itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
dirtdirt wrote:Wow! This is my design. Uh, I'm not a sicko. I'm a shlubby civil servant. I have kids.

When I was a kid the specter of poisoned or otherwise tampered candy was by far the scariest thing about Halloween - I remember the local hospital would x-ray bags of candy, for free. I always found that idea horrifying, and compelling. This shirt is about that fear, and is, to me, funny.

On the streets this year you'll see a million kids dressed as vampires, zombies, ghosts, ninjas, and other monsters that don't (or barely exist). Put this shirt in with that group - scary, but exceedingly unlikely.

The ghouls and goblins (and princesses and Elmos and Spidermans) are in much more peril of getting hit by a car so, please, remember to drive cautiously.



The reasonable people who think this is in poor taste have a valid point, though I disagree.

This shirt has grown on me after reading the comments, because it is SCARY. The idea of biting into something and finding a razor-blade is very uncomfortable, and obviously this is multiplied when thinking about your children. The Snopes articles were very interesting, and basically show that RANDOM malicious objects in Halloween candy are 99.9% myth. What makes this interesting is that the myths are still so widespread, because people are still so afraid of the idea. This shirt did exactly what it intended, by showing how terrified people are of this despite the reality.

To the people claiming anyone will get ideas from this shirt, calm down and have a lollipop ;-). Everyone already knows this myth, or you wouldn't be scared of it.

Design-wise, I agree with a few other people that the x-ray effect would be greatly improved if the objects were hidden until they glowed-in-the-dark. Also, more ridiculous objects might have made it a little more funny, but possibly less scary.

P.S. Also, I predict offended people=cute shirts people, therefore fewer cute shirts henceforth if they actually boycott (fingers crossed).

TL;DR: You don't like this shirt because it scares you, this doesn't really happen (randomly).

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
iam730 wrote:They're supposed to be peanut-butter flavored? I had no idea! I just thought they were a precursor to some of the horrific flavors of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans.



I had no idea either. Woot: We're unintentionally educational!

I'm just hanging out, really.

psumek


quality posts: 9 Private Messages psumek
yeladot wrote:This disturbs me also. Guess they aren't old enough to remember friends biting into a razor in an apple.



You remember friends biting razors in apples? Were you high and playing pranks or has urban legend really become part of your daily life?

itoaseik


quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik
Kickstart70 wrote:As one of the kids who did get a needle embedded in the roof of my mouth from Halloween candy (yes, really), I find this...hilarious



After seeing a few of these posts, I guess it really did happen sometimes, but then why no confirmed reports? Literally there seems to be one case, ever. Was it maybe a friend/brother who planted it? You seem to have a sense of humor and maybe didn't bother reporting it to police, but it seems like if this were common there would be evidence.

trubba


quality posts: 2 Private Messages trubba
jadis4742 wrote:Wait, no one else thinks this is messed up? No one remembers the days when this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED and hurt kids? No one knows this is the reason parents are warned to only let their kids have sealed candy from recognizable brands?

I know you were trying to be edgy, Shirt Woot, but this is just in bad taste. I think I'm out for good now.



Not weighing in on whether this is a good idea or not, but does anyone out there have any confirmed documentation of tampered treats being actually given to kids? I've seen tons of stories about the issue, but my impression is that actual instances are practically non-existent. Any credible evidence to the contrary? Anyone?

dinska


quality posts: 3 Private Messages dinska

No sacred cows, guys. =) Unwritten rule of satire. But yeah, this discussion is a good preview of the outrage you'll get when you actually wear this shirt.



phoenixocean


quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenixocean

I've passed on many a shirt because I don't get the humor or just think it's, frankly, marooned and stupid. This is the first shirt I've actually been offended by. I can't believe it made it to production. Shame on you Shirt.Woot.

nindaene


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nindaene
thehirsches wrote:The problem with this shirt, other than the incredibly poor taste, is that it will give people ideas.

I can easily see some antisocial teenager doing something like this "as a joke" and hurting someone.

Woot needs to rethink this kind of shirt.



People aren't going to get ideas from this shirt. Anyone that is going to get those "ideas" already got them from the stories of this happening.

When I was growing up, I remember the razorblade in the apple stories and checking every piece of candy before you ate it. Was it a legite concern then? Not really. Just a story. Nowadays, people have actually done it.

The stories themselves are to blame for people doing such things. Not the shirt.

darksidebarji


quality posts: 0 Private Messages darksidebarji
bonafidemike wrote:Smarties? Did you mean Rockets?



smarties and rockets are the same thing just labeled differently in some places

shivermetimbers


quality posts: 0 Private Messages shivermetimbers

FAIL!

bob4shopping


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bob4shopping

Sorry, this design isn't "deliciously dark" or "wickedly fun." It's sick and wrong. None for me.

