bluemoon72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemoon72
maahes0 wrote:Let's see Kit-Kat Hershey's bar, Twix, Reese's, Toostie Roll, and Tootsie pop, smarties, peppermint, standard lolipop, apple, candy corn, hmm I just can't figure out the fish hook and the nails ones.

Nails: Butterfinger; fish hook: one of those nasty peanut butter kisses in the orange and black waxed wrappers that I hated seeing dropped into my candy container as a kid.

mchgn96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mchgn96

Love this shirt! Best one in awhile!

Kuragari

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Kuragari

This would be more clever if you couldn't see the hidden items until they were glowing in the dark. As it is, meh.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo
haxrox wrote:This could have been a way better joke and avoided the backlash by putting absurd items in the candy, like a cannon, chainsaw, morningstar, nun-chucks, etc.

That would actually have been a profound improvement.

But then it would probably get you on the terrorist watch list as a possible weapons smuggler.

GrammarYahtzee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages GrammarYahtzee

For all of you outraged over the outrage, the joke's on you. Look closer and you'll see how many people are saying the exact same thing: this shirt is in poor "taste." Get it? "Taste." Ba-dum-tsssh (Where's my rimshot .gif when I need it)

For all of you actually outraged over this shirt giving sickos new ideas, really, they don't need shirt.woot's help. They have plenty of ideas already, THAT'S why they're sickos! If they want any help, all they need to do is watch Law & Order SVU, or Criminal Minds, but that's probably your favorite show. Where's your outrage for the direct portrayal of this sick behavior? How sick are the writers and actors paid to write twisted, disturbing plots for that show. At least Mandy Patinkin recently mentioned how he left C.M. because it disturbed him so much. (You go Inigo!)

dirtdirt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt

Wow! This is my design. Uh, I'm not a sicko. I'm a shlubby civil servant. I have kids.

When I was a kid the specter of poisoned or otherwise tampered candy was by far the scariest thing about Halloween - I remember the local hospital would x-ray bags of candy, for free. I always found that idea horrifying, and compelling. This shirt is about that fear, and is, to me, funny.

On the streets this year you'll see a million kids dressed as vampires, zombies, ghosts, ninjas, and other monsters that don't (or barely exist). Put this shirt in with that group - scary, but exceedingly unlikely.

The ghouls and goblins (and princesses and Elmos and Spidermans) are in much more peril of getting hit by a car so, please, remember to drive cautiously.

yeladot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages yeladot
jellebean wrote:Gotta be honest, this shirt bothers me

Gotta agree with you!

yeladot

jadis4742 wrote:Wait, no one else thinks this is messed up? No one remembers the days when this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED and hurt kids? No one knows this is the reason parents are warned to only let their kids have sealed candy from recognizable brands?

I know you were trying to be edgy, Shirt Woot, but this is just in bad taste. I think I'm out for good now.

This disturbs me also. Guess they aren't old enough to remember friends biting into a razor in an apple.

yeladot

lete wrote:I think you'd better check your facts there. I don't think there is a single confirmed case of tainted candy being distributed at random to strangers.

Perhaps not nowadays, but when I was a kid there was plenty!

GetITCdot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GetITCdot

the shirt wasn't funny, but reading the anti-woot comments was side splitting!

Hey guess what?... I hate you.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
jadeco23 wrote:After reading the "I'm never buying from woot again!" comments, I almost feel obligated to buy this shirt.

I'm with you on that! Total overreaction. But, I like dark humor, and I figure this balances out for all the Dr. Who shirts I dislike that Woot sells.

I was growing up when there was a big scare, and had my parents check my candy every Halloween.

I now check my kids' candy every Halloween. They aren't allowed to eat any until their candy is checked (by me or by their friend's parent).

However, I still think it's hysterical. I'm seriously thinking of getting them as ToT bags - need to check with my kids. Oldest won't like it, middle will for sure, youngest I'm not sure about.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
bonafidemike wrote:Smarties? Did you mean Rockets?

In what area of the country/world are smarties labeled as rockets? Never seen that before.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dirtdirt wrote:Wow! This is my design. Uh, I'm not a sicko. I'm a shlubby civil servant. I have kids.

When I was a kid the specter of poisoned or otherwise tampered candy was by far the scariest thing about Halloween - I remember the local hospital would x-ray bags of candy, for free. I always found that idea horrifying, and compelling. This shirt is about that fear, and is, to me, funny.

On the streets this year you'll see a million kids dressed as vampires, zombies, ghosts, ninjas, and other monsters that don't (or barely exist). Put this shirt in with that group - scary, but exceedingly unlikely.

The ghouls and goblins (and princesses and Elmos and Spidermans) are in much more peril of getting hit by a car so, please, remember to drive cautiously.

Thanks for checking in, it's always nice to hear from the artist and what they were thinking about on particular designs.

