+ Add a Comment

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
goldenthorn wrote:I do not disagree with you. I do not see this design as evoking any classical propaganda style (it doesn't HAVE to be WW2, as far as I interpret it).

Of course, I am not too familiar with propaganda posters, as clarified on another entry, so it is quite possible--likely, even!--that this entry takes inspiration from a particular poster or classic propaganda style with which I am not familiar.

In this thread, my comment was in direct response to your question. Nothing I said was incorrect. If someone goes to Google and looks up propaganda posters, even ones from WWII, it is possible to see a variety of styles. Yes, there are the vibrant, detailed end of the world designs. But then there are others that are a bit more subdued.

I am not an artist and there were times when the derby involved styled that I was not very familiar with. In those cases I either a) looked them up to learn more or b) opted not to comment on whether a design fit the derby's style requirement.

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
aerc712 wrote:In this thread, my comment was in direct response to your question. Nothing I said was incorrect. If someone goes to Google and looks up propaganda posters, even ones from WWII, it is possible to see a variety of styles. Yes, there are the vibrant, detailed end of the world designs. But then there are others that are a bit more subdued.

I am not an artist and there were times when the derby involved styled that I was not very familiar with. In those cases I either a) looked them up to learn more or b) opted not to comment on whether a design fit the derby's style requirement.

Kinda like doing an abstract Mona Lisa...?

aerc712

Re: Discover Aeronautics

Love it!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: You Decide.

This is the best design in this derby. It fits perfectly with the WW2 propaganda style !!! (you nailed it ) But i think it would work better if you changed the bottom tag line to "and become something else"

aerc712

deboraho wrote:Kinda like doing an abstract Mona Lisa...?

I'm not sure what this is referring to...

ETA - Everyone has a different POV and a different point of reference for the derbies. What one person likes another may not, one design may look familiar to someone and it may look original to someone else. The strong, negative reactions to certain designs and artists last week really bothered me and I'm sad to see that carry over into this week. That may be influencing my comments. If it is, well, I'm not sorry. I really respect the artists here and don't think they should get torn apart after working so hard on their designs.

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
aerc712 wrote:I'm not sure what this is referring to...

What I said about knowing certain art styles and not others?

My comment was referring to a style request and taking that request and doing something completely different... nothing to do with your knowledge.This all refers back to what I call the "rule breakers "

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

aerc712 wrote:what seems like a more enthusiastic effort to get entries disqualified... ... ...

Oh, dear. How very much you misinterpreted my initial post (and, I suspect, my queries in that other entry's thread in this derby)! That is quite unfortunate. Genuine questions with no ulterior motives other than a desire for elucidation and illumination, I assure you. Liberally doused with irreverance, an innate skepticism, and a tendency to exaggerate what I do and do not know, of course--that's probably what got you. Well, I am sorry for my communicating-badly mistakes! It's what happens with the voice I take when I don't consider my "audience."

manikx66

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manikx66

Great color choices +1

aerc712

deboraho wrote:My comment was referring to a style request and taking that request and doing something completely different... nothing to do with your knowledge.This all refers back to what I call the "rule breakers "

I think one overall issue with style-specific derbies is that people will have certain expectations and if those are not met, then the automatic reaction seems to be calling for the design's rejection.

aerc712

goldenthorn wrote:Oh, dear. How very much you misinterpreted my initial post (and, I suspect, my queries in that other entry's thread in this derby)! That is quite unfortunate. Genuine questions with no ulterior motives other than a desire for elucidation and illumination, I assure you. Liberally doused with irreverance, an innate skepticism, and a tendency to exaggerate what I do and do not know, of course--that's probably what got you. Well, I am sorry for my communicating-badly mistakes! It's what happens with the voice I take when I don't consider my "audience."

Ah, the classic forum response of "you misunderstood my tone."

ETA - It is used often, by many. At times, that's completely true. Not meant as a comment other than "you misunderstood me" is often mentioned on the forums.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

aerc712 wrote:Ah, the classic forum response of "you misunderstood my tone."

