quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
Re: Birds Of Prey

I <3 Velociraptors!

cool design

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
Re: Poetry in Motion

new rule... entries must be at least 75% picture not words. -_-'
besides... isn't this breaking the pop culture rule?

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
deborah11565 wrote:QQ.... aren't these submissions supposed to resemble the WWII propaganda posters ?

A lot of these are off topic, not seeing the war propaganda aspect. But the good news is I haven't seen a turtle, bunny, rainbow or unicorn yet. This could be the best derby yet.

tomspc

Re: Join the evolution

This looks like plagiarism to me

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
tomspc wrote:This looks like plagiarism to me

Jesus...... I watch my guy spend hours drawing and questioning every aspect of his artwork.... this is something else.....

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 8 Private Messages benjaminleebates
Re: Discover Aeronautics

I'm crazy excited about this design, I hope you all like!

snmasters

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snmasters
Re: Trust In Newton V2

I love the design, but I personally cannot do cranberry. Nice work.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

aerc712 wrote:Based on not only one of the most famous propaganda posters ever created, but also one of the most parodied. Oy vey.

You wound me, my dear. Aye, it is true, you have ferreted out the evil at the heart of my being: for all my genius, my vast founts of knowledge both common and esoteric, my extraordinarily kind yet keen wisdom and generosity of spirit... verily, there are shameful gaps even within this perfect-seeming core of being that is goldenthorn! Oy vey, indeed! *runs away sobbing and wailing and being all ashamed and embarrassed and rilly rilly silly*

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka
Re: Support science

That's so cool guys!
+1

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka
Re: ka-boom

That design blows mine too!
+1 sir

fossilgirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
Re: Brave New World (Not Black Edition)

Great Job! I like the text. I don't think it takes away from the design and it makes your message clear.

tomspc

Re: Poetry in Motion

YAWN! I'm not seeing the WWII propaganda poster in this design. Actually I've seen this "Keep Calm" in almost every derby. Isn't this pop culture anyway?

tomspc

Re: Support science

Not seeing the WWII propaganda aspect to this design. Seems off topic to me

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

aerc712 wrote:There are plenty of propaganda posters that had a simpler design. Especially WWI era posters, those tended to have a message and graphic element, but weren't as loud and busy as many produced during WWII.

Mmm-hmm, I used to love using this one archive of WWI-era social hygiene propaganda posters that were indeed simplistic slogan+graphic-type designs. They did have a very distinctive style and were great fun to reuse for humour.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
tomspc wrote:YAWN! I'm not seeing the WWII propaganda poster in this design. Actually I've seen this "Keep Calm" in almost every derby. Isn't this pop culture anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

fishbiscuit5

Re: Rex the Riveter

Funny and well done!

deboraho

fishbiscuit5 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On

I am thinking more so the design element no one seems to be focused on.... from the comment section.....

deboraho

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Funny and well done!

Glad to see the inspiration !

deboraho

CHICKFURKEY.....WHERE ARE YOU ??? Love me some original artwork !!

deboraho

FlyingMouse365 wrote:Back to nature.

This is really cool !!! The steam pump may hinder your votes....I voted !

deboraho

Re: ka-boom

I believe I have watched too much Breaking Bad for this one....

deboraho

goldenthorn wrote:Mmm-hmm, I used to love using this one archive of WWI-era social hygiene propaganda posters that were indeed simplistic slogan+graphic-type designs. They did have a very distinctive style and were great fun to reuse for humour.

really... ?

deboraho

deboraho wrote:really... ?

I guess my question would be.... If this shirt was to print, someone would look at it and say " Ohhh I love the WWII Poster propaganda usage here !! ??? NOT very disappointing use of wasted rules....BUT that is nothing new here....

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Brave New World (Not Black Edition)

Thanks for all of the support on this(these) design! I can't imagine it winning but it was worth designing just to see it appreciated.

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
deboraho wrote:CHICKFURKEY.....WHERE ARE YOU ??? Love me some original artwork !!

LOL!I could submit as a hybrid

deboraho

dawnao wrote:LOL!I could submit as a hybrid

lol.... yep !!

danieltobey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danieltobey
Re: Photosynthesis

Ooh, so pretty!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Social Science Networking

Love it !! send me 100's.... love the play on Social Networking too !! you rock

deboraho

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your world for awhile
Why wait any longer for the world to begin, again....

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

deboraho wrote:I guess my question would be.... If this shirt was to print, someone would look at it and say " Ohhh I love the WWII Poster propaganda usage here !! ??? NOT very disappointing use of wasted rules....BUT that is nothing new here....

I do not disagree with you. I do not see this design as evoking any classical propaganda style (it doesn't HAVE to be WW2, as far as I interpret it).

Of course, I am not too familiar with propaganda posters, as clarified on another entry, so it is quite possible--likely, even!--that this entry takes inspiration from a particular poster or classic propaganda style with which I am not familiar.

deboraho

goldenthorn wrote:I do not disagree with you.

I do not see this design as evoking any classical propaganda style (it doesn't HAVE to be WW2, as far as I interpret it).

Of course, I am not too familiar with propaganda posters, as clarified on another entry, so it is quite possible--likely, even!--that this entry takes inspiration from a particular poster or classic propaganda style with which I am not familiar.

You are absolutely right... however, I watch week after week of what I refer to as "rule breakers" . I am sure with any art form there is always a one of scenario, this group seems to abuse it more so then not. Please note, not everyone, you can look at the so called artwork and tell who is falling from grace....My issue is that WOOT cannot !

draco18s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages draco18s
Re: Birds Of Prey

Just a baby lizard.
[/Dino D-Day quote]

oakenspirit

quality posts: 93 Private Messages oakenspirit
Re: Photosynthesis

A few times a year, I wish I were a plant... This shirt has brought on one of those times...

grahamcrackercoyote

quality posts: 25 Private Messages grahamcrackercoyote
Re: Ornithology: Seize the Bird!

Very cute Rejectionator bait

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
deboraho wrote:Stay, lady, stay, stay with your world for awhile
Why wait any longer for the world to begin, again....

Awesome song. Ministry did a great cover song! And thanks for the vote !!!!

fishbiscuit5

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank

I was really happy about this weeks derby. I'm a huge fan of the art work from the 40's thru the 50's. Which led to the comicbook art style of today....

brownlady79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brownlady79
Re: The Gray Menace

I need this RIGHT NOW!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
goldenthorn wrote:You wound me, my dear. Aye, it is true, you have ferreted out the evil at the heart of my being: for all my genius, my vast founts of knowledge both common and esoteric, my extraordinarily kind yet keen wisdom and generosity of spirit... verily, there are shameful gaps even within this perfect-seeming core of being that is goldenthorn! Oy vey, indeed! *runs away sobbing and wailing and being all ashamed and embarrassed and rilly rilly silly*

The "oy vey" from my comment was, in large part, a response to what seems like a more enthusiastic effort to get entries disqualified. It is not surprising that someone used this poster for inspiration. I believe it was mentioned in the pre-derby thread.

If rules are broken or other works are genuinely plagiarized, then I'm all for that being pointed out. However, that wasn't the case here.

violetserenity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages violetserenity
Re: You Decide.

I want this!