mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Last week turned out about the way I thought, but not terribly exciting for me either. It appears that Dinosaurs may be the new cute animals. I guess it's a step up.

Not really sure what to do this week. As far as I'm concerned Human Centipede is the only really awesome design. In fact I think they should just print it three days in a row because what else could you pick?

Unfortunately, they decided to reject it. It's probably relevant that I think the "shirt as a costume" idea is terrible. One, it never looks good. Two, it doesn't even have a chance to look good with woot's printing area. As far as I'm concerned if you're not belt printing you might as well not even bother.

That said I have to pick something, so the only real choices are ones where the full shirt is part of the design (exploding out of the shirt designs basically). The only one I like is this one:

Be an apple by qetza

Simple, clean, and the shirt is part of the design. The design has no boundaries and I really like that. There is a resub to change the placement so it doesn't look like the worm is emerging out of women's breasts. I not in agreement that it's a better choice because a worm emerging out of the breast makes the shirt that much cooler. Also, the other one is seriously awkwardly placed. I wouldn't want to walk around with a worm penis either.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I don't know about all that. I think expo01 did a stellar job with his entry this week
The use of black complements the design perfectly so that the "gloss" of leather looks natural and there is no jarring effect where the design abruptly ends. As "t-shirt as a costume" goes, it is spot on.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

I'm going a bit sentimental this week and my pick is orabbit's A Major Award.

Every year for as long as I can remember I have watched A Christmas Story at least once during the holiday season. That movie is so beloved and the lamp/prize scene always amuses me. There are some good entries, but once I saw this one, it became my favorite of the week.

Orabbit got all of the details on this one and I love a shirt that instantly makes me smile and laugh. So, yeah, sentimentality wins for me this week.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

expo's punk is really the only one I would pick. I think it looks fantastic on the black shirt and it's just badass in general.

Some silver metallic ink on the zippers and buttons and belt might really make it sweet too.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

Last week was a travesty.

This week has been saddening for the number of rehashes. Seriously, google before you submit, particularly for something like 'tee as a costume' themes!

My pick goes to orabbit and Instant Matryoshka because I think it works well within the printable area, the colors are wonderful, and I have a softness for nesting dolls. It also stands out as being recognizable without being so boringly overdone in other formats.

The punk tee was in close contention as well.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I think Patrick's is probably going to take first, but count me in the Expo camp. I think he pulled it off about as well as you can given woot's printing limitations. I will admit a strange fondness for the worm in the apple shirt, however. It has the added benefit of working as a normal shirt.

j5

Mavyn wrote:My pick goes to orabbit and Instant Matryoshka because I think it works well within the printable area, the colors are wonderful, and I have a softness for nesting dolls. It also stands out as being recognizable without being so boringly overdone in other formats.
[url=http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/66395/instant-matryoshka][/url

Orabbit is a clever one, indeed. Not my style, but well conceived and executed.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Thanks, guys and girls, for all the support! I like expo's execution for sure, but I don't think I could wear a fake punk t-shirt. I'll go with odysseyroc's design this week.

It's one of the few I could see myself wearing. Plus, I love the take on the classic tuxedo shirt.

j5

orabbit wrote:Thanks, guys and girls, for all the support! I like expo's execution for sure, but I don't think I could wear a fake punk t-shirt. I'll go with odysseyroc's design this week.

It's one of the few I could see myself wearing. Plus, I love the take on the classic tuxedo shirt.

That one is pretty cool as well. I predict an EC for it.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
j5 wrote:I don't know about all that. I think expo01 did a stellar job with his entry this week
The use of black complements the design perfectly so that the "gloss" of leather looks natural and there is no jarring effect where the design abruptly ends. As "t-shirt as a costume" goes, it is spot on.

I agree to a certain extent. I think expo01 and patrick did the best jobs of the traditional "shirt that looks like some other kind of garment" design, but I don't think either of them wear well.

Patrick's is less boxy but it's still contained to the center of the design. expo's is the same but for an extremely clever deceit. The shirt mock is a small (blurry I might add) person wearing a bunch of accessories that trick your eye into seeing the shirt being more complete than it actually is. The real chain belt thing he is wearing helps the shirt design look like it goes all the way around. The bracelet and the collar break up the edges.

However, the real problem is that the shirt is not only displayed as being printed from armpit to armpit but also on top of the collar. I have not seen pictures of previous ones that woot has done, but I know it wont print that big and I seriously doubt it will be close. The same goes for Patrick's. I expect if these print that there will be a lot of disappointed costumers.