aye512

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aye512

Guess you'll have to count me in the minority who actually like this design, and laughed when I saw it!!! I have a feeling that all my co-workers would enjoy the morbid humor, too.

Bonus, I can wear it next time I go through security at the airport!!!

buddhajiggle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buddhajiggle

Why is the anime Higurashi no Naku Koro ni the only thing i can think of when i see this shirt D:

imadeaddoll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imadeaddoll

I agree with aye512. I love it. It reminds me of when I was little and my parents wanted to go through all my candy 'just to make sure it wasn't tainted'. I think people should lighten up. It's a shirt. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I bought one though... Guess that means I encourage needles in candy. Oh well, terrible person here.

gtaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtaman

This isnt funny at all.

BlueEagle23

quality posts: 3 Private Messages BlueEagle23

I chuckled when I saw the shirt. I viewed it as humorous because it looks unrealistic to me. A pair of scissors in a chocolate bar and a safety pin in a roll of Smarties? I just don't get why it glows in the dark. Maybe if the foreign objects were visible only when it glowed in the dark...

bonafidemike wrote:Smarties? Did you mean Rockets?

Hmm, I'd never heard of Rockets. I thought of Smarties as well

echomyst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echomyst
BlueEagle23 wrote:I chuckled when I saw the shirt. I viewed it as humorous because it looks unrealistic to me. A pair of scissors in a chocolate bar and a safety pin in a roll of Smarties? I just don't get why it glows in the dark. Maybe if the foreign objects were visible only when it glowed in the dark...

Hmm, I'd never heard of Rockets. I thought of Smarties as well

I grew up in Toronto and we called them Rockets. Now that I'm living in California, I have to call them Smarties. They're the same thing.

calichase

quality posts: 0 Private Messages calichase

In my childhood (the mid 90's) my brother and I ended up with a sewing needle in a tootsie roll and a little treat baggie that had a loose condom in it with a pack of matches. My mom found these cause she checked our candy every year because there are cutlasswads out there that think its funny to hurt, scare, and tramautize kids (not to mention the guy who would wait till u passed his house to run after you with a real chainsaw). Halloween is supposed to be about perpetuating fun spooks, not real terrors. This shirt does the latter and its not entertaining.

angerbender

quality posts: 48 Private Messages angerbender

10/10

classic!

reminds me of the long lines at the hospital on trick-or-treat night when they would xray candy for free.

lete

quality posts: 23 Private Messages lete

Why So serious?

dmaricon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmaricon

Wouldn't it be cooler if they only showed in the dark?

iamcptnawesome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamcptnawesome
zsinix wrote:When I was a kid, I got stuck with something like a sewing pin hidden in a piece of laffy taffy. I confirm it.

Thanks for reminding me of the year I got a tetanus instead of the rest of my candy...

Doesn't mean someone randomly put it in there. As a child I got a twix bar from a gas station and it had a screw in it...

kattykathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kattykathy

Personally I find this funny, yes my parents checked my candy as a kid but they were (and I would still be) more concerned with someone injecting some sort of drug or poison into the candy not the physical needles or tacs being left in it....

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

It should be noted that there have been precisely ZERO cases of halloween candy poisonings (at least, legitimate ones, that weren't an attempt to conceal how the child died/etc).

There HAVE been cases of pins, needles, ane even razor blades found in candy, though there have not been ANY deaths or even serious injuries as the result of same.

*rummages* Here's the Snopes articles on such:
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/poison/halloween.asp
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

Meow

Go Squarryls!

jamesoblivion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesoblivion

Y'know, I wasn't gonna buy this shirt until I saw the silly overreaction to it. Now I think I'm gonna buy it just because the PC response to it makes me puke.

Seriously...it's a Halloween-themed shirt. It's not meant to be taken seriously. And yes, it's funny. Darkly, morbidly funny. As a Halloween-themed shirt SHOULD be.

tobiasbruckner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tobiasbruckner

I've always loved the usual playful nature of the shirt designs, checking them for a little chuckle or delight in the art has become a part of my morning routine. But this shirt is tasteless. Im alittle shocked woot would put a parents worst nightmare next to a link for kids.woot.
I used to recommend this Web site to so many clients looking for good children's toys for cheap. Needless to say those days are gone.

evilaelf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evilaelf

I also agree this was in poor taste.

