, the shading is different, and I didn't try to make pant legs or anything for him.

It's hard to tell some of the details, because most of the body is obscured in the flames, but I've never heard of anything being an issue with using a reference image, so long as you're not tracing or totally duplicating it.

lyonscc

harzack wrote:Please vote this design again. He was rejected for having too many colors and that's not true because it has 6 colors.

thanks

Harzack, I think it was because you didn't have the gradient detail in your shirt comp image.

I made that mistake several times early on.

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
lyonscc wrote:Odyssey - I did look at that image as a reference (not as a trace) when I was making the "washer-guy", but his left arm is different (nothing being held in it, and it's in a different position), the right arm is different, and the squeegee is a different design and about 25% longer, the shading is different, and I didn't try to make pant legs or anything for him.

It's hard to tell some of the details, because most of the body is obscured in the flames, but I've never heard of anything being an issue with using a reference image, so long as you're not tracing or totally duplicating it.

Okay Vanilla, I guess your right, Ice Ice Baby is NOTHING like Under Pressure from Queen... lol

oakenspirit

quality posts: 76 Private Messages oakenspirit
tomspc wrote:...BUT I'm not getting the Mary Poppins/Exorcist mash-up? Sorry.

We'll, as a teacher, I can vouch that MANY of my students are possessed... I am assuming Nannies go through the same thing... ;)

lyonscc

growgreen wrote:Okay Vanilla, I guess your right, Ice Ice Baby is NOTHING like Under Pressure from Queen... lol

Well, I did agree with Queen in that particular case, though I'm not quite sure there's a parallel here.

In this particular case, we're talking about the outline of a human body in a reaching position. I could have just pulled up DAZ Poser, or taken a picture of a family member in the same position as a reference.

This is more along the lines of the "4 Chord Song".