miguelsierra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages miguelsierra
Re: Support Moonscience

3 colors on Navy, hope you like it!!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
tjschaeffer wrote:I voted for this shirt, not only because it is awesome and Tesla rocks, but also because I hate Thomas Edison.

I feel like there's a story here...

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pipette carefully

Isn't this a leeeeeeetle too similar to MJ's printed Loose Dips Sink Chips?
Maybe no one else sees it? Maybe this is a ramyb/MJ collaboration? Maybe it's a really popular pun phrase and drawing/lettering style? But for me, not knowing, it's just a bit too close for comfort.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Team Tesla

TESLA!!!!1!!1!1!1!!11

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming

hcschmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hcschmidt
Re: The Beauty of Science

And no to all you out there, this is not a tribute to Gays, Lesbians, or Pink Floyd. As it says it is a tribute to the beauty of science. Great thanks to Newton for his work with prisms. Was originally trying to imitate the Loose Talk Cost Lives or Loose Lips Sink Ships, not sure if you can tell that or not.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Truncated Icosahedrons Are Swell!

I think buckminsterfullerene and geodesic domes are cool. If we want to win the war against ignorance, we have to make our kids think so too! And I'm also taking a shot at the poor magnet toys which are definitely NOT for kids.

lc118

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lc118

I want this shirt!

neuropsychosocial

paleodon wrote:Kinda torn here. Good drawing and propaganda design (though using an outdated picture as representation of evolution) but it doesn't really address the other half of the theme, because part of the reason science IS awesome is that it doesn't require belief. Could reference supporting with evidence instead. As a grad student, still hoping to see a print with this cool idea!

IMHO, the reference to how science is amazing is more implicit than explicit, but I've always found evolution to be the epitome of how amazing science is: serendipity, combined with deductive reasoning and close examination of evidence, resulted in an unexpected discovery that changed the way many look at the very meaning of life. That's pretty cool!

Aside from Ramy's shirt, I disagree (in a nuanced way) that science doesn't require belief. For example, I've seen only a fraction of the fossil record with my own eyes, but I believe that the rest exists. I've not seen the evidence for the Higgs boson, but I believe that it exists. I've definitely not seen the Krebs cycle in action with my own eyes. If someone walks into my office and is capable of picture matching and object identification, but produces agrammatical speech, I might diagnose damage to Broca's area because I believe that the posterior inferior frontal gyrus contains a portion of brain critical for expressive language. (To be fair, someone else can verify this based on MRI, but even then, I'm reliant on a belief in imaging and the science behind neuroradiology, because I definitely can't read MRIs!)

neuropsychosocial

Re: Birds Of Prey

This design requires a comment alluding to xkcd.

thatquietgir1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thatquietgir1
orabbit wrote:Cool! Great message.

Thanks orabbit!

orabbit

Re: The God Particle

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

Thanks to j5 for helping me fine tune this.

kaseyfleming

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaseyfleming
Re: The Gray Menace

Nice!

orabbit

Re: Rad M;C.

This is wild! But what does it mean?

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8

I like it Rads, But is it not "celebrity likenesses" ?

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
Re: Poetry in Motion

I'll tell you what's blinding me. Keep Calm slogan shirts with just a tiny minor graphic element.

ARGH my eyes, it BURNS!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Human Testing

This ticks all the boxes and then some.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: The Gray Menace

Cool stuff with a really strong visual element.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
bluetuba wrote:I'll tell you what's blinding me. Keep Calm slogan shirts with just a tiny minor graphic element.

ARGH my eyes, it BURNS!

Aw, but the original poster has only one simple graphic element. It's ok, I just threw this together last night in between teaching and back to school night. I'm working on other designs for this week! So many ideas!!! :D

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
Re: Curiosity

It also kills cats... for science!

orabbit

Re: GM Uh-Oh

Whoops! I just noticed that in my rush to get the comp file ready, some things got messed up. I'm sure it bugs no one but me, but here's what it really looks like:

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
randomwordz321 wrote:I'm finding the way the text jumps from post-it note to shirt confusing. I want to read each post-it note as a complete message and now I can't! Nooooo

Yeah, same here. It's a bit confusing.

notnas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages notnas
Re: Become a scientist

junk. as a scientist, this is all too true.

thewronggrape

quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape
goldenthorn wrote:Isn't this a leeeeeeetle too similar to MJ's printed Loose Dips Sink Chips?
Maybe no one else sees it? Maybe it's a really popular pun phrase and drawing/lettering style?

They're both based on a famous poster so it makes sense that they look similar to it (and each other):

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Wow the sheer genius of where the slogan ended up is frightening me a bit!

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Human Testing

Beautiful illustration!

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

fuacka

fuacka

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

thewronggrape wrote:They're both based on a famous poster so it makes sense that they look similar to it (and each other):

OOOOOOOH!! Well, that explains it, then!! Thank you for the education!

fuacka

Re: Science, you gonna love it!

Science... everything is possible!
Maybe in the future all of this awesome stuff could happen.

kaleidoscopicfailure

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaleidoscopicfailure

It would have been a huge for a chicken. But pretty normal sized for a turkey.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Artificial reEVOLUTION

Why wait for the seeds of change to slowly grow... EVOLVE NOW!!!

We have come to a point where evolution is dead... unneeded... unwanted...

Don't wait for nature to take its own course... PLOT YOUR OWN!!!

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
Re: It is Rocket Science!

Hearty thumbs up. Reminds me of WSMR.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Such a happy tunato!

jfsiv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfsiv
Re: Science is the way Join Today

Come Help us achieve the technology to create life, build robots, and bring the dead back too life.

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525

All types of fantastic! Well done, O!

ramyb

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ramyb
paleodon wrote:Kinda torn here. Good drawing and propaganda design (though using an outdated picture as representation of evolution) but it doesn't really address the other half of the theme, because part of the reason science IS awesome is that it doesn't require belief. Could reference supporting with evidence instead. As a grad student, still hoping to see a print with this cool idea!

To me, that's the crux of the joke with this entry. First of all, just as a semantic point, belief doesn't necessarily imply blind faith. It just means that you trust in the truth of something, which can be accomplished by reviewing convincing evidence.

But on to more interesting thoughts: my idea in creating this design is that there is so much that people are asked to believe WITHOUT evidence, and that's what sets science apart. Ultimately, there have been discoveries that were later refuted, but the very basic principles of scientific investigation involve seeing (in the most general sense) before believing. To me, that really falls in stark opposition to the way that propaganda works, which is preying on people's emotions rather than their sensibilities. I thought this design highlighted that by taking a popularized type of slogan and putting it in a context that gives it entirely different meaning that really highlights what is so great about science.

(And for the record, there are still plenty of people who don't believe in evolution)

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird

orabbit

Re: Our Collision with Tomorrow

This is cool! What shirt color is it though? It looks like heather gray, which isn't an option. Resubmit it on silver or slate to avoid rejection.