deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
tomspc wrote:What was changed?? It is clearly the Evolution chart along with Obama's campaign poster. The poster wasn't changed at all and the evolution chart was silhouetted. It's not a parody, actually it's quite offensive. Rules say "Keep it Classy"...uh not classy

EDIT: Explain how last week he took an flaming eyeball and added a window washer, which is funny. Why is that not a parody?????? He was called a thief and beat up. Ramyb does the exact same thing (except it's not funny) and he's a genius?

My thoughts also.

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
ramyb wrote:I am a little surprised that this entry has caused so much controversy, and I've come to learn that participating in such discussions usually leads to a much worse response, but I can't help but jump in here anyway.

First of all, tracing is not the same as referencing by any stretch of the imagination. If you look up "evolution" on google images, you will find thousands of nearly identical images, as this representation has become absolutely the standard in terms of depicting evolution. In creating this image, I didn't even look at one specific image, I just freehanded it with the google images section open to pick three stages that could represent the idea. And for the record, you can try as hard as you want to overlay the images (or this with any other evolution image for that matter), and you will not be able to because I drew it entirely from scratch. There is nothing even remotely questionable about that.

Secondly, the joke here is not that Obama is a monkey. The joke is that evolution is change. It is taking the word change, and applying a different meaning of it to the poster. This shirt is not telling the world that you believe in Obama's message and that he is a monkey. It is telling the world that you believe in evolution, and that in a general sense you are a person who believes things based on evidence. That is all.

I thought this idea fit the theme, had an easy to understand message, and used a simple (and relatable) graphic to get the point across. There really isn't much ambiguity here, and if you want to intentionally distort the message to serve your purpose, that is your prerogative.

I'm not going to get into parody vs plagiarism or the "rules" because to be honest there seems to be a double standard in here. There's been a hint over time but the last 2 weeks is very telling. Enough said on that subject.

I have to agree that this could be offensive. Once I saw the evolution pic and the Obama pic together, it's pretty damning.

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
dawnao wrote:Help me understand....

AND

= WINNING DESIGN???

multiply that equation by one RAMYB...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Rex the Riveter

Great lines, and I love that his tiny forearms are holding controllers, not stuffed inside the robo arms. It's like an Easter Egg for your eyes. :^)

Spiritgreen

Re: Team Tesla

I once made a videogame where the end boss was an evil lightning wizard called Edizon. True story.

Great design, Rad!

hannahzinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannahzinn

[quote postid="5183600" user="Spiritgreen"]jessicar64, thanks for the suggestion but it's not a C it's a stylized lower-case a, see the little vertical line on the top right compared to the actual Cs'. :^)

Spiritgreen, I understand your decision and defense of it, but I have to say as someone who lived in Russia for 4 years and reads Russian, my response was the same. I started to read your text (was excited about it actually) and then quit when it didn't look like a real word. I think the issue may be that most if not all of your other letters except for the r in robot are capitalized (or at least look the same lower and upper) so a stylized lowercase "a" just looks like a c for those of us in the know.

Although I like your design, I wouldn't buy it for that one tiny little reason. Again, I am only of many but I wanted to second the comment in case you wanted to reconsider early in the game. That being said, I wish you all the best with your design retouched or not.

stingray69

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stingray69
Re: METHOD NOW!

This would make a great poster, too.

Spiritgreen

Thanks hannah, when I just sent in the printready file I closed off the right side of that 'a'. Tiny change, literally just a few pixels, but it would read more clearly.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Gravity Wins

Inspired by Soviet propaganda posters and falling down.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
Re: Gravity Wins

LOL

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
Re: Science Rules!

I think you should be this weeks guest editor. YOU KNOW YOUR SCIENCE!

doctortachyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doctortachyon
runnerfrog13 wrote:Perhaps something is a little off with your monitor calibration. The shirt color you are showing here is a color that woot doesn't carry, they do have a sky-blue with less turquoise in it though. If you wanted a darker blue I would go with the Royal Blue, it's about the color of the banner/menu bar at the top of the screen, it's not as dark as you might think. And yes, the Navy is so dark it's nearly black.

It is one they offer or at least it from there color template.

obvian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages obvian
Spiritgreen wrote:Great lines, and I love that his tiny forearms are holding controllers, not stuffed inside the robo arms. It's like an Easter Egg for your eyes. :^)

Cheers! I nearly put buttons on the top before I realised he didn't have thumbs and logic slapped me around. But stuff logic. This is SCIENCE!

Thank you everyone for your comments and votes on this! She was fun to draw indeed.

kristinspradling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristinspradling

When science and tradition meet...

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow
Re: USF Poster

I love this! Glad your back.

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
merlindylan wrote:Great Idea.