I'm just hanging out, really.

meandsecoya

quality posts: 12 Private Messages meandsecoya

Throwing my two cents in. I don't like the shirt. I get the intent behind it (and read the designer's comment above which confirms the intended meaning), but I still think it crosses the thin invisible line between darkly-shocking edginess and bad taste. I'm not going to threaten to boycott woot, or anything of the sort, over the shirt. Just stating my opinion on it and moving on. :-)

spleenmeister

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spleenmeister

I'm pretty sure that freedom of speech means that woot can put up whatever they want, and just because that offends you doesn't give you the right to demand it be taken down... Or at least, that's the way I was taught it worked...

I agree with previous posters on two counts:
1) the silly outrage makes me want to buy the shirt more
2) it would have been much funnier if the items were more ridiculous

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat
jamesoblivion wrote:Y'know, I wasn't gonna buy this shirt until I saw the silly overreaction to it. Now I think I'm gonna buy it just because the PC response to it makes me puke.

Seriously...it's a Halloween-themed shirt. It's not meant to be taken seriously. And yes, it's funny. Darkly, morbidly funny. As a Halloween-themed shirt SHOULD be.

Pretty much sums up my reaction. I was a bit disturbed but that's the point. What bothers me more than this shirt is the asinine attempt at censorship. (I particularly chuckled at the GTA wooter complaining. Because, y'know, GTA is all types of wholesome.)

Relax.

sacarr2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sacarr2
maahes0 wrote:Let's see Kit-Kat Hershey's bar, Twix, Reese's, Toostie Roll, and Tootsie pop, smarties, peppermint, standard lolipop, apple, candy corn, hmm I just can't figure out the fish hook and the nails ones.

GUm drop and Laffy Taffy? Don't know why there'd be a single gum drop in a wrapper though...

cappo

Woot, you have exactly 14 hours to replace this shirt with a new one on the Shirt.Woot main page or else I'm Never Buying Another Woot Shirt Again!(tm)

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
bluemoon72 wrote:Nails: Butterfinger; fish hook: one of those nasty peanut butter kisses in the orange and black waxed wrappers that I hated seeing dropped into my candy container as a kid.

Those are called Mary Janes. I know exactly one person who loves them.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

cyberneurotik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberneurotik
dirtdirt wrote:Wow! This is my design. Uh, I'm not a sicko. I'm a shlubby civil servant. I have kids.

I've read through every post in this thread and I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with you. Tampered candy is as much a myth as the creatures that children dress up as for Halloween.

And I think your intent is perfect; make a shirt that depicts the scariest thing about Halloween. Given the amount of negative responses to this shirt, I think you hit it spot on. Clearly, people are terrified of this shirt and this is exactly the reason why I love it. You wont find a reaction like this for a shirt with a monster on it!

Edit: And for all the people claiming that tainted candy is a statistically considerable act should review their facts. Out of all the posts defending the outrage, I've only seen ONE link to the SAME article about the fracking MYTH of tainted candy. Honest to god, I'm not going to take these arguments seriously until I see legitimate articles from legitimate websites on real, documented cases.

shroud2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shroud2
meandsecoya wrote:Throwing my two cents in. I don't like the shirt. I get the intent behind it (and read the designer's comment above which confirms the intended meaning), but I still think it crosses the thin invisible line between darkly-shocking edginess and bad taste. I'm not going to threaten to boycott woot, or anything of the sort, over the shirt. Just stating my opinion on it and moving on. :-)

I have the opposite viewpoint to you. I like this shirt and like the dark humor. That said, I am replying to say that I truly appreciate how you stated your opinion. You didn't get overly emotional and jump on the boycott bandwagon. You took the time to consider the artist viewpoint, then made a decision based on what you read and saw using your internal sense of judgement. You stated your viewpoint in a rational way, chose not to purchase the shirt, thus voting against the shirt financially. I have great respect for the opinions of those who express themselves in the way you have, even if those opinions differ from my own. Thanks!

cappo

Mavyn wrote:Those are called Mary Janes. I know exactly one person who loves them.

Ah yes, Mary Janes, the candy equivalent of getting a slug in your change.

(Slug = blank non-coin, for those that aren't old enough for that reference.)

sacarr2

firesleuth wrote:This "artist" is a sick-o! It is a perverted T-Shirt and should be banned. This will give some nuts out there some new ideas on how to hurt children. Shirtwoot, you should be ashamed at your shortsighted lack of class.

Yes! Ban this t-shirt! And that one! And that one over there! Take that shirt off, it offends me! Wait, what? Freedom of speech? No but I don't like what it's saying and according to my first amendment rights... What do you mean everyone has those rights?? Well this is outra-[the rest of this post has been banned because the ideas in it are perverted]

iam730

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iam730

They're supposed to be peanut-butter flavored? I had no idea! I just thought they were a precursor to some of the horrific flavors of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.

jjkehoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjkehoe

I initially read that last sentence as "please remember to drive callously," which was extra-funny in this context.

thehirsches

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thehirsches

The problem with this shirt, other than the incredibly poor taste, is that it will give people ideas.

I can easily see some antisocial teenager doing something like this "as a joke" and hurting someone.

