aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Oy, what started with two very adorable animals ended with shenanigans and yet another political clusterf**k. Oof. This is why I've gone from discussing politics (elsewhere) to keeping my thoughts to myself.

This election season (and every one), people are entitled to their opinion and shouting at them will do nothing. Be glad that people care and are going to vote. Be glad that you're free to rant and rave and vote.

That said, really wish Woot hadn't gone with 2 different shirts and set this up to be polarizing. Having the elephant and donkey together probably would've been a better option. Oh well.

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD

Changed my mind...the concept is interesting, but upon closer look, I just think there's something missing in the art - as per usual with RamyB :/

bassanimation

quality posts: 98 Private Messages bassanimation
Reclaimer456 wrote:Some states have laws prohibiting campaigning at polling places (I know California does) so I'd suggest not wearing anything remotely political to a polling place. I've never seen or heard of anyone being stopped because of it, but you don't want to antagonize the people manning the polls.

I do know about that, but thanks for the reminder. I'd caution anyone to not pimp your party of choice at the polling stations. Just askin' for trouble.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

I'm throwing in another vote for a shirt with both of these little cuties on it

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
aerc712 wrote:That said, really wish Woot hadn't gone with 2 different shirts and set this up to be polarizing. Having the elephant and donkey together probably would've been a better option. Oh well.

Having something, I dunno, relevant would have been nice. We just had a propaganda derby, why not some gung ho Arrrrrr! YEAH AMERICA!! REPUBLICANS AND DEMOCRATS!!!!! or something in a politicial cartoon style, or whatever if Woot wanted to do a politics thing.

Japanese chibi animals printed on a South American tee shirt is laughably awful.

gds

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gds
penguincharmer wrote:Sounds like one of the sheep talking. "You can't change the two party system. Just deal with it."

We are stuck in a two party system because people have this type of mentality.

We are in a two party system because the majority of people fall somewhere in there.
I am mostly libertarian (I don't care for pot and most pot smokers), but vote mostly republican since I know third parties aren't popular enough to win.

erinbalsamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinbalsamo

Independent is not half half.

eholling wrote:There's always this one:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/independenceindependents

kadsworld

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kadsworld

I'd like both of them on one shirt, but locked in a death match with chain saws, and knives, and blood splattering everywhere.

Get on that, Ramyb. ;-)

erinbalsamo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinbalsamo

I want my cute Libertarian shirt too WE are the fastest growing party in America (at least according to my personal observations)

SeraphSix wrote:Where's my Libertarian shirt? Left out like my candidate gets left out in the media :'(

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

The main two parties have the elephant and donkey. I think the number one factor keeping the libertarians from success is their lack of an animal mascot.

bluetuba

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bluetuba
alanhwoot wrote:The main two parties have the elephant and donkey. I think the number one factor keeping the libertarians from success is their lack of an animal mascot.

Too bad nobodies ever thought of that before!

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with the hundreds of millions of dollars thrown around by the other 2 parties.

prfasel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages prfasel

how about NoBody for President, because NoBody Knows all the answers... or NOBody tells the truth ... Nobody loves the poor... Nobody will lower taxes...

fishshapedethylbenzene

quality posts: 3 Private Messages fishshapedethylbenzene

Add me to the ones who want to see the final sales numbers. I suspect that one party will greatly outsell the other. I expect that wooters are evenly divided politically, but if my circle of friends is a representative sample, I know which party puts a higher value on whimsy. ^_^

devium

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devium
TheXBritish wrote:It's great that people have different politic beliefs, but the U.S. is a two-party system. If you're a third party, you just have to line up with whichever candidate you agree with the most. Or not vote. But you should always vote. ALWAYS.

I wasn't meant to be a two party system. Political representatives should adequately represent the views of the populace. I think there are more then just two views.

Also, it is possible to vote for other people then dems or reps.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
sjt2115 wrote:And you'll notice that most of those Dems who voted against it switched and are now Republicans and their former districts and states are now deep red, and vice versa. All those Dixiecrats traded in their donkey buttons for elephant pins. Same old "states rights" rhetoric, new team labels, which is where we get the modern GOP.

LBJ was wrong when he said "We have lost the South for a generation" as a result of him (a Dem) pushing for and signing the act. Turns out it was multiple generations.

Bravo,you nailed it.It's always good to use facts in a response,it just drives people crazy.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
aerc712 wrote:Be glad that you're free to rant and rave and vote.

That Americans have the freedom to do this is one of my favorite things about the United States.

