argaiv33

quality posts: 1 Private Messages argaiv33

Serisouly woot, you could have done without this shallow shirt right before Halloween. You should be ashamed....

Pseudolus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pseudolus

Add me to the "this was a bad idea" pile.

AcuZod

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AcuZod

Very poor taste. Not funny at all.

WonkyMcSwifty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WonkyMcSwifty

Wow, so many people reading into this way too much! It's a Halloween design on a fricken t-shirt. It's quite obvious that most of the items here would be next to impossible to actually put into candy. It's a joke people, and a quite clever one at that in my opinion.

I like the design, I have children and I lived during the time this was supposedly a huge problem that happened all the time. I personally know more people who have gotten food poisoning at a restaurant that was considered nice than I have read stories of anyone being hurt randomly by an item being inserted into Halloween candy.
I like to think most of the hype came from parents who wanted to sort through our collected treats every year to pick out the good stuff for themselves.

I don't buy random things from woot all the time, but I am seriously considering buying this just so I can see the look on all the uptight faces crying about how tasteless this shirt is.

wethesockmonkeys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wethesockmonkeys

In complete agreement. Call it poor taste, tacky, whatever, this WAS happening when I was a kid. If no one says anything, the editors at woot assume all is well. I will pass.

jadis4742 wrote:Wait, no one else thinks this is messed up? No one remembers the days when this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED and hurt kids? No one knows this is the reason parents are warned to only let their kids have sealed candy from recognizable brands?

I know you were trying to be edgy, Shirt Woot, but this is just in bad taste. I think I'm out for good now.

cookeezgirls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cookeezgirls

Done in very POOR taste.
Agreed --> Woot shirt fail

michaeldeibert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeldeibert

This is sick! A couple of wackos did this stuff and people think everyone in the neighborhood is deranged!

spike1856

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spike1856

Just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time, apparently.

Woot, keep it up. This shirt is clever and funny, despite what all the shallow people say. Just because they have their panties in a wad/can't see the forest for the trees/allow immediate emotional responses to forestall any rational analysis of the situation/etc. doesn't mean you've done anything wrong.

darthbob14

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darthbob14

As a teen with a dark sense of humor, I do not approve this shirt. There is a fine line between "that's horrible, but funny" and just plain "horrible".
This falls in the second category.

I love macabre humor as much as the next guy, but I stand with the group of the opinion that this is trash.

"Finally, an excuse to nuke France!"

trucarma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trucarma

Mother of two here, chiming in: maybe I've got a twisted sense of humor, but I think this shirt is hilarious. Will definitely be wearing it as I take my youngest trick-or-treating. As another commenter said, it can be used for a 'teachable moment,' as well.

zmster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zmster
hoboIke wrote:I find this shirt in poor taste. I like Woots humor but this goes a bit overboard.

Agreed! Someone needs to use better judgement than this at Woot! If this kind of lapse of judgement becomes the norm, consider me a former Wooter.

kmeltzer

quality posts: 32 Private Messages kmeltzer

I don't think it's in poor taste. Methinks some are a bit sensitive.

Heck, it glows in the dark!

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139
imadeaddoll wrote:I agree with aye512. I love it. It reminds me of when I was little and my parents wanted to go through all my candy 'just to make sure it wasn't tainted'. I think people should lighten up. It's a shirt. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I bought one though... Guess that means I encourage needles in candy. Oh well, terrible person here.

+1

You guys are getting way too worked up over this.

Insert signature here.

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139
dmaricon wrote:Wouldn't it be cooler if they only showed in the dark?

I was thinking the same thing!

Insert signature here.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers
warrenoatesrules wrote:See, it's funny because it's not really the serious social scourge that the media once made it out to be. There might be a few examples of this happening, but they are extremely rare, and people who are actually afraid of their kid getting a razor in their candy are worried about all of the wrong things in life. Worry about your kid riding in your car, or eating fatty foods, or crossing the street, or getting hit by lightning... they're all MUCH bigger concerns. I don't find this shirt in poor taste at all, at least not in a mean-spirited way. It's silly and clever. I cannot believe that people still buy into this urban myth that tampered candy from strangers is a serious and real threat. It just goes to show that fantastic stories are far more powerful than facts on the social psyche.

