mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Kind of disappointed coming out of last week. I thought there was a bunch of really good stuff and none of it really made it. I'd be curious when woot wants a decision from the guest editor. That I think would be the best way to see how detrimental it is to sub late. When this all started I followed a discussion between Josephus and Bass in which Bass seemed to say that basically the later you submit the less chance you have to print because woot wants to be preping things by the beginning of the week. Sort of makes me wonder if that's why we missed out on what I thought was the superior qetza design this past derby. Anyway, my pick for this week is:

Dead end job by jasneko

I've got to say there wasn't a lot to choose from this time around. We're back to scads of crappy pop culture references. This one stood out to be this past weekend and I haven't seen anything else that really swayed me.

The colors are really good and the design is really clean and simple. I was never one to walk around with a boom box, but I at least remember when people might have done such a thing and the shirt really gets the point across in a super clear and effective way. I often tend to go for the bigger, complex designs, but sometimes simplicity is best too.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

My pick is a recent entry - Paranormal Investigator.

As I said in the entry's thread, I really like that the design tells a story. Like the artist, I'd be terrified to have that job, so for me it falls in the worst job ever category. I think the details - from the wallpaper peeling effect (as said by someone else in the derby thread), the expressions, the light on the ghost - are what make this is good design.

I like that this design fits the theme, but translates well without the context. Some of the other entries, I feel like it would be difficult to appreciate/get them without the knowledge that the design is about the worst job ever.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Not a lot out there that I'd actually purchase this time around. I think Mr. W has a good selection, but I'd actually choose the other Jasneko. Truth be told both designs really are straight and to the point, are easily accessible, and the "joke" is right there without having to think much about it. I just preferred this one. Very wearable.

Daily Grind by Jasneko

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I think I'd go with

oh no!! not again!! by sayahelmi

This is sayahelmi's first derby entry and I like it. It's funny and a little dark. I like the geometric shape and color of the design and the details in the punching bag's face.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
artulo wrote:I'd actually choose the other Jasneko.

Daily Grind by Jasneko

Me too, I love the forced jollity of it. Great shirt!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
artulo wrote:Not a lot out there that I'd actually purchase this time around. I think Mr. W has a good selection, but I'd actually choose the other Jasneko. Truth be told both designs really are straight and to the point, are easily accessible, and the "joke" is right there without having to think much about it. I just preferred this one. Very wearable.

Daily Grind by Jasneko

Another one in the Jasneko bandwagon. Her clean, well laid out style and great colors are very wearable. I considered the boom box too because I prefer olive to lemon (how I wish it were butter instead!) but went with the bear because of his expression.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
artulo wrote:Not a lot out there that I'd actually purchase this time around. I think Mr. W has a good selection, but I'd actually choose the other Jasneko. Truth be told both designs really are straight and to the point, are easily accessible, and the "joke" is right there without having to think much about it. I just preferred this one. Very wearable.

I agree. I went back and forth on these two a bit, so I kind of went with my gut. I'd be perfectly happy with either, though, and it would be a real shame if neither printed. I think jasneko really killed it this derby.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

my pick I understand the ones questioning on themeness of it, but as I am not a highly social person networking sucks.

Ok so the real reason is "oooo truffle's monsters'

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I like harzacks's "Mortal Cleaners," but I have to agree that Jasneko's bear really nails it. Very simple, clean, and wearable (and the joke is pretty universal). It's sad it's not even fogged.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Zounds! Thanks for all the love in here - really brightened up my day (which definitely needed a bit of cheer)! I don't frequent the forums much lately, glad I did today. <3

Vote!

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Late as usual with my post. Again, I am not surprised by the excellent choices made by the posters above. Similar to artulo's pick of a not so popular blank color, I'm picking:

The Aftermath by paxdomino

paxdomino does a great job using 5 colors on the baby blue blank. A lot of detail went into this, but it all blends in very nicely on the shirt.

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?