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980
tobiasbruckner wrote:I used to recommend this Web site to so many clients looking for good children for cheap. Needless to say those days are gone.

Did you have another site recommendation for finding cheap children? I'm asking for a friend...

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

honnou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages honnou
tobiasbruckner wrote:I've always loved the usual playful nature of the shirt designs, checking them for a little chuckle or delight in the art has become a part of my morning routine. But this shirt is tasteless. Im alittle shocked woot would put a parents worst nightmare next to a link for kids.woot.
I used to recommend this Web site to so many clients looking for good children for cheap. Needless to say those days are gone.

Yeeeeeeeeeeah, I don't think this shirt is going to hinder you much.

Crazy (hopeful) typo aside, this is a Halloween-related shirt - one of a 'darker' nature than the expected wide-eyed-bushy-tailed-cute-things type. And as overprotective as you want to be about the scant few who would actually do this to people, this shirt isn't going to encourage someone to do it.

For those who really want to "think of the children", why dress them up and make them beg for sweets from strangers anyway? Buy them a bag and have parent/child movie night or something.

brendaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brendaa

I've bought dozens of shirts from Woot and this is the first time I've been disturbed by the subject matter. This is sick.

cappo

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo

Although I'm not buying it anyway, it's not my style, I do recognize that it's clearly meant to be ridiculous. I mean how would anyone put a safety pin inside a bunch of smarties? That's clearly impossible. Or an entire pair of scissors in a Hershey bar?

Although it probably does accurately represent some of the news-hyped fear some of us were presented with as children. The more I think about it, the better I remember.

Maybe that's the actual point of the shirt.

At any rate, it sure did start a discussion.

cappo

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cappo
aye512 wrote:Guess you'll have to count me in the minority who actually like this design, and laughed when I saw it!!! I have a feeling that all my co-workers would enjoy the morbid humor, too.

Bonus, I can wear it next time I go through security at the airport!!!

Let us know if you make it out the other side un-incarcerated.

jadeco23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jadeco23

After reading the "I'm never buying from woot again!" comments, I almost feel obligated to buy this shirt.

islandtimeonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages islandtimeonly

This had to have been designed buy an adolescent. There's a reason they aren't allowed to vote. It's why the "grown ups" make the "big decisions" and any decent grown up is disgusted!! These supposed "kid shirts" have been getting progressively less "kid", more and more WARPED, but this is over the limit. The freedom we have in this country is based on the assumption that we deserve it, and that we are smart enough to know what to do with it!!

lstaff

quality posts: 199 Private Messages lstaff
cappo wrote:Although I'm not buying it anyway, it's not my style, I do recognize that it's clearly meant to be ridiculous. I mean how would anyone put a safety pin inside a bunch of smarties? That's clearly impossible. Or an entire pair of scissors in a Hershey bar?

Although it probably does accurately represent some of the news-hyped fear some of us were presented with as children. The more I think about it, the better I remember.

Maybe that's the actual point of the shirt.

At any rate, it sure did start a discussion.

I think you nailed it! To me, it poked fun of the Halloweens of my youth, where my parents were completely concerned about the razor blade thing.
This shirt takes it to an extreme, mocking that fear.

And, my second thought when i saw it is that other than a couple of those objects, most of those things wouldn't hurt you too much if you ate them.

jnissel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnissel

I agree with all of you who find this shirt very offensive. There is NOTHING about it that I find cute, funny, or amusing in any way.

Woot! has crossed the line with this shirt.

jnissel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnissel
lstaff wrote:And, my second thought when i saw it is that other than a couple of those objects, most of those things wouldn't hurt you too much if you ate them.

