WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Science is awesome. Fact. But for some reason, not everyone agrees that it's freaking amazing. So this week we're asking you to lend a helping hand to spreading the word that science rules, in the style of classic propaganda posters. For inspiration, Google Soviet, North Korean, American, or German Propaganda Posters (or pretty much any country involved in WWII). We want to see bold colors, lines, and calls to action!

• No text only designs. You must have a graphical element.
  • No pop culture riffs. So toss out that "Bill Nye as Uncle Sam" idea right now.
  • Keep it classy. Yes, some of those old timey posters might be seen as horribly insensitive today. Yours shouldn't.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

So Keep Calm and Carry On spoofs are allowed? Do we really need more of those?

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

I'm really digging this one!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
orabbit wrote:So Keep Calm and Carry On spoofs are allowed? Do we really need more of those?

Probably not since those are very much part of popular culture.

Are riffs on classic propaganda posters like "loose lips sink ships" allowed? I would think not since they technically count as pop culture.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote:So Keep Calm and Carry On spoofs are allowed? Do we really need more of those?

I'm guessing that would fall under the "no pop culture riffs" rule.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain

Love the propaganda poster theme... wish it wasn't limited to just science though. Even without pop culture I would make alot of entries for this as propagande in general.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
omarfeliciano wrote:I'm really digging this one!

So, you're going to do an anthropological design then? ;)

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

Political Science.

Yay!

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86

YES! This is the first derby I'm really excited about in months.
For science!!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

You know, this would be one derby where anthropomorphic critters wouldn't be frowned on. Between things like animal cloning and the Russian Domestic foxes experiment, the chance of a sentient or semi-sentient animal biped being created in the next 200 years is something I wouldn't doubt.

That, or advancements in the field of body manipulation (wings/tail) because of people's short attention span towards the current options available (tattoos and piercings)

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
TobiasAmaranth wrote:You know, this would be one derby where anthropomorphic critters wouldn't be frowned on. Between things like animal cloning and the Russian Domestic foxes experiment, the chance of a sentient or semi-sentient animal biped being created in the next 200 years is something I wouldn't doubt.

That, or advancements in the field of body manipulation (wings/tail) because of people's short attention span towards the current options available (tattoos and piercings)

No worries, they'll still call you a furry lover, a largely ignore your efforts... Regardless of the logic, lol.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

YOU FURRIES PIPE DOWN! YOU CAN'T HAVE FOXES IN EVERY DERBY!

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
mightyrain wrote:Love the propaganda poster theme... wish it wasn't limited to just science though. Even without pop culture I would make alot of entries for this as propagande in general.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This derby would be tons more fun without the science. I just came up with a killer idea but it has nothing to do with science. :C

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

I'm so excited for this one after missing the last two! The wheels are turning...

poeju

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poeju

Darn... keep it classy... I was thinking something about inertia and welfare lines. "Objects at rest, tend to stay at rest."

I don't agree with the sentiments, but it made me laugh.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu

Thanks for the feedback last derby everyone...I really did listen and I think I have something much better for this one (AND 100% original) ...Any thoughts?

There is text in the background of the yellow section which is the law in Latin...too much text? Should I take it out?

Thanks!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

There was alot of scientific progress in that era so creating some SCIENCE!!!! propaganda in that style should be fertile ground.

No pop culture is allowed remember, but thinking of stuff like old Fallout(the game) posters or the 50's Aperture Science propaganda might help.

I would naturally love to see some giant robots so hopefully Rglee has been notified of this derby!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flattopfrank

I was thinking about a "robot Rosie the Riveter" kinda thing. Anybody have any input for me ?? Yay, Nay... I need some feedback so I can get started, please.....

aerc712

sheenachu wrote:
There is text in the background of the yellow section which is the law in Latin...too much text? Should I take it out?

I would say to take out the background text. It's tough to read and isn't really necessary.

I like what you have so far, but I'm curious about what you could do if you went a bit more dramatic with it. That's one element of propaganda posters that always stuck out to me - the AHHH THE WORLD IS GOING TO END dramatic effect going on. I think a good place to start would be to play around with the text a bit. Font style, size, color can make a big difference on these posters. Google a few and you can see how the text was really woven into the alarming message of the overall design.

aerc712

flattopfrank wrote:I was thinking about a "robot Rosie the Riveter" kinda thing. Anybody have any input for me ?? Yay, Nay... I need some feedback so I can get started, please.....

That might get a bit too close to the "no pop culture riffs" rule. Rosie is an iconic and still very often used image/design.

Perhaps playing on something with robot workers?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

My kid loves the science. We've been researching all kinds of projects for the school science fair, and it isn't even until March.

Science Fair poster, anyone?

Photosynthesis and aerodynamics could be interesting.

But I'd like to see a really good ANTI Calculus design, personally.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

Any thoughts on this one...

Tried to make a more professional looking piece after my last efforts...

orabbit

oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on this one...

Tried to make a more professional looking piece after my last efforts...

Looks cool as a poster, but I don't love the hard rectangular edges. Can you think of a way to soften it? Also, I'm not 100% sure I get the joke. Marry a robot? Or upgrade your tech?

Overall though, looks really good! Maybe spend some more time on the type.

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:Looks cool as a poster, but I don't love the hard rectangular edges. Can you think of a way to soften it? Also, I'm not 100% sure I get the joke. Marry a robot? Or upgrade your tech?