The design also falls short of shirtWoot's usual selections. It's not clever, beautiful, or even funny. Part of the problem is that the dangers shown seem realistic. Sorry, but if I saw this shirt on someone and tried to interpret its meaning, I'm not going to have enough time to think, "Wait, there's no way you could push a pin through Smarties--they're too hard! Ha-ha, this shirt must be really funny!" As others have pointed out, even the glow-in-the-dark aspect could have been handled better--it doesn't reveal anything previously unseen, or change the shirt's meaning.

One-shot visual humor lies in the unexpected juxtaposition of what is perceived versus what is revealed. If the candy being X-rayed revealed that yes, there was stuff hidden inside, but it was harmless stuff that kids hate (cherry tomatoes in a box of malted milk balls, Brussels sprouts mixed in a package of jawbreakers, a rolled-up math quiz inside a Tootsie Roll wrapper, prune juice inside a honey-stick, etc.), that could have been funny.

For those wooters waxing sentimental over this shirt as a reminder of having to stand in line to get your candy X-rayed to protect you against a horrible injury, what the heck are you thinking? Going to get the candy X-rayed was never the fun part--you were supposed to be making memories about the good parts. Are your fond memories of Christmas all about the cardboard that your toys came in?

bob4shopping


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bob4shopping
itoaseik wrote:
P.S. Also, I predict offended people=cute shirts people, therefore fewer cute shirts henceforth if they actually boycott (fingers crossed).



Don't think so. I find this shirt offensive, and am definitely not a cute shirt person. Just sayin'.

officeink


quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink

While the artwork is well done in this design... I think the design is in poor taste.If it was simply the candy minus the foreign objects I'd buy it... Every year there are articles of this sort of thing in candy and children being harmed or killed by ingesting it... I don't think making light of that in the form of a tee is going to go over well with buyers... Maybe the design could be offered as candy without the dangerous objects...Just a suggestion.

KimNicole


quality posts: 3 Private Messages KimNicole
dirtdirt wrote:Wow! This is my design. Uh, I'm not a sicko. I'm a shlubby civil servant. I have kids.

When I was a kid the specter of poisoned or otherwise tampered candy was by far the scariest thing about Halloween - I remember the local hospital would x-ray bags of candy, for free. I always found that idea horrifying, and compelling. This shirt is about that fear, and is, to me, funny.

On the streets this year you'll see a million kids dressed as vampires, zombies, ghosts, ninjas, and other monsters that don't (or barely exist). Put this shirt in with that group - scary, but exceedingly unlikely.

The ghouls and goblins (and princesses and Elmos and Spidermans) are in much more peril of getting hit by a car so, please, remember to drive cautiously.



I chose to buy it as a costume* for Halloween because it's funny, horrifying and funny again. I love it. And now I'll buy the bag, too.

I think people who believe this will give people ideas need to chill out. The snopes link has been posted, but this is a myth. There's no evidence that there was any good reason for the widespread hysteria we grew up with. Yet, these comments show exactly how we grew up with that hysteria. Most crimes are targeted, either by design or opportunity. Most criminals seek a reward. There's no reward in undirected fear. Hence, the urge to reach out and claim random acts of violence. (e.g. The Zodiac, Son of Sam, etc.)

*I'm in a play, playing a sexual abuse victim. I wanted the juxtposition.

KimNicole


quality posts: 3 Private Messages KimNicole
phoenixgirrl wrote:I adore them. So now there are 2 of us.

I moved a few years ago, though, and can't find the bags of the Halloween Mary Janes. I may be one of the few people upset by this.



Let me introduce you to my mom, keeper of the MJs and the Good 'n' Plenty.

officeink


quality posts: 3 Private Messages officeink
trubba wrote:Not weighing in on whether this is a good idea or not, but does anyone out there have any confirmed documentation of tampered treats being actually given to kids? I've seen tons of stories about the issue, but my impression is that actual instances are practically non-existent. Any credible evidence to the contrary? Anyone?


There are lots of news articles on this sort of thing online...Pretty easy to find.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/razor-in-halloween-candy_n_1072804.html

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/local/central/razor-blade-found-in-candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl20U6QKlfw

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

thewerepuppy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewerepuppy

I love this shirt. As people have already said, it's SUPPOSED to be slightly disturbing. That's the point. That's what Halloween's about. You go out trck or treating, you go to strangers' houses, you're taking a risk. It's as simple as that.

I'm not remotely offended, I think it's a cool shirt and a great reminder to kids to be wary.

