WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You don't want people at the Halloween party making fun of you for not dressing in costume - but then you don't want some crazy getup cramping your sartorial style. What to do? Follow the lead of those who have walked this path before, including us: don a costume t-shirt.

This week's Derby asks you to make the most of a small canvas, to create the t-shirt whose imaginative power radiates outward to transform its wearer completely. Or just make something funny enough to get the costume Nazis off your back, whatever.

• No insignias, logos, or specific design elements from pop culture. No Bat-symbol, no Star Trek patches. Superhero or space elements of your own creation would be fine.
  • Incidental text only. A nametag or logo is fine as one element of a larger design. "This Shirt Is My Pirate Costume" is not.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Can someone clarify the pop culture bit? Would this shirt from last time fly?

DJTweekNYC

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DJTweekNYC
orabbit wrote:Can someone clarify the pop culture bit? Would this shirt from last time fly?

I think it would be fine There is no Triforce logo. It's up to the viewer to make the connection between that and Link.

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
DJTweekNYC wrote:I think it would be fine There is no Triforce logo. It's up to the viewer to make the connection between that and Link.

When I was writing up the rules for this one, the Shirt folks specifically said "A shirt with Link's insignia would not be OK, but an elf shirt that just looks like Link's would be OK."

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

so a Daryl Dixon Zombie ear necklace would be Ok? It's basically just nothing iconically pop culture?

DJTweekNYC

Rough ball-point doodle, but I wanted to solidify this idea before anyone else had the same:

I want to capture the costume of the zombie office worker "Bob" from the Jonathan Coulton song "Re:Your Brains" one of my favorite songs of the season, or songs period. I just worry about being too gory for the Woot audience, but I'm gonna go forward with this idea.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

I have an idea that isn't fox related! :P Hyper realistic bomb, possibly clockwork/steampunk style. The type where someone can open up their fancy vest and pretend to have a bomb strapped to themselves.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
TobiasAmaranth wrote:I have an idea that isn't fox related! :P Hyper realistic bomb, possibly clockwork style. The type where someone can open up their fancy vest and pretend to have a bomb strapped to themselves.

...and wear that to an airport... jk

DianaSprinkle

quality posts: 116 Private Messages DianaSprinkle
TobiasAmaranth wrote:I have an idea that isn't fox related! :P Hyper realistic bomb, possibly clockwork style. The type where someone can open up their fancy vest and pretend to have a bomb strapped to themselves.

That's a shirt that won't fly... on a plane, hur hur.

DJTweekNYC

"It's not a bomb... these are just road flares."

"Road flares?! Son, did you grow up under powerlines?"

speedlazer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages speedlazer
beware1984 wrote:so a Daryl Dixon Zombie ear necklace would be Ok? It's basically just nothing iconically pop culture?

http://6dollarshirts.com/t-shirts/Daryls-Necklace-T-Shirt-p-12013.html

Like this? Still, an awesome and very wearable idea.

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
DJTweekNYC wrote:I think it would be fine There is no Triforce logo. It's up to the viewer to make the connection between that and Link.

But wouldn't one argue that "similar shirts exist" might be a source of rejection in its own right, correct?

orabbit

SkekTek wrote:But wouldn't one argue that "similar shirts exist" might be a source of rejection in its own right, correct?

It would be so easy to do any Star Wars character, or a Ninja turtle, or Dr. Who scarf, but have they all been done already? I, too, fear the "similar shirts exist" .

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Hoping someone comes up with a shirt that a kid could use. Would save my sisters-in-law much anguish to just throw a shirt on a kid. Most ideas from the last derby were too complicated to explain to a child, unfortunately.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

Here's something I've been working on. I'm thinking the title could be something like "Sith Armor with Labels" Any ideas for labels are more than welcome!

rglee129

Also, I've been playing with the idea of including a note, like this:

Thanks for any feedback!

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I'll be submitting, though the title might change:

Vampire Hunter by Ape Lad, on Flickr

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist
mjc613 wrote:Hoping someone comes up with a shirt that a kid could use. Would save my sisters-in-law much anguish to just throw a shirt on a kid. Most ideas from the last derby were too complicated to explain to a child, unfortunately.

you know what... you make a good point. but what kind of shirt would kids like besides superheroes?
*lightblub*
I GOT IT!!! XD

orabbit

rglee129 wrote:Also, I've been playing with the idea of including a note, like this:

Thanks for any feedback!

I quit! Looks great, and so many funny bits. Probably doesn't need the note.

willeet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages willeet
rglee129 wrote:Also, I've been playing with the idea of including a note, like this:

Thanks for any feedback!

I like it better without the note. As for other labels, what about Bass & Treble for the silver bars on each side of the chest piece there? Maybe move the middle rivets or whatever they are to different positions so it looks like they're moveable?

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13

Thanks for any feedback!

So, AWESOME idea, but a few tweaks to make it look like actual 'professional' control panel naming.

1. No to abbreviations on names. Either just last names (Jones, Olmos, Shatner). I like the ! on shatner, but the initials gotta go as do the parentheses.

2. No note, the costume is "Darth Vader" not "Darth Vader's Armor", yeah?

3. Fiddle with the spacing/alignment on the belt buttons so it fits nicely on the button. Especially the green buttons.

4. I would make the central button just "Imperial March" (unless that could be a tm or cc problem). If it is tm/cc, then just "theme music"

5. I like the slider ideas for the sides. Treble and Bass would work, maybe something else?

6. Maybe change olmos to Prowse? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Prowse

7. No(oooooooooo!) note, please

8. Maybe play with the text to make it look raised or engraved? Or do it all in dymo?? Looks a little too CGI at the moment, which I know it is, but it doesn't have to be

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Go to party as internet. Much laughs. Maybe.

