tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
deboraho wrote:I am really confused.... seriously, what determines theft vs not, if it is someone else's art work ?

Last week they crucified Lyoncc for using clip art. He claimed he drew it using the picture as a guide but Off My Gangplank! they said they could tell that he didn't draw it, through the flames and all. But apparently they can tell that Ramyb drew his. It's ridiculous. I guess it depends on the artist whether or not it's plagiarism.

Based on that, I can come into the derby and take someone elses idea as long as I "draw" it, I can submit it as my own.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: INVENT YOURSELF

Huh Huh, Punk's not dead... Let's go break something...

;)

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: United for Science v.2

Way better with a more historical year IMO, it still makes one a little queasy to see the two together on one ticket but it kinda works as an inside joke among nerds.

"Crazy, I know right? Those guys HATED each other! lolz"

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

jessicar64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessicar64
stingray69 wrote:Nailed it!

Agreed! Surprised this one doesn't have way more votes!

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Resistance

Robots, rise up! (роботы восстанут!)

Join the electrical resistance.

See a big version here.

This is four colors on red, thanks for looking,
---Spiritgreen Ω

kestrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kestrad

That image is glorious, but the text and the phrase are...eh.

Caddywompus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Caddywompus
Re: Birds Of Prey

A six foot chicken is scary these guys are terrifying. Like standing in the puddle you made terrifying.

merlindylan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merlindylan
Re: Build-a-Spouse

I like your textures. My right brain says, "You Deserve". My left, "Youde Serve". Clever.

SPEED LIMIT C

kestrad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kestrad
orabbit wrote:If you don't know, this is a real thing.

This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!

I realize this is a propaganda contest and all, so there are going to be artistic liberties, but I really wish people would stop perpetuating such misleading images about GMOs. Yes, a fish gene was put in a tomato. No, it's not going to be anything close to a fish-shaped tomato or a tomato-shaped fish. It's going to be a tomato that happens to produce a protein that usually are produced by a fish.

I don't want to argue one way or another about GMOs, but it pisses me off when people misrepresent genetic manipulation. It is alarmist and contributes nothing people's knowledge of how genetics actually works.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Do you really KNOW your elements...?

I don't understand the depiction of Francium, but it is a novel choice.

jessicar64

danieltobey wrote:Ooh, so pretty!

That's exactly what I was about to comment!

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
orabbit wrote:I just want to say that this plagiarism witch hunt is ridiculous. The evolution sequence is nearly as ubiquitous as the smiley face. This was clearly drawn from scratch to evoke a well known and oft-used image.

I found another example online where the postures and arm placements are the same.
http://scienceblogs.com/observations/2010/11/01/evolution-a-game-of-chance/

Woot in the past has allowed work that is inspired by another piece of work, and there are lots of drawings showing the stages of evolution. Since the actual people aren't copied, just the outlines, woot will probably overlook it. Is it totally ethical? In my opinion no, but ramy knows just how far to push the boundaries, and his work is popular.

LittleO

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleO

I really like it!

Re: Become a scientist

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula
Re: The Resistance

Love the colours!

edgrrrzzmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgrrrzzmom
Re: Ornithology: Seize the Bird!

The bird looks so calm in the midst of its "seizure."

jessicar64

Spiritgreen wrote:Robots, rise up! (роботы восстанут!)

Except, the text says роботы восстснут! which isn't exactly pronounceable (or translatable.)

You might want to fix the mis-spelling before you start to get too many votes.

tomspc

Re: Join the evolution

I'm not seeing the parody, actually it's offensive if you really look at it. "Change we can believe in" is Obama's slogan so are you referring to Obama as a monkey?

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
tomspc wrote:I'm not seeing the parody, actually it's offensive if you really look at it. "Change we can believe in" is Obama's slogan so are you referring to Obama as a monkey?

Hollyyyy Crap !

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

jessicar64, thanks for the suggestion but it's not a C it's a stylized lower-case a, see the little vertical line on the top right compared to the actual Cs'. :^)

---

Thanks Harantula! Tried to go for an unconventional palette on this one.

mrrogers413

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrrogers413

I can't help but be reminded of my cat when I look at this.

cursedprincess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cursedprincess

Awesome! I'd love to see this on a sweatshirt or long-sleeve some day!

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
Caddywompus wrote:Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it. I've always enjoyed the weird story behind the Brontosaurs.

Wait, WHAT??? D: I am feeling my childhood sureties shattering (and I don't even know the whole story yet!)