That said, really wish Woot hadn't gone with 2 different shirts and set this up to be polarizing. Having the elephant and donkey together probably would've been a better option. Oh well.

Woot did a similar thing four years with Bleeding Heart Liberal/Wingnut Conservative, so this almost appears to be woot tradition, if a five-year old website can have quadrennial traditions! [In 2010, they did Vote Yes on No for the "off"-year elections (or for the Rally for Sanity!)].

I really like your idea of having the donkey and elephant - who are truly adorable and very patriotic - together on one shirt. As others have said, obviously it should be on a purple shirt.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial

fishshapedethylbenzene wrote:Add me to the ones who want to see the final sales numbers.

The shirt.woot Number Nerds won't be able to provide a breakdown of the sales numbers between red and blue shirts; assuming woot follows precedent, the sales number that will post at midnight will be for both shirts together, so woot would have to provide the breakdown.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
jeremytheindian wrote:

This is pretty relevant.

as is this:

move along

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
neuropsychosocial wrote:Woot did a similar thing four years with Bleeding Heart Liberal/Wingnut Conservative, so this almost appears to be woot tradition, if a five-year old website can have quadrennial traditions! [In 2010, they did Vote Yes on No for the "off"-year elections (or for the Rally for Sanity!)].

I really like your idea of having the donkey and elephant - who are truly adorable and very patriotic - together on one shirt. As others have said, obviously it should be on a purple shirt.

Ah, I was unaware of the previous 2 political shirts on one day happenings. Was unaware of the humorous world of woot shirts at that point. Thanks for the info on that.

Just to give (partial) credit where credit's due - there were a few earlier remarks about having both animals on one shirt. Some variations, but I frankly don't want to read through everything again to figure out who said what.

That Americans have the freedom to do this is one of my favorite things about the United States.

Wherever someone falls on the spectrum of American politics, be glad that you can rant and rave and say almost whatever you want (minus things that will get scary guys and gals in suits investigating you). No one's perfect, there's issues all over the place, everyone has their own things going on influencing their political perspective, but can we at least agree that certain animals are just darn cute? Let's get along for the cute animals. And the kids. ;)

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bluetuba wrote:Too bad nobodies ever thought of that before!

I'm sure it's got nothing to do with the hundreds of millions of dollars thrown around by the other 2 parties.

"I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those dreaded Democrats and Republicans!!!"

cappo

quality posts: 26 Private Messages cappo
jesssup wrote:So, it appears that the GOP elephant is waving his flag proudly while the DEM donkey is chewing his up. Not so subtle symbolism, I think.

The symbolism of an elephant has a trunk and a donkey doesn't?

michaelvella

quality posts: 12 Private Messages michaelvella

Eh, I've seen more arguing twixt the Mac/PC dorks.
Put me down for blue shirt, BTW.

cappo

cleverconveyence wrote:Are you
-white?
-straight?
-a child of a family in middle class or upper-middle class?
-male?

If you're at least 3 of these things, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cause even the ones that live on the street are privileged... because someone else says so.

cappo

gds wrote:We are in a two party system because the majority of people fall somewhere in there.
I am mostly libertarian (I don't care for pot and most pot smokers), but vote mostly republican since I know third parties aren't popular enough to win.

Do the majority of people fall somewhere in there, or do the majority of people "know third parties aren't popular enough to win" and vote for the two-party duopoly?

They can't win because you don't vote for them because they can't win.

Circular logic and self-fulfilling prophesy, but it keeps the two-party system in power.

Think about it.

jeanerz13

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jeanerz13
rhycochet wrote:...think i've found the perfect casual friday shirt for october.

You think you'll get it this month? You must be paying for overnight shipping.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
jeanerz13 wrote:You think you'll get it this month? You must be paying for overnight shipping.

Shipping is a lot faster than it was in the old days. Maybe it's Amazon's involvement?

djkid1974

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djkid1974

WOW it really looks like Wyoming is abstaining on this one! lol

blonderepublic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blonderepublic

Why is the elephant blue? Seems to lean a little lefty in here! DISCLAIMER: IDGAF POLITICAL PARTIES LOL NOT BUYING EITHER!

TheXBritish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheXBritish
TheXBritish wrote:It's great that people have different politic beliefs, but the U.S. is a two-party system. If you're a third party, you just have to line up with whichever candidate you agree with the most. Or not vote. But you should always vote. ALWAYS.

