spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer

Yup, give that man an A in math.

dsb411

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsb411

Should be lower on the shirt.

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
thumperchick wrote:It's Charlie Brown's shirt! Get it?

I didn't. Thank you very much for explaining it!!!!!

Igannon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Igannon

EDIT:Someone doesn't know their sine functions. That should be y=3cos((x+0.7)*2)

Scratch that: TI-83 is giving me a different answer than Google. Looks like google is right though. Sorry if I sacred anybody.

Also, am I the only one that is missing the point? Inside joke?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

ddrirc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ddrirc
Igannon wrote:Someone doesn't know their sine functions. That should be y=3cos((x+0.7)*2)

Sin is odd, and therefore symmetric about the line y=x.

The math checks out.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3*sin%28%28x%2B.7%29*2%29

cos(x) = sin(x + pi/2)

in radians of course

MarlosTiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarlosTiger
spilzer wrote:Yup, give that man an A in math.

Nope, a B at best. The drawn curve is not vertically symmetrical around y = 0, so it should be something more like this.

y = 2.5 * sin( (x + 0.7) * 2 ) + 0.5

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

Shouldn't it be a triangle wave around the belly?

BigAssRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BigAssRat
ddrirc wrote:The math checks out.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3*sin%28%28x%2B.7%29*2%29

cos(x) = sin(x + pi/2)

Uhmmmm...not it doesn't, the shirt goes from 3 to -2. It should be from 3 to -3 on the Y axis.

pinothyj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pinothyj

That is some serious cryptomnesia in the write-up…

rebekahdejmal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rebekahdejmal
BigAssRat wrote:Uhmmmm...not it doesn't, the shirt goes from 3 to -2. It should be from 3 to -3 on the Y axis.

The peaks of the shirt are indeed lining up around +3, 0, and -3 like they should.

mmk1220

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmk1220

With no scale on the axes, pretty much any sine or cosine function here would work...as far as the amplitude and frequency goes. Chuck strikes me as a sin-with-a-phase-shift more than a cosine guy anyway.

Alternate Ending

Robtangle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages Robtangle

You guys keep trying to explain what the shirt means, but all I read is "Wah, wah wah, wah wah wah."

SciPunk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SciPunk

Should be "- .7", not "+ .7".

ger16

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ger16

aargh! Every post is causing calculus flashbacks. It's a nightmare!

sushisabnis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sushisabnis
rebekahdejmal wrote:The peaks of the shirt are indeed lining up around +3, 0, and -3 like they should.

They should be lining up around Y=+3 and Y=-3, because 3 is the amplitude in Y which affects it's height (in the y-direction). The previous comment is correct.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Great use of the lemon blank, which is solely underused! And now we know which woot shirt is being worn by the kid in the front row.

Great shirt, Nathan, very clever!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

Chuck's shirt did NOT have a sine wave. It had a zig-zag sharp-cornered symbol.

steve

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou
ger16 wrote:aargh! Every post is causing calculus flashbacks. It's a nightmare!

And, I got an "F" in calculus.

TWICE!

steve

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

I'm staying out of this except to say I see no numbers on those axes. For all we know those grid lines represent equal segments of 0.286.

Last math class I took was my third semester of calculus over 3! years ago. I'm studying engineering now, I haven't actually used stuff like sine functions in ages except when making nerdy comments on my friends' facebook walls.

It took me a moment but I totally saw the Charlie Brown shirt. Nice twist there.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

But I really DO enjoy antihero comic strips and math! The Woot writers know me so well.

In any case, thanks for keeping an eye on the symmetry, fellow wooters. Nice catch!

Now watch this and drift off to sleep after watching that crazy ending to the Seahawks-Packers game!

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal
Robtangle wrote:You guys keep trying to explain what the shirt means, but all I read is "Wah, wah wah, wah wah wah."

LOL!

Eucalyptus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eucalyptus

Nice to see a sinusoid, and nice color use. If someone draws a triangle wave, as per our friend Charles, and includes its Fourier decomposition via its harmonics, I'll buy two. Continuity didn't stop the universe, and it shouldn't stop us.

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006
ger16 wrote:aargh! Every post is causing calculus flashbacks. It's a nightmare!

This is trigonoetry

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester
spitfire6006006 wrote:

This is trigonoetry

As an English major, I am now able hop into the conversation by correcting your spelling:

trigonometry

garfield43

quality posts: 0 Private Messages garfield43

Anyone else hear Vince Guaraldi piano music and have a sudden craving for Zingers and other fine products from Dolly Madison?

sodalite

quality posts: 11 Private Messages sodalite
Igannon wrote:EDIT:Someone doesn't know their sine functions. That should be y=3cos((x+0.7)*2)

Scratch that: TI-83 is giving me a different answer than Google. Looks like google is right though. Sorry if I sacred anybody.

maybe you have to adjust some settings? i hate when that happens :\

deltanyne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deltanyne
safyrejet wrote:I'm staying out of this except to say I see no numbers on those axes. For all we know those grid lines represent equal segments of 0.286.

Last math class I took was my third semester of calculus over 3! years ago. I'm studying engineering now, I haven't actually used stuff like sine functions in ages except when making nerdy comments on my friends' facebook walls.

It took me a moment but I totally saw the Charlie Brown shirt. Nice twist there.

Um... What kind of engineering are you studying? Because, I'm an Electrical Engineering student and we use that sine function stuff ALL the time.

deltanyne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deltanyne
Eucalyptus wrote:Nice to see a sinusoid, and nice color use. If someone draws a triangle wave, as per our friend Charles, and includes its Fourier decomposition via its harmonics, I'll buy two. Continuity didn't stop the universe, and it shouldn't stop us.

Agreed!

sgtgreeneusmc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc
bluejester wrote:As an English major, I am now able hop into the conversation by correcting your spelling:

trigonometry

As an history major (and yes, "an" is correct even though I disagree with its use), I can now join the conversation by correcting your grammar: "...I am now able to..." or "...I am able now to..."

eifiji20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eifiji20
sgtgreeneusmc wrote:As an history major (and yes, "an" is correct even though I disagree with its use), I can now join the conversation by correcting your grammar: "...I am now able to..." or "...I am able now to..."

http://editingandwritingservices.com/a-or-an-before-words-beginning-with-h/ would disagree, sort of. I'm pretty indifferent on this one.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

As an insomniac, I would like to mention that my grammar needs correcting from time to time as much as the next guy.

Or in Peanuts terms: "Waaah Wah Waaaah, Wah Wah."

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada
bluejester wrote:As an English major, I am now able hop into the conversation by correcting your spelling:

trigonometry

But if he's correcting someone's mistake, shouldn't it be trigowrongometry?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Darn Nathan, you're like a clever idea factory. What a cool shirt.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

First shirt I have seen on here where maybe,just maybe I could, with practice,replicate the artwork. Cool shirt.

MathUhhhSaurus

quality posts: 58 Private Messages MathUhhhSaurus

couldn't you just say this was a cosine wave instead of a sine wave with a phase shift?

Examine Bindle of Carrots.
What Bindle of Carrots?

mykexyz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mykexyz

Sure, with no scale, technically any sine or cosine function works. However, it is pretty misleading to have a standard Cartesian plane with standard looking axes in bold but then draw the function such that the x axis could not be where y = 0.

It is misleading enough that I believe most people would think this is an error.

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Wow. Lots of math blockheads today. Here, allow me to hold this football for you...