bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
kestrad wrote:That image is glorious, but the text and the phrase are...eh.

I think it's pretty funny, I don't know if he intended it to be though. :P

I like all your entries this week Kharma, you're a very creative guy!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

@wendooku:
Thanks! I wouldn't mind it too much. Plenty of other awesome designs to choose from.

@garners:
I'd considered putting in rainbows, seeing as how Tesla invented them

@Spiritgreen
Sweet! I'd love to play it!
What did you develop it in?

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
kylemittskus wrote:This sucks. Pop culture. Old idea. I hate these derbies.

Don't hate the derby.
Don't hate the artist...
Hate the voters. :D

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
writermist wrote:Don't hate the derby.
Don't hate the artist...

Word.

I'm just hanging out, really.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
kylemittskus wrote:IMO, this shirt is plagiarized. The Obama slogan and the image are too close for comfort.

HOWEVER, if you are making some comparison between Obama and monkeys, that's all you. I am so god d*amn sick of this political correct BS. This is a joke, playing off a political slogan and evolution. And the joke would still be funny if it were a white guy who had the "change" slogan. Screw your political correctness. But screw Ramy for more rule-pushing crap.

I understand what your saying about the PCness of it all and I agree people are overly sensitive these days BUT this is an election year where Obama and that campaign slogan are everywhere. The timing is bad for this design. Keep in mind that there is a long history in this country of white people comparing black people to apes and monkeys. So putting apes on Obama's campaign slogan can and will be misunderstood by many people. This is why it is highly offensive. No one will look at this design as evolution humor. I doubt Ramyb meant it that way however I would not risk offending people by wearing that shirt.

tomspc

writermist wrote:Don't hate the derby.
Don't hate the artist...

True!

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
Re: Recycle Waste, Not Ideas...

Nailed it !! Got my vote !!

tomspc

Love it and voted for it! If it prints, I will send one to Ramyb.

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456
tomspc wrote:I understand what your saying about the PCness of it all and I agree people are overly sensitive these days BUT this is an election year where Obama and that campaign slogan are everywhere. The timing is bad for this design. Keep in mind that there is a long history in this country of white people comparing black people to apes and monkeys. So putting apes on Obama's campaign slogan can and will be misunderstood by many people. This is why it is highly offensive. No one will look at this design as evolution humor. I doubt Ramyb meant it that way however I would not risk offending people by wearing that shirt.

People misunderstanding something does not make it offensive.

Other than using a campaign slogan, there is absolutely nothing about the shirt which implies that Obama is a monkey. (note that the outlined person is both white in the original image and not anything resembling a caricature of Obama)

That being said, the utter lack of creativity on this image would make it a shame if it prints. At best, Ramyb is too liberally sampling from other works (can't even be bothered to change the font on the slogan?), and at worst, he is flat out plagiarizing other works.

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456

This very aptly sums up the recent kerfuffles in the derbies.

obvian

quality posts: 1 Private Messages obvian
cjbel87 wrote:Great design, but, pop culture reference?

It's an homage to the Rosie the Riveter propoganda poster, but that was the only intended reference.

Don't tell me there was a robotic armed dinosaur played by Neil Patrick Harris. There'd better not have been.

tomspc

Reclaimer456 wrote:People misunderstanding something does not make it offensive.

Other than using a campaign slogan, there is absolutely nothing about the shirt which implies that Obama is a monkey. (note that the outlined person is both white in the original image and not anything resembling a caricature of Obama)

That being said, the utter lack of creativity on this image would make it a shame if it prints. At best, Ramyb is too liberally sampling from other works (can't even be bothered to change the font on the slogan?), and at worst, he is flat out plagiarizing other works.

I understand where you're coming from. I believe the timing is off on this hacked design. I would not want to wear a shirt that people might misunderstand and while I'm trying to explain the woot derby, WWII propaganda and evolution, I'm getting my arse kicked.

intunepiccolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intunepiccolo

Do it for SCIENCE is a collaboration between intunepiccolo and the dashingly geeky ZevEisenberg.

This is our first Derby. If you have time to give feedback for us new kids, we'd love your critiques! You can be as scathing as you'd like.

• Is there an element you particularly like, or would change?
  • Should we do customized comp images like the pros?
  • Did you know that you can fake a mushroom sauce using peas instead?
  • Dang, there are a lot of pretty propaganda posters out there.

If you don't feel like saying anything, that's cool too. I'm just a lurker, myself.

Science!

megsck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages megsck
Re: USF Poster

thanks for the kind words everybody! for science!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
inkycatz wrote:Word.

I agree.. Word !!!

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya
Re: Team Tesla

I really, really hope this prints. My husband is a huge Tesla fan and is constantly going on about how great he was and all the stuff he did that he didn't get credit for. I would love to be able to buy this for him for Christmas.

Necrotech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Necrotech
aerc712 wrote:Did not expect the "for experimentation" part. +1 for the creepy, amusing line

Truly I am villainous.

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

My first derby.
Hope you like it
http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/66298/science

hpesoj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hpesoj
Re: Solder On

Love it! Just can't wear red...

intunepiccolo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages intunepiccolo
Re: Resist Capacity Induction Power

I like that the slogan can be read in a full circle, with Power making sense at both the beginning and the end. It's also nice to see designs breaking from the rectangular-poster mold.

I've been shilling this contest to my fellow EEs. I'd love to wear this shirt!

---

bigblued

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
Caddywompus wrote:This is a design I'd rather hang on the wall. Maybe I'll just nail a coat hanger to the drywall if it wins.

Heh! Thanks for the compliment! They do make display frames specifically for hanging t-shirts. I bet that woot could make a bundle selling them as an accessory.

shotmakers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shotmakers
Re: SCIENCE!

I do believe that silhouettes of the Muppet scientists qualifies as a pop culture reference...

artguyaaron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages artguyaaron
Re: METHOD NOW!

thanks everybody, cool derby theme

jlb567s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlb567s
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Science is the best!

I LOVE it!!

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
Re: Scientific Revolution V2

Really great improvement!

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond

lonelypond

Re: It is Rocket Science!

very nice

lonelypond

Re: Become a scientist

inspiration noted

lonelypond

Re: Human Testing

kaseyfleming!!!

lonelypond

Re: Obey Gravity

so much yes

lonelypond

Re: The Resistance

nice

lonelypond

Re: The Gray Menace

a zombie shirt I might buy

scarecow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarecow
shotmakers wrote:I do believe that silhouettes of the Muppet scientists qualifies as a pop culture reference...

No harm in trying.

Sergio37

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sergio37
Mavyn wrote:I like it, but why does the mouse have one popeye huge arm and one regular one?

Because... science?

kpbrnemtp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kpbrnemtp
collinvh wrote:Hope you like my design this week. Thanks for checkin' it out.

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/66291/be-safe

I *must* have this! Most. Awesome. Shirt. Ever.

blhilger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blhilger
alorindanya wrote:And it is fitting since Bowie played Tesla in the Prestige anyway.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I love this so much! :D

AshtonSanders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AshtonSanders

Nice. I would recommend adding a note to your yellow shirt, so people know they have a choice.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 24 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
Re: Obey Gravity

For some odd reason, I like this one o.o; It's so absurd that it's awesome. Like Freakazoid.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: The Resistance

Thanks lonelypond!

Btw, the binary on the electric factory is the ascii code for escape.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit
Sergio37 wrote:Because... science?

Because... TROGDOOOOOOOOR!!!!!