Amen to you! More serious, horrible, indescribable things happen every day that a Woot shirts has referenced in the past than tainted candy. For example, there are more traffic accidents and fatalities in a single day than the number of known, reported cases, of tainted candy EVER. I don't see anyone crying wolf over stuff like that or saying they are going to give up their cars and driving? Take a freaking chill pill. Not to mention, for the people who have experienced tainted candy, what was the neighborhood like where you were trick-or-treating? Here's an idea....go a more prominent neighborhood. People that live in the prominent areas hate jail and don't do stuff like that or anything that won't land them in a minimum security prison if they were to ever get caught.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

firesleuth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firesleuth

This "artist" is a sick-o! It is a perverted T-Shirt and should be banned. This will give some nuts out there some new ideas on how to hurt children. Shirtwoot, you should be ashamed at your shortsighted lack of class.

jimkiler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimkiler

this is too much of a serious issue and not historical like the Donner party therefore i am suprised the editors let this shirt get sold. I am sure there was less sensitive stuff the editors denied that would offend a lot less people than this shirt.

Itsari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Itsari

Stripes007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Stripes007

My first thought was not treats for kids but training aid for friends that have buddys in jail. or to send the shirt to warden as a joke or the person who make you take off your shoes to fly the friendly skies.
second thought cool now moms and dads can have shirt on and point to the shape of candy and say thats why I must look at all candy. or put a hello sticker on chest that reads Candy Quality Checker, and each house that has candy petend you write on a clip board the make and size and house # would freak out the candy giver. then I read the post. now I see theres a lot of points of view. (I still like it)
but can't buy it no $.

iam730

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iam730
firesleuth wrote:This "artist" is a sick-o! It is a perverted T-Shirt and should be banned. This will give some nuts out there some new ideas on how to hurt children. Shirtwoot, you should be ashamed at your shortsighted lack of class.

I don't think this is anything new to the "nuts out there". So everything that you find offensive should be banned? Anyone who thinks a t-shirt could cause mass social upheaval needs to get a grip. And name-calling because you don't care for someone's artistic taste is the height of class, BTW.

clcaruthers

quality posts: 32 Private Messages clcaruthers
firesleuth wrote:This "artist" is a sick-o! It is a perverted T-Shirt and should be banned. This will give some nuts out there some new ideas on how to hurt children. Shirtwoot, you should be ashamed at your shortsighted lack of class.

If you can twist it to say that Woot has given people the idea to put stuff in candy, I hereby take your post and say that you have given me the idea to hurt children. I also will say you told me to do it and get you thrown in jail because you're sick sense of taste.....give me a freaking break

This Gaaar, Peter! is hilarious. I know this was true at one point (possibly still on rare occasions), but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out of there is any metal in candy....

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

deelite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deelite
trucarma wrote:Mother of two here, chiming in: maybe I've got a twisted sense of humor, but I think this shirt is hilarious. Will definitely be wearing it as I take my youngest trick-or-treating. As another commenter said, it can be used for a 'teachable moment,' as well.

I am totes with you...its hilarious. I am a mother of way more than two and I LOVE this shirt! I will be getting it and wearing it to my kids schools Halloween party. >: )

Is WOOT changing your words? CLICK BELOW to see what they mean:
http://www.bagsofcrap.com/glossary/

colin91473

quality posts: 2 Private Messages colin91473
mindsuckr wrote:99% of them turned out to be hoaxes or family members doing it, but in 2000 James Joseph Smith of Minneapolis got charged and went to jail for putting pins in Halloween candy and distributing them.

And there was the apple w/ razor blade incidents in the late 60s. go check Snopes, it's all there. Sorry WOOT, normally you knock them out of the park and I have purchased many shirts and other items, but this is simply not cool. You really should pull this off the site. It's bad taste, and poor judgement this time.

jwherbold

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwherbold

Pass, and I hope this is a bump in the road, and not a general drop in quality.

Kerig

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Kerig

As a father that found a condom amongst his child's Halloween candy 16 years ago, I don't see the humor in this shirt one bit. For us this happened on a first Halloween in a newly-constructed subdivision and knowing that such a creep was living amongst us set most of the families with children on edge for years. Halloween then became a time that elevated our worries, when it should have been a fun, carefree evening.

Someone stated that the shirt design represents an "over-inflation" of the hype of what's actually been found in Halloween candy, but sick & disturbed people are constantly thinking of "over-inflated" ways to put our children at risk or harm. Sure, by the numbers the risk that someone will get tainted Halloween candy are statistically low, but it's only funny until it happens to your own child. I suspect the shirt's designer has no children of their own.