Thank you!

mightyrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mightyrain
fuacka wrote:Love the style, that "mignolian" shades are so cool!
+1

Why thank you! Was not familiar with the work of Mignola until I went googling "Mignolian". Thanks! I like the work I can referance from that search!

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

Bwahahahahaha, yup that sums it up

chewbeck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chewbeck
Re: Discover Aeronautics

I like this, but to be honest, I think I'd like it better without the penguin. That would be awesome.

jabberwok

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jabberwok
Re: Science: Disproving Childhood Memories

Oh sure... And next you're going to tell us that Pluto isn't a planet!!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Color With Science

<--- Elementary School Art Teacher...

Would Wear... ;)

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Testing

Creepiest Version of the Power Glove ever....

hannahzinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hannahzinn
Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks hannah, when I just sent in the printready file I closed off the right side of that 'a'. Tiny change, literally just a few pixels, but it would read more clearly.

The text looks good. I'm glad it was an easy fix. +1 for me.

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456
Re: Join the evolution

Reclaimer456 wrote:I fully expect someone to play the racism card on this entry.

tomspc wrote:I'm not seeing the parody, actually it's offensive if you really look at it. "Change we can believe in" is Obama's slogan so are you referring to Obama as a monkey?

Called that.

steveblack37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steveblack37
yellowflower wrote:This is so, so awesome. My boyfriend and I have a rule that we never buy the same clothes, so we're fighting over who gets to buy this if it prints.

Just have one person "buy" two ;)

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
Re: Be Safe

Hope you like my design this week. Thanks for checkin' it out.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
mjc613 wrote:I don't understand the depiction of Francium, but it is a novel choice.

Francium is supposed to be one of the most unstable elements, so I was trying to illustrate explosive...

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
Re: Science is Fun

"Not really for our crowd"...you gotta be kidding? Racism is ok but not procreation. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

deesbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
tomspc wrote:"Not really for our crowd"...

Sorry. Of course no one in the derby has ever had sex...too busy watching p.o.r.n. and playing video games in their mommie's basement.

deesbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deesbar
ramyb wrote:
First of all, tracing is not the same as referencing by any stretch of the imagination. If you look up "evolution" on google images, you will find thousands of nearly identical images, as this representation has become absolutely the standard in terms of depicting evolution. In creating this image, I didn't even look at one specific image, I just freehanded it with the google images section open to pick three stages that could represent the idea. And for the record, you can try as hard as you want to overlay the images (or this with any other evolution image for that matter), and you will not be able to because I drew it entirely from scratch. There is nothing even remotely questionable about that.

I took your challenge and over layed your "drawing" with the original pics. Freehand huh?

hpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hpesoj
Re: Power to the Planets! Not you, Pluto.

No love for MakeMake and Eris, either?

tomspc

Join the evolution

dawnao wrote:I'm not going to get into parody vs plagiarism or the "rules" because to be honest there seems to be a double standard in here. There's been a hint over time but the last 2 weeks is very telling.

"Double standard"....yes there is. Careful because if you mention "conspiracy" or "clique" they will freak out on you.

Reclaimer456 wrote:I fully expect someone to play the racism card on this entry.

Called that.

So I wasn't the first to notice that this could be conceived as racist.

deesbar wrote:I took your challenge and over layed your "drawing" with the original pics. Freehand huh?

Shocking!

Personally I don't care if it's not original artwork but I do care when some are called out on it and beat up over it while others are praised. It does lend some credibility to the whole clique conspiracy theory, that I've been told on more than one occasion, doesn't exist.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Science is Fun

Family friendly designs are pretty well standard. Nothing mysterious about the rejection.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tomspc

Mavyn wrote:Family friendly designs are pretty well standard. Nothing mysterious about the rejection.

I'm not mad, I fully expected it. Gave me a good laugh. Your "Family friendly designs" comment made me laugh even more. Thanks I needed that!

dmbarber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbarber

I need this shirt!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:Shocking!

Not sure why, but the OP wasn't in the design thread. I reposted my reply in there for context.

move along

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tomspc wrote:Shocking!

Personally I don't care if it's not original artwork but I do care when some are called out on it and beat up over it while others are praised. It does lend some credibility to the whole clique conspiracy theory, that I've been told on more than one occasion, doesn't exist.

Um, looking back at this thread, there is one positive comment and a couple indifferent. The rest is outrage. Hardly "praise". Unless if by "praise" you mean that it is in the fog. In that case, recall that LyonsCC's was also in the fog at the time.

move along

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Re: Join the evolution

In addition to this being offensive, it's also a pop culture riff. How is this not rejected?

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
oakenspirit wrote:<--- Elementary School Art Teacher...

Would Wear... ;)

Thanks!

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Re: Obey Gravity

Love this!

Would really love to wear it with my flying penguin zippered hoodie