Overall though, looks really good! Maybe spend some more time on the type.

K... been messing around.. Want to get this right.

First I clipped the edges a bit to make it LESS rectangle of doom...

Then I tried a version where I subdued the background a bit to further Deemphasize the block and bring out the text...

Then I said BAH and took out the whole flaty background...

Any preferences / concerns?

Thanks man... I have become a fan of yours over the past month... sorry to take advantage of your answering my initial question... anyone else feel free to pipe in as well..

;)

flattopfrank

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flattopfrank
aerc712 wrote:That might get a bit too close to the "no pop culture riffs" rule. Rosie is an iconic and still very often used image/design.

Perhaps playing on something with robot workers?

Thanks for your input.. I'm still working out the details. I'm working on a idea similar to my "Rosie" thoughts, just a bit different and it's gonna be DOPE !! yeah, I said dope... granted my opinion is a bit biased.

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Work in progress!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
oakenspirit wrote: anyone else feel free to pipe in as well..
;)

The third one without the border definitely looks best. Your style is also really nice. The only problem with it is that it looks like there's a joke in there, but it's not clear what it is.

oakenspirit

ochopika wrote:The third one without the border definitely looks best. Your style is also really nice. The only problem with it is that it looks like there's a joke in there, but it's not clear what it is.

Yeah.. been trying to think on that since rabbit mentioned it too...

I wanted it to allude to the thought of robots replacing us in more ways than just working... thinking on the old posters, I kept getting Old house wife/ male provider images in my head and thought of having an android servant replace them... Would a programmable robot be enough to fill the old stereotypical spouse role? That sort of thing...

Kind of a Build your own e-harmony thing... ;)

I'll keep messing with it...

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

This derby should be awesome! You know what Woot should do, offer a printed poster package of several of these entries, shoot, you guys should just offer poster prints of all the fog entries or something. This sort of derby need poster prints!

orabbit

I'm sure everyone's hard at work out there in Wootland, but if you've got a sec, could you help me with a slogan?

Here's what I've got so far. I'm thinking maybe "Together we are stronger" or "Together we swim, Divided we sink". Any other thoughts? Thanks, and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

aerc712

orabbit wrote:

Here's what I've got so far. I'm thinking maybe "Together we are stronger" or "Together we swim, Divided we sink". Any other thoughts? Thanks, and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with!

Purely because of the absurd mental image, I'm gonna vote for "Together we swim, Divided we Sink."

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:I'm sure everyone's hard at work out there in Wootland, but if you've got a sec, could you help me with a slogan?

Science says... Why not... ;)

Very solid man... lol

Unite or be Floundered...

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
orabbit wrote:I'm sure everyone's hard at work out there in Wootland, but if you've got a sec, could you help me with a slogan?

I know you're looking for a new second part, but I actually am still laughing at the "build a better tomorrow." It's like a science experiment gone horribly wrong, yet I supposed to buy into the fact that somehow the future will be a better place once we have perfected the Tunamato hybrid.

*Edit* Maybe "Together, we can build a better Tomato!"

loulousq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages loulousq

here's my sketch of my first idea.
volunteer poster to be a mouse subject experimented on to become a great soldier. will work on it some more in the morning. what do you folks think?

Volunteer Today! Be the Better Mouse!

p0ckets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p0ckets

Here's what I'm thinking of submitting:

Any thoughts?

werdwerdus

quality posts: 13 Private Messages werdwerdus

I am worrying that many of these designs will not really "work" as a t-shirt but better as a poster.

This design will TOTALLY work as a t-shirt! GMV

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Fins on the side of the mater would be awesome. Without that, to me, it's sunk either way...and maybe keep the color consistent? Or have the green of the fish be the green color of an unripe tomato, grading into the red?

I wish the Just Keep Swimming wouldn't get it rejected.

noxandpy wrote:

Work in progress!

I think it would work better without the word DNA. Just the picture, and the text without that makes me giggle...with DNA in, not so much. I don't know why, more the 'donate wha...OH!' aspect that I get.

oakenspirit wrote:

Then I said BAH and took out the whole flaty background...

Any preferences / concerns?

;)

I like that last version best, but I think why it doesn't sell is this doesn't look like a 'replace your spouse' kind of thing, it looks like they are the couple. So maybe have a human man and woman, obviously partnering with the robots? Not sure how that would play.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

oakenspirit

Mavyn wrote:I like that last version best, but I think why it doesn't sell is this doesn't look like a 'replace your spouse' kind of thing, it looks like they are the couple. So maybe have a human man and woman, obviously partnering with the robots? Not sure how that would play.

What if I added a line like....

"Try one of our models..."

?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
oakenspirit wrote:What if I added a line like....

"Try one of our models..."

?

Maybe show a row of them? In bride dresses/tuxes, on each side like they go on forever?

Showing a couple...makes it a couple. *shrugs*

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sheenachu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheenachu
aerc712 wrote:I would say to take out the background text. It's tough to read and isn't really necessary.

I like what you have so far, but I'm curious about what you could do if you went a bit more dramatic with it. That's one element of propaganda posters that always stuck out to me - the AHHH THE WORLD IS GOING TO END dramatic effect going on. I think a good place to start would be to play around with the text a bit. Font style, size, color can make a big difference on these posters. Google a few and you can see how the text was really woven into the alarming message of the overall design.

Thanks! I'll work on it a little more