I see some people are frustrated with my comment and I understand why, but I speak from a purely historical point of view. The U.S. operates on a winner-take-all system. Because of this, candidates within the two major parties tend to get the majority of the votes, because trying to vote for a smaller third party has little to no impact. This is not to say that third parties aren't important, they most definitely are. Many times, issues and movements of third parties are absorbed into the major parties, and sometimes even replace one of the major parties (Whig Party replaced by the Republican Party and so on).

And the reason I emphasized voting is because it is better to express your views and make an impact. When it comes to local government, there are often more than two options, and the issues change depending on geographic location. Local candidates are more likely to reflect your own personal views. But no candidate will ever completely line up with your philosophy (unless your views line up exactly with a party's platform).

teacookie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages teacookie

I want a purple shirt with a elephant and mule crossbreed on it please, also a bunch of peanuts in a trail.

penguincharmer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages penguincharmer
gds wrote:We are in a two party system because the majority of people fall somewhere in there.

How do you expect third parties to win with that mentality. So many people disqualify libertarians just because they don't think it has a possibility of winning. If all those people not only stood up for what they preferred but promoted their preference there might be something more than republican or democrat.

Stand up for what you believe in even if you don't win. It will be the beginning of change. I do happen to be libertarian. I voted for Bob Barr 4 years ago (a weak libertarian candidate but stronger than my other choices). This year I will most likely write in Ron Paul even though I could vote Gary Johnson.

Although I am a libertarian, I am just fed up with a 2 party system and 2 terrible choices for president. I don't want Romney or Obama. I don't care if it's libertarian, but I think there needs to be more parties and a political system that isn't controlled by money and donations.

vwoom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwoom

Woot should have made a One Party (or a spread Eagle wings bird) of Democrat on one wing...and Republicans the other wing.

America is under a One Party rule, btw (no difference between the two). Just a left and right faction.

Now that shirt would be some statement...

I might write in Ron Paul (if counted officially in CA)...if not , Gary Johnson.

libetev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages libetev
hanuman3 wrote:Might be fun to buy both, and wear them alternating weeks. Then:
1) You would truly be undecided
2) You could feel the hate and ridicule of both sides
3) You can embrace all Americans
4) You can hide that you're really Canadian.

Or take the backs off of both and sew the fronts together.

gcollette

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcollette

Would love to buy one of these, but the designs seem targeted at a pre-legal voting age crowd...to cutesy to wear without feeling self-conscious about what the adorable donkey and elephant are saying about me. Could someone design another with more mature animals?

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot:
1m 50.223s
First Sucker:
beldenben
Last Wooter to Woot:
mmarkie
Last Purchase:
a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold:

First day sales 1027 total
No breakdown on the shirts

neuropsychosocial

TheGolux wrote:
No breakdown on the shirts

The Electoral College is required for that.

cleverconveyence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cleverconveyence
srac911 wrote:You just don't like the fact that I'm not what you have assumed that I am. Isn't that too bad?

Shortsighted with an absolutely unwarranted sense of superiority? On the contrary, you're still exactly what I assume.

I have met scores of libertarians on the internet and in person. Only one of them met only 3 of those 4 criteria, and I'd say about 90% of them fit ALL of them. If you're a female minority or a lower-income gay man or any combination of 2 of those 4 criteria you would be literally the first I have ever talked to that identifies as Libertarian in the decade or so I have been politically active, so you'll have to forgive my leap of logic.

Past experience has left me very skeptical of anyone that thinks RP or GJ would be anything better than a complete disaster financially and socially because most of those people wouldn't have to suffer the consequences of state-sponsored discriminat--I'm sorry, "state's rights."

Number of shirt.woots in 08: 23 (not counting randoms and shirts bought for friends)
number of shirt.woots in 09: 2 (same criteria)

absolutgoddess69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages absolutgoddess69

I can't speak for all republicans, but I just bought one. Super cute shirt!

kaveman909 wrote:Somehow I can't imagine many republicans purchasing Woot tees... but I could be wrong

oraclelink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oraclelink

Shoot! I missed it while it was still $12... Speaking of which, how does one go about purchasing one of these? I can't find the option to choose one or the other and it won't let me check out until I pick one...

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

oraclelink wrote:Shoot! I missed it while it was still $12... Speaking of which, how does one go about purchasing one of these? I can't find the option to choose one or the other and it won't let me check out until I pick one...

hmmm. i see what you mean - i ran into the same issue. not sure if it's something i'm doing wrong, or...?

i've inquired about this. we'll keep you posted!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.