mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Who will be the Guest Editor this week?

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

Damn! Back to the drawing board

plainyoghurt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plainyoghurt
rglee129 wrote:@Wileet and Orabiit- Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Note is officially out. And good call on bass and treble, Wileet. I'll probably put those in. Thanks!

@Icy13- Dang! thanks for the great crit. Like I said, the note is out and the bass/treble s most likely in. I've played with getting the text to look more naturally on the surface, but haven't found a way to do it yet without sacrificing legibility. I just downloaded a good DYMO font, so we'll see how that goes. I'll try to tweak alignment, too. Thanks again for taking the time to write such a thoughtful crit.

As for voices, Jones and Shatner stay. But the middle one... I don't like Prowse b/c it doesn't make sense as a voice option. Maybe a proxy or stunt double. Perhaps a doppelganger for public appearances... But for a voice I was thinking:

J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

With the blank being one of the following:

G. Gottfried
R. Moranis (but are 2 Spaceballs references one too many?)
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

Any feedback is much appreciated, Icy13 and others???? Thanks!

P.W. Herman?

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
orabbit wrote:Is this too ugly to be funny? I haven't done the hands or book covers yet. Any thoughts?

Source image, if you haven't seen it:

...and if that was your daughter? Public ridicule is so cool!

flemtone

quality posts: 6 Private Messages flemtone
rglee129 wrote:
J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

G. Gottfried
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

Chad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGR4-SeuJ0

dawnao

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnao
toby8915 wrote:Tie Fighters

I like this

diogenesl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diogenesl

Not sure if it fits the rules, but one idea: An alien bursting from a chest...

Looking forward to international shipping on Woot!

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Still working on this but would appreciate opinion on whether the hole should be black or white.

atlanticavenue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atlanticavenue
DJTweekNYC wrote:All done I guess. This is "Re: Your Brains"

My co-worker & I have just recently discovered that song & scream out "Yay!" every time pandora decides to play it. We LOVE this shirt & definitely will be voting for it!! Fantastic

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
flemtone wrote:...and if that was your daughter? Public ridicule is so cool!

The girl in the photo was just goofing around, 17 years ago. Turns out she was an awesome athlete - played football and such. Anyway, these things aren't about a specific person, just an archetype.

odysseyroc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc
PixelPants wrote:Still working on this but would appreciate opinion on whether the hole should be black or white.

Nice work! I had this on my list of ideas,but wouldn't have time to get to it.

Make the hole black.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Too bad front and back designs aren't an option.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

odysseyroc

I thought it would be funny to dress as breakfast for halloween.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
PixelPants wrote:Still working on this but would appreciate opinion on whether the hole should be black or white.

I like the black hole best!

Mavyn

diogenesl wrote:Not sure if it fits the rules, but one idea: An alien bursting from a chest...

Not sure how one would avoid 'similar shirts exist' on that idea.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
odysseyroc wrote:I thought it would be funny to dress as breakfast for halloween.

Needs a plate or something.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
rglee129 wrote:@J5, I can def see that interpretation. Hopefully this spin on it will stand out since it's commentary about how un-scary DV is, not just a "look like Darth Vader" shirt (of which there others).

Between the hammy writing (Nooooooo!) and the irresponsible merchandising (my nephew has a stuffed Vader he used to sleep with!), they really made Vader pretty ridiculous, and more of a joke then the scary murderer he was way back in the day. That's the idea, anyways.

Yeah, I totally get that, but it's very close to the line. I think it's awesome, but I wouldn't buy it because I like my T-shirt designs with no less than a "5-foot interface". If you have to be within 2 feet to see the joke, it fails (in my opinion). From 5+ feet away, this is just another Vader shirt.

move along

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
toby8915 wrote:Tie Fighters

Cool idea, but those look like gradients on the tie. Provide a detail inset showing halftoning for the entry to be on the safe side.

@Robbie: love the idea, the font needs to change though. It looks too flat.

@rasabi: good idea, do it!

@Seed: awesome idea, love it!

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain

Here's what I'm going with

odysseyroc

Turns out, this derby is more fun than the actual real work I'm supposed to be doing.

wootvan

quality posts: 62 Private Messages wootvan

maybe the doughnut could be over a cup of coffee...

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
@Icy13- Dang! thanks for the great crit. Like I said, the note is out and the bass/treble s most likely in. I've played with getting the text to look more naturally on the surface, but haven't found a way to do it yet without sacrificing legibility. I just downloaded a good DYMO font, so we'll see how that goes. I'll try to tweak alignment, too. Thanks again for taking the time to write such a thoughtful crit.