Sorry Woot, you missed the mark on this one, big time!

haxrox

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haxrox

This could have been a way better joke and avoided the backlash by putting absurd items in the candy, like a cannon, chainsaw, morningstar, nun-chucks, etc.

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
clcaruthers wrote:For example, there are more traffic accidents and fatalities in a single day than the number of known, reported cases, of tainted candy EVER.

There are about 33K deaths per year (down from about 40K deaths a few years ago, we are doing much better) so in a single day around 100. The number of reported cases of tainted candy are certainly much higher than that; can't find good stats, but perhaps a thousand? So candy does get the nod.

If you had said deaths in a week, I'd believe you.

travii99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages travii99

Wow Woot! I can't believe that this shirt is up for sale. Very poor taste. It just encourages horrible things. I too have been a long customer and this is the first thing to bother me.

rrot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrot
haxrox wrote:This could have been a way better joke and avoided the backlash by putting absurd items in the candy, like a cannon, chainsaw, morningstar, nun-chucks, etc.

Agree.

The big knock on this shirt is the complete absence of funny.

Haha, a needle in there!

Oookay...

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD

....people still believe this was really a thing?

Have you guys every heard of Snopes.com? You should really check it out. Like, daily.

The only actual "tainted candy" incident related to Halloween was the case of a parent poisoning their own children.

And if you are taking unsealed treats (candy apples, etc) from a stranger, you are out of your mind or an pirate.

That being said, parents should always check their kids candy, just in case anything is unwrapped or has been tampered with, because it's better to be safe than sorry. But they should also lighten the hell up.

Not getting the shirt though, because it'd be way better if the hidden hazards were revealed only as glow in the dark elements.

thebrowns96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thebrowns96

I wish I had enough money to buy shirts for the whole family! Lighten up, people.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

Lol, the tooth and the staple. However, the razor blade gives me the creeps. I keep thinking about biting into that apple now :P

I see both sides, it's a joke on a shirt. On the other hand, this is pretty dark. I feel like those of us with the more excitable imagination are the ones more bothered than they ones stopping at the childhood memories of thrown out treats.

Fascinating.

zackeeus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zackeeus
hoboIke wrote:I find this shirt in poor taste. I like Woots humor but this goes a bit overboard.

I agree. POOR TASTE. Not okay Woot!

jwherbold

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jwherbold
VenusAD wrote:Have you guys every heard of Snopes.com? You should really check it out. Like, daily.

The only actual "tainted candy" incident related to Halloween was the case of a parent poisoning their own children.

Search for pins needles or razorblades in candy not poison. Here is the link.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

pmitchellnh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmitchellnh

Sick. What's next, Woot? terrible act shirts?

[wow... I can't even say the 4-letter word that starts with R and ends in "ape", yet they can sell this shirt for money... getting mixed signals here]

bstahler04

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bstahler04

Maybe Woot is trying to warn children about the hidden dangers of accepting candy from strangers. Get off their back haters.

greinertech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greinertech

if you're so terrified of your children getting poisoned, stabbed or harmed by foreign objects in their candy, here's a tip: don't have them go get candy from strangers. if you're offended by this shirt, cry all you want. it's silly. in case it's not obvious, i like the design quite a bit.

serendipities

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serendipities
hoboIke wrote:Think of the lawsuit if a child gets candy with something in it and they trace it back to a woot shirt. The attorneys can say their client got the idea from a t shirt he bought off Woot.

that is straight up ridiculous.

Morimoto

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Morimoto

Wow, I don't think I've ever commented on a shirt, but I had to jump into this discussion. I like the design, and have no issues with it whatsoever.

I don't think I'd buy one for my 3 and 5 year old kids, but I wouldn't think twice about seeing people wearing this shirt. To those of you saying this could inspire some awful acts -- give me a freakin break!

serendipities

quality posts: 0 Private Messages serendipities
robertwooddellweaver wrote:There are about 33K deaths per year (down from about 40K deaths a few years ago, we are doing much better) so in a single day around 100. The number of reported cases of tainted candy are certainly much higher than that; can't find good stats, but perhaps a thousand? So candy does get the nod.

If you had said deaths in a week, I'd believe you.

They also included non-fatal accidents, I think. Seems fair enough, considering cases the candy wasn't limited to fatal cases.