Woot needs to rethink this kind of shirt.

sacarr2

All these posts about how offensive this t-shirt is make me want to buy it even more! Maybe this is a marketing ploy by Woot... ah well, it's working, keep up the good work Woot!! :D

cyberneurotik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberneurotik
thehirsches wrote:The problem with this shirt, other than the incredibly poor taste, is that it will give people ideas.

I can easily see some antisocial teenager doing something like this "as a joke" and hurting someone.

As someone who was an anti-social teenager I am extremely offended at this comment. More often than not, they/we are thinking more about self-harm than harming others. So please try and revise your stereotypes and try reaching out once and a while like a compassionate human being.

iam730

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iam730
thehirsches wrote:The problem with this shirt, other than the incredibly poor taste, is that it will give people ideas.

And heaven forbid anyone anywhere at any time should get "ideas". I think this shirt is far less "dangerous" among such easily-influenced minds than your average television show (including those considered age-appropriate for a 5-year-old).

sacarr2

Oh thank god. See guys, he's not a sicko... he just has a sense of humor! Unlike you people. Yeah... you know who you are.

(PS: Keep up the good work, I <3 this shirt =)

kettes

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kettes

This isn't funny. o.O

nafriel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nafriel

Wow, this is messed up. Really not cool.

Paxxor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Paxxor

This is a ridiculous notion. Those who will commit crimes of this type are not influenced by a shirt they saw walking down the street. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out you can harm kids and/or adults by placing a foreign object into candy and then giving it away on Halloween.

This shirt? Bad taste in my opinion and I would not buy. That said, I’ve purchased and wear some bad taste shirts bought from this very website. I’d be a hypocrite if I thought it wrong for someone to buy and wear this shirt.

Myth or not, candy must be inspected for obvious signs of tampering (just a once over nothing serious). I don’t overly shelter my kids but there are bad people in this world that do bad things so I take advantage of the little mundane things to give my kids just a little bit of extra security.

sacarr2

Stripes007 wrote:My first thought was not treats for kids but training aid for friends that have buddys in jail. or to send the shirt to warden as a joke or the person who make you take off your shoes to fly the friendly skies.
second thought cool now moms and dads can have shirt on and point to the shape of candy and say thats why I must look at all candy. or put a hello sticker on chest that reads Candy Quality Checker, and each house that has candy petend you write on a clip board the make and size and house # would freak out the candy giver. then I read the post. now I see theres a lot of points of view. (I still like it)
but can't buy it no $.

That's a good costume idea! Simple and funny.

dasnicholas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dasnicholas

2 things you apparently can't joke about. 9/11 and kids swallowing razorblades

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat
dasnicholas wrote:2 things you apparently can't joke about. 9/11 and kids swallowing razorblades

Those airplanes where filled with all types of metal and sharp objects and look what happened.

Relax.

johnt007871

quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871
cappo wrote:Woot, you have exactly 14 hours to replace this shirt with a new one on the Shirt.Woot main page or else I'm Never Buying Another Woot Shirt Again!(tm)

Woot! Woot! I love you! But you only have 14 hours to save the Earth!!

Duummm duuummm duuumm duuummm duuummm duuummm duuummm duuummm duuummm duuummm Woot! AHHHH AHHHHHHHH! It'll scar every one of us!

Kickstart70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Kickstart70

As one of the kids who did get a needle embedded in the roof of my mouth from Halloween candy (yes, really), I find this...hilarious

nafriel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nafriel
warrenoatesrules wrote:See, it's funny because it's not really the serious social scourge that the media once made it out to be. There might be a few examples of this happening, but they are extremely rare, and people who are actually afraid of their kid getting a razor in their candy are worried about all of the wrong things in life. Worry about your kid riding in your car, or eating fatty foods, or crossing the street, or getting hit by lightning... they're all MUCH bigger concerns. I don't find this shirt in poor taste at all, at least not in a mean-spirited way. It's silly and clever. I cannot believe that people still buy into this urban myth that tampered candy from strangers is a serious and real threat. It just goes to show that fantastic stories are far more powerful than facts on the social psyche.

One doesn't have to "buy into the myth" to see this as an inappropriate thing to joke about.

A vampire, for example, is a creature that kills people on a (usually) regular basis. In the stories about them, they're either the bad-guy monster that gets defeated or the unlikely good-guy who somehow redeems himself in spite of his "evil" nature. This shirt, though, doesn't have any of that good vs. evil mythos to work with. It's just taking a horrifying idea and putting it on a shirt.

Imagine if this was a shirt with the outline of your home state, or country, with a mushroom cloud image laid over the top. Sure, we can say there are really only a few real-world cases of anyone getting nuked and the chances of it happening to any of us are exceedingly small... but what's funny about it? It's just an idea of an awful event.

I'm not afraid of something like this ever really happening to anyone I know, but I also don't see anything positive about putting it on a shirt. It's just messed up.

phoenixgirrl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages phoenixgirrl
Mavyn wrote:Those are called Mary Janes. I know exactly one person who loves them.

I adore them. So now there are 2 of us.

I moved a few years ago, though, and can't find the bags of the Halloween Mary Janes. I may be one of the few people upset by this.