As for voices, Jones and Shatner stay. But the middle one... I don't like Prowse b/c it doesn't make sense as a voice option. Maybe a proxy or stunt double. Perhaps a doppelganger for public appearances... But for a voice I was thinking:

J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

G. Gottfried
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

I would still say prowse since he did actually say all of the lines (except "I am your father" but that is another story)

Yes.
I am that big of a Star Wars nerd.

Anyway, I think having a D. Prowse option would hit the hard core SW fans.

On a completely different tact, maybe go M. Reynolds? or P. Stewart since he has a rather distinct SciFi voice?

Still Prowse would be great since he did mutter every line of dialogue through the suit In a silly british accent none the less!

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba
odysseyroc wrote:Turns out, this derby is more fun than the actual real work I'm supposed to be doing.

Heh, that made me laugh and I don't like penguins!

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915
citizencoyote wrote:Cool idea, but those look like gradients on the tie. Provide a detail inset showing halftoning for the entry to be on the safe side.

@Robbie: love the idea, the font needs to change though. It looks too flat.

@rasabi: good idea, do it!

@Seed: awesome idea, love it!

Those are halftones...I'm gonna post the detail tonight.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
wootvan wrote:maybe the doughnut could be over a cup of coffee...

That's a nice idea. I'm trying to keep this simple, as though the chocolate icing continues across the shirt.
Thanks for the help, and to Odysseyroc, Mavyn and Autsey as well. The black whole won as it created better depth and seemed to suit a wider range of situations.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 209 Private Messages Spiritgreen
odysseyroc wrote:Turns out, this derby is more fun than the actual real work I'm supposed to be doing.

Ha! I can definitely see this printing. Followed by lines of people wearing this t-shirt with their arms folded behind their backs. :^)

---

@PixelPants, glad the black hole won. Looks great!

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad
neuropsychosocial wrote:This is - honest to goodness, with a great deal of respect for all of you - the only design posted so far that I "get" (and I laughed). Woot seems to avoid religious iconography - is the cross sufficiently removed from a religious context that the Rejectionator won't mind it? (I don't find it at all offensive, but I do find Tuesday afternoon visits from the Rejectionator offensive, so I thought I'd bring it up in advance.)

Thanks for catching that! I changed it in the one I'll be submitting.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

I'm working on this. It's just the basic outline at this point:

It's a pirate zombie robot ninja costume... if you couldn't tell. I'm going to color the zombie bite so it is obvious and I'll make the clothes look all ragged. If anyone has any other ideas about how to add more zombie element, that would be sweet.

azurefae

quality posts: 0 Private Messages azurefae

I saw the doctor... but who is going to make a TARDIS shirt on blue. Would be super easy and I would totally buy it.

*has no actual skill to make things herself*

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mjc613 wrote:Who will be the Guest Editor this week?

Who was last week?

hmmmmmm?

move along

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

Hi!
This is my submission to the contest, what do you think about it??

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/66342/autopsy

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 83 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Is it my imagination or don't quite a few of those submissions contain "elements from pop culture." There are Star Wars, Avengers, Alien, etc all over the submissions.

I don't know.

capnshiner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capnshiner

It's too bad we can't utilize the entire shirt for the design. An NFL replacement referee shirt would be hilarious.

amirea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amirea

I'm such a sucker for these types of shirts, I seriously want just about every one haha.

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
mjc613 wrote:Hoping someone comes up with a shirt that a kid could use. Would save my sisters-in-law much anguish to just throw a shirt on a kid. Most ideas from the last derby were too complicated to explain to a child, unfortunately.

here you go... http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/66445/rawr-im-a-dinosaur

your comment inspired me.
what kid doesn't like dinosaurs?

Mavyn

So...how about all those 'similar shirts exist' rejections?

Sigh. Inconsistency is one of the saddest woot habits. Really.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit

Was out of town all weekend so I had to sit this one out...

Guess you won't get my GOBLIN MECH idea...

Such cool designs this week though!

zulahni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zulahni
DJTweekNYC wrote:All done I guess. This is "Re: Your Brains"

I absolutely need one of these, in a ladies cut. Pleeeeeease make it happen!

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 83 Private Messages Thirdbase9
Mavyn wrote:So...how about all those 'similar shirts exist' rejections?

Sigh. Inconsistency is one of the saddest woot habits. Really.

Between the similar shirts exists, and the rampant use of elements of pop culture this week, I sometimes wonder why WOOT even lists rules.

I don't know.