Sigh. No. If you have issues with me, I would appreciate you PM-ing me. Otherwise, I will leave this be now.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: A Science Mind

Did you mean for this wonderful design to be on Woot's pale, baby blue or this lovely bright blue which they don't carry?

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002
bluetuba wrote:I'll tell you what's blinding me. Keep Calm slogan shirts with just a tiny minor graphic element.

ARGH my eyes, it BURNS!

You knew that was coming though...

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
Re: Human Testing

This is awesome! Why is this not in the fog yet?

Although I don't like the strongly seperate rectangle. And yes, I know a poster form fits better to the theme. Still... it doesn't look that good.

Apart from that: AWESOME!

nimrond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nimrond
orabbit wrote:If you don't know, this is a real thing.

This scares the hell out of me. I don't want to live in a world where all our food is sterile and life is owned by the benevolent ubercorp. Vote in the name of real food!

I don't think we should stop inventing great stuff, just because our current laws and patents may turn that into the extortion of peasants or monopolistic corparations. Plants that potentially end world hunger, give us an renewable energy source without taking too much land away needed for food production or more efficient plants that help save the rain forest - endless possibilities!

But as always: With great power comes great responsability! :D

dwillars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwillars

Einstein!

Okiki

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Okiki

Really like this shirt

rachelor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rachelor

mrharmon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrharmon

Glad my evolution has inspired you.

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero
oakenspirit wrote:You have such an awesome style man.

I think cthulhu may summon the rejectionator though...

thanks a lot,i forgot the non pop culture rule :-(((

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
deboraho wrote:You are absolutely right... however, I watch week after week of what I refer to as "rule breakers" . I am sure with any art form there is always a one of scenario, this group seems to abuse it more so then not. Please note, not everyone, you can look at the so called artwork and tell who is falling from grace....My issue is that WOOT cannot !

Careful. They don't like you stating the obvious in here.

tomspc

aerc712 wrote:If rules are broken or other works are genuinely plagiarized, then I'm all for that being pointed out.

Glad to hear someone say that. I called out the great Ramyb on their obvious plagiarism but we'll see where that goes.

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

tomspc

lloyd2002 wrote:You knew that was coming though...

I think today that I will submit every science term I can think of on a "Keep Calm" shirt. I want to make everyone so sick of "Keep Calm" that we never have to see it in the Derby again. A dream I know.

tomspc

Re: You Decide.

I like this!

tomspc

Re: Human Testing

I like this. And I agree, remove the rectangle.

tomspc

Re: Social Science Networking

I like this! nice work

bernikids1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bernikids1

This is a really "bright" idea for a tee, but I wouldn't want to buy a fictional political tee with a modern date (especially 2012) on it. Otherwise I love it.

Re: United for Science

tomspc

Re: VIVA LA SCIENCE

Pop culture? Celebrity likeness?

tomspc

Re: A Science Mind

I agree, not crazy about the shirt color

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Better Badminten

Are you or were you a contributor at FightPassport.com? I found this drawing there with minor changes to the eyes, and without a badminton racket or shuttlecock? Woot only accepts original artwork that is not owned by someone else, so be sure you have permission from that site to use this, even if you are the original artist.

tomspc

tomspc

Re: Science Rules!

I like it

Merseine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Merseine
thorbahn3 wrote:Done. Check out V2 in the derby.

Voted - nice job!

charlottesumxs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlottesumxs
Re: Blonded by science...

Cute! I'd buy this one!

charlottesumxs

Re: Photosynthesis

Oh yes! Love it!

csvengoolie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages csvengoolie

This is my favorite design.

charlottesumxs

Re: Science Rules!

Simple, but true. And awesome!

purplefeather

quality posts: 8 Private Messages purplefeather
Re: United for Science

I agree, the date on this is really going to limit it's wearability for what, another month or so?