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
Re: Join the evolution

Help me understand....

AND

= WINNING DESIGN???

runnerfrog13

doctortachyon wrote:Also if they print it they're going to change it for maximum selling. Nothing final here.

What Mavyn said - if it prints, they don't usually make changes to the design, that's the exception rather than the rule. Hence the "print ready" file submission, not the "draft ready."

Would have liked it on a darker blue but their choice of color was dark royal, very dark navy, and this blue. The Navy just off black.

Perhaps something is a little off with your monitor calibration. The shirt color you are showing here is a color that woot doesn't carry, they do have a sky-blue with less turquoise in it though. If you wanted a darker blue I would go with the Royal Blue, it's about the color of the banner/menu bar at the top of the screen, it's not as dark as you might think. And yes, the Navy is so dark it's nearly black.

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
mjc613 wrote:I found another example online where the postures and arm placements are the same.
http://scienceblogs.com/observations/2010/11/01/evolution-a-game-of-chance/

Woot in the past has allowed work that is inspired by another piece of work, and there are lots of drawings showing the stages of evolution. Since the actual people aren't copied, just the outlines, woot will probably overlook it. Is it totally ethical? In my opinion no, but ramy knows just how far to push the boundaries, and his work is popular.

I am not sure the use of "His" was appropriate here....Not from what I have seen today.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
kestrad wrote:I realize this is a propaganda contest and all, so there are going to be artistic liberties, but I really wish people would stop perpetuating such misleading images about GMOs. Yes, a fish gene was put in a tomato. No, it's not going to be anything close to a fish-shaped tomato or a tomato-shaped fish. It's going to be a tomato that happens to produce a protein that usually are produced by a fish.

I don't want to argue one way or another about GMOs, but it pisses me off when people misrepresent genetic manipulation. It is alarmist and contributes nothing people's knowledge of how genetics actually works.

Thanks for your comments, nimrond and kestrad. I guess there's a reason that inane, humorous stuff does better than politically sensitive designs. I took the propaganda aspect to heart, and wanted to incorporate the distortion and manipulation associated with it. I know it's alarmist, but that's the point.

I personally am for genetic manipulation in concept, but in practice, it's had some unfortunate consequences. For example, Monsanto suing small farmers for patent infringement, or GMO crops contaminating organic farms. As long as the mega-corps are the ones funding the research, the noble science will get co-opted for their less-than-noble purposes.

/soapbox

I hope I don't turn anyone off with my politics. Next week, I think I'll draw some cute animals.

runnerfrog13

j5 wrote:FuzzyDunlop is pointing out the similarities between Mr. Spens design and the juxtaposition of these:

Lol, there's really only so much you can do to make a mushroom cloud look like, well, a mushroom cloud. And there's the whole style difference. Now, if there was actually another shirt that had a roflstomping rainbow-laser dinosaur making a mushroom cloud, then I'd pause.

Fuzzy is probably just sad his didn't get done earlier to submit first :P

runnerfrog13

stingray69 wrote:Yeah, you'd have to move the text up a bit and cut off some at the bottom of the design.

I agree, if you moved the text up you could either create a slightly smaller design, or you could even extend the ray background beneath the newly-raised text if you felt like it. It would be easier to read, and the simplicity is part of the attraction to propaganda, make the idea stick in your viewer's mind

runnerfrog13

j5 wrote:If they kick this for pop-culture, they must kick all of the "Keep Calm" entries as well.

Historically they haven't rejected any of the Keep Calm entries. Besides, there are tons of parodies that very very closely follow the style of very popular propaganda posters in this derby, many of them with likenesses of famous scientists. I think the likenesses are well within the realm of the theme, personally.

runnerfrog13

tomspc wrote:Last week they crucified Lyoncc for using clip art. He claimed he drew it using the picture as a guide but Off My Gangplank! they said they could tell that he didn't draw it, through the flames and all. But apparently they can tell that Ramyb drew his. It's ridiculous. I guess it depends on the artist whether or not it's plagiarism.

Ironically, it's almost like the better you are at using references to get poses/outlines/etc correct, or the more realistic you can draw, the more likely you are to be called out for "copying."

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote:
I hope I don't turn anyone off with my politics. Next week, I think I'll draw some cute animals.

Careful, your cute animals might have to run away from a pitchfork or two.