I gather, from what you've said, you feel it's alright to hurt someone as long as you don't hurt them "too much".

hardapathy29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hardapathy29

This reminds me of the late 70's when this urban legend took over in my area. When I think of all the candy apples, popcorn balls and cookies that went in the garbage it makes me sad & angry. If this is your worst fear you should reevaluate!

zebramatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zebramatt
lete wrote:I think you'd better check your facts there. I don't think there is a single confirmed case of tainted candy being distributed at random to strangers.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

donaldb21795

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donaldb21795

Not funny Woot. I was shocked and think this crossed the line.

It might inspire someone not of sound mind to try this.

cksphd

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cksphd

Really? Is society not depraved enough? This is truly too sick to consider.

There are so many ways to be clever, witty, or edgy. This is not one of them. And the post directly above one this puts it well -- it could inspire some real sickies.

Bad, bad, call, Woot. Awful, and VERY disappointing.

jrunnerrunnerj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrunnerrunnerj

Very interesting discussion. For my opinion I think it's clear a dark, humorous design that's meant as a bad ass joke, trying to provoke...

However I can understand that parents have their problem with it, but you know what? A shirt is not the cause for a concern, a shirt doesn't harm anyone but people do... and if someone has the urge to do such a thing onto other people he already would have done or will do and is propably being hunted by some authority...

However, you can have dangerous stuff mixed up by accident, that's true. I myself had some kind of iron wire mixed up in a fish I ate a long time ago, so this isn't a thing that is just fiction. But such things can happen anytime and are (from my opionin) less probable than becoming victim of a car accident or something similar.
´
So yes, I think it's a very very bad humorous shirt and probably not my taste... but I got an amused smile about the courage of putting such a design out... and I am sure, if you run around with this shirt, there will be tons of gazes upon you... and isn't this one reason, most of us wear such stuff :-J ?

tutzi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tutzi

Not funny folks.

wharper

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wharper

$20 says someone will be detained for wearing this at an airport checkpoint, within 30 days.

risza

quality posts: 0 Private Messages risza
islandtimeonly wrote: These supposed "kid shirts" have been getting progressively less "kid", more and more WARPED, but this is over the limit.

Woot shirts aren't necessarily "kid shirts." Yes you can buy them in kid sizes. But this is hardly the first dark shirt that has been printed.

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

I think this shirt is geared more to adults. What child HASN'T had it drilled into them since the 70s that Halloween candy ALWAYS had to be inspected because there might be a crazed lunatic out there putting razor blades in apples and sprinkling awfully psychotropic powder on popcorn balls?
There have been only an extremely few, rare cases of candy tampering and those weren't all stranger-related cases either. Halloween candy tampering has achieved Myth status.
Odd shirt, but it made me laugh and agree that it DOES go hand in hand with Trick or Treating, along with not tripping on your costume, being seen by cars, scoring a KINGSIZED bar of candy rather than a rock and wondering if you'll find your jack-o-lantern splattered in the street in the morning.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

eltanin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eltanin

I have nothing original to add to the debate, I just want to add my voice to emphasize the message: this shirt is in poor taste and I'm disappointed to see this flavor of humor here.

iam730

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iam730

Noooooo! Not the Tootsie Rolls!

vipre01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages vipre01

Wow, there's a lot of uptight people on Woot this morning.

sara567

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sara567

Thanks for making me laugh today guys. Love the extreme outrage that a shirt that is supposed to be funny caused.

I bought one, with the intent to wear it to my job, my teaching job, mind you, on Halloween.

Possibly going to buy one for my 3 year old.

It's funny. It brings back memories of having to dump out all my candy and let my parent's go through it. Although, now that I am the adult, I think that while they went through it they were also trying to figure out which pieces they could steal from me.

kaelynangelfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kaelynangelfoot

I agree that this shirt is in poor taste. Whatever the intent was, many people are instantly reacting negatively, as I did. And very little can be done to reverse their opinion because the initial negative feeling will always overshadow their impression of this shirt. A little market research may have been in order before this shirt was released.

I do think that people are overreacting. In two years of purchasing Woot shirts, this is the only one I've seen that has upset me in any way. I certainly would never purchase it, but I don't think its worth boycotting Woot over.