Man, you guys wouldn't like Stephen Lynch's "Halloween" song. (If you're not easily offended, look it up - it's awesome).

cyberneurotik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberneurotik
officeink wrote:There are lots of news articles on this sort of thing online...Pretty easy to find.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/razor-in-halloween-candy_n_1072804.html

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/local/central/razor-blade-found-in-candy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl20U6QKlfw

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp



Are you joking? You just posted three different links on the same reported case. And then a link about the myth. That's not very compelling evidence that this sort of thing happens all the time. There's more evidence of big foot.

Does the shirt frighten you? Then it's succeeded in its intent. It's a Halloween shirt. It's supposed to be scary.

mindsuckr


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mindsuckr
cyberneurotik wrote:As someone who was an anti-social teenager I am extremely offended at this comment. More often than not, they/we are thinking more about self-harm than harming others. So please try and revise your stereotypes and try reaching out once and a while like a compassionate human being.



Antisocial (from Wikipedia): Anti-social behavior (with or without hyphen) is behaviour that lacks consideration for others and may cause damage to the society, whether intentionally or through negligence.

Odds are you are thinking of Asocial behavior, so he was 100% correct in his original use of terms.

richardcg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardcg

The tote should be made glow in the dark as a treat for those who ordered it... "candy apples and razor blades, the little dead they're soon in graves, I remember Halloween" ~Misfits

cyberneurotik


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cyberneurotik
mindsuckr wrote:Antisocial (from Wikipedia): Anti-social behavior (with or without hyphen) is behaviour that lacks consideration for others and may cause damage to the society, whether intentionally or through negligence.

Odds are you are thinking of Asocial behavior, so he was 100% correct in his original use of terms.



Let's look to the dictionary here.
an·ti·so·cial   [an-tee-soh-shuhl, an-tahy-] adjective
1.
unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.
2.
antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.
3.
opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.
4.
Psychiatry . of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

Or even the common interpretation of the word:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anti-social


In most definitions anti-social suggests someone who is -uninterested- in society. Especially since he juxtaposed the word with "teenager" (a group of people that perhaps need compassion more than most others), further supporting the notion that he was referring to a stereotype. So I'll still stand by my argument.

redstang


quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
warrenoatesrules wrote:See, it's funny because it's not really the serious social scourge that the media once made it out to be. There might be a few examples of this happening, but they are extremely rare, and people who are actually afraid of their kid getting a razor in their candy are worried about all of the wrong things in life. Worry about your kid riding in your car, or eating fatty foods, or crossing the street, or getting hit by lightning... they're all MUCH bigger concerns. I don't find this shirt in poor taste at all, at least not in a mean-spirited way. It's silly and clever. I cannot believe that people still buy into this urban myth that tampered candy from strangers is a serious and real threat. It just goes to show that fantastic stories are far more powerful than facts on the social psyche.



+1. Can't believe all the outrage.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

jjkehoe


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjkehoe
spleenmeister wrote:I'm pretty sure that freedom of speech means that woot can put up whatever they want, and just because that offends you doesn't give you the right to demand it be taken down... Or at least, that's the way I was taught it worked...

I agree with previous posters on two counts:
1) the silly outrage makes me want to buy the shirt more
2) it would have been much funnier if the items were more ridiculous



I'll just insert the obligatory comment about how freedom of speech (a) has nothing to do with Woot; and (b) if it did, it would actually mean both that Woot can put up whatever they want and that offended people can demand it be taken down. Demanding it be taken down isn't the same thing as having it actually taken down. People can demand all day long and never get what they want, as proven by my fruitless demands for a pony.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jjkehoe wrote:People can demand all day long and never get what they want, as proven by my fruitless demands for a pony.


Woah there, I can't believe we missed those demands. Our bad.



Here's your pony, as a bonus it can be any color you wish.

I'm just hanging out, really.

morachi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages morachi

Add me to those that think this shirt is in very bad taste. It isn't edgy it's just wrong. I fail to see the humor or appeal.

michaelvella


quality posts: 13 Private Messages michaelvella
redstang wrote:+1. Can't believe all the outrage.



Lots of people tend to be offended by everything. Usually it's:
A) they're not really all there
B) they have an inflated opinion of their own opinion and need to have it validated constantly - because:
C) they were not raised right, in that their parents told them that every thought and utterance was special. Hint: it's not.

mariorpg


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mariorpg

A staple in the candy corn? You monster...

Mavyn


quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
phoenixgirrl wrote:I adore them. So now there are 2 of us.

I moved a few years ago, though, and can't find the bags of the Halloween Mary Janes. I may be one of the few people upset by this.



You could be the same person. Or a robot.

I suspect that if you can't find them locally, a number of people would be willing to mail you theirs.

