Looks awesome.

brobosky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brobosky

I would buy this.

Re: Human Testing

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler

My 0.02...

If you understood evolution you would understand that there are no apes or monkeys depicted on this shirt. They are all hominids. So where, might I ask, does the race card come into play?

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
jspickler wrote:My 0.02...

If you understood evolution you would understand that there are no apes or monkeys depicted on this shirt. They are all hominids. So where, might I ask, does the race card come into play?

Since it's a silhouette, you really can't say that it's not an ape. Do me a favor, wear that shirt through Atlanta, Selma, Montgomery, Jackson, etc. and let me know how the ape and hominid conversation works out for you.

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler
tomspc wrote:Since it's a silhouette, you really can't say that it's not an ape. Do me a favor, wear that shirt through Atlanta, Selma, Montgomery, Jackson, etc. and let me know how the ape and hominid conversation works out for you.

I'm from Columbus, Georgia and am currently living in Virginia and as a biologist, would have no problem wearing this.

Edit: It's not an ape, silhouette or not, since it's in the context of evolutionary progression. If the first silhouette were standing alone then I would agree with you since it appears ape-like. However, it's shown here in the context of human evolution which would make it a common ancestor, not an ape. Anyone exposed to this image in school should understand that.

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz
Re: Birds Of Prey

Very nice design! I like that it's so bold and clean.

--

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

you make difficult things look so easy! awesome palette, great design :D

tomspc

jspickler wrote:I'm from Columbus, Georgia and am currently living in Virginia and as a biologist, would have no problem wearing this.

Edit: It's not an ape, silhouette or not, since it's in the context of evolutionary progression. If the first silhouette were standing alone then I would agree with you since it appears ape-like. However, it's shown here in the context of human evolution which would make it a common ancestor, not an ape. Anyone exposed to this image in school should understand that.

"No, that's not a Swastika I'm wearing. It's an equilateral cross with four arms bent at right angles. And did you know that it's an ornament that was widely used in the Indus Valley Civilization of Ancient India? What? You didn't learn ancient history in school. You're joking, right?"

Yeah, I see how my education can easily explain that to people who might be offended. Thanks for the pointers!

wirdou

Simple and effective!:D And great colors :D You are on fire this week Fishbiscuit!:D

wirdou

I voted for both versions, and though I like most of your entries for this derby, this is probably my favorite! The colors work so great!

wirdou

Thank you all! I' sorry for the confusing post-it notes...but that was the best way it worked

wirdou

Awesome as always Radscoolian! In this case I love the color palette you've chosen

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya
Re: Join the evolution

I think it's interesting that an identical shirt (which was probably submitted to prove a point) was rejected for "photos, halftones, racist" but this one still stands. Yes, the other one was a direct copy of this one, so it should have been rejected, but being a copy of this one wasn't WHY it was rejected.

Edit: Nevermind, I see it was submitted AS a rejection. Sorry.

akayeh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akayeh
mjc613 wrote:This is a good time to plug the effort to renovate Tesla's last lab, so that it can be a science museum, and so more people can learn about Tesla. http://www.teslasciencecenter.org/

This is a great shirt, but Tesla had a huge argument in 1884 with Edison over money (He improved Edison's system and added controls) and they later had a huge rivalry over DC vs AC power. In '82, Edison was the star and Tesla was an unknown, but I love the irony of putting Tesla in front. (Bizarre wording used to avoid woot filters for the word F*I*R*S*T.)

I'm curious as to why the ban on the premier ordinal number. Can someone enlighten me?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
meandsecoya wrote:I think it's interesting that an identical shirt (which was probably submitted to prove a point) was rejected for "photos, halftones, racist" but this one still stands. Yes, the other one was a direct copy of this one, so it should have been rejected, but being a copy of this one wasn't WHY it was rejected.

Look again. That one (as of now) has not been rejected (it shows 0 votes and can still be voted on). The design was MADE with the REJECTED stamp and the design name is Rejected: ect ect. So that is not from woot at all.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya
Mavyn wrote:Look again. That one (as of now) has not been rejected (it shows 0 votes and can still be voted on). The design was MADE with the REJECTED stamp and the design name is Rejected: ect ect. So that is not from woot at all.

Yeah, I saw that right after I posted and edited my post to reflect it. Apparently, I haven't had enough coffee yet.

Mavyn

akayeh wrote:I'm curious as to why the ban on the premier ordinal number. Can someone enlighten me?

Because people have the ridiculous thought that it's clever to be the initial responder to a post with nothing more than said premier ordinal number as their only comment. And woot likes to mock common phrases.

Mavyn

meandsecoya wrote:Yeah, I saw that right after I posted and edited my post to reflect it. Apparently, I haven't had enough coffee yet.

I'm on my second cup, so I empathize. ;)

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
Re: Become a scientist

Excellent concept! I like the way you combined cuteness with propaganda. Good luck this week.

akayeh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akayeh
Mavyn wrote:Because people have the ridiculous thought that it's clever to be the initial responder to a post with nothing more than said premier ordinal number as their only comment. And woot likes to mock common phrases.

Thank you so very much! Yes, I have run across many of said posters on other lists before. It may be a necessary evil, but a good trip through Roget's can always help.

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
bluetuba wrote:I think it's pretty funny, I don't know if he intended it to be though. :P

I like all your entries this week Kharma, you're a very creative guy!

Thanks a lot Blue tuba, yes i was not really serious with this slogan, just meming "The Watchers";-))

cdrewlow

quality posts: 7 Private Messages cdrewlow
deborah11565 wrote:No Way !!! Nobody on here would fake anything.

My real beard is a lot less majestic and a lot grayer.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
phoenixgirrl wrote:In addition to this being offensive, it's also a pop culture riff. How is this not rejected?