As for this design - I think the graphic and slogan go for the absurd and humorous pretty effectively. Living in farm country, there's lots of talk about who grows what etc., but the fishmato is, in my opinion, a hilarious representation of what we won't get to.

safarigato

quality posts: 0 Private Messages safarigato
Re: Ride With Science

Pologies, the goggle color is meant to be crimson.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote:I just want to say that this plagiarism witch hunt is ridiculous. The evolution sequence is nearly as ubiquitous as the smiley face. This was clearly drawn from scratch to evoke a well known and oft-used image.

Last week's debacle was a different matter. You can smell art theft a mile away, and this is not that. As Louis Armstrong said, “If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know.”

ETA - I was enjoying the discussion this was provoking, and I was glad to hear Ramy's well worded thoughts on belief. Now the whole thread has "devolved" into a morass of negative energy.

amen

It feels like, in my opinion, that part of the issue with the critiques is plagiarism v parody. It's one thing to steal someone else's hard work. It's another to take an existing concept, character, design and change things up a bit and put your own spin on it.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Test Science!

I like it, but why does the mouse have one popeye huge arm and one regular one?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Dreams Fulfilled! Wishes Granted!

Thanks
I had a lot of fun with this one! Choosing a typeface isn't the easiest thing for me so I'm glad it came out well

I went for a utopian look here though I was tempted to make something more eastern bloc

tomspc

aerc712 wrote:amen

It feels like, in my opinion, that part of the issue with the critiques is plagiarism v parody. It's one thing to steal someone else's hard work. It's another to take an existing concept, character, design and change things up a bit and put your own spin on it.

What was changed?? It is clearly the Evolution chart along with Obama's campaign poster. The poster wasn't changed at all and the evolution chart was silhouetted. It's not a parody, actually it's quite offensive. Rules say "Keep it Classy"...uh not classy

EDIT: Explain how last week he took an flaming eyeball and added a window washer, which is funny. Why is that not a parody?????? He was called a thief and beat up. Ramyb does the exact same thing (except it's not funny) and he's a genius?

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen
Re: METHOD NOW!

PERFECT!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
tomspc wrote:What was changed?? It is clearly the Evolution chart along with Obama's campaign poster. The poster wasn't changed at all and the evolution chart was silhouetted. It's not a parody, actually it's quite offensive. Rules say "Keep it Classy"...uh not classy

EDIT: Explain how last week he took an flaming eyeball and added a window washer, which is funny. Why is that not a parody?????? He was called a thief and beat up. Ramyb does the exact same thing (except it's not funny) and he's a genius?

I am a little surprised that this entry has caused so much controversy, and I've come to learn that participating in such discussions usually leads to a much worse response, but I can't help but jump in here anyway.

First of all, tracing is not the same as referencing by any stretch of the imagination. If you look up "evolution" on google images, you will find thousands of nearly identical images, as this representation has become absolutely the standard in terms of depicting evolution. In creating this image, I didn't even look at one specific image, I just freehanded it with the google images section open to pick three stages that could represent the idea. And for the record, you can try as hard as you want to overlay the images (or this with any other evolution image for that matter), and you will not be able to because I drew it entirely from scratch. There is nothing even remotely questionable about that.

Secondly, the joke here is not that Obama is a monkey. The joke is that evolution is change. It is taking the word change, and applying a different meaning of it to the poster. This shirt is not telling the world that you believe in Obama's message and that he is a monkey. It is telling the world that you believe in evolution, and that in a general sense you are a person who believes things based on evidence. That is all.

I thought this idea fit the theme, had an easy to understand message, and used a simple (and relatable) graphic to get the point across. There really isn't much ambiguity here, and if you want to intentionally distort the message to serve your purpose, that is your prerogative.

tomspc

ramyb wrote:Secondly, the joke here is not that Obama is a monkey. The joke is that evolution is change. It is taking the word change, and applying a different meaning of it to the poster. This shirt is not telling the world that you believe in Obama's message and that he is a monkey. It is telling the world that you believe in evolution, and that in a general sense you are a person who believes things based on evidence. That is all.

I thought this idea fit the theme, had an easy to understand message, and used a simple (and relatable) graphic to get the point across. There really isn't much ambiguity here, and if you want to intentionally distort the message to serve your purpose, that is your prerogative.

I believe it is you who is trying to stretch this "simple and relatable" idea into something else. I live in the south, specifically Atlanta, and if I wore that shirt out in public, I guarantee it would be taken offensively. Not sure where you live but feel free to wear that shirt through the south and see if people get your simple idea because I'm sure they'll get the relatable part.