I was surprised to find Mary Janes in the store here year round. Who knew.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

agoering


quality posts: 0 Private Messages agoering
firesleuth wrote:This "artist" is a sick-o! It is a perverted T-Shirt and should be banned. This will give some nuts out there some new ideas on how to hurt children. Shirtwoot, you should be ashamed at your shortsighted lack of class.



Who are all these ridiculous people who think crazies troll shirtwoot looking for decades old ideas about how to harm kids? Kinda want to get this just to wear whenever I'm in the candy aisle.

joeman1890


quality posts: 1 Private Messages joeman1890

I'd buy this specifically for wearing while handing out treats if it didn't all but guarantee a visit from the police.

I love it.

robertwooddellweaver


quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
VenusAD wrote:
Have you guys every heard of Snopes.com? You should really check it out. Like, daily.



You guys every heard of Aristotle? Really smart guy. Claimed men had more teeth than women. Apparently never looked in a woman's mouth.

Snopes is pretty good. But if you google for halloween candy tainting, you can find people asserting that there aren't any documented cases (including the Snopes article) as well as small town newspapers citing police reports of such incidents.

These won't make widely documented stories -- in most cities, there is sufficient pain and anguish that someone finding a needle in food is not newsworthy. But to say it never happens seems to miss the obvious point in front of everyone. Of course this kind of petty malice occurs. But also of course it is rare and not especially important.

But I do agree that putting things like sabers or nun-chucks or cannon in the candy would have been more humorous. (I kind of like the tooth, though...)

bradlerdad


quality posts: 5 Private Messages bradlerdad

This shirt makes me hungry.

fredges


quality posts: 2 Private Messages fredges

I think my little brother probably ate everything on that list, but without the candy around it. :D

My mom had to scrape out a mouthful of cigarette butts once, when he found somebody had dumped their car's ash tray in a park. Ew.

[ ] Offended
[ ] Not Offended
[ X ] Thinks it's hilarious, but could understand how some people could be offended, and sympathizes, but thinks they should "let the kids dance".

dirtdirt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dirtdirt
robertwooddellweaver wrote:

These won't make widely documented stories -- in most cities, there is sufficient pain and anguish that someone finding a needle in food is not newsworthy. But to say it never happens seems to miss the obvious point in front of everyone. Of course this kind of petty malice occurs. But also of course it is rare and not especially important.



I totally disagree. I think that the reaction to this shirt combined with the newsmedia's general skew towards the sensational and tawdry shows that this is, for whatever constellation of reasons, something that people are "up" about. If there was/were verifiable cases it would be big news. National news.

The one case in Idaho was big news, and the only other one in 40 years that gets brought up is the kid in Santa Fe - a fifteen year old boy, and a single instance. My "that kid's a punk, and he planted it" alarm is going off wildly.

Needless to say: it's a terrifying thought. But realistically all it is is a thought. That's what the shirt is about.

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

bradlerdad wrote:This shirt makes me hungry.



do you have pica?


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

amroyo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo

General consensus from my absolutely scientific office poll is that this shirt is funny.

It clearly represents someone taking the precaution of x-raying the candy and discovering the concealed items (which are absurd when you really look at it. Safety pin in a Smarties roll?).

No child was hurt as a result of this shirt.

Who would have thought a halloween shirt would rouse more ire than Monday's political shirt?

mebekili


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

The psychos out there don't need to be given ideas from t-shirts -- I'm disgusted by this one myself. Boooooo hissssssss!

jadis4742 wrote:Wait, no one else thinks this is messed up? No one remembers the days when this stuff ACTUALLY HAPPENED and hurt kids? No one knows this is the reason parents are warned to only let their kids have sealed candy from recognizable brands?

I know you were trying to be edgy, Shirt Woot, but this is just in bad taste. I think I'm out for good now.



bpr2


quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2
PemberDucky wrote:do you have pica?



heh

that was fun while it lasted!

RobinBobcat


quality posts: 44 Private Messages RobinBobcat

You know.. on a somewhat related concept - it occurs to me that powerful neodymium magnets are available these days, and much, much cheaper than x-ray machines. Have a nice little arrangement where the candy passes by, anything with any signifigant metal content gets yanked to the side.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

wethesockmonkeys


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wethesockmonkeys
haxrox wrote:This could have been a way better joke and avoided the backlash by putting absurd items in the candy, like a cannon, chainsaw, morningstar, nun-chucks, etc.



I never thought of that but I think you nailed it. Chainsaw in the snickers bar = preposterous. Needles in the snickers bar is just possible enough to be creepy. If the tainted candy scare of yesteryear never happened this would be paramount to suggesting this DOES happen. I think the voices of "Bad call, Woot" far outweigh the voices of "Oh you guys are all uptight".