For the same reason all of the "Keep Calm and Carry On" derivatives are not being rejected.

deboraho wrote:I believe RAMYB must be a WOOT employee.... only thing that makes SENSE !

I hope you're being sarcastic.

As for this particular entry, I have mixed feelings about it. I think Ramy should have chosen a different font for the slogan, but as this is clearly parody use of Obama's old slogan I don't think it runs afoul of any copyright. The evolution image is so burned into my mind after years of science and anthropology classes that I didn't think twice about his rendition of it. I can see where people could infer racism or such from the juxtaposition of the image with the slogan, but not everyone would see it and I certainly don't think it's reflective of Ramy's views.

I will say that when a Ramy entry generates a huge discussion, it feels like the old Woot again.

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
Re: Obey Gravity

Does anyone else care that the only part of this design that is truly halftoned is the writting on the hat? You all need to recognize that this will not look like this when printed.

bigblued

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
lonelypond wrote:very nice

Thank you!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 506 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just a reminder to keep your comments focused on THIS design and keep comments civil.

If you have issues with the design, tattle.

Comments on the design? Great but focus on the design.

Thanks!

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
Re: Science

I really like this! It's very well-drawn. You've got a great sense of perspective and depth going on with all those objects. Everything stands out and looks believable even though it's all clumped together. +1

seenkylie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seenkylie
Re: Wrong

I liked it.

Johndis5

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Johndis5

Edit for on topicness. I think the shirt is genuinely funny.. really funny! Outside of this derby I'd probably even buy it. That said, the clip art, the definitely pop-culture slogan, and the lack of propaganda style is plenty of reason not to vote for it. And, the clip art/ pop culture should be reason enough for rejection.

tomspc wrote:No one will look at this design as evolution humor. I doubt Ramyb meant it that way however I would not risk offending people by wearing that shirt.

By that logic, all of the voters that put this piece in the fog must go ape-Gaaar, Peter! for racist humor. Shame on them!

Also, If a person or persons misunderstand or misinterpret something to be racist, the something then becomes racist, even if it wasn't racist to begin with?

tomspc

Johndis5 wrote:By that logic, all of the voters that put this piece in the fog must go ape-Gaaar, Peter! for racist humor. Shame on them!

Also, If a person or persons misunderstand or misinterpret something to be racist, the something then becomes racist, even if it wasn't racist to begin with?

Ok I will try to explain it in simple terms for you. We all have the knowledge that the design is based on science and WWII propaganda, armed with that knowledge, the design is not racist. However outside the derby, in the real world, people who see the design will not be armed with that knowledge. This is when the design can be misunderstood and appear racist.

No one remembers Bush or Clinton's campaign slogans so down the road after Obama has left office, his campaign slogan will be forgotten as well. Then the design will not be offensive because no one will remember that it's tied to Obama. The timing is bad.

I've said this before, if you have to explain the design to people then there is something wrong with the design.

Johndis5 wrote:Edit for on topicness. ...That said, the clip art, the definitely pop-culture slogan, and the lack of propaganda style is plenty of reason not to vote for it. And, the clip art/ pop culture should be reason enough for rejection.

EDIT: Agree 100% but apparently Woot is not going to reject this design for those reasons, even though they have rejected many in the past for those same offenses.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 25 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Science

I like all the small details. Nice compilation of science themes. Specially the dinosaur on a capsule ;)

justynadorsz

ochopika wrote:I really like this! It's very well-drawn. You've got a great sense of perspective and depth going on with all those objects. Everything stands out and looks believable even though it's all clumped together. +1

thank you very much!

It's a pity I entered the derby so late though, my design won't probably get a lot of votes.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
Re: Rex the Riveter

THOSE TINY ARMS. They're the cherry on top of this amazing design.

edgrrrzzmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgrrrzzmom
Re: Pets, Good For Your Health

Cute idea, but even a maxi pet lover such as I am not drawn to the illustration. I find the woman's overt sexy pose sort of offensive in the overall context.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

edgrrrzzmom wrote:Cute idea, but even a maxi pet lover such as I am not drawn to the illustration. I find the woman's overt sexy pose sort of offensive in the overall context.

i thought it said "pelts: good for your health."

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

paxdomino

quality posts: 4 Private Messages paxdomino
growgreen wrote:Does anyone else care that the only part of this design that is truly halftoned is the writting on the hat? You all need to recognize that this will not look like this when printed.

The only part that is SHOWN as halftone is the writing on the hat, to show a sample of the halftone detail. Rest assured, the full file that got sent to Woot is fully halftoned in five colors. Thanks for your concern.

dunbangel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dunbangel
Re: No Junk!

Its funny because 98% of human DNA does not code for proteins and only exist to protect the other 2% from mutations. So really, 98% of DNA IS junk DNA

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen
paxdomino wrote:The only part that is SHOWN as halftone is the writing on the hat, to show a sample of the halftone detail. Rest assured, the full file that got sent to Woot is fully halftoned in five colors. Thanks for your concern.

Why would a file get sent to woot that is fully halftoned? Did they request it? They request when the shirt has a serious potential for print.
Your shirt comp is to be fully halftoned and version that woot receives is to be gradient, then they will convert to halftone.
Unless I missed a change somewhere?
The biggest concern is that the halftone on the hat is obviously halftoned, even without the enlargement, but nothing else in this composition even looks remotely halftoned... Many artist work very hard to make their composition look really great in halftone, and sometimes even make concessions to their design to accommodate how the final print will look, knowing Woot's specific printing abilities... This one simply looks like all gradient.

justynadorsz

omarfeliciano wrote:I like all the small details. Nice compilation of science themes. Specially the dinosaur on a capsule ;)

thank you! glad you like it