I'd like to make it look like it's done in sharpie, something someone would throw together. Thus the white shirt.

Someone tell me this is a bad idea and I'll move on with my life.

orabbit

Is this too ugly to be funny? I haven't done the hands or book covers yet. Any thoughts?

Source image, if you haven't seen it:

DJTweekNYC

All done I guess. This is "Re: Your Brains"

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
orabbit wrote:Is this too ugly to be funny? I haven't done the hands or book covers yet. Any thoughts?

Source image, if you haven't seen it:

ER...MAH...GERD

shaggster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shaggster

someone should do a costume about the replacement refs!

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
orabbit wrote:Can someone clarify the pop culture bit? Would this shirt from last time fly?

I think you'll get hit with similar shirts exist on this.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
shaggster wrote:someone should do a costume about the replacement refs!

A different take on the "I'm with stupid" idea. ;)

Good luck artists!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
rasabi wrote:Go to party as internet. Much laughs. Maybe.

I'd like to make it look like it's done in sharpie, something someone would throw together. Thus the white shirt.

I really like the idea of having a white shirt and making it look like someone just drew something in sharpie. There's just a whole lotta stuff going on in this design...perhaps focus in on one element. Some of the text stands out and seems to go against the drawn by Sharpie at the last minute vibe.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
ApeLad wrote:Here's what I'll be submitting, though the title might change:

Vampire Hunter by Ape Lad, on Flickr

This is - honest to goodness, with a great deal of respect for all of you - the only design posted so far that I "get" (and I laughed). Woot seems to avoid religious iconography - is the cross sufficiently removed from a religious context that the Rejectionator won't mind it? (I don't find it at all offensive, but I do find Tuesday afternoon visits from the Rejectionator offensive, so I thought I'd bring it up in advance.)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
tjost wrote:I think you'll get hit with similar shirts exist on this.

So would Robbie, TBH.

move along

rglee129

Icy13 wrote:So, AWESOME idea, but a few tweaks to make it look like actual 'professional' control panel naming.

1. No to abbreviations on names. Either just last names (Jones, Olmos, Shatner). I like the ! on shatner, but the initials gotta go as do the parentheses.

2. No note, the costume is "Darth Vader" not "Darth Vader's Armor", yeah?

3. Fiddle with the spacing/alignment on the belt buttons so it fits nicely on the button. Especially the green buttons.

4. I would make the central button just "Imperial March" (unless that could be a tm or cc problem). If it is tm/cc, then just "theme music"

5. I like the slider ideas for the sides. Treble and Bass would work, maybe something else?

6. Maybe change olmos to Prowse? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Prowse

7. No(oooooooooo!) note, please

8. Maybe play with the text to make it look raised or engraved? Or do it all in dymo?? Looks a little too CGI at the moment, which I know it is, but it doesn't have to be

@Wileet and Orabiit- Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Note is officially out. And good call on bass and treble, Wileet. I'll probably put those in. Thanks!

@Icy13- Dang! thanks for the great crit. Like I said, the note is out and the bass/treble s most likely in. I've played with getting the text to look more naturally on the surface, but haven't found a way to do it yet without sacrificing legibility. I just downloaded a good DYMO font, so we'll see how that goes. I'll try to tweak alignment, too. Thanks again for taking the time to write such a thoughtful crit.

As for voices, Jones and Shatner stay. But the middle one... I don't like Prowse b/c it doesn't make sense as a voice option. Maybe a proxy or stunt double. Perhaps a doppelganger for public appearances... But for a voice I was thinking:

J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

With the blank being one of the following:

G. Gottfried
R. Moranis (but are 2 Spaceballs references one too many?)
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

Any feedback is much appreciated, Icy13 and others???? Thanks!

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Excellent, if anything my style wins I'll have a cosplay for New york Comic Con!

rglee129

j5 wrote:So would Robbie, TBH.

@J5, I can def see that interpretation. Hopefully this spin on it will stand out since it's commentary about how un-scary DV is, not just a "look like Darth Vader" shirt (of which there others).

Between the hammy writing (Nooooooo!) and the irresponsible merchandising (my nephew has a stuffed Vader he used to sleep with!), they really made Vader pretty ridiculous, and more of a joke then the scary murderer he was way back in the day. That's the idea, anyways.

orabbit

rglee129 wrote:
As for voices, Jones and Shatner stay. But the middle one... I don't like Prowse b/c it doesn't make sense as a voice option. Maybe a proxy or stunt double. Perhaps a doppelganger for public appearances... But for a voice I was thinking:

J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

G. Gottfried
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

What about Don LaFontaine? I'm not sure if his name is household enough, but his voice sure is.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
rglee129 wrote:

J.E. Jones (default)
______
Shatner!

G. Gottfried
J. Rabbit
T. Waits

I would truly love to hear Darth Vader with Tom Waits' voice. Or maybe Barry White's?

rglee129

orabbit wrote:What about Don LaFontaine? I'm not sure if his name is household enough, but his voice sure is.

Hey, that's a good one! I had to google him, but once I did it's a pretty funny option.

edit:
@cdrewlow Yes to Barry White. Ha ha ha!

qetza

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza

Here's one idea - Not sure if it's been done...

edit: nevermind...this one's all text

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain

It's been a long time since I designed something, but I had to throw my hat in the ring for this one. Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